• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

DrkSage

Down to the terrific 4
Warrior
Rouge
Mage
Paladin

They are gonna be a pain in the ass

This shit sucks. Playing with the most F2P deck since most recommended decks aren't ( they either have wild legendary/epic or standard legendary that I don't have)

So far the only legendaries I've used were: DK warlock and shaman, Barnes and prince kelesth

luoapp

Seems like the Lich King adventure has been well received, especially the encounters and emote banters. Say whatever about the card set and OP druid, you have to give credit to Blizzard, and it's free!

Magnus

I literally lol'd when the Lich King played his cheat card against Priest.

I was surprised. Is that really the only nerf Priests get for the fight, whereas every other class gets an actual nerf? What's that all about? What does that say about either the LK fight design (would be too hard on priest with any nerf) or the priest class (it's weaker than all the others? We know that isn't true).

A billion restarts later I finally completed hunter. That condition was the worst, forcing a class with godawful spells not to play minions. What options does hunter have for clearing the wave of 2/6s?

Final verdict

Hunter AlleycatHyenaFledgling.dec

Warrior Patron

Druid Jade

Mage Emperor Exodia

Rogue Murlocs

Paladin Murlocs

Shaman Evolve

Warlock Reno NZoth

Priest Silence

Maybe I got lucky, but I went with a spell/secret-heavy hunter with only a couple of minions (Mad Scientists and the Huntress that makes secrets cost (0)) as well as Deathstalker Rexxar. The secrets, my Eaglehorn bow, and the Deathstalker battlecry took care of the Turn 7 spawns, and from there, I zombeast'd a couple of huge Lifesteal/Taunt minions that won me the game from there. My health dipped to 10 or 12 at its lowest, but quickly soared once the big lifesteal beasts hit the board.

I blew him first try with that, and first try with my standard Raza/DK/N'Zoth Highlander Priest. Evolve Shaman took like 6 or 7 tries, but finally worked. I have six classes to go!

I managed to get an Archbishop Benedictus in my hand as a Warrior against the LK when I killed that minion that creates an expansion card for your opponent. Would have been bizarre. I didn't end up living long enough to use it.

Magnus

Seems like the Lich King adventure has been well received, especially the encounters and emote banters. Say whatever about the card set and OP druid, you have to give credit to Blizzard, and it's free!

Agreed. Probably their best expansion yet. Absolutely love it, even with the tipsy meta. (it's always tipsy)

If we get an adventure like this with every expansion, I'll be elated.

Maybe I got lucky, but I went with a spell/secret-heavy hunter with only a couple of minions (Mad Scientists and the Huntress that makes secrets cost (0)) as well as Deathstalker Rexxar. The secrets, my Eaglehorn bow, and the Deathstalker battlecry took care of the Turn 7 spawns, and from there, I zombeast'd a couple of huge Lifesteal/Taunt minions that won me the game from there. My health dipped to 10 or 12 at its lowest, but quickly soared once the big lifesteal beasts hit the board.

I tried this with doomsayers before any other class but quickly got smorced with my zombeast being literal trash that loses out on board.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The writing and the flavor was crazy good. Lots of fun little interactions. The prologue might be the funniest thing Blizzard has EVER done.

wiibomb

I got from rank 13 to rank 5... I was rank 13 yesterday. This is the fastest I've ever climbed in my HS playtime.

Druid is absolutely in need of nerfs, I have a 80% winrate with jade druid. Although mages are usually a bad matchup for that deck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I got bored of trying to get good draws against Lich King with Reno and Secret Mage, so I just went murlocs and it was so much easier. Decided to do the same for paladin to easily finish the set.

You just need to open with a decent one drop and two drop, have a good AoE buff by turn 5, and hope for him not to have blizzard on turn 6, and you'll kill him before turn 7 easily. Odds are relatively good for all those things to happen, and restarts are pretty quick.

Magnus

Golden Defile is a sweet looking card

I don't understand how Exodia Mage is supposed to be effective against LK. You much pretty much need to run something that guarantees survival in the opening three turns - Ice Block/Barriers or Frost Nova up by turn 2/3 if you wanna have a hope, right? Or a counterspell up on turn 1.

