• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Should've played it as a 8/8 on the previous turn.

I wanted to be greedy and play it as a 10/10 on the next turn since I had Lakkari Felhound in my hand, but the argus topdeck changed my plans.

.eJwNzEsOgyAQANC7sJffCKOeoPsegBCcgImCgemq6d3r5i3fV3z6KTZRmO-xKbUfI7W-y8Gtx0wyt5ZPivcxZGqXiswxlYsqD2VwdWjs7AEX62YAVKBXBwat9v5xtYtWL4qdy9NVCu_UieoojYN2k4bJYLAgLUrt5V2z-P0BOgYsqQ.VJSJqSu903-UXpYIkflFeUvimv0

Love druids who pay no heed to dragonfire potion.

And then he living mana'd into second dragonfire potion.

RIP

Funny thing is he kept playing until my board had about 6 huge minions on it.

rank 10->7 tonight (14-6, 70% wr)

Druids aren't going to play around Dragonfire Potion anyway. If they play around it then they definitely lose.

That's bs. He could have easily popped the buff on the 4/4 to bring it out of dragonfire range. He could have also buffed the eggnapper so it wouldn't break right before turn 6. Instead he intentionally went wide straight into dragonfire potion.

Dahbomb

That's bs. He could have easily popped the buff on the 4/4 to bring it out of dragonfire range.
And that plays into Shadow Death... which you have in your hand as your left most card and would've been telegraphed if he knew any better.

If Druid isn't far ahead by turn 6 then they have lost anyway against a Priest 9/10 anyway. There's only so much play around board clears you can do before you start losing out on percentages.

Blizzard

Banned
I agree with Dahbomb, it seems silly to ask someone to play around Priest, when Priest is a class designed around RNG, healing, and having cards for many situations which can't effectively be played around. :p

And that plays into Shadow Death... which you have in your hand as your left most card and would've been telegraphed if he knew any better.

If Druid isn't far ahead by turn 6 then they have lost anyway against a Priest 9/10 anyway.

You see that gray smoke over the fledgling? That is called stealth. No, he is not playing around shadow word death. He could easily have gotten windfury or untargetable and even stealth again on a 6/6. Instead he chose to buff his 2/2, going wide on a board the turn before dragonfire potion, he even did me the pleasure of popping his egg napper with hero power included so I took less damage.

It's easily the wrong move. Dunno why you're trying to defend it. Seen this before tbh. I post something and u or someone else blindly defends the opponent's play like cuz it's so obvious he made the right move and lost anyway. No, he made the wrong move and lost harder than he would have otherwise.

I agree with Dahbomb, it seems silly to ask someone to play around Priest, when Priest is a class designed around RNG, healing, and having cards for many situations which can't effectively be played around. :p

Umm, it's turn 6 and I have no random cards in hand....

Dahbomb

Well I didn't directly say that but it's more of Druid being a super aggressive deck that generally punishes the opponent for not having clears or it gets punished itself if they do have board clears. You win way more with this deck if you don't play around board clears unless it's easy to play around (like you buff up your board beyond Consecrate/Holy Nova range over playing a small dude).

You see that gray smoke over the fledgling? That is called stealth. No, he is not playing around shadow word death. He could easily have gotten windfury or untargetable and even stealth again on a 6/6. Instead he chose to buff his 2/2, going wide on a board the turn before dragonfire potion, he even did me the pleasure of popping his egg napper with hero power included so I took less damage.
Oh I didn't know what minion that was, I thought he played the buff on the stealth minion rather the Raven (I though it was Ravasaur Runt and he picked Stealth Adapt then buffed it with Mark). He should've buffed the Fledgling then, absolutely.

I mean, as an aggro/token Druid, if it's turn 5 and your board is fairly modest while your opponent is still at 25 health then that doesn't seem like a time where you can afford to play around board clears anymore.

