• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

He's talking about the Excess Mana card that you get at full mana that isn't listed anywhere on the text. New players would never know about it unless they tried it themselves or someone else used it against them.

Redesigning the core set is too much work for Blizzard and they have other issues that they are trying to tackle in the meanwhile which is the Ladder system.
I consider it a neat Easter Egg.

Will watch soon.

Excess Mana is terrible. Not just because it fixes a weakness of ramp but also because it's communicated absolutely nowhere. And it's not consistent with other ramp cards not giving you excess mana that do something else.

It sees play in wild dude paladin, secret paladin, would if non discard zoo was a thing. I think it was a successful nerf.

I think a large part might be because of the aggro decks being played rather than KJ itself. The aggro decks being played now are racial heavy, like pirate and murloc. I actually still agree with him that the 3 attack to 2 attack was underwhelming, but at least for now it's not an issue.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think a large part might be because of the aggro decks being played rather than KJ itself. The aggro decks being played now are racial heavy, like pirate and murloc. I actually still agree with him that the 3 attack to 2 attack was underwhelming, but at least for now it's not an issue.

Knife Juggler would have been in the meta all over the place during Un'goro with Token Druid and Token Shaman had it not been for the attack nerf.

The attack nerf seriously blunted its impact as an on-curve minion. For a 2-drop, that makes all the difference in the world.

Pooya

all these rogue cards that got buffed with this patch

Deadly_Fork%2842057%29.png

Cutpurse%2822336%29.png

Tomb_Pillager%2827229%29.png

Add Fiery War Axe/Innervate to your hand. So OP.

People were confused why fork cost 3 last year, not anymore.

sibarraz

Banned
Like someone on reddit said, seems like people are more angry for the stupid reason that blizzard gave for the FWA nerf than the actual nerf of the card which has been requested a long time ago

At least im glad that Blizzard gave us a new memestatic explanation for a nerf that surpasses legends like "Leeroy Jenkins created an strategy" or "Keeping the Heart of the Card". The last batch of nerfs and hall of fames rotation were very well spoken and actually gave us a good point on why eavh nerf was created

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Like someone on reddit said, seems like people are more angry for the stupid reason that blizzard gave for the FWA nerf than the actual nerf of the card which has been requested a long time ago

I still think they should have slapped some sort of text on it atleast, even if it's just something like "gain x armor", it looks really bad next to other class weapons when warrior is THE weapon class.

But yeah, their text around these things don't help. But that has a long history with this game when it comes to things like deck slots, people frequently feel like Blizzard treats everyone like idiots.

Dahbomb

I still don't agree with that Knife Juggler nerf even though the nerf was "effective".

Reynad and other's issue with the card was the early game RNG aspect of it that decided games. That can still happen these days but there is less aggro versus aggro and Knife Juggler has kinda been power crept over anyway. Like if there's a Zoo versus Zoo match, person who plays Knife Juggler into Implosion could win the game or lose the game based on the outcome.

And yeah War Axe was a banned card on Batstone (as was Patches and Barnes which are still alive right now) and it probably should've been nerfed but most of the community agrees that it was the wrong kind of nerf to make.

There was no good nerf to FWA.

Easier (and cheaper in terms of dust) for them to do that than to nerf 5 separate pirate cards - which are the real problem they are addressing with this nerf. This does lower Pirate Warriors power significantly, but also hurts any possible Control Warrior greatly.

For me, the only thing Fiery War Axe and Hex nerfs make wonder what Warrior and Shaman might have get in the next expansion. Will have to wait and see how things shake out first though.

Easier (and cheaper in terms of dust) for them to do that than to nerf 5 separate pirate cards - which are the real problem they are addressing with this nerf. This does lower Pirate Warriors power significantly, but also hurts any possible Control Warrior greatly.

It was OP long before PW was a real thing.

For me, the only thing Fiery War Axe and Hex nerfs make wonder what Warrior and Shaman might have get in the next expansion. Will have to wait and see how things shake out first though.

Blade Flurry has taught me to expect nothing.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Warrior got more mediocre enrage synergy and Shaman got some half-assed freeze cards.

Freeze Shaman to become the new Discardlock.

Well thank god Reynad was wrong about knife juggler. I am still surprised it doesn't see play tbh.
It does in Wild sometimes. I play it in Demonlock.

I really don't know why it doesn't see play in Egg Druid. It would be a natural fit. Maybe it's because the game is all about OMG SUDDEN BOARD INTO NEXT TURN KILL BETTER CLEAR instead of actual board and tempo play.