I don't understand how Exodia Mage is supposed to be effective against LK. You much pretty much need to run something that guarantees survival in the opening three turns - Ice Block/Barriers or Frost Nova up by turn 2/3 if you wanna have a hope, right? Or a counterspell up on turn 1.

counterspell up on turn 1 then it's easy game, Doomsayer for turn 7

Heropon

Just got Arthas without spending any dust thanks in part to that reddit post with the murloc decks. In the end the easiest match (less retries) was the Warrior one with the Kel'thuzad + Public Defender + Scaled Nightmare combo.

Yesterday I thought I was going to need some Death Knights but thanks to other clever people I didn't need to. Now I can spend the rest of my dust on Spreading Plague and Ultimate Infestation.

rahji

enough for today. beat the lich king with 5 classes, the rest I will do tomorrow. It was surprisingly easy with my dragon priest.

Mulgrok

I made a burn mage with flamewaker, mana wyrm, apprentice, and tons of cheap spells. He was dead by turn 5.

Magnus

I made a burn mage with flamewaker, mana wyrm, apprentice, and tons of cheap spells. He was dead by turn 5.

I can't understand how... it takes till turn 4 to get a Flamewaker out and actually pumping any damage out to begin with, nevermind doing 60 damage to the LK...

Pooya

you don't need any of those, just play a greedy reno mage, it works very well. Mulligan for mom or zombie chow, get mad scientist out to get barrier, it's very easy. I suggest playing duplicate, I duplicated my Reno, it was easy game.

DrkSage

So there's an easy win with palading using Fordring...

Well that's that. Paladin first try. I'll admit that all of my draws were lucky as hell. Manages to pull fordring on turn 7 exactly.

Magnus

you don't need any of those, just play a greedy reno mage, it works very well. Mulligan for mom or zombie chow, get mad scientist out to get barrier, it's very easy. I suggest playing duplicate, I duplicated my Reno, it was easy game.

I like this idea. What's Mom?

Gonna down to rank 4 soon.

I need a break. So frustrated when you keep getting your worst match up.
Any time I get a bad matchup, I browse GAF for 3 minutes before queueing up again. Give them a chance to play someone else. ;-)

Or you can be a bitch and counterqueue like my final boss tried to do.

Hero

Here's the Priest build I did Arthas in with:

### Custom Priest2
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 1x (1) Pint-Size Potion
# 1x (1) Potion of Madness
# 1x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 1x (2) Doomsayer
# 1x (2) Lightwell
# 1x (2) Radiant Elemental
# 1x (2) Shadow Ascendant
# 1x (2) Shadow Visions
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
# 1x (2) Spirit Lash
# 1x (3) Kabal Talonpriest
# 1x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 1x (3) Thoughtsteal
# 1x (4) Greater Healing Potion
# 1x (4) Kazakus
# 1x (4) Priest of the Feast
# 1x (4) Shadow Word: Horror
# 1x (4) Tortollan Shellraiser
# 1x (5) Darkshire Alchemist
# 1x (5) Holy Nova
# 1x (5) Kabal Songstealer
# 1x (5) Raza the Chained
# 1x (6) Cabal Shadow Priest
# 1x (6) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Sylvanas Windrunner
# 1x (8) Free From Amber
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
#
AAEBAZ/HAh4eigGQAsUE5QTtBZ0GyQbXCvIMuQ3DFqGsAuyuApK0AoO7ArW7Are7Ati7AvC7AuG/Aui/Auq/AtHBAtjBAtzBApvCApnIAs7MAvDPAgAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
WIth respect, I always get so frustrated when people suggest strategies like this, as if you can guarantee you'll have Doomsayer by turn 7. Lol. I've restarted 6 times now, no Doomsayer by turn 7 yet.

The guaranteed fastest way is probably Molten Giant + sunfury protector for both Hunter and Mage. It's about 50% to have molten by turn 2 if you hard mulligan for it, and even without sunfury just one can win the game before the turn 6 blizzard or 7 frostmourne. Murlocs are pretty good too, just never let him keep a guy up to kill you unless you have taunt.

I really hate the Quest + Kabal Lacky + Counterspell strategy. The chances of having Quest, Cabal Lacky, and counterspell in your opening hand is like 1.5% if you include one of each. It is a lot better at 7% if you include two of each, but that makes the later game a lot worse.