Magnet

Neo Member
I'm relatively new to Hearthstone, and I have a few questions about Karazhan if someone could help. Can you buy all of the purchasable floors with gold or do you have to use real money for some of them? Is it worth spending gold on these versus just buying packs in the store? That is, for getting cards, is seven 100G packs from the store better or worse than what you'd get from a floor of Karazhan?

Also, I read that there were other solo adventures and Karazhan is the fourth. How come the others aren't available to purchase and play for new players? I read that the cards from the previous three are only available for a "Wild" format, but I guess I'm confused why they don't want to let new players have the option to buy and play through them if they want.

Well I didn't directly say that but it's more of Druid being a super aggressive deck that generally punishes the opponent for not having clears or it gets punished itself if they do have board clears. You win way more with this deck if you don't play around board clears unless it's easy to play around (like you buff up your board beyond Consecrate/Holy Nova range over playing a small dude).

Oh I didn't know what minion that was, I thought he played the buff on the stealth minion rather the Raven (I though it was Ravasaur Runt and he picked Stealth Adapt then buffed it with Mark). He should've buffed the Fledgling then, absolutely.

Oh, you didn't know it was fledgling, fair enough. I see what you're saying now, if it wasn't a fledgling.

Dahbomb

Oh, you didn't know it was fledgling, fair enough.
Yeah I legit thought that was a Ravasaur Runt (Stealth Adapted) and then he played Mark on it. If he didn't buff the Fledgling and instead buffed the Raven (which now that I looked at it a second time, seems like what happened) then that is a horrible play without even considering the Dragonfire Potion play around. He could've actually won the game if that was a 6/6 Stealthed Fledgling.

Healing is the only one of those that really fits Priest. Priest has one critical weakness: 4 Power dudes.

RNG is Shamans 100% of the way, and "can't play around this card" is.. Warrior? They've got all the dumbest board clears between Whirlwind/Sleep/Brawl/Execute/Fire Plume's Heart Reward etc

Blizzard

Banned
5 out of 7 enemy ranked paladins in a row.

After teching in a single hungry crab, I instantly requeued. 0 out of 7 enemy ranked paladins in a row. That seems statistically improbable. :/ Has anyone kept track if this sort of thing happened to them?

Man, it's like, I don't play dragon Priest for a while and forget just how broken Historian and Operative are. Play one game where Historian gives me Primordial and Operative gives me Highmane.

That's some outright disgusting shit.

Edit: Then I face Quest Warrior and realize why I don't play this game much anymore.

Edit 2: Followed by a Quest Rogue that completes their bullshit on turn 4. Yeah I'm done for the night. And people actually believe this is the best meta we've ever had lol.

Lyng

It's easily the wrong move. Dunno why you're trying to defend it. Seen this before tbh. I post something and u or someone else blindly defends the opponent's play like cuz it's so obvious he made the right move and lost anyway. No, he made the wrong move and lost harder than he would have otherwise.

While you are absolutely correct it does seem that, either he made more mistakes than that or got unlucky on draws, because you beeing at so much hp at turn 6, means something went really wrong for him. But yes he could and should have tried to play around dragonfire potion.

Lyng

Keeping it at 4 attack makes it immune to shadow word.

Mobius pointed out its a fledgling (which is impossible to see on the screenshot) and in that case he is very likely to get the anti spell adapt which means he doesnt have to care about shadowword D.

Blizzard

Banned
Is it just me or did they actually move mage even more into the no interaction field?
With the possibility of primordial glyph chains resulting in 3+ blizzards or 3+ ice blocks in a game, combined with the quest that prevents the other player from having a turn, I'd say yes.

Just had an interesting interaction. Playing Priest against Quest Rogue. They got a Shadow Madness off of Swashburgler and used it on a Loot Hoarder. Turned it into a 5/5, which didn't die when he attacked another minion of mine. When it came back to my board, it stayed a 5/3. Thanks for the upgrade!

