• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Apathy

You get a card when it dies. Doesn't matter what the other class is, any card is better than nothing.

I like the card, but that moment you get sense demons it's going to make you have to laugh

It won't work in any deck because it's a 2/2 with random outcomes giving you cards that have possibly no synergy whatsoever with what you're trying to do. How much burgle saw play? This is even worse actually. Yeah, that one trolden video with burgle etc etc, it's a joke RNG card.

This is not Dark Peddler for rogue, Dark Peddler gives you specific cards, 1 mana cost cards are generally strong for their cost and you have the increased chance of getting cards from YOUR class.

If this card gave you cards from your own class too then it would be interesting. I don't see why you wouldn't play loot hoarder instead. Cards from your own deck will generally be better for you than say getting a paladin secret or something unplayable by playing a 2/2.

Oh man I would be so down with it giving you a random rogue class card over a mini burgle.

It won't work in any deck because it's a 2/2 with random outcomes giving you cards that have possibly no synergy whatsoever with what you're trying to do. How much burgle saw play? This is even worse actually. Yeah, that one trolden video with burgle etc etc, it's a joke RNG card.

This is not Dark Peddler for rogue, Dark Peddler gives you specific cards, 1 mana cost cards are generally strong for their cost and you have the increased chance of getting cards from YOUR class.

If this card gave you cards from your own class too then it would be interesting. I don't see why you wouldn't play loot hoarder instead. Cards from your own deck will generally be better for you than say getting a paladin secret or something unplayable by playing a 2/2.

Burgle doesn't have a 2/2 body attached.

It's a good card and probably among the best 2 drop options for Rogue now. It may be less consistent than Peddler but its ceiling is also infinitely higher.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I actually think you would just run like 10+ death rattles.

Lets say you are making a Wild Deck. If I was doing some Mid Range Hunter Deck, I'd want to run Mad Scientists, Sludge Beltecher, Piloted Shreader, Mechanic Yeti, Sylvanas, Sneeds, and Savannah Highmane. While you may think you shouldn't include weaker death rattles, in the majority of games you will draw you N'zoth long before you draw 6 death rattles, if you only run 6. Ideally, you want to make it so if you Draw N'zoth in the first 10 turns, you can play him the moment you hit 10 mana for the big swing turn.

It won't work in any deck because it's a 2/2 with random outcomes giving you cards that have possibly no synergy whatsoever with what you're trying to do. How much burgle saw play?

A lot of rouge decks I have faced actually run it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Undercity Huckster is waaaay better than Burgle.

Asbel

For N'Zoth, if more than 6 deathrattle minions have died, how is it decided which minions come back? Ordering or RNG?
N'Zoth embraces chaos, so the resurrected Deathrattle minions will be random.

Random huh? So if it's random like KT's hero power in Tavern, I'll get six Loot Hoarders. Cool.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Random huh? So if it's random like KT's hero power in Tavern, I'll get six Loot Hoarders. Cool.

No, it's random from the pool of your Deathrattle cards that died, so unless you had six Loot Hoarders die, you are not getting six Loot Hoarders.

Pooya

Not surprising some posters don't know what a good rogue card looks like and can't tell what's good or what's not :p

Amazing 2 drop? Ok, see you at launch.

If this card gave you cards from your own class too then it would be interesting. I don't see why you wouldn't play loot hoarder instead. Cards from your own deck will generally be better for you than say getting a paladin secret or something unplayable by playing a 2/2. Why rogue can't have a discover card too? No one knows because Blizzard clearly doesn't know what to do with the class.

I was thinking the same thing about Huckster. It has 1 stat more than Loot Hoarder, but you get a random card rather than a card specifically put into your deck. It just doesn't seem to be significantly better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Loot hoarder is better for a typical rogue deck.

The problem with the "steal your opponent's class cards" theme, aside from being generally worse than how Priest does it, is that synergy is inherently impractical.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why do you have to make this worse?!?! lol

So I've been thinking:

The design team is going to try to avoid cards that can be splashed too easily in every deck. Think Piloted Shredder or Dr. Boom. If they could do it all over again, they would release Dr. Boom either as a class card or change it in a way so that it couldn't be thrown into so many different types of decks.

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/506312-monk-visits-blizzard-changes-coming-to-standard

How about Paladin Shredder?

Catvoca

Banned
It's impossible to really rate Rogue cards when we don't know how they're going to nerf the existing class cards. It's hard to imagine what Rogue even looks like in Standard without Oil, and with some big spells nerfed.

Pooya

A lot of rouge decks I have faced actually run it.

Really? At low ranks maybe in joke fun decks sure...

Undercity Huckster is waaaay better than Burgle.