Something that can influence the result of a competitive game is as far from the definition of an easter egg – something extraneous – as you can get.
First Google result:
"an unexpected or undocumented feature in a piece of computer software or on a DVD, included as a joke or a bonus."

It fits that definition perfectly.
2 mana with war axe in hand, you always play it

That was what I thought the joke was lol
One of my favorite things to do with Warrior was to not play War Axe on an empty board against a Priest. Then they play Cleric and I SMACK IT. It always puts a smile on my face.

There was no good nerf to FWA.
I liked your suggestion, actually. lol!
Probably amazing weapons like Rogue keeps getting.

Fair points, I guess history has taught us to really expect nothing.

Only counter I can think of is Crystal Core, which made a different type of Rogue deck, but it ended up being too strong and also got nerf'd into an early grave. Just have to wait and see.

Nachos

First Google result:
"an unexpected or undocumented feature in a piece of computer software or on a DVD, included as a joke or a bonus."

It fits that definition perfectly.
I mean, this risks just arguing over semantics, but I wouldn't call any part of the gameplay itself a bonus. You can't remove the card draw without changing the strategies available to a druid player, unlike things like the game's presentation. When I think of a Hearthstone easter egg, I think of playing Snowflipper during the Lich King fight.

Now, if you want to say that such interactions are things Blizzard wants to be discovered, same as the other undocumented cards like spare parts or toxins, then I'd agree. But I'd also say the game shouldn't be pushing you to online resources, just to find out everything a card can do. At that point, you're not even looking at interactions or strategies or the advanced rulebook yet.

Miletius

Well, I actually like HSDog and Thijs, so team void all the way. Reynad is very articulate and knowledgeable about the game, but I never watch him because his attitude is terrible and his community is equally bad. Krip isn't actually very fun to watch because it's salt and memes... and I've never heard of the 3rd person, so...

I mean, this risks just arguing over semantics, but I wouldn't call any part of the gameplay itself a bonus. You can't remove the card draw without changing the strategies available to a druid player, unlike things like the game's presentation. When I think of a Hearthstone easter egg, I think of playing Snowflipper during the Lich King fight.

Now, if you want to say that such interactions are things Blizzard wants to be discovered, same as the other undocumented cards like spare parts or toxins, then I'd agree. But I'd also say the game shouldn't be pushing you to online resources, just to find out everything a card can do. At that point, you're not even looking at interactions or strategies or the advanced rulebook yet.

You not knowing what a word means is different from arguing over semantics.

Sande

At first I thought Blizzard was thinking months ahead with the FWA nerf (making room for more interesting cheap weapons) but yeah, Blade Flurry begs to differ. We'll see.

Non-pirate warrior is basically dead now. Even before the nerf I've faced like 2 or 3 control warriors in this expansion and they're a joke to beat.

You not knowing what a word means is different from arguing over semantics.
It's not an easter egg and that definition is far too vague.

G.ZZZ

I still haven't got my packs from choosing the Czech republic as the winner.

Blizzard cheaping out on me cause i never gave them a cent on hearthstone after the disaster that SC2 and D3 were. The poor billionaire company can't afford to give some digital pixels for free.

Man I hate big priest. Its so fucking dumb. The definition of pay2win actually working. FFS Ben brode...

It's hit and miss

Sometimes Big Priests get unlucky to the point where they don't have a card to play for the first 6-9 turns because it turns out their Barnes and other cards to help their curve are all the way in the bottom of the deck. I've played the deck, and I can say that you don't win every match. Some matches you lose before you get a chance to roll out your big cards.

Bunga

Hit Rank 15 this morning as my run of Jade Druid victories continues. Only one loss so far to a Quest Mage since 0 stars Rank 20 to Rank 15 two stars lol.

manhack

Found this post highlighting the banlist from BatStone last year very interesting.

Community Ban List:

1. Yogg: 7188
2. Tuskarr Totemic: 3242
3. Fiery War Axe/Win Axe: 1154
4. Barnes: 1045
5. Call of the Wild: 1023
Other voted for cards

6. Flamewreath Faceless/4 mana 7/7: 852
7. Doomhammer 679
8.Tunnel Trog 578
9. Flamewaker: 517
10. Knife Juggler: 429
11. Ragnaros/Rag: 311
12. Execute: 281
13. Totem Golem: 265
14. Abusive Sergeant: 250
15. Alexstrasza's Chapion: 223
16. Arcane Giant: 190
17. Innervate: 184
18. Power Overwhelming: 183
19. Azure Drake: 171
20. Brawl: 118

11/20 Cards from that list were eventually nerfed or moved to Hall of Fame.