KuroNeeko

It's a tough call, but I'd buff the 4/4 to bring it out of DFP range. Yeah, against a Priest you want your dudes at four power, but turn 6 against Dragon Priest is NOTORIOUS for popping out Dragonfire Potions, especially with that board.

Better to buff the 4/4 and force the priest to choose beween SW:D and DFP. In this case, he'd have to DFP and the druid would still have a 8/3 stealth dood.

I'd say the most surprising thing about that pic is Mobius playing Priest. lol

And LOL at people saying you can't play around Priest spells. Please. Priest removal tools are all situational and you can dodge ALL of them (save the damage component of Holy Nova) except DFP, by keeping your minion's power at four.

Not like we have Entomb / Excavated Evil / Lightbomb any more...though the thought of having access to them via Shadow Visions is....niiiiice.

Lyng

Okay, so this quest rogue completes the quest on turn 4 and casts it on turn 4 with 2 minions on board. I am playing priest with 1 minion, a 1/5 on board.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/9jBMhWjsFHpMrNqam9Fvkf

I've basically read and even been told by many that it's autowin if they complete quest that fast.

But yeah, beat the god opener quest rogue.

edit:
played and beat same rogue again lol

I have done that with Midrange hunter twice today. Honestly though so many play that deck like shit. Even godly openers cant fully make up for shit plays.

Lyng

Played against the worst pirate warrior. He played so bad, just attacked face all the time, and forgot to attack with his patches and didnt play around any of my cards. I was playing priest so kept removing and healing...

I still lost, due to never drawing my dragons....feelsbadman

Blizzard

Banned
After playing so many mages and priests for 10-15 minute games I decided to do pirate warrior again. "Maybe I'll have some success," I thought.
pirate27du87.png

Hours later I came back with the exact same deck and immediately got this.
pirate3qduvn.png

I am aware of 0 lessons learned, 0 deck changes, and 0 strategy modification. But hey, I gain 3 ranks instead of sitting still. Maybe I'll now get the opposite starting with that loss and lose 3 ranks instead. I'd almost prefer being able to say "I learned something and am a better player now", but I'm pretty darn sure these are just luck.

Kettch

Started playing some Hearthstone again, and I'm immediately reminded of why I quit.

Dominating a game against an arena priest and he Ambers into a Soggoth, so I sack most of my board in. Next turn he Ambers into another Soggoth, which I can't kill for a turn or two. Now I have him down to 2hp, and the Kabal Courier he played after that turns out to be Jaraxxus.

The game is just not fun to play anymore in arena.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm relatively new to Hearthstone, and I have a few questions about Karazhan if someone could help. Can you buy all of the purchasable floors with gold or do you have to use real money for some of them? Is it worth spending gold on these versus just buying packs in the store? That is, for getting cards, is seven 100G packs from the store better or worse than what you'd get from a floor of Karazhan?

Also, I read that there were other solo adventures and Karazhan is the fourth. How come the others aren't available to purchase and play for new players? I read that the cards from the previous three are only available for a "Wild" format, but I guess I'm confused why they don't want to let new players have the option to buy and play through them if they want.

You can spend gold on all floors of Karazhan if you want. You never have to spend real money. It's worth the investment to try and get all the floors because that'll unlock all the cards in that expansion and you won't have to spend arcane dust to craft them.

Blizzard has everything in the wild format out of the store front. Not just the previous three adventures but the GvG and TGT card sets aren't available either. I think most people would prefer that these sets and adventures become available at some sort of discount or special deal but Blizzard hasn't done anything like that yet. Blizzard has floated the idea that the wild adventures can come back as a limited time event or something but we don't know their plans yet.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kibler's just ended 4 hour Wild Brawl run was super fun to watch - I'm in the long > short games camp

Was natalie on the stream too?
I really enjoy when they stream together, you can see how competitive Kibler can get. lol

Is it just me or did they actually move mage even more into the no interaction field?
Well.. the Mage Quest is literally "your opponent doesnt play a turn", also Primordial Glyph increases the chances of getting an extra Ice Block.
I played against a Mage that had 3 Ice Blocks (i lost of course)

Im cool if Ice Block gets Hall of Fame'd

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Never seen kezan mystic run.