Better than burgle is "AMAZING CARD" now?

It's more like burgle didn't work, let's try a less awful one next set. Someone at Blizzard has this idea of Rogue class stealing cards from opponent class and thinks it's really good to have a WORSE thoughtsteal for the class.

Rogue already has had better 2 drops that didn't see much play, you think people will play THIS? I'm honestly surprised how off you can be with car d evaluating here..

Dawg

is it difficult to get into this game as a new player? As in, is it doable to get good quick?

And how is the SP content? And F2P/money-wise?

ZealousD

Better than burgle is "AMAZING CARD" now?

I said waaaaaaay better.

Getting a random card is worth like 1 mana on its own (not the 1.5-2 mana of draw or disocver) so Undercity Huckster is like a 1 mana 2/2. That's nuts.

I said waaaaaaay better.

Getting a random card is worth like 1 mana on its own (not the 1.5-2 mana of draw or disocver) so Undercity Huckster is like a 1 mana 2/2. That's nuts.

You're assuming that the card you pull from it is going to be useful enough to justify the fact that you played a 2/2 on turn 2, which is a very weak play. Mad Scientist played secrets(that were worth up to 3 mana) for free, and it pulled them from your deck so you know what kind of value you're getting. With this card you're gambling.
Hard to tell as there is (hopefully) still more deathrattle cards to be revealed. I imagine you'd build a deck around it.

Doesn't mean you'd want to cram in as many deathrattles as you can though, Anyfin only put in the exact murlocs it wanted to summon, I assume decks built around this card are going to be similar(even though it's not aiming to OTK).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
is it difficult to get into this game as a new player? As in, is it doable to get good quick?

And how is the SP content? And F2P/money-wise?

The game is pretty easy to learn, but there is a lot of cards making it hard for a new player to collect, and figure out how to prioritize.

Single Player Content is fun, but there isn't much you can access without grinding/paying up. The game is designed to be multiplayer, so the meet of the game is the multiplayer content.

The game can be played as a purely F2P game, but for me it was a lot more enjoyable to put down some money and get a large number of cards, since I don't want to feel pressured that I have to grind gold. Its a lot cheaper then a real card game though.

That hero power must be bugged.

So I've been thinking:

How about Paladin Shredder?
A card that shreds Paladins?

I can only see that Rogue card seeing play in a Deathrattle Raptor Rogue deck.

It's way better than Burgle though.
Also a great Timmy card, to be sure. I think it will see play in some decks, at least.

Dawg

The game is pretty easy to learn, but there is a lot of cards making it hard for a new player to collect, and figure out how to prioritize.

Single Player Content is fun, but there isn't much you can access without grinding/paying up. The game is designed to be multiplayer, so the meet of the game is the multiplayer content.

The game can be played as a purely F2P game, but for me it was a lot more enjoyable to put down some money and get a large number of cards, since I don't want to feel pressured that I have to grind gold. Its a lot cheaper then a real card game though.

I see. I was really addicted to Gwent in Witcher 3 and while I know it plays differently, I kinda want to get into a full card game.

ZealousD

You're assuming that the card you pull from it is going to be useful enough to justify the fact that you played a 2/2 on turn 2, which is a very weak play.

Warlocks are doing that all the time these days. Priests are playing 1/2s. Haunted Creeper is 1/2 before its deathrattle. Sure the effect is worse than real draw but the body is not all that horrible.

I see. I was really addicted to Gwent in Witcher 3 and while I know it plays differently, I kinda want to get into a full card game.
I just started two months ago, and I have 2.5 competent decks. I put $20 into the game, but I have been playing religiously to get my collection.

Sheroking

There might be a control Deathrattle deck that includes N'Zoth somewhere down the line. You'd need to NOT play a bunch of deathrattle cards and only include a few select ones that you want to guarantee. A turn 10 where you play a 5-7 and get a Sylvanas and Cairn on top of some little shit is pretty strong, as long as you don't die because you had a really slow turn 10.

I would think Mage (Ronin) or Paladin (Tirion) would be the better classes, but these things always seem to work better in Warrior because they're the only class that can reliably hit 10 mana. Maybe that's not so hard in Standard.

Catvoca

Banned

In terms of getting into a CCG, this is definitely the easiest, but that still means it takes a lot of time and effort to learn the game, and even more time,effort or money to be able to get a sizable collection of cards.

I'd recommend you download it and play the tutorial and some games against bots to see if you could find yourself getting into it.

There might be a control Deathrattle deck that includes N'Zoth somewhere down the line. You'd need to NOT play a bunch of deathrattle cards and only include a few select ones that you want to guarantee. A turn 10 where you play a 5-7 and get a Sylvanas and Cairn on top of some little shit is pretty strong.