ZeroX03

Banned
I opened 40 and got like, 4-5.

Sometimes luck is against you :l

Yeah finally pulled one after this haha. Bloodreaver Gul'dan. If Warlock's ever decent, that's a pretty nifty card to have so it kind of makes up for it.

Found this post highlighting the banlist from BatStone last year very interesting.

Community Ban List:

1. Yogg: 7188
2. Tuskarr Totemic: 3242
3. Fiery War Axe/Win Axe: 1154
4. Barnes: 1045
5. Call of the Wild: 1023
Other voted for cards

6. Flamewreath Faceless/4 mana 7/7: 852
7. Doomhammer 679
8.Tunnel Trog 578
9. Flamewaker: 517
10. Knife Juggler: 429
11. Ragnaros/Rag: 311
12. Execute: 281
13. Totem Golem: 265
14. Abusive Sergeant: 250
15. Alexstrasza's Chapion: 223
16. Arcane Giant: 190
17. Innervate: 184
18. Power Overwhelming: 183
19. Azure Drake: 171
20. Brawl: 118

11/20 Cards from that list were eventually nerfed or moved to Hall of Fame.

Brawl is the worst card in the game and should be nerfed to pieces.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Doomhammer was removed indirectly by the rockbiter mana nerf.

The rest will be gone this next expansion except for Brawl.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hit Rank 15 this morning as my run of Jade Druid victories continues. Only one loss so far to a Quest Mage since 0 stars Rank 20 to Rank 15 two stars lol.

I had 5 losses from rank 21 to 14 as Pavel's HCT Razakus priest, but at that point all the Druids started really kicking me down.

I guess I need to tech it against druid with like Geist and stuff, since Pavel's list probably was expecting to have all druids banned in the tournament.

Pooya

this priest had raza and anduin on curve while having answers for two red mana wyrms at 4 attack, an arcane giant, auctioneer and an edwin all by turn 8. Then proceeded to kill me with Velen the turn after.

There is zero counterplay to that. Bu but it's not consistent blah blah. The deck is tearing through everything in HCT. People are fucking crazy if they still think that deck is not broken AF.

If my threats were not good enough to beat this deck, nothing in the game is. Good luck and have fun in your new meta until December when they print yet another ridiculous card to counter the priest.

Q8D3vil

It's hit and miss

Sometimes Big Priests get unlucky to the point where they don't have a card to play for the first 6-9 turns because it turns out their Barnes and other cards to help their curve are all the way in the bottom of the deck. I've played the deck, and I can say that you don't win every match. Some matches you lose before you get a chance to roll out your big cards.
Yeah drawing any minion beside barnes early will fuck up your curve so bad.
Cant deny that the deck is consistent as fuck and really good in mirrors vs razakus.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
this priest had raza and anduin on curve while having answers for two red mana wyrms at 4 attack, an arcane giant, auctioneer and an edwin all by turn 8. Then proceeded to kill me with Velen the turn after.

There is zero counterplay to that. Bu but it's not consistent blah blah. The deck is tearing through everything in HCT. People are fucking crazy if they still think that deck is not broken AF.

If my threats were not good enough to beat this deck, nothing in the game is. Good luck and have fun in your new meta until December when they print yet another ridiculous card to counter the priest.

Lots of decks have perfect curves where there is effectively zero counterplay with lots of decks. Most aggro decks, most midrange decks have this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The chance of having both Raza and Anduin on curve is about 20% with cycle.

But other big draws like Kazakus and Lyra do help make up for it a lot, and there's a 67% chance of having at least one of either Raza or Anduin on curve which is kinda all you need against Mage.

TankUP

It's time to Hall of Fame Priest. A wild only class will encourage the growth of that format, make standard easier to balance, and improve the lives of every standard player instantly.

the problem there is that priest now shits all over rogue. Rogue can only run so many threats and priest has an answer to all of them. You can't play it slow either because then priest will just kill you with their bullshit.

And even when you stop playing miracle rogue because it's a terrible matchup they'll get your otk deck with Skulking Geist because that card is terrible design.

Meanwhile mill rogue folds to jade idol.

What I'm trying to say is Blizzard fucked rogue over thrice.

gutshot

Well thank god Reynad was wrong about knife juggler. I am still surprised it doesn't see play tbh.

It doesn't see play because there are no cards supporting it now except for Unleash, and Hunter might as well not exist. I don't think the nerf had too much to do with it. Once GvG/Naxx rotated out, it lost a lot of its strongest synergistic cards (Creeper, Shredder, Muster, Imp-plosion).

Top Bottom