• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Blizzard

Banned
Since aggro druid got worse by adding 1 living mana, and I can't afford a second living mana, I figured I'd at least try pirate warrior again. I have the double bittertide hydra deck.

I instantly lost back 2-3 levels, winning maybe a single game today. I literally do not know a way I could come even close in most of the matchups and card draws I've seen today. Is the meta anti-pirate right now?

There is basically a neverending stream of mostly mage, some priest, and some paladin. Occasionally shaman/warrior show up. I haven't seen rogue in ages, and it's the only class I can reliably beat. I have my doubts I can ever make it to rank 10 if these matchups keep up, unless the answer is to try midrange shaman.

I blew 5500 dust and made Squire Paladin - goddamn this deck is strong and fun. It's like a deck that can play aggro, midrange, or control as you need it to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
wait they arent called squires?

I have 1k+ wins on Paladin and been calling them squires all this time.

Generic squires are 2/2s

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Squire

Squire%2821%29.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You call them Silver Hand Recruits or Dudes.

Calling them squires is UNACCEPTABLE!

1sKp3x5.gif

What's the deck list?
It's been covered. :-/

looking at hearthpwn its just wild midrange paladin

thats a mis-leading ass name for it too.

no argent squires
no silver hand knight
no recruiter
no lowly squire

Not a SINGLE card that has squire in the name. karsticles gtfo
Calling the deck "Midrange Paladin" is so dumb. That tells me nothing about how it plays.

Silver hand recruits, not squires.

Literally
Don't they say they are squires when you summon them or something? lol

wait they arent called squires?

I have 1k+ wins on Paladin and been calling them squires all this time.
This makes me feel a better.

You call them Silver Hand Recruits or Dudes.

Calling them squires is UNACCEPTABLE!

1sKp3x5.gif
"Dudes" is awful. This is a fantasy setting - I refuse to call anyone a "dude" in an offiical context.

Silver Hand Recruit Paladin is really long.

Squire Paladin sounds great, and I will CONTINUE TO SAY IT!

Unless someone can think of another name that sounds cool.

It's been covered. :-/

Calling the deck "Midrange Paladin" is so dumb. That tells me nothing about how it plays.

Don't they say they are squires when you summon them or something? lol

This makes me feel a better.

"Dudes" is awful. This is a fantasy setting - I refuse to call anyone a "dude" in an offiical context.

Silver Hand Recruit Paladin is really long.

Squire Paladin sounds great, and I will CONTINUE TO SAY IT!

Unless someone can think of another name that sounds cool.

"Reporting for duty" is the SHR play emote (or whatever it's called; can't use "battlecry," haha)

Squire and recruit aren't interchangeable terms though. A squire is someone studying under another person, while a recruit is someone new. There's obviously some overlap, but they aren't the same thing.

Like has been said, "Token Paladin" works too.

ZealousD

Kibler's video on overrated and underrated cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5kMqxBQ9g

Definitely some lessons worth learning. Trying to evaluate cards in the context of cards released in the same set is something I know I need to work on a bit.

Something I wish he had mentioned but that he ultimately didn't was King Mosh, and the lesson that could be learned from overrating a card like that. In this case, King Mosh is a synergy card that is really only powerful when it synergizes with one other card (whirlwind). If you have a card that has to be played with other cards to be good, you need a full toolbox of synergies (like at least six cards) to play it.

Goddamn, another legendary. I just got one 5 packs ago. Un'goro has been averaging one legendary per 10 packs for me. I feel like I should start saving for the next expansion, but it's hard to stop when there are so many more legendaries I want and I've been so lucky so far. :-/

Token paladin
They are my personal soldiers in training, sir!

I hit rank 5 at ~80% winrate with Squire Paladin. If anyone is curious, I find the Darkshire Steward version much better than the Curator one Reaper posted. I still want to get Justicar Trueheart to help against control decks, though.

