• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Bunga

What other tech cards are you running?

I usually run 2x Volcanic until I get closer to level 5 since I run into so much aggro Shaman, Druid, and Murloc Paladin.

x1 Eater of Secrets
x2 Volcanic Potion also

I was just finding that my Kabal Courier wasn't really pulling much useful most of the time so I'd rather have something that crushes Medivh and can also be useful against Warrior/Pally/Shaman.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Great work as usual! Honestly, watching card reviews is the most fun I have with Hearthstone these days and looking back on reviews after the fact is always hilarious.

Surprised you didn't put Lifecoach in here as he literally thought the Hunter Quest was going to break the game. But I guess he's not really a Hearthstone streamer any more BibleThump

The footage for Lifecoach was basically unusuable. He said the card was 50/50 whether it was playable or not, with either result being bad for the game. I can't put him on blast if he's going to say something like that, even if his actions made it clear that he actually thought it was busted.

Plus his accent is crazy thick and I had no idea what he was saying when he would code switch into German. His reviews give me headaches, lol.

He also said it could be really good or really bad depending on whether it can outlive the early game aggression which is pretty on point. He only really messed up when he gave it a rating.

Great video though. Can't believe how sottle and some other casters gave Rockpool hunter a 0, it's 3/4 of stats for 2.

patchday

yeah I didnt watch a single card preview before ungoro dropped cause they get too much wrong. I think I did well on my crafting choices. The only card that was questionable to craft was Waygate. But the thought of being Exodia mage was too much to resist. Glad I crafted it even though its not meta

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Card releases and reviews are and always will be my favorite part of this game. How often they get it right is completely irrelevant to me.

Ladekabel

WTF?

I made a Warlock deck full with Murlocs because I have a play 30 Murlocs quest. Won four games in a row in casual and almost finished a five wins Warlock/Priest quest.

Blizzard

Banned
WTF?

I made a Warlock deck full with Murlocs because I have a play 30 Murlocs quest. Won four games in a row in casual and almost finished a five wins Warlock/Priest quest.
The same thing happens to me sometimes when I make Paladin Murloc quest decks. Murlocs have strong synergy.

manhack

WTF?

Ranked floors have made casual a way different experience. I avoid it outside of playing 50 card quests when I don't feel like de-ranking because I'm close to a floor and tavern brawl won't do the trick.

I concede most of the games because they are all new players. I only go for a win if it is a net deck.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ranked floors have made casual a way different experience. I avoid it outside of playing 50 card quests when I don't feel like de-ranking because I'm close to a floor and tavern brawl won't do the trick.

I concede most of the games because they are all new players. I only go for a win if it is a net deck.

pretty sure casual's MMR means if you keep conceding to new players you'll keep seeing new players

I just play casual like I play anything else, and at this point like 2/3 of my opponents have the legend cardback

patchday

Card releases and reviews are and always will be my favorite part of this game. How often they get it right is completely irrelevant to me.

I always like to go into a new expac blind and find out for myself what works.

It's basically same reason I hate to see tier lists for a new fighting game the same week it is out

pretty sure casual's MMR means if you keep conceding to new players you'll keep seeing new players

I just play casual like I play anything else, and at this point like 2/3 of my opponents have the legend cardback

I have no further use for Casual now that I can duel friends for quests. I was so tired of putting together a ghetto deck to get a quest done only to queue into a Pirate Warrior. Which in turn would piss me off

patchday

* double post fail my bad

Lol Open Waygate is fun but definitely not 5 stars. And wow Living mana 1 star. And wow 1 star Hydrologist... That one card has saved my life against secret mages (discover Revenge).

I gotta give Team 5 their proper due though predicting cards is hard. But yet they made a solid expac that even befuddled the popular streamers.

ZealousD

I resubbed to Kibler today and mentioned my video. In the reddit thread he mentioned he was coming out with his own sort of video talking about why he and others misevaluated cards so I brought it up in my resub. He said he actually recorded 40 minutes of video for that, lol.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151343872?t=05h21m40s

patchday

wow he made a 40 min video nice

I think predicting the meta must be really tough for these guys and I think that's where they go wrong. plus they always so fast to knee jerk and give a card 1 star (looking at you Trump/Kripp).

I rather just look at upcoming cards and think to myself, "Yeah this card looks like fun if I dont get it from my initial packs I'll craft to mess around with it".