I would think Mage (Ronin) or Paladin (Tirion) would be the better classes, but these things always seem to work better in Warrior because they're the only class that can reliably hit 10 mana. Maybe that's not so hard in Standard.
Crazy idea, but it might have value in a Face deck, too. My Hybrid Hunter has Shredder, Highmane, Scientist, and Creeper, and against CW and Priest I almost always have to go to turn 10 but I'm out of steam. Dropping this to repopulate my board could give a win right there.

$20 ain't bad for two months.
Not at all, and I only spent the $20 because it would have taken me 3 weeks of play to unlock one specific card I needed to complete my Hybrid Hunter deck. Right now, I have a system set up so I won't ever have to pay a dollar again, and it is working beautifully.

On that note, if anyone is a budget player like I am: Google Opinion Rewards! I am about to get my third free Adventure wing from it this week.

Dahbomb

Crazy idea, but it might have value in a Face deck, too. My Hybrid Hunter has Shredder, Highmane, Scientist, and Creeper, and against CW and Priest I almost always have to go to turn 10 but I'm out of steam. Dropping this to repopulate my board could give a win right there.
Talking about cards that won't be in Standard... AYY!

Warlocks are doing that all the time these days. Priests are playing 1/2s. Haunted Creeper is 1/2 before its deathrattle. Sure the effect is worse than real draw but the body is not all that horrible.
2 of those are discoveries which are generally more consistent and creeper isn't really comparable because it's basically 3/4 worth of stats. That's the biggest problem with the card, it's extremely inconsistent.

A 10 mana card might help with those particular match ups, but you're probably making a lot of your other match ups way worse. You can't win them all, you probably just need to accept that Warrior and Priest are your low percentage matches. How often are you playing those classes anyway? I see a good number of Priests, but still way fewer than Paladins, Mages, and Druids. Warriors have been pretty uncommon.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Honestly I'd suggest downloading it, and just start playing though the tutorial.

The only warning I could give is that initially, the game hands out a lot of gold for the starter quests. This is not the norm, you can expect to get about 50-100 gold per day if you log in every day and do the daily quests after you get though the starter stuff.

It is advised to try and get every class to level 10 as fast as possible though, that way you have the full basic set unlocked.

Fireblend

Banned
I've spent something like $40 in the 10 or so months I've been playing the game. I'd say enjoying it as a F2P player is actually pretty doable.

Hearthstone fulfills a childhood dream for me. I always wanted to compete in MtG, but that game is ridiculously expensive to keep up with. I wished for years for a F2P MtG, and Hearthstone mostly satisfies that desire. I think the biggest issue that I had to get used to was being able to attack minions. I am still not sure how I feel about that design decision, but I respect how it helps with pacing the game.

Talking about cards that won't be in Standard... AYY!
I am strongly considering focusing on Wild, so my post is relevant to my own thoughts. Most of the GvG cards that drive others insane don't bother me at all. I don't hate Shredder, even...except for the fact that he almost lost me a second Arena match in a row by giving me Cho. I would have lost that, too, if not for top decking an Abusive Sergeant so I could end his irritating existence.

Pooya

There is a huge difference between discover and specific type of random cards than just a random card from your opponent class.

Sure, this card is probably ok against mage but against warrior it's probably a dud as warrior has a lot of awful awful cards for example.

With peddler, you play it fishing for certain cards, even if you don't get them you get a curve filler. With this it's just random and it changes every match depending on your opponent, you don't even get a card when you play it.

You're valuing that one random card way too much for 2/2 body. Dark Peddler isn't good because it gives you a random card, it's good because it gives you random 1 mana card every time you get to choose depending on the situation and your game plan.

It's really simple why one is a good card and why this one isn't. Rogue has many better ways to gain card advantage than playing a 2/2 with random outcomes.

A good deck is about consistency and game plan, this is just whatever.

Catvoca

Banned
whatched some forsen for the reveal, not worth it

I like Forsen when's he's at tournaments and stuff, but his stream is the worst. He openly dislikes the game and pretty much only plays it because he makes a bunch of money off it, he barely talks and just sits in a dark corner drinking, plays horrible music and his chat is some of the worst in all of twitch

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Dark Peddler is a lot better in the context of class.

Being a battlecry alone makes a world of difference for early tempo or late top decks. It's like pre nerf Novice Engineer vs Loot Hoarder.

Dahbomb

There's no doubt that Dark Peddler is much better than this new card. I am just saying that I would consider running it in Raptor Rogue along with that other new Legendary card. That deck really needs some help because a lot of the strong Deathrattles are removed from the game.

Top Bottom