• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

bunbun777

Tried the heroic brawl with a nzoth reno deck. Won 4 games but the 3 I lost were to a murloc pally and 2 pirate warriors. Think I'm going to try again with pirate warrior.

4 wins wasn't too bad though, 5 packs, 200 gold, 200 dust.

Sheroking

Heroic Tavern Brawl has put me back into touch with my psychotic hatred for Freeze Mage.

I'd rather face nothing but Pirate Warrior.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
1 pack... think I'll skip this then, especially as I dusted my wild cards.

In general the heroic tavern brawls are NOT EVEN CLOSE to worth it for the average player. In this case you ABSOLUTELY need to have Wild cards. Stuff like Sludge Belcher, Shielded Minibot, Dr. Boom, Sylvannas, Ragnaros, Ice Lance, etc will be in the majority of the decks because they are really strong cards. Without them you are at an inherent disadvantage and in this format you will end up with a bad time for sure.

For those trying to spend as little (or no) money on this game, you should never participate in this sort of event. The payouts are not worth it.

Lyng

I'm 70% with about 30 games so far, rank 7. I think it's weaker towards aggressive murloc paladin but favored vs midrange paladin where you typically have enough time to hit dragonfire potion.

What decks are you losing to? You'll probably need to play more than 3 games, that is too much room for variance or simple mistakes.

Yeah I will play till I have played 20 and then come back with my results. Pirate Warrior and Murloc paladin seem very hard.

Ladekabel

Went all in and dusted parts of my collection for Lyra and two Shadow Visions. Now I remember why Priest is my favorite class.

Went all in with a Priest draft in Arena also. Lyra was one of the first choices and I picked it. I don't care if it's bad.

In general the heroic tavern brawls are NOT EVEN CLOSE to worth it for the average player. In this case you ABSOLUTELY need to have Wild cards. Stuff like Sludge Belcher, Shielded Minibot, Dr. Boom, Sylvannas, Ragnaros, Ice Lance, etc will be in the majority of the decks because they are really strong cards. Without them you are at an inherent disadvantage and in this format you will end up with a bad time for sure.

For those trying to spend as little (or no) money on this game, you should never participate in this sort of event. The payouts are not worth it.

Thijs just went 12-1 with Freeze Mage. It hardly uses any Wild cards. Ice Lance, sure, but everyone probably already has that or can afford to spend 80 dust.

People think Wild has so many old "OP" cards, but Standard features a consistent power creep that eclipses older sets. I see Dr. Boom 1/5 matches max in Wild. Ragnaros maybe 1/10. Sylvannas in any N'Zoth deck. Minibot is consistent in most Paladin decks, but he's a common card. Sludge Belcher is definitely common.

Tomcat

I'm 70% with about 30 games so far, rank 7. I think it's weaker towards aggressive murloc paladin but favored vs midrange paladin where you typically have enough time to hit dragonfire potion.

What decks are you losing to? You'll probably need to play more than 3 games, that is too much room for variance or simple mistakes.

i dont have second dragon fire potion so i replaced it with a holy nova. Do u think is important to have 2 potions?

I'm still dumbfounded that the developers of this game thought Quest Rogue was a good idea in its current form. Such a joke.

Quest rogue is total OP garbage. Basically every QR I play against has there quest complete on turn 4. From there there really isnt anything you can do I think, not even with mage. Maybe freeze+doomsayer but you gotta be lucky.

It's just total garbage indeed.

wiibomb

New VS Report. Literally not a single Tier 1 deck, which is the first time this has happened since the Report launched.

I just saw that...

It must be a very balanced meta to achieve this, we are about 1 month after release and no deck has truly established as dominant overall. I wonder how much it will take, or if it will happen at all until next expansion.

although, for me, more importantly, when I play a game against a class, there are usually 2 decks it could be, which is already itself really healthy

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So Purify is a legit card now? Dang!

squidyj

.eJwNzEsOgyAQANC7sJffCKOeoPsegBCcgImCgemq6d3r5i3fV3z6KTZRmO-xKbUfI7W-y8Gtx0wyt5ZPivcxZGqXiswxlYsqD2VwdWjs7AEX62YAVKBXBwat9v5xtYtWL4qdy9NVCu_UieoojYN2k4bJYLAgLUrt5V2z-P0BOgYsqQ.VJSJqSu903-UXpYIkflFeUvimv0

Love druids who pay no heed to dragonfire potion.

