• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
She isn't really, but as far as popular characters go, she's the most obvious choice for Rogue

The most obvious choice for Rogue is and always has been Garona.

The fact that Valeera was chosen as the Rogue hero over her has always baffled me.

Triz

Should I hold onto a duplicate alexstraza in case of a nerf coming up with the new expansion or DE it now?

Also what's with the hunter deck I ran into 5 times in a row with alexstraza and rag.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The most obvious choice for Rogue is and always has been Garona.

The fact that Valeera was chosen as the Rogue hero over her has always baffled me.

Well, she was going to have a starring role in Warcraft 3 before being dropped, and then was in WoW's beta before being removed from the game for over half a decade, so I'm assuming they're just really not very fond of her.

Should I hold onto a duplicate alexstraza in case of a nerf coming up with the new expansion or DE it now?

Also what's with the hunter deck I ran into 5 times in a row with alexstraza and rag.
She's guaranteed to be nerfed, meaning that she's worth 1600 dust for you. Wait.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well, she was going to have a starring role in Warcraft 3 before being dropped, and then was in WoW's beta before being removed from the game for over half a decade, so I'm assuming they're just really not very fond of her.

She's in the freaking movie.

uN7rgCe.jpg

Valeera has the best quotes in the game, so I'm cool with her.

I honestly wish they went for more of a "create an avatar" method over the heroes route, because I love playing Undead, and there aren't a lot of noteworthy Undead. :-/

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but Duncan Jones went with Orcs vs. Humans despite Blizzard really wanting to do Warcraft 3 instead.

You can't blame the dude for wanting to start at the beginning of the story. WC3 might be better known among the fans, but the general movie-going populace isn't gonna know the backstory for who Thrall is and why we should give a crap about the Horde or any of that stuff.

Makes sense to me even if I think the movies looks kinda bad.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
And if (when?) the movie bombs we'll never get to see the story we wanted in movie form ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you really want that story in movie form though? Blizzard isn't exactly great at writing. That movie is equally likely to be bad.

inky

Did you really want that story in movie form though? Blizzard isn't exactly great at writing. That movie is equally likely to be bad.

Well, it's the one I'm familiar with (I'm not exactly a Warcraft lore connoisseur) so yeah. Arthas fall from grace is interesting and could be good in movie form. Too much baggage or not, when you adhere to the source material this much you're bound to lose some audience anyway, so easing people in might be moot in the end.

Valeera has the best quotes in the game, so I'm cool with her.

I honestly wish they went for more of a "create an avatar" method over the heroes route, because I love playing Undead, and there aren't a lot of noteworthy Undead. :-/

Nathanos Blightcaller could be a hunter. Sylvanas is already a card so that rules her out. The only other undead characters I can think of are death knights and I'm sure Blizzard will eventually introduce them as a class of their own.

Nathanos Blightcaller could be a hunter. Sylvanas is already a card so that rules her out. The only other undead characters I can think of are death knights and I'm sure Blizzard will eventually introduce them as a class of their own.
Lady Liadrin already had a card. :p

Honestly, they should have just used that art for the portrait. A thousand times better.

Good to know about Nathanos, but I doubt it will happen. It's weird that they took Sylvannas, the Bloodhooves, and Mal'Ganis and made them into cards (plus others). It makes me think they weren't sure how to run the game.

manhack

Decided to play a home brew Reno Lock deck after getting triggered by it a few too many times last night. Just tapped into Reno at 4 health against a face shaman who burned my face.

I added a bunch of cards with random effects, some board clears and Reno. Going full RNGstone these days.

ZennithRising

Neo Member
Hello all! First of all I would like to say I am new to the game, loving it very much, but one thing that does frustrate me is the balance between people who put money into the game (expansions, card packs) and the ones like me, started 2 weeks ago, brought only 5 packs from in game currency. I am starting to understand the game, I can manage my cards, my hero HP, but almost every time the player that I am fighting against deploys an OP card that I have never seen before and makes me lose the game. I win about 1 mach in 7 or 8, sometimes even more (1 in 10 maches). Its starting to get frustrating, I even had my friends watching and guide me (who are more experienced) and even they admitted that most of the time (80+%) I lose because of the cards that I don`t have and would have helped me. I also read a buch of s*** on the internet about the game, about very frustrated people because of this, but I just can`t make out the truth in all the s***storm of QQ. So I turn to you Gaf:

Could you please explain me what should I do? Start putting money in the game if I want to play it on the long term? Should I just do my quests like a good heartstone citizen and buy some more packs from in game currency and hope for the best? What expansion should I start with? How does the expansions work like? For example if I choose to buy thr Wispers of the old gods, will I get all of the new cards for my money or it is RNG based like with the in game currency? meaning that I may not get all the cards for my money`s worth?

