• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

jgminto

Probably had my best Hearthstone win ever earlier today. I was playing Control Warrior vs Control Priest. We had both played Golden Monkey and I had reached fatigue. They were at 12 health and played King Krush to kill my monkey. I then played Tirion to block his Krush. They heal up to 16 and play Gelblin Mekkatourque which summons a Homing Chicken. This is bad for them since one of my three remaining cards is Iron Juggernaut. Seeing that Chicken draw into perfect lethal was one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I generally try to see the upside of new cards or argue why a suboptimal card is still worth printing, but I'm having a really hard time with The Boogeymonster. More than almost any card so far it seems really thoughtless in design.

The Boogeymonster
8 mana, 5/6
Stealth
Cannot be targeted by spells, hero powers, or card effects
If this minion attacks and destroys another minion, it gains +2/+2

This variation, while possibly not balanced in stats, would maintain (and actually improve) the flavor of the card while also being more mechanically interesting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would pick Boulderfist ogre over this junk in Arena.

It doesnt even beat Force Tank Max.

Constructed E L E H I G G L E

ViviOggi

Watching the vods, wtf that murloc v murloc paladin match
Casters were hyping "chaining Anfin" strats, clearing and whatnot when you literally die immediately from the counter-Anyfin

It's a nuclear stalemate that would be decided only by fatigue if both players were competent

Cat Party

I generally try to see the upside of new cards or argue why a suboptimal card is still worth printing, but I'm having a really hard time with The Boogeymonster. More than almost any card so far it seems really thoughtless in design.
Yup. Gruul, a card no one uses, is strictly better. Boogeymonster would need to gain windfury to be usable.

mid83

Is this game accessible to people brand new to CCG's in general? Also how much of a disadvantage do new players have since the game is already a couple years old now? I've always wanted to play but I feel overwhelmed with all the expansions I'll be so behind. Plus, one glance at the healthstone subreddit makes or seem like new players should avoid at all costs. GAF is a far better community IMO so I figured I'd ask here.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is this game accessible to people brand new to CCG's in general? Also how much of a disadvantage do new players have since the game is already a couple years old now? I've always wanted to play but I feel overwhelmed with all the expansions I'll be so behind. Plus, one glance at the healthstone subreddit makes or seem like new players should avoid at all costs. GAF is a far better community IMO so I figured I'd ask here.

The game is great for new card game players and is still very accessible even a couple years in. With the upcoming patch, it will be even easier for new players to succeed with Standard format.

Are you willing to spend money? If so, it's no problem at all. If not, it's still 100% doable, but it will take time. It's still very fun though.

mid83

The game is great for new card game players and is still very accessible even a couple years in. With the upcoming patch, it will be even easier for new players to succeed with Standard format.

Are you willing to spend money? If so, it's no problem at all. If not, it's still 100% doable, but it will take time. It's still very fun though.

I'm not opposed to spending if I really like the game and it's a reasonable amount (not hundreds or thousands).

Any guides or resources I should check out? I imagine you can really screw yourself if you don't know what are you doing in terms of deck building. That's always my fear with f2p games.

Danj

Anyone ever had a bug where their game has just gotten stuck mid-opponent-turn? My opponent's turn has been going for like 9 minutes now, there's a card hovering over his side of the board but nothing's happening.

EDIT: screw it, guess I'll try conceding to see if I can get out of this. Sucks though.

EDIT 2: the Concede button doesn't work either, it does nothing. WTF?

Apathy

I'm not opposed to spending if I really like the game and it's a reasonable amount (not hundreds or thousands).

Any guides or resources I should check out? I imagine you can really screw yourself if you don't know what are you doing in terms of deck building. That's always my fear with f2p games.

Gotta watch the teachings of the mayor of valuetown

gutshot

Anyone ever had a bug where their game has just gotten stuck mid-opponent-turn? My opponent's turn has been going for like 9 minutes now, there's a card hovering over his side of the board but nothing's happening.

EDIT: screw it, guess I'll try conceding to see if I can get out of this. Sucks though.

You disconnected. You'll have to restart the game.