"Reporting for duty" is the SHR play emote (or whatever it's called; can't use "battlecry," haha)

Squire and recruit aren't interchangeable terms though. A squire is someone studying under another person, while a recruit is someone new. There's obviously some overlap, but they aren't the same thing.

Like has been said, "Token Paladin" works too.
They are studying under me to become 4/1 Windfury minions. So they are my squires!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
As a native Southern Californian, I think that it is perfectly fine to call them "dudes".

IMO, Dude is a gender-less term that refers to any person so calling them dudes is perfectly appropriate. I call women "dude" all the time. This is probably a regional thing, but I don't care. I will always call them dudes.

Sande

Had an ooze for my opponent's Atiesh and got another one from an Ungoro pack. You can bet your ass I made sure to play the new one. Would have loved to see their reaction.

As a native Southern Californian, I think that it is perfectly fine to call them "dudes".

IMO, Dude is a gender-less term that refers to any person so calling them dudes is perfectly appropriate. I call women "dude" all the time. This is probably a regional thing, but I don't care. I will always call them dudes.
Huh? It's not about the gender. They're male anyway.

Some just find a contemporary word odd for a fantasy setting.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
You guys weren't kidding about dude paladin in Wild. I made it to rank 5 with only one loss (secret mage who duplicated the 0 mana 5-5 twice). Not a single loss to pirate warrior. Fun times.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
Here's the list:

### dude paladin
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
# 2x (2) Equality
# 1x (2) Golakka Crawler
# 2x (2) Shielded Minibot
# 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
# 2x (3) Muster for Battle
# 2x (3) Steward of Darkshire
# 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 2x (4) Consecration
# 2x (4) Lightfused Stegodon
# 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 2x (5) Quartermaster
# 1x (5) Stand Against Darkness
# 1x (6) Justicar Trueheart
# 2x (6) Spikeridged Steed
# 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
# 1x (8) Lay on Hands
# 1x (8) Ragnaros, Lightlord
# 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
#
AAEBAZ8FCNIE+gawFeauAruvArnBAuTCAtPFAgvcA/QFzwbqD+wP7Q//rwKbwgKIxwK4xwLZxwIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Rank 3 with (mostly) this murloc paladin in standard:

### aggro murloc
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Grimscale Chum
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 2x (1) Vilefin Inquisitor
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 2x (2) Hydrologist
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 2x (3) Coldlight Seer
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (4) Blessing of Kings
# 2x (4) Consecration
# 2x (4) Gentle Megasaur
# 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 1x (5) Finja, the Flying Star
# 1x (5) Stampeding Kodo
# 1x (6) Spikeridged Steed
# 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
# 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
#
AAECAZ8FBqcF+gbbCuO+ArnBAojHAgzFA9sD3APjBc8GrwenCNOqAtO8ArPBAp3CArHCAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I'm cero motivated to ladder this season, the novelty of the new meta has kind of fade away for me, I guess in july they may tease a new expansion.

One thing I've found with my evolve shaman deck is that playing devolve on curve doesn't prevent me from losing. Small sample size and I get terrible draws though.

For instance, a druid plays Corsair and coin innervate fledging turn 1. I devolve the next turn, drop defender turn 3, discover a tar creeper which I drop turn 4, etc. He swipes the tar, buffs a squire, then plays double pantry spider and buffs to win.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
One thing I've found with my evolve shaman deck is that playing devolve on curve doesn't prevent me from losing. Small sample size and I get terrible draws though.

For instance, a druid plays Corsair and coin innervate fledging turn 1. I devolve the next turn, drop defender turn 3, discover a tar creeper which I drop turn 4, etc. He swipes the tar, buffs a squire, then plays double pantry spider and buffs to win.

Leaving an aggro druid with a board isn't a super strong play. It's the obviously necessary play in your position most likely, but not super strong.

Yeah that's the drawback of devolve in that it still leaves your opponent with a board, and playing it on curve means you aren't developing your own board.

I had no other play though. If I had flame tongue or claws to remove the fledgling I would've been okay.