And then he living mana'd into second dragonfire potion.

RIP

Funny thing is he kept playing until my board had about 6 huge minions on it.

rank 10->7 tonight (14-6, 70% wr)

I mean he's aggro druid what do you expect him to do? looking at that board the only thing I can think is maybe if he was offered +3 health instead of stealth on his pterrordax

Had a fun game against quest warrior with miracle rogue courtesy of hallucination into explore ungoro.

Both auctioneers were in my hand due to a bad starting hand. How lucky.

After all was said and done I had played an 11/11 blubber baron, 2 Elise + packs, 2 sherazin, and many more shenanigans. All while he had quest done for multiple turns.

Sometimes I love this game.

Ladekabel

Even if Quest Rogue can get out of hand sometimes if they draw the nuts, I really like right now. Priest is really fun to play and Midrange/Murloc-Paladin is fun, too. I'd take this over the shitfest that was Shamanstone any day.

Cat Party

Very tempted to waste my gold on the heroic brawl. I've never tried it before, and I don't play much wild. If I play token Druid, would I want to run a Kezan to counter the freeze mages?

Tomcat

trying dragon priest and get back to back 3 quest rogues
Are you fucking kidding me blizzard?
won 2 lost 1. Dragon potion good medicine for this awful deck.

Blizzard

Banned
Earlier:

This was all back to back after sitting down for the second time with no modifications:
pirate4kduok.png

And so I reached rank 10 again after only about 4 days instead of an entire month. Maybe it was luck, maybe worse players or different decks are common at different times, who knows. I sure didn't feel like I learned anything, just had better cards. :p

I suck so badly in this beta, struggling to get out of rank 20 using quest Warrior and Rogue. It's nuts. I lose to pretty much anything. Murloc Shaman is so much better than quest rogue I don't know why people don't complain about it. Quest Rogue isn't even op, it's pretty rubbish in my experience.

Wish I'd never crafted the two quests everyone was saying are so good as I can't make them work. I can compete the quests but so what, I'm dead by that point with an empty hand and board.

i dont have second dragon fire potion so i replaced it with a holy nova. Do u think is important to have 2 potions?

I think you really want 2 dragon fire potions. Holy nova is a lot more situational. I'm still fairly new to the deck though. Maybe 1 is enough to make it work.

Yeah I will play till I have played 20 and then come back with my results. Pirate Warrior and Murloc paladin seem very hard.

I've done quite well against pirate warrior but I don't think I am supposed to. I played against 1 PW that kept removing my minions with reaper rather than going face.

As for murloc paladin, I think it's favored vs midrange but weaker to aggro. I tend to try and save SWP for warleader, get POM value when possible, and get 1 minion on the board to stick or delay the game til dragonfire potion. Usually after the first push it plays like a normalish game.

trying dragon priest and get back to back 3 quest rogues
Are you fucking kidding me blizzard?
won 2 lost 1. Dragon potion good medicine for this awful deck.

I've actually won a fair amount of quest rogue games with dragon priest. More than I have lost at least. QR can run out of value if they are not bouncing novice engineers. But also gotta be careful about coldlight oracle and vanish too.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Thijs just went 12-1 with Freeze Mage. It hardly uses any Wild cards. Ice Lance, sure, but everyone probably already has that or can afford to spend 80 dust.

People think Wild has so many old "OP" cards, but Standard features a consistent power creep that eclipses older sets. I see Dr. Boom 1/5 matches max in Wild. Ragnaros maybe 1/10. Sylvannas in any N'Zoth deck. Minibot is consistent in most Paladin decks, but he's a common card. Sludge Belcher is definitely common.