ZealousD

1.) Find the early game drops with the strongest possible value or tempo.
2.) Tug on those strings and figure out where they lead.

Congratulations. You've probably found one of the strongest decks in the next expansion.

I mean, that's about as far as I think anybody should go in meta prediction. I think Arcanologist, Rockpool Hunter, and Crackling Razormaw were the best early drops in Un'Goro and two out of three for defining the meta ain't bad. And Razormaw is actually still crazy good, just not enough to carry Hunter by itself.

I think day9 has it wrong. Reviews are for more than just fun and entertainment. Sure, you can be entertained, why not. But the best reviews are insightful not into just the new cards but critical thinking behind the game itself.

Why a card like stonehill defender is good, at least to me was apparent. I likened it to an acolyte power level card, pointed out that 3 paladin legends are taunts and people only saw 1/4 for 3 mana. It's like they have tunnel vision. Instead of seeing a 1/4 that needs a huge upside, they just see the 1/4.

Crystal cove was lambasted from the start, but based on the little info we had I knew that if you could complete the quest there are cards that let you finish games with it. Later they introduced fire fly and igneous so maybe some get a pass, or at least half a pass.

Primordial drake is a card I thought was a little clunky at first due to the stat line. Eventually it became strong in my eyes because I realized you could curator it turn 7 and play it turn 8. It's not quite baron geddon but it has a lot of health on a taunt so it gets a pass there.

Sherazin is one card I knew was a sleeper hit. And a sleeper hit not just cause it goes dormant. I knew it would be very easy to play 4 cards. Having a 4mana 5/3 that resummons itself even once is strong.

I overrated that 2 drop in shaman that reduces cost of elementals. I didn't think it would be game breaking but I thought it would see play. Turns out ele shaman isn't that good anyway. I also thought mimic pod would become somewhat auto-include in rogue, I don't think it's even close.

King Mosh is probably what I got wrong the most. I still think it's waiting, biding it's time to make a big splash though. It's a fairly easy to trigger board clear or value card that can also be drawn by curator. Probably belongs in a tempo deck rather than a taunt warrior or control deck. Tempo warrior is not seeing any real amounts of play so... we'll see.

patchday

I remember I was saying that Taunt Warrior loos like fun and having the power of ragnaros would be a blast. I remember a gaf or two (not you guys posting) were like, "Taunt Warrior is going to be awful!!"

man.... If folks would just look at cards and be like, "Yo! I could make a fun deck with that Stonehill defender in something like a Burgle Rogue or Sherazin in nzoth!" then they wouldn't be so wrong and I'd watch their little preview clips. But since they so quick to knee jerk and give good cards like Shadow Visions like 1 star I'm like dang man!!!

And dont get me wrong I like these streamers I met some at blizzcon.

I think day9 has it wrong. Reviews are for more than just fun and entertainment. Sure, you can be entertained, why not. But the best reviews are insightful not into just the new cards but critical thinking behind the game itself.

Why a card like stonehill defender is good, at least to me was apparent. I likened it to an acolyte power level card, pointed out that 3 paladin legends are taunts and people only saw 1/4 for 3 mana. It's like they have tunnel vision. Instead of seeing a 1/4 that needs a huge upside, they just see the 1/4.

Crystal cove was lambasted from the start, but based on the little info we had I knew that if you could complete the quest there are cards that let you finish games with it. Later they introduced fire fly and igneous so maybe some get a pass, or at least half a pass.

Primordial drake is a card I thought was a little clunky at first due to the stat line. Eventually it became strong in my eyes because I realized you could curator it turn 7 and play it turn 8. It's not quite baron geddon but it has a lot of health on a taunt so it gets a pass there.

Sherazin is one card I knew was a sleeper hit. And a sleeper hit not just cause it goes dormant. I knew it would be very easy to play 4 cards. Having a 4mana 5/3 that resummons itself even once is strong.

I overrated that 2 drop in shaman that reduces cost of elementals. I didn't think it would be game breaking but I thought it would see play. Turns out ele shaman isn't that good anyway. I also thought mimic pod would become somewhat auto-include in rogue, I don't think it's even close.

King Mosh is probably what I got wrong the most. I still think it's waiting, biding it's time to make a big splash though. It's a fairly easy to trigger board clear or value card that can also be drawn by curator. Probably belongs in a tempo deck rather than a taunt warrior or control deck. Tempo warrior is not seeing any real amounts of play so... we'll see.