Sorry for the wall of text but I just want to put in context my qestions and I would like legitimate answers. I really enjoy the game, but in the same time after every loss I feel left out of something. Is it that straightforward? Put money in the game if you want to enjoy it?

Thank you Gaf!

Hello all! First of all I would like to say I am new to the game, loving it very much, but one thing that does frustrate me is the balance between people who put money into the game (expansions, card packs) and the ones like me, started 2 weeks ago, brought only 5 packs from in game currency. I am starting to understand the game, I can manage my cards, my hero HP, but almost every time the player that I am fighting against deploys an OP card that I have never seen before and makes me lose the game. I win about 1 mach in 7 or 8, sometimes even more (1 in 10 maches). Its starting to get frustrating, I even had my friends watching and guide me (who are more experienced) and even they admitted that most of the time (80+%) I lose because of the cards that I don`t have and would have helped me. I also read a buch of s*** on the internet about the game, about very frustrated people because of this, but I just can`t make out the truth in all the s***storm of QQ. So I turn to you Gaf:

Could you please explain me what should I do? Start putting money in the game if I want to play it on the long term? Should I just do my quests like a good heartstone citizen and buy some more packs from in game currency and hope for the best? What expansion should I start with? How does the expansions work like? For example if I choose to buy thr Wispers of the old gods, will I get all of the new cards for my money or it is RNG based like with the in game currency? meaning that I may not get all the cards for my money`s worth?

Sorry for the wall of text but I just want to put in context my qestions and I would like legitimate answers. I really enjoy the game, but in the same time after every loss I feel left out of something. Is it that straightforward? Put money in the game if you want to enjoy it?

Thank you Gaf!

It's not the answer you'll want to hear but investing money is the easiest way to catch up. If you don't want to spend money then it's just going to be a grind until you start to get more of the core cards of Hearthstone.

Expansions come in two forms. You have the regular expansions which are card pack based (Classic, Goblins vs. Gnomes, The Grand Tournament, Whispers of the Old Gods), essentially meaning that what you get is left up to RNG when you open your pack, similar to Classic packs. The other is adventures (Curse of Naxxramas, Blackrock Mountain, League of Exploreres) which are a series of PvE encounters that reward predetermined cards when you complete them.

The Classic set is going to be your best bet as it's pretty much the foundation of Hearthstone so that's really where you should be investing for the time being, whether real money or gold. If you decide you want to spend money then I recommend buying a bunch of Classic packs to build your collection. Or if you decide you would rather grab an adventure, I would recommend League of Explorers as it has a nice array of cards and will be usable in Standard format. It's also worth noting that it's more efficient to purchase the adventures with real money rather than gold so that might also influence your decision.

If you do decide to spend real money, I recommend using Amazon coins if you have the ability to do so. You save a decent amount of money this way and your dollar goes farther. So if you have an android device that can run Hearthstone I recommend using that method.

Aside from that, just stay vigilant in doing your quests and make sure you do the Tavern Brawl every week for the free pack. The grind definitely sucks when starting out, especially now when so many players have a decent sized collection, but if you keep at it and keep acquiring card packs you'll eventually find yourself with enough of the core cards to find more success.

Mulgrok

F-Flying machine? Am I stupid or is that card horrible?

Also I'm no expert but have you considered Korkron Elites?

with inner rage, cruel taskmaster and the screw jank I have lots of ways to buff damage. It is always funny to see people ignore it to their own detriment.

EDIT: also get combos with spare parts for even more burst damage. The power of windfury.

I might take out piloted shredders and put in korkron elites.