Does it run Emperor Thaurissan? He's pretty common as well. I frequently forget he's in Wild now, but he's a big deal especially in Freeze Mage, well he used to be back in the day, dunno if the current list runs him or not. Same with Loatheb.

They aren't required by any means. You can easily get to rank 5 without them for sure, but in the Heroic TB you want the best chance at success possible, and missing key legendaries like those is imposing a handicap for no reason.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why do people keep talking about Blizzard rotating Leeroy and Alex when they are barely even relevant right now?

Ice block I can get behind. That's a dumb card and I hate it. Badly designed.

If a card is problematic, it should be fixed. Not just thrown into Wild...

Does it run Emperor Thaurissan? He's pretty common as well. I frequently forget he's in Wild now, but he's a big deal especially in Freeze Mage, well he used to be back in the day, dunno if the current list runs him or not. Same with Loatheb.

They aren't required by any means. You can easily get to rank 5 without them for sure, but in the Heroic TB you want the best chance at success possible, and missing key legendaries like those is imposing a handicap for no reason.

Yeah, Emperor is required.

bunbun777

I meant your Renolock deck. I usually hit rank 5 with it every month in Wild, so I'm wondering what yours has.

Yea it was priest, probably should have gone with Warlock but...

I just threw in the usual deathrattle goodies and tried to not make it too greedy so I wouldn't get blown out too soon but I think I was still too top heavy. One of the wins I had was against an aggro shaman and another was pirate warrior, and both of those i started with reno in hand which saved my ass. The other two wins were against a reno mage and some sort of priest deck, those two were easy street.

bjaelke

I've seen a disturbing amount of Golakka Crawles in Tavern Brawl this week. It's definitely disproportionate to the amount of Pirate Warriors queueing up.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Since we are doing Fantasy Hearthstone where we hope for cards to get rotated, I'll throw my picks in.

Ice Block for sure is one. That card prevents mages from getting interesting defensive spells because it is simply better than anything else. There is no defensive power you would want to run over ice block unless it was stronger than Ice Block (bad idea), so the design space is pretty limited here. I'd be fine seeing this go and mages acutally needing to care about health totals again.

Gadgetzan Auctioneer. Why yes this does ruin a lot of decktypes for certain classes. Basically Rogue and Druid. I would be very happy to see this happen if it meant those classes could get fun and useful cards instead of being limited in what they get because of things like this being around. Having to balance all spells cheap spells with the thought that maybe they can be used in some kind of Miracle deck is a bad look. Cards like Lyra are a much better way to do this effect.

I don't see a lot of other ones that feel really problematic the way those few do.

It might be a good idea to someday remove or rework Innervate just to give druids some fairly statted minions in the future. But I have no idea how you do that. It's as big a problem as the hunter hero power. Both are really big, core design decisions that the game has always had. Not sure how to change something so structural without totally fucking up the class and it's core cards forever.

People are conceding against my Crystal Rogue even when I fuck stuff up lol.

Played optimally with the perfect hand, you can have shit going by turn four which is a bit annoying I'll admit.

But it's fun when I have to make it a few more turns before I can get going.

dinomancy is so infuriating. you'd think blizz would have learned their lesson after shadowform flopping (ok you can stick it in reno decks, but you're talking about a class with the best board clears in the game versus the class with the shittiest)

Pooya

I get nothing but mages today. I'm not sure what to play really to beat them. They can beat anything. I always win the mirrors because people are bad, I guess I have to play it myself then.

When your hp reaches zero you die, you don't get rewarded with another turn. With how much burn mage can have now with glyphs, iceblock shouldn't exist.

Mage is similar to rogue in a way that they can have a lot of damage from hand or have infinite value similar to warlock but correctly so the design for rogue has been done in a way that they can't ignore board and go face because they die while mage can do all of that and don't die and that's with their hero power too which mitigates a lot of damage. Something has to give, they can't print good cards for mage like glyph as long as iceblock exists.

Top Bottom