Acerac

Banned

You disconnected and Hearthstone didn't tell you.

They really should fix it so it isn't so confusing, I agree.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

There's some in the OP of this thread. My gold/dust/real money video is out of date but I'll do a new one after the new expansion comes out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
We are getting close to the point where I will need to create a new thread. You guys think I should fix the numbering or should Unstable Portal haunt our threads from now until the end of time? I am thinking fixing it makes sense with Unstable Portal getting pushed to Wild, lol.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

You honestly don't have to worry too much about deck building when you first start. You can play against the AI until you unlock all 9 classes, and then the game gives you more basic cards until level 10 for each class.

After that, just google "hearthstone level 10 deck mage" or any other class. You'll find stuff like this:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/352542-trumps-basic-mage-level-10

Which incorporates only basic cards. These are great starting points. Over time you'll just start to see what sort of cards other players have in their decks, which succeed and which don't. And as you start to build your collection (whether just with in-game gold or real money) you'll naturally see what capabilities you have. And you can always just look at sites like Hearthpwn and look at top-rated decks either for budget or top tier.

As far as basic game concepts and strategy, Trump's Teachings are great for new players.

Druid gets a 2 card/6 mana board clear spawning a tiny number of niche control decks

CAN'T HAVE THAT DRUID IS ABOUT LE EPIC RAMP AND FUN & INTERACTIVE COMBOS REVERT REVERT

Fatigue Druid is already dead in Standard anyway. Tree of Life, Grove Tender, Explosive Sheep, and Poison Seeds are all moving to Wild.

CRS

Golden Paladin

Cduap0KUsAA8Kdk.jpg

followed by Golden Mage

CeadaBiUYAA1ZYr.jpg

👍

CRS

I guess I should clarify that not a single game was from Secret Paladin or Eboladin since I prefer control style decks.

All mid-range and Murloc!

🐸👍

I guess I should clarify that not a single game was from Secret Paladin or Eboladin since I prefer control style decks.

All mid-range and Murloc!

🐸👍

You're a good person.

Meanwhile I've got less than 100 wins on my whole account, total. Still a newbie but almost done with Naxx and doing my daily gold challenges.

Gonna buy LoE and The Old Gods soon.

Magnus

Does anyone else still have the bug regularly occur where cards show up as 'New' in your collection even though they aren't? I marvel at the randomness sometimes. Cards that haven't been new to me for over a year suddenly get flagged as new, in addition to the new goldens that actually are new for me in the last little while.

Also, the filter field is bugged as hell on iOS. Sometimes, relaunching the app work. Sometimes it doesn't. I click on it and it jumps around the screen before failing to allow me to enter any text.

Anyone else?

Does anyone else still have the bug regularly occur where cards show up as 'New' in your collection even though they aren't? I marvel at the randomness sometimes. Cards that haven't been new to me for over a year suddenly get flagged as new, in addition to the new goldens that actually are new for me in the last little while.

Also, the filter field is bugged as hell on iOS. Sometimes, relaunching the app work. Sometimes it doesn't. I click on it and it jumps around the screen before failing to allow me to enter any text.

Anyone else?

Yep still happens

Apathy

anyone keep up with the non english speaking regions and their take on the new cards. I always find how different regions have different opinions .

Owzers

Secret Paladin has got me to rank 10, I think this is the best I've ever done. Am I allowed to stop playing this game now?

might as well get to rank 5. Which secret pally deck are you using? I'm only having mixed luck with one blessing of kings, no 4 drop weapon, and one consecration. Hovering around rank 10 right now just doing quests with Druid.

Apathy

Secret Paladin has got me to rank 10, I think this is the best I've ever done. Am I allowed to stop playing this game now?

No, the punishment for playing a secret paladin deck is that you need to play it to legend and then feel the shame of what you've done.

JesseZao

We are getting close to the point where I will need to create a new thread. You guys think I should fix the numbering or should Unstable Portal haunt our threads from now until the end of time? I am thinking fixing it makes sense with Unstable Portal getting pushed to Wild, lol.

Whatever you do, I'd like the laat part of the subtitle to be "also, this brawl sucks."

Top Bottom