Blizzard

Banned
After failing the rank 10 promotion game, I've lost back almost to rank 15 with Living Mana added to the Aggro Druid deck. I don't quite understand how this can be a top tier deck when it takes so long to be able to use Living Mana.

Also, of my last 8 ranked games, 4 were mage. 3 were priest. I HATE playing against both these classes. Is anyone else seeing this sort of percentage?

I couldn't sleep so I logged in and played a game and y'all, I think I made a mistake every turn. It was hilariously bad. I guess I'm sleepier than I thought.

After failing the rank 10 promotion game, I've lost back almost to rank 15 with Living Mana added to the Aggro Druid deck. I don't quite understand how this can be a top tier deck when it takes so long to be able to use Living Mana.

Also, of my last 8 ranked games, 4 were mage. 3 were priest. I HATE playing against both these classes. Is anyone else seeing this sort of percentage?

Living mana is the card you win off of when you've drained your opponent of resources already. It's plan B at the very best.

Fewr

Argh.. I got lucky and already have patches for my sui generis warlock deck, but I need 2x defenders of argus and one or two knife jugglers.
Oh well.. I'll have to wait.

EmiPrime

Kibler's video on overrated and underrated cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5kMqxBQ9g

Definitely some lessons worth learning. Trying to evaluate cards in the context of cards released in the same set is something I know I need to work on a bit.

Something I wish he had mentioned but that he ultimately didn't was King Mosh, and the lesson that could be learned from overrating a card like that. In this case, King Mosh is a synergy card that is really only powerful when it synergizes with one other card (whirlwind). If you have a card that has to be played with other cards to be good, you need a full toolbox of synergies (like at least six cards) to play it.

Kibler is a gift to this game.

wiibomb

wow didn't know people were making druid decks with menagerie warden....

although it makes a lot of sense, duplicating a fledgling, a bittertide hydra or a boosted enchanted raved/pantry spider is a pretty strong turn 5.

ZealousD

What an awful last play. Bouncing for damage that he didn't need instead of dodging Mortal Strike/Korkron.

He was dead to Mortal Strike either way, but it's true that if he had bounced the voodoo doctor he would have been safe from korkron.

Eddie Bax

I'm getting very sick of playing against rogues. It's not even about winning or losing; my win rate is fine but it feels like sitting there while someone else plays solitaire, whether it's miracle or quest rogue.

Edit: Addendum: Also, Yogg is still bullshit.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm getting very sick of playing against rogues. It's not even about winning or losing; my win rate is fine but it feels like sitting there while someone else plays solitaire, whether it's miracle or quest rogue.
I feel a similar way against mage players, whether it's freeze or quest.

Edit: Addendum: Also, Yogg is still bullshit.

Yeah, quest rogue is incredibly boring to play against. It's barely interactive at all and there are just so many turns where they bounce things back and forth until they rope.

wow didn't know people were making druid decks with menagerie warden....

although it makes a lot of sense, duplicating a fledgling, a bittertide hydra or a boosted enchanted raved/pantry spider is a pretty strong turn 5.

Isn't warden 6 mana?

I used it in beast druid last season. Worked okay but wasn't fast enough. Might be better now with the new cards. In a pinch you could always put in tiger.

wiibomb

Isn't warden 6 mana?

I used it in beast druid last season. Worked okay but wasn't fast enough. Might be better now with the new cards. In a pinch you could always put in tiger.

oh 6 mana yeah (boy that card is expensive!), still if the druid somehow had a strong turn 5 beast like bittertide hydra, the menagerie is huge.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
oh 6 mana yeah (boy that card is expensive!), still if the druid somehow had a strong turn 5 beast like bittertide hydra, the menagerie is huge.

meh, seems like a "win more" situation

if you're in a position where you can make a bittertide hydra stick on the board, you aren't really going to need two bittertide hydras

TankUP

It might just be tyrande again for the people who missed it the first time. But I hope it's a different cosmetic item (or packs, I guess).

Top Bottom