If you're going to run secret hate in wild, you need it to be good against secret paladin too.

Sande

Still love the temper tantrum of a mentally 5-year old when they realize they've lost and start roping on purpose.

Some things never change.

Never seen kezan mystic run.

If you're going to run secret hate in wild, you need it to be good against secret paladin too.

that doesn't exist. You're paying mana and a card to steal/destroy something your opponent paid neither mana or a card for and is only strong in conjunction with the other secrets.

Lyng

Mobious what is your winrate with that dragon deck? So far I am 0-3. It just feels like its absolute horseshit against the decks people actually play. Its too slow against murloc and it also really doesnt have any endgame. Its like its missing a winning condition. I am probably playing it wrong, but would love to get some guidance as to how that deck is suppose to work. (other than pure rng)

It wasn't before? It should have been.
Until Gadgetzan, Secret Paladin was everywhere. A lot of decks (>30% anecdotally) used Eater of Secrets to counter it, and as a result playing Freeze Mage was a death wish. Players just waited until you were near lethal and ate your Ice Block for the kill. After Gadgetzan, Pirate Warrior became the #1 deck in Wild along with Renolock. Freeze Mage, IMO, isn't strongly favored against both of these decks. It can't stop the onslaught of Pirate Warrior weapon smacks to the face, and Warrior players having Armor Up! makes it harder to get the right hand to burn them down. Renolock means you have to do significantly more damage to win your match.

So I think Freeze Mage has generally been in a bad position in Wild since its inception due to meta considerations. Now, you have the Priest quest, so your opponent can heal to 40 at any time. That said, Secret Paladin is much less common now, so people aren't running Eater of Secrets. That's a huge boon for the deck, but I don't see how it's a top deck to play in the Wild meta.

Holy shit Pirate warrior and quest rogue need to be nerfed so bad. Especially pirate warrior. That small time buccaneer nerf really didnt do shit.

Fewr

I'm new too, and I'm currently going through the first section of Karazhan. Others have a much better grasp of things, but I think the cards you get there are worth the investment.

Mobious what is your winrate with that dragon deck? So far I am 0-3. It just feels like its absolute horseshit against the decks people actually play. Its too slow against murloc and it also really doesnt have any endgame. Its like its missing a winning condition. I am probably playing it wrong, but would love to get some guidance as to how that deck is suppose to work. (other than pure rng)

I'm 70% with about 30 games so far, rank 7. I think it's weaker towards aggressive murloc paladin but favored vs midrange paladin where you typically have enough time to hit dragonfire potion.

What decks are you losing to? You'll probably need to play more than 3 games, that is too much room for variance or simple mistakes.

luoapp

Damn the wild heroic brawl is so fun to watch. All kinds of shenanigan and non-shenanigan decks. Whoever gets to 12 wins truly deserve that prize. And it will only get better when people figure out the meta even more.

PS: haven't seen a lot of quest decks yet, just a couple. Also, nice to see you again, Dr. 7.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How would you even nerf ice block?

Should make it cost 12 mana
Just retire it. Nerfing it will just aggravate Wild players. If they did actually want to nerf it they'd have to gut it to be something like a complete damage block of a single attack.

Was natalie on the stream too?
I really enjoy when they stream together, you can see how competitive Kibler can get. lol

Well.. the Mage Quest is literally "your opponent doesnt play a turn", also Primordial Glyph increases the chances of getting an extra Ice Block.
I played against a Mage that had 3 Ice Blocks (i lost of course)

Im cool if Ice Block gets Hall of Fame'd

Yeah, Natalie was on - the Tavern Brawl run starts here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139852826?t=6h18m

Top Bottom