Shiver

just buy 15 classic packs to get you started. you'll enjoy the game way more. do all your daily quests. re-roll the 40 gold ones.

Par Score

Thank you Gaf!

If you don't want to commit any money: Do your quests, play the Tavern Brawls, spend all of your gold to play Arena, and grind your way to rank 20 every month. It won't take that long to get a decent enough collection to start making it down to Rank 18, Rank 15, etc. and Arena is totally "fair" when it comes to cards.

If you do want to commit a little money: Buy Classic Packs (they'll be around forever and form a good "base" of cards), Buy the adventures (I'd probably still recommend grabbing at least the first wing of Naxx before it goes away if you can) not just for the cards but because they're fucking fun.

If you want to commit a whole lot of money: Pre-order Whispers of the Old Gods, with the 50 packs you should be almost guaranteed to make some sort of viable C'thun deck.

If you only have fun when you win, or can't have fun if you lose to bullshit: Stop playing Hearthstone (and I mean that in the nicest way possible, there are people who really should stop, but instead seem to want to torment themselves by playing a game that clearly frustrates them, when they could be playing a game that they actually enjoy). You will always lose matches, you will always lose to utter bullshit, you will never have all of the cards you want, you will always get beaten by cards you don't have.

manhack

Forced to watch Thijs because 2 top streamers are viewbotters
1x

Watching Lothar now. He is way cooler and is running Malygos shaman.

He just had a Trolden moment where he waited until the last possible moment against a Reno Mage and used ancestor call to pull his Malygos and the mages Reno. He popped the Ice Block at 1 health and it was GG from there.

I remember a few jokes about how Ancestor's Call was a great Reno counter :D

I know it's Eater around the corner, but I keep running into shitloads of Preists... and for some reason, I keep losing.

Between the AoE healing/damage, the cheap removal and minion stealing my heart sinks every time I play one. Gobby twats, too.

Thank you Gaf!
I started playing in the last week of January, and I hit rank 5 in the game a few weeks ago, which puts me in the top 15% or so of ranked players. So, here are some honest answers: yes, there is a pay to win element in the game. If two guys start out, and one puts $100 into the game while the other doesn't, the one that put the money in will destroy the other.

However, you CAN compete on the cheap. I put a total of $20 into the game, just to get the Naxx adventures done. That's it. The rest has been earned through grinding quests and win rewards, and have two decks that are considered "complete" by most standards. I don't regret the $20 I put in at all. If I put more money in, I would have even more options right now. At this point, I am fine with the slow expansion of deck options through hard work.

Every card game costs money if you want to compete. This one costs less than most. The key is understanding how to maximize your gold while ensurings its longevity, and knowing what you want to go for. Google Rewards helps, too.

I know it's Eater around the corner, but I keep running into shitloads of Preists... and for some reason, I keep losing.

Between the AoE healing/damage, the cheap removal and minion stealing my heart sinks every time I play one. Gobby twats, too.
People trash talk Paladins, but at least you feel like you are playing against someone when you fight them. I loathe Priests.

Can someone please help me

Everytime I've tried to play Hearthstone the last 2 days, I get stuck on the main loading screen and then told I got disconnected, needing me to relaunch.

It just keeps doing this. Im on MAC, and everytime I used to launch HS, I had to accept the firewall warning to allow HS to connect to my MAC.

On my firewall settings, HS is allowed access, but it keeps asking me to allow access anyway. It's never been a problem, and I am not sure if this is the problem now, but it's really frustrating that this came from nowhere and I cant play anymore

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess the bad thing about this voting is now we have to wait until Kripp decides he wants to reveal his card.

He claimed on steam the video about the card was already shot and edited and ready to go whenever Blizzard said it was ok. So hopefully not too long?

He claimed on steam the video about the card was already shot and edited and ready to go whenever Blizzard said it was ok. So hopefully not too long?

He said once Blizzard gives him the thumbs-up, it would be an hour or two

Edit: Kripp just posted on Twitter his card will be revealed at 4 Eastern and it looks to be a Shaman legendary:

CeKydo3UUAApduY.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, since its a Shaman Legendary, its gotta be something like
8 mana 7/2, overload 5, battle cry: Do -2 to 6 damage to 4 random targets.

Top Bottom