• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Was reading through that interview with Mike Donais again about deck recipes. He labels murlocs as one of Shaman's "class themes."

Man, they sure fucked that up then didn't they? Three murloc cards exclusive to Shaman and two are absolute garbage. The third isn't even really played for murloc synergy (or much at all anymore).

The sad thing is that, it makes it pretty likely that Shaman will be getting a murloc card every expansion and I have no faith in Blizzard to make them worthwhile. More so when they insist on giving stuff like Murloc Knight and Anyfin to Paladin.
Tribes being related to classes is stupid in general. Mechs did it best, where each class got a mech or two that let you give the tribe its own flavor. No one wants Shaman to be about Murlocs except for Blizzard. It would make SO much more sense to give each class enough to rock their 3 WoW skill trees.

Sande

My experience with the brawl so far: Rafaam pulls some insane board clear out of his ass when things are starting to look impossible. KT still wins by a landslide.

I've lost once as KT but that was completely my own fault for over-committing with easy to clear minions.

My experience with the brawl so far: Rafaam pulls some insane board clear out of his ass when things are starting to look impossible. KT still wins by a landslide.

I've lost once as KT but that was completely my own fault for over-committing with easy to clear minions.
Raf is basically playing control vs. Zoo. You need to get all the clears to stand a chance.

Raf is basically playing control vs. Zoo. You need to get all the clears to stand a chance.

KT's minion quality is stupidly high and he can keep spamming them with Duplicate and his hero power. He will eventually run over Rafaam with high value cards in most games. He also has Counterspell and Loatheb to block Rafaam's AOEs.

I didn't remember arena being so garbage like these past months.
Half of the machtes lost beacuse of fucking RNG: fucking discover bullshit, fucking mc tech garbage.
Thanks god I stopped spending money for this game since TGT. No way blizzard is getting my money again in the future.

Crosseyes

Banned
Lol I've played 10 games of the tavern brawl and have gotten Rafaam every single time. On the plus side I've gotten pretty good at countering what KT can do. Of his whole deck why the god damn mad scientist?! I often just use the pit snake polymorph on it so he doesn't just get to reanimate and pull enough secrets that would make Mysterious challenger impressed.

Zoggy

Lol I've played 10 games of the tavern brawl and have gotten Rafaam every single time. On the plus side I've gotten pretty good at countering what KT can do. Of his whole deck why the god damn mad scientist?! I often just use the pit snake polymorph on it so he doesn't just get to reanimate and pull enough secrets that would make Mysterious challenger impressed.

KT's deck has two duplicates, 2 counter spells and one vaporize.

its actually a good idea to keep killing his mad scientists. turning them into pit viper is a terrible idea because he'll just get infinite pit vipers with his hero power meaning you'll never keep a good minion on board.

Crosseyes

Banned
KT's deck has two duplicates, 2 counter spells and one vaporize.

its actually a good idea to keep killing his mad scientists. turning them into pit viper is a terrible idea because he'll just get infinite pit vipers with his hero power meaning you'll never keep a good minion on board.
I find dealing with that 1hp pit snake over and over is a lot easier than having those secrets keep going off on bigger more threatening minions. If I did happen to get a chance to play KT I would guess that any non boss minion is just garbage dead in your hand. Most games I've won the final action before concede was a reanimate into the 1/1 spider token.

manhack

I didn't remember arena being so garbage like these past months.
Half of the machtes lost beacuse of fucking RNG: fucking discover bullshit, fucking mc tech garbage.
Thanks god I stopped spending money for this game since TGT. No way blizzard is getting my money again in the future.

Mc tech I understand, but discover is the best kind of RNG since it is not inherently unfair.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Divine favor is a function of the environment.

No one cared during GvG because the best deck, Mech Mage, vomited it's hand faster than anyone else. Same deal even further back during Naxx/Vanilla. Nor would it be an issue now, for example, if instead of Secretdin we got Control Paladin as the best shell.

Right now there's:

1) A paladin deck that runs exclusively on curve
2) Multiple tier 1/2 control decks

Of course if there's an environment that fulfills all the prerequisites for a conditional card then that card is going to seem overpowered. This is a very different problem than generally too good cards like Thaurissan or Boom, or oppressive mechanics like Patron/Warsong.

In between a new set and the introduction of rotation and a re balancing of classic cards why bother with favor at all?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So thinking about the nerfs, here's what they've said so far.

10-12 cards getting nerfed.

Heavily indicated cards:
- Master of Disguise
- At least one other Rogue card
- Implied at least two Druid cards, maybe three since they were targeting Combo, Keeper, and Ancient of Lore
- Big Game Hunter
- "The Giants" (presumably Molten and Mountain)
- Leper Gnome
- Knife Juggler
- Implications about at least one Silence card, presumably Owl

That gives us 11 already.

They mentioned that the most complained about cards are what they tend to look at.

For the 12th, that leaves what, Divine Favor? Abusive Sergeant? Alexstrazsa? Is there anything else realistically getting nerfed? They ruled out Innervate and Wild Growth.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hasn't Brode said he doesn't like Antonidas?

Also where is the Master of Disguise choice coming from? That card was never run even in Malyrogue/Miracle's heydey.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Also where is the Master of Disguise choice coming from? That card was never run even in Malyrogue/Miracle's heydey.

Design space limitations. They want to make neutral minions that would be broken by getting permanent stealth like Animated Armor.

It's part of why Warsong Commander got nerfed as well. Dreadsteed was originally a Neutral back in the Naxx era, but you can see where the problem with that arises.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

It limits the design space for neutrals. They could never print a neutral like Malganis or Animated Armor.