Even without the quest it's like 5% for decks with one of each, or 20% with two of each, which is a lot more reasonable, but still kinda annoying, especially since you're still down two cards to deal with the rest of the fight.

Barnes/Ysaarj/Gahz'rilla Hunter is still like 15% likely to work overall, which is better than that counterspell strategy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Crafted Tirion for Lich King. Normally wouldn't, but it's the last evergreen Legendary I don't have other than The Black Knight so it's kind of a why not situation. It'll always be good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Crafted Tirion for Lich King. Normally wouldn't, but it's the last evergreen Legendary I don't have other than The Black Knight so it's kind of a why not situation. It'll always be good.

Him stealing tirion sounds very scary, but Paladin's a good fun class so you still made a good choice. His hero power is so good.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I've done 5 of 9. I tried to do the 5 tough ones first, though I dunno if that's true or not.

Druid - lol just use a standard Jade Deck. EZ.
Priest - I used "Big" Priest with Barnes/Y'Sharaaj/Obsidian Statues etc. I think there are lots of ways to beat this one if you have Shadow Word Horror ready for the Frostmourne turn.
Mage - This was a bastard. I tried a few different decks and settled on Giants Echo Mage. Echo of Medivh was key to the win. Duplicate your Molten, Echo it and use Flamewaker and the usual cadre of Mage spells to get by. Make sure you have Ice Block/Ice Barrier for the Frostmorne hits.
Paladin - I ended up using Exodia Paladin instead of the Murloc deck that is going around. I found it more consistent and you had a lot more outs. Ran Brewmaters to bounce the 2/2s back to hand AND ran Beardo to get extra uses of the hero power along with Garrison Commander.
Hunter - The usual Flappy Bird/Hyena/Razormaw cheese. Get a huge Flappy Bird with Windfury and Can't be Targeted by Spells and its GG. Hunters mark and Kill Command for Sludge Belchers.

So the ones I have left are Shaman, Rogue, Warrior and Warlock.

Magnus

I simply can't make Warrior work via any posted strategy here or on Hearthpwn. I either have terrible luck, or I suck, haha.

I have Warrior, Druid, Warlock and Paladin left, and I haven't tried any of them besides Warrior.

Hycran

Banned
I simply can't make Warrior work via any posted strategy here or on Hearthpwn. I either have terrible luck, or I suck, haha.

I have Warrior, Druid, Warlock and Paladin left, and I haven't tried any of them besides Warrior.

Did you check mine a few pages back? Alarm o bot and stack the deck with legendaries. Unless you're f2p. Deck list was back there as well

Do you have Kel'Thuzad?

If so:

Deck with Kel'Thuzad, 2 Public Defender, Scaled Nightmare, 2 Brawl, and a ton of armor gain and removal.

Stall until frostmourne. Have an empty board and brawl so there's one 2/6 left.

On 10 mana, play Kel'Thuzad and a public defender. Since LK won't play any cards during this phase, he can't get past the defender.
Play scaled nightmare.

Wait until scaled nightmare is at 256 attack. Kill the last 2/6 with KT, then hit face for 256 damage.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Guy choose malthazar in arena

Order of his cards

Turn 4 random mal barnes

Turn 9 random malz ysera

Turn tend random malz tirion

:|

Dude drew like 13 cards inc starting hand

Hero

Here's my Shaman list for Lich King. A lot of RNG for Evolve/Devolve though..

### Custom Shaman
# Class: Shaman
#
# 2x (1) Evolve
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Runic Egg
# 2x (2) Bilefin Tidehunter
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 2x (2) Flametongue Totem
# 2x (2) Haunted Creeper
# 2x (2) Jade Claws
# 2x (2) Maelstrom Portal
# 2x (2) Nerubian Egg
# 2x (3) Devilsaur Egg
# 2x (4) Jade Lightning
# 1x (4) Jade Spirit
# 2x (5) Bloodlust
# 2x (5) Doppelgangster
#
AAEBAaoIAu0Fz7wCDvAHkwn1DfoN+qoCiq0CibQCoLYCh7wC0bwC9r0C+b8Cq8IC68ICAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I tried Alarm-o-bot Paladin. It didn't go how I expected:
McsJ35P.jpg

I actually had the win until he used Shatter on Kel'Thuzad. -_-

Hero

Hunter vs Lich King was easy, but you have to get 2-3 minions in your opening hand. Preferably the 1/2 murloc that gets power for every murloc you summon and a Molten Giant.

