• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

The 2/2 Rogue card is a great card. Can trade with 3/2s and automatically pays for itself by generating a new card.

The Warlock card is incredibly fun-looking, but I doubt it's going to see use in competitive play. On the other hand... I can see it being awesome if you find yourself with a hand full of duds, sort of how a Priest often does in late control games. Usually I play Elise/Golden Monkey with my Priest to remove crappy 0 and 1-mana spells and minions from my hand, and I could see this cheaper spell being an instant and non-Legendary version of Elise for Warlocks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just wait, there is going to be some neutral that makes cards from other classes cost less, and then Renounce Darkness will be competitive.

I wonder if the cost reduction is a buff applied to the card, or an aura put onto your hero.

That Rogue card seems great, the Warlock one looks hilarious but too reliant on luck to be useful

Nothing but Warlock cards in your deck. Turn 1, coin into Renounce Darkness, let's fucking party! I'll try it once.

Luigi87

Just asking for a quick bit of new player advice:
Gold, should I spend it on packs, or better off gambling the 50 extra for an Arena run?

I am not even sure how you make a deck around this card.

Like do you just plop this into your Zoo deck?

Maybe you play it in a Warlock deck that has some very bad match ups (like 7-3ish). Maybe you are playing Handlock against a Hunter and you think your initial hand is bad except this card so you play it on turn 2 and hope to out tempo your opponent with cheaper cards.

Edit: It says Warlock only cards so it only replaces the class specific Warlock cards in your deck/hand with another class card.

I feel like there's something here that's worth exploring. You can choose to keep powerful neutral minions and fill your deck with big drawback Warlock cards that you can replace with another class card.
The big drawback cards cost less than normal, though. You would want more expensive stuff here for discounts.

I almost thought Pitlord had a purpose.

Just asking for a quick bit of new player advice:
Gold, should I spend it on packs, or better off gambling the 50 extra for an Arena run?
If you can go far enough in Arena to ensure the pack is discounted, then Arena. I've been making a small profit on Arena+quests for the last two days, and it feels amazing to have gotten 4 packs and gone from 450g to 600g.

Don't forget adventures!

I can see that Warlock card working in C'thun decks. Keep high tempo through low cost minions to help guarantee turn 10. Maybe make a Warlock deck where a few essential low cost Warlock cards are played before swapping. Blood Imp buffing Druid cards, etc. Doesn't seem great, but that's all I have.

jgminto

N'Zoth is gonna be such an amazing Midrange Paladin ender, just casually summon a Sylvanas, a Tirion and whatever else along with a decent body of its own. The rogue card seems decent, a two drop that doesn't require combo is nice. And that warlock card is certainly...something. I guess you could treat it like a mini Golden Monkey and play it when you've used enough removal and tapped enough. I doubt it would see play though, maybe if it was a Discover.

Fishlake

That warlock card could be extremely good since it reduces the cost by 1. I would fill my deck with low cost warlock cards and powerful neutral minions that can take advantage of a variety of classes. I want to try it.

Also be sure to through in Malygos to crush people with low cost spells.

That warlock card could be extremely good since it reduces the cost by 1. I would fill my deck with low cost warlock cards and powerful neutral minions that can take advantage of a variety of classes. I want to try it.

If there is something Brawls have taught me, it's that few spells actually revolve around damage.

A deck of 1-mana minions going to 0 cost with Juggler would be cute.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Renounce Darkness is hilarious. It's hard for me to see it really fit into a deck, but that effect is huge for only 2 mana.

Apathy

I don't think it's going to give you class cards from the class you're transforming to 1:1 mana cost wise. Shouldn't matter what warlock class cards you have if they are going to transform.

Peléo

I think this Warlock card is better than people think, specially if you draft it early game.

It only replaces your class cards with other class cards. Therefore, you won´t get shitty neutral minions. There could potentially be a Deck composed by neutral-mana-draw-minions (Azure Drake, Acolyte, Corrupted Hoarder), Sr. Finley and this spell. Goal is to drop as much cheap shit as possible, while simultaneuosly cycling your cards.

It won´t be competitive, but good enough to have some fun without losing every game.

Bonus: Since this is Warlock Card, the second one won´t appear again after you use the first one.

Fishlake

I don't think it's going to give you class cards from the class you're transforming to 1:1 mana cost wise. Shouldn't matter what warlock class cards you have if they are going to transform.

I was expecting that its so that you lose your early game once you use the card.

Also is it only 1 class or could we end up with multicolored Christmas trees?

greepoman

Wouldn't this be annoying as hell in tournaments if people are ballsy enough to bring it? Just throw one in regular zoo lock and if it's looking bad just play it and you might randomly gets cards that cause you to win. For good matchups you don't even play it. Super annoying to play against something that could be different every time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Imagine playing Renounce Darkness and playing Mysterious Challenger on Turn 5.

Lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm of the opinion that Renounce Darkness does for Warlock what Finley does for Shaman.

Only Life Tap is the best hero power in the game and Summon Totem is the worst FailFish

Apathy

Wouldn't this be annoying as hell in tournaments if people are ballsy enough to bring it? Just throw one in regular zoo lock and if it's looking bad just play it and you might randomly gets cards that cause you to win. For good matchups you don't even play it. Super annoying to play against something that could be different every time.
It's definitely a hail Mary, but I think it'll mostly leave you in a similar or worse position when used. Of course there are amazing class cards, but you won't always get them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Eh, I don't think it works out so cleanly.

1. Run one copy, making it pretty unreliable to actually draw

2. Run two and risk drawing it early and it being a 'dead' draw. They CAN play it but it's basically putting the fate of the game in the RNG gods hands since even with a mana sliced off each card you might have bigger drops you can't play, and it's hard to base a strategy going forward when you have no idea what your deck even contains.

Maybe an altered zoo deck with different neutrals in mind relative to the card could work but there's still such a crazy amount of scenarios that could happen off of it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's definitely a hail Mary, but I think it'll mostly leave you in a similar or worse position when used. Of course there are amazing class cards, but you won't always get them.

Even bad class cards can become good when they cost 1 less mana.

Apathy

Even bad class cards can become good when they cost 1 less mana.

I don't disagree, but as the warlock, you're going to be hoping for some classes over others, mage, druid, warrior perhaps, and trying desperately to not get priests. Also the neutral minions you picked might or might not mesh well with the class and random class cards you get.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm of the opinion that Renounce Darkness does for Warlock what Finley does for Shaman.

Only Life Tap is the best hero power in the game and Summon Totem is the worst FailFish

Life Tap becomes useless after like 8th time using it. You just run out of cards. No other Hero Power in the game just becomes useless.

Also, warlock has the advantage that it has some of the worst class cards, so a random selection from another class is likely an upgrade.

Szadek

Life Tap becomes useless after like 8th time using it. You just run out of cards. No other Hero Power in the game just becomes useless.
If only there was a warlock card that replaces your hero power with something amazing, like summoning a 6/6 for 2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That "worst class cards" thing is deceptive. It's true on average Warlock has some of the worst cards in the game, but at the same time it has some of the most flexible ones as well. After all, Reno isn't enabled by Life Tap alone. Being able to cover all your bases in between Darkbomb, Power Overhwelming, Soul Fire, Siphon Soul, Twisting Nether, Shadowflame, Hellfire, Imp-Losion, etc, is no joke.

No one's seriously running Fel Guards or Mistresses of Pain for this to be an unequivocal upgrade.

Anyway I'm going to laugh my ass off when someone Renounces Darkness into Mysterious Challenger and it just so happens that the rest of he Warlock cards in the deck turn into secrets, on stream. It'll probably happen to Kibler if there's comedic justice in the world.

Pooya

Warlock class cards probably going to be mostly like this going forward. TGT was same. They can't print better cards than what warlock has in classic and with that hero power, it's a complete class that can play any style. Any good new neutral minion can be a good warlock card and they already have great spells that cover everything. There is something like peddler once in a while but that's it. Warlock has enough good class cards as it is, I'm not sure why would you play the bad ones if you want to build a deck for that card. You can still play the good ones. There are quite a few.

I hope warlock gets something that helps with playing demons like voidcaller did, voidcaller was too good though, something more balanced.

Sheroking

There's a point in the game where life tap goes from the best to the worst.

Apathy

WTF, trump said that blizzard clarified that unearth raptor will come back to life with the god card if it has copied a death rattle, need to go check out that clarification

Edit: nvm, he got it wrong and we got it right. Raptor wont be summoned.

Ridli

I can't wait to run renounce. The only way it could be better is if they get the VA to record the other class's emotes and switch them mid game.

Yeah I can just see Zoolocks desperately chasing for lethal and rolling Eviscerate/Fireball/etc.

Hycran

Banned
I can't wait to run renounce. The only way it could be better is if they get the VA to record the other class's emotes and switch them mid game.

This is what will make or break the card. It seems like the hero portrait shouldn't change so maybe the emotes should be super jovial or upbeat. It would be even better if you played jaraxxus and he had new emotes as well (although you would have to get thoughtsteal, summoning portal, burgle, etc in order to get jaraxxus as he would be gone from your deck after the renouncing)

It'll never happen.

You might get other class cards, which is good. But you give up class cards, which will always be better. If not, you seriously messed up building your deck.

What it really is, is a tool for new players. Have shit cards? Well roll the dice and see how you go. It will not work often, but it will be fun and can help people earn gold.

Pachimari

Do we have a summary of which new cards were revealed over the last couple of days? Did we get four new cards since the tournament stream earlier this week?

Top Bottom