Apathy

Heavily indicated cards:
- Master of Disguise
- Implied at least two Druid cards, maybe three since they were targeting Combo, Keeper, and Ancient of Lore
- Big Game Hunter
- Leper Gnome
- Knife Juggler

They mentioned that the most complained about cards are what they tend to look at.

For the 12th, that leaves what, Divine Favor? Abusive Sergeant? Alexstrazsa? Is there anything else realistically getting nerfed? They ruled out Innervate and Wild Growth.

100% Alex. She's not getting through unnerfed.

Mc tech I understand, but discover is the best kind of RNG since it is not inherently unfair.
I like discover in constructed: sometimes it's like having a sideboard, it let you choose different cards depending on the match up. But in arena it only adds more RNG on top of a clown fiesta of RNG.
You feel like you are never in control of the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Alex has to die. Are we sure it's only up to 12 and not more?

Thats what they said at the last event, but its not like they couldn't change their minds.

What I'm expecting is that only Rogue and Druid will get nerfed class cards, and the rest will be Neutrals.

Yeah. They could change their minds, but it was the range we were given.

Of what I've listed, Knife Juggler has probably had the least strong implications, but they're still pretty strong (and it was implied that it'd either have its stats or mana cost changed instead of the effect).

Tacitus_

Motherfucking hell

I'm in a comfortable position in the brawl, then my naga gives KT Forcetank MAX and he duplicates it and rezzes it twice in a row.

While when I play KT I curve from 4+

Apathy

Yeah. They could change their minds, but it was the range we were given.

Of what I've listed, Knife Juggler has probably had the least strong implications, but they're still pretty strong (and it was implied that it'd either have its stats or mana cost changed instead of the effect).

To kj, I figured if they changed it so it only worked on played minions and not summoned it would fix a bunch of issues people had with it.

Tacitus_

yup, t1 coin wild growth, t2 innervate innervate boom, I kill boom on the following turn and I die on t6 because every bot does 4 to my face

druids :<

Ladekabel

So, I'm trying to make a Malygos Dragon Priest since I like Malylock and Malygos.

This is what I have so far:

malydrapriest2nloc.png

Pretty standard list. Been playing a little bit with it. Don't have much experience with Dragon Priest. Hit or miss if I draw my dragons which led to keeping Malygos during mulligan so I have an activator in my hand. Similiar to Malylock my win condition isn't Malgos + spell damage. Not having Life Tap hurts sometimes but I've never run out of cards.

Anyone got some suggestions?

greepoman

So, I'm trying to make a Malygos Dragon Priest since I like Malylock and Malygos.

This is what I have so far:

Pretty standard list. Been playing a little bit with it. Don't have much experience with Dragon Priest. Hit or miss if I draw my dragons which led to keeping Malygos during mulligan so I have an activator in my hand. Similiar to Malylock my win condition isn't Malgos + spell damage. Not having Life Tap hurts sometimes but I've never run out of cards.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Rend dies too easily and is conditional, might as well run another entomb if you want removal. That or another Nova. Looks pretty standard otherwise. I think the deck might win more cause of dragons than malygos, but it's good to have a burst option. The other variation of burst priest runs auchenai, justicar,and flash heals which has more utility.

Catvoca

Banned
Oh shit, Undertaker back in the meta?
lol
. Seems weird adding a deathrattle synergy card right after a lot of the best/most played deathrattles in the game just got cycled out (shredders, creepers, belchers etc.). It's really cool but I'm not sure it's good enough for to be played as a 10 mana card, it's really slow. I'll probably be wrong like always though.

That 2-2 is insane. Like in nearly every aggro-midrange deck's two drop insane (especially with a juggler nerf) edit: apparently it's rogue only. Card is considerable less exciting, and current variations of rogue probably wouldn't even run it. Insane in arena though, rogue arena master race will continue dominating.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
N'Zoth is making me have flashbacks to Varian, guys.

Would have been a whole lot better if Sludge Belcher stayed around. We don't have any other GOOD Deathrattle taunts right?

Apathy

Going to have to build a deck similarly to how anyfin paldins do. First it will start will people making decks with as many deathrattle minions possible, but people will realize that they overfill or some are just bad so they will get really targeted and good deathrattle minions and build a good deck around that.

Right now, Tirion comes to mind, drop this and get back a tirion. add in a sylvanas too, dirty.

Owzers

Going to have to build a deck similarly to how anyfin paldins do. First it will start will people making decks with as many deathrattle minions possible, but people will realize that they overfill or some are just bad so they will get really targeted and good deathrattle minions and build a good deck around that.

Right now, Tirion comes to mind, drop this and get back a tirion. add in a sylvanas too, dirty.

Priests see what you are thinking. *entombs both your deathrattles*

Yup, seems viable for control Paladin if it takes off.

Resummoning a Sylvanas and Tirion is game ending, not to mention whatever other deathrattles you're running.

N'Zoth looks crazy. That's like an Onyxia but instead of 1/1 Welps, you get a board full of your other cards back. You could also compare it to KT, but you don't have to have an intact board in order to get value. Just imagine a Paladin deck that drops this on turn 10 and gets Sylvanas, Tirion, and a couple of Loot Hoarders.

Cat Party

Polymorph, entomb, and Hex become that much more important.

Control Paladin with Tirion, Sylvanas and Cairne seems like it could work in theory. Even throw in stuff like Huge Toad because why not.

Also this could be reasonable for Dreadsteed decks. Not quite as good as Baron RIvendare but it's something.

13randO

Heavily indicated cards:
- Master of Disguise
- Big Game Hunter
- Leper Gnome
- Knife Juggler

I can't wait to put all of these cards in the dust mill...

Top Bottom