### Custom Hunter
# Class: Hunter
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Grimscale Oracle
# 2x (1) Hunter's Mark
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 1x (1) On the Hunt
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 2x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 2x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Coldlight Seer
# 1x (3) Deadly Shot
# 1x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 1x (3) Kill Command
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (25) Molten Giant
#
AAEBAR8EqALFCP4M6asCDY0BtQPFA9sD/gOHBOMF7QaXCKcI3AqKrQKdwgIA
#

DrkSage

9/9 completed ✅
Warrior gave me a bit of trouble. Trying to get that baron before turn 5 and being able to pass from phase 2 to 3 with a frothing berserk was a challenge.

Hero

Here's Mage vs Lich King. You NEED the 1/2 again.

### Custom Mage
# Class: Mage
#
# 2x (1) Babbling Book
# 2x (1) Breath of Sindragosa
# 2x (1) Grimscale Oracle
# 2x (1) Mirror Image
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 2x (2) Blowgill Sniper
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 1x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Murloc Tidehunter
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 1x (3) Coldlight Oracle
# 2x (3) Coldlight Seer
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Primalfin Lookout
# 2x (25) Molten Giant
#
AAEBAf0EApYF+AcOxQPbA/4D4wXQB6cIvAjcCoqtAoGyAq28Ap3CAobEAu7TAgA=
#

Lyng

Agreed. Probably their best expansion yet. Absolutely love it, even with the tipsy meta. (it's always tipsy)

If we get an adventure like this with every expansion, I'll be elated.

I couldnt disagree more. Ungoro was much better. This is a horrible unbalanced mess. And the adventure feels so lazy compared to past ones. And also the rewards are sorely lacking.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Molten Giants seems really good for some of the Lich King encounters.
Hunter and Mage are both great with them. Especially Mage since they are free from the get go.

Dahbomb

I couldnt disagree more. Ungoro was much better. This is a horrible unbalanced mess. And the adventure feels so lazy compared to past ones. And also the rewards are sorely lacking.
First of all NONE of the previous card expansions had adventures. This is pure bonus single player content we are getting. And the adventures were actually difficult unlike many of the previous ones where you just brought in your net deck for many of them and rolled through them. The Lich King in terms of lines and humor is already more memorable than any of the previous characters in this adventures (except for maybe Archfiend Rafaam).

Secondly, the cards themselves are very good in this expansion with hardly any vanilla minions or legit pack fillers. Some really cool ideas and mechanics. The balance issues are easily fixable and are focused mostly around Druid.

In fact, Kripp made a whole video about the expansion and I generally agree with most of what he had to say:

How good if KFT?

Kangi

Decided to try to get Arthas today, so grinded out the remaining eight. Druid was simple (though I had several bad hands and needed to restart), Warrior was difficult,
Priest, Rogue, Mage, Shaman, Hunter, Paladin... murlocs

Took him for a swing in casual, instantly hit "You are past redemption!" against some Jades and Pirates, and went on my merry way.

Lyng

First of all NONE of the previous card expansions had adventures. This is pure bonus single player content we are getting. And the adventures were actually difficult unlike many of the previous ones where you just brought in your net deck for many of them and rolled through them. The Lich King in terms of lines and humor is already more memorable than any of the previous characters in this adventures (except for maybe Archfiend Rafaam).

Secondly, the cards themselves are very good in this expansion with hardly any vanilla minions or legit pack fillers. Some really cool ideas and mechanics. The balance issues are easily fixable and are focused mostly around Druid.

In fact, Kripp made a whole video about the expansion and I generally agree with most of what he had to say:

How good if KFT?

This is the new adventure style. We wont get the old style, so of course we need to compare This to those. Also none of the fights are hard. Lich King is all about draw. The old heroic fights where much more interesting.

I agree that there are alot of interesting ideas, however as long as its this unbalanced that doesnt matter, since we dont get to play them.

Top Bottom