I hated pally before ungoro because I always got dumstered with that class. Post-ungoro I fell in love so hard I crafted all their legends.

So glad gaf talked me out of dusting my paladin cards when I was a dumb newbie. granted I was so dirt poor back then.

Playing as quest rogue against Quest priest. Priest gets Shadowstep off of Crystalline Oracle. Completes quest, plays Amara, and then Shadowsteps her with 25 damage on board and nothing in the way.

They likely would have lost anyway, but how do you not respect 15 damage from hand on a quest rogue? Amara at least eats two attacks.

The worst play I've seen go in my favor recently though was against a hunter in Wild a few weeks ago. I was playing a Reno / Quest priest and they played a freezing trap after I dropped Reno. I didn't have to do a thing the rest of the game other than complete the quest.

Bunga

Just played a Mage in Arena who had FIVE Primordial Glyphs. FIVE. I still beat him but oh my word.

EDIT: Oh - I'm having all the luck today....

Just ran into a Shaman on the same Arena run as above and on Turn 6 he Dopplegangster + Evolves!! I somehow managed to stabilise after that insane shift, he then Devolves my board before saving himself from Pyroblast lethal by Tidal Surge two turns in a row, followed by a final Evolve to finish me off. What on earth is going on!!

SECOND EDIT:

Wow, just wow. First game after the above and it's a Hunter who has Y'Shaarj and Grimestreet Informant's exact lethal with Gladiator's Longbow. This game sometimes man lol...

gutshot

Is it time to review our reviews? Here are the results of our card voting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kGx_OupxWSSJVTU4ADfs5hyTY/edit#gid=1744257151

• Our top ten looks pretty good, with most cards being at least decent if not necessarily meta (the one obvious exception being The Marsh Queen, that card is straight trash).
  • As a group, we missed on The Caverns Below, as most did. But it did have a high variance, which means a few prescient posters were correct in giving it a high score.
  • We also gave solid but unspectacular cards like Rockpool Hunter, Hydrologist and Fire Fly a collective 3 when they are probably more like 4s.
  • Our biggest collective misses were probably Sherazin, Razorleaf and Living Mana, which all ended up with a median score of 2.

Blizzard

Banned
Just played a Mage in Arena who had FIVE Primordial Glyphs. FIVE. I still beat him but oh my word.

EDIT: Oh - I'm having all the luck today....

Just ran into a Shaman on the same Arena run as above and on Turn 6 he Dopplegangster + Evolves!! I somehow managed to stabilise after that insane shift, he then Devolves my board before saving himself from Pyroblast lethal by Tidal Surge two turns in a row, followed by a final Evolve to finish me off. What on earth is going on!!

SECOND EDIT:

Wow, just wow. First game after the above and it's a Hunter who has Y'Shaarj and Grimestreet Informant's exact lethal with Gladiator's Longbow. This game sometimes man lol...
We should combine our opponent luck. That's pretty crazy.

Is it time to review our reviews? Here are the results of our card voting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kGx_OupxWSSJVTU4ADfs5hyTY/edit#gid=1744257151

*edit*
  • Our top ten looks pretty good, with most cards being at least decent if not necessarily meta (the one obvious exception being The Marsh Queen, that card is straight trash).
  • As a group, we missed on The Caverns Below, as most did. But it did have a high variance, which means a few prescient posters were correct in giving it a high score.
  • We also gave solid but unspectacular cards like Rockpool Hunter, Hydrologist and Fire Fly a collective 3 when they are probably more like 4s.
  • Our biggest collective misses were probably Sherazin, Razorleaf and Living Mana, which all ended up with a median score of 2.

I gave The Caverns Below a 5, so clearly I am the best at predictioning!

I gave most everything else a 5 also just to be safe, but STILL.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Fjola Lightbane is one of the worst designed legendaries.

Nothing but midrange dude paladins in wild today. What a surprise.

Fewr

I liked this pack byying guide for new players. I need to get more classics, the other expansions I feel I've more or less got them covered.

http://www.hearthhead.com/guides/new-player-guide-starting-your-standard-hearthstone-collection

If you want to buy Hearthstone packs, I’d first get about 100 Classic packs. They’re most valuable and should give you the playable core for a lot of the decks. Then I’d buy the One Night in Karazhan adventure.

In order to get most (or every if you get lucky enough) of the Commons and Rares from each set, you need to buy about 80 packs. That number also guarantees at least two Legendaries and four Epics, but the average number you’re going to get is twice as high.

patchday

why so much talk bout Wild lately is a Wild Tavern Brawl coming up? I've been a little out-of-sync I guess cause I just been only gathering gold for next expac

Wow I won a game with Evolve Shaman against Quest Warrior.

He Dirty Rats on curve, pulling my Thing from Below.

I devolve both Alley Armorsmiths.

Doppelgangers+Evolve gives me 2 Cairnes, which was invaluable since he brawled soon after.

I get him below 10hp after he completes his quest but Maelstrom summons a Mistress of Mixtures.

I draw my first Bloodlust with 5 cards left, which is just enough for lethal with a 6/6 golem.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm up to 4 failed attempts at the rank 10 promotion game now. I wonder why that last game almost always takes several tries. Maybe decent decks or players that are sitting at the rank floor?

Ladekabel

I'm an advocate for Auctioneer moving to the Hall of Fame but damn if a big Auctioneer turn with a giant Edwin dropped afterwards isn't fun.

I'm up to 4 failed attempts at the rank 10 promotion game now. I wonder why that last game almost always takes several tries. Maybe decent decks or players that are sitting at the rank floor?

I'm always the same at rank 15. I never win that until at least the fourth try.

Whoever suggested trump's midrange hunter video - thanks! I understand how to run the deck much better now, it's really helped. Still at rank 17 though but never mind.

I feel like people just don't want to play Egg Druid or something, because nothing else climbs remotely as fast for me. I must have a >75% winrate with it up to rank 7 right now.

I missed on a few but hit well on a few. I gave Unite the Murlocs a 1 which I still think is true. The median score was a 4. I also gave Living Mana a 4 which feels correct. I gave Lyra a 1 I think which is a big miss. Caverns Below a 3 which I gave it I think because I wasn't sure how to assess it - and to be fair, we didn't know at the time that Hex/Silence didn't work on the minions.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Well I was pretty wrong on a few cards. Gave Lyra and Caverns Below both a 3. Not my finest hour, but at least I didn't put 1.

I was off on some other stuff too. Vilespine Slayer as a 5 seems a bit generous giving how much play that card hasn't seen.

Grief.exe

Well I was pretty wrong on a few cards. Gave Lyra and Caverns Below both a 3. Not my finest hour, but at least I didn't put 1.

I was off on some other stuff too. Vilespine Slayer as a 5 seems a bit generous giving how much play that card hasn't seen.

I believe it's played in all of the Miracle decks, it deserves a high rating. Just doesn't fit in the super specific quest rogue deck.

TankUP

My biggest miss was rating the Paladin quest higher than I rated Sunkeeper Tarim. I also gave the Warlock quest a 5. (ouch)

I gave Lyra a 2, which was another huge miss.

I did give Rogue quest a 4 and Vilespine a 5, so I was pretty close to right on there. I gave Fire Fly a 4, probably should have given that a 5. Humongous Razorleaf I gave a 4, where most people were giving it a 1 or a 2, so I feel good there. I gave Primordial Drake a 5 and I was correct there, that card is nuts.

So I over-rated the Warlock cards, I under-rated the Paladin legendary and the new murlocs, and I was pretty prescient when it came to some of the other cards most of the community was under-rating.

Overall I feel better good about my prerelease ratings.

Anyone else start a game with the wrong deck? I keep doing it like an idiot. On a win streak and I go and pick a garbage priest deck I threw together by mistake. Don't even know I'd done it until I heard "Anduin".

Needless to say I lost. Oh well. That'll teach me to be full on autopilot.

patchday

But you should be proud of those scores. Lyra is a great card for the wrong reasons (it's RNG+ af). Crystal Core is a great card cause they is no counter. Devolve/Hex doesnt do squat. And not many would've probably thought to pair it with Vanish initially?

Sure I crafted Crystal Core asap. But thats cause it was a Rogue card. I collect all Rogue legendaries and run them

And Vile slayer is a 5!!!! I run that in almost all my decks LOL * Edit- Well maybe I should be running Sap instead to counter those silence priest

So you gave good scores. Now if you gave Lyra a 1 well then I wouldn't post a reply to you at all LOL

Szadek

I had a few big mistakes, many of them were avoidable such as Sherazin (get the effect once, and it's a god tier shredder is all you need to know).
Although, I don't think I did that badly. I'm very interested how good I was compared to other users here.

Top Bottom