• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell's Kitchen Season Ten |OT| Will the winner actually get the stated prize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Prob

Banned
Been trying to figure out who Robyn reminds me of. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Is it Alvarez from Oz?

IQBzK.jpg

Might be Alvarez from Oz.

Koomaster

OMG OMG!

On a scale of 1 to 10 you say "9"?

Really? What person in their right mind wouldn't say "10"?

And she spent so much time thinking about it too lol.
I thought she was having trouble coming up with a number higher than 10, but she didn't even get that far.

Grinchy

Banned
It was nice of Robyn to come off the set of the new Batman movie to participate in this competition but she has gotten annoying in a way that's not even entertaining anymore.

Anyone else feel that the original UK kitchen nightmares format is way better than this jerry springer shit?

Dude, even the criminals on Ramsay's new prison cooking show are more sedate than these jokers. US reality tv casting and editing departments be hardcore.

I think this might be my last Hells Kitchen. I cant stand this shit anymore.

Master Chef is his only decent US show.

isny

napkin dispenser
Dude, even the criminals on Ramsay's new prison cooking show are more sedate than these jokers.

*Looks up show. Finds "Gordon Behind Bars". Downloads first two episodes.*

Great show, didn't know Ramsay was doing anything new besides Hotel Hell. Thanks for the info!

mattbison

Banned
i feel that ramsay is trolling america with this show... the contestants are such trash.. but just like jersey shore, i cant look away from the trainwreck..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
are they not allowed to eat the slightly overcooked food after? id have a hay day with it..

I've worked in restaurants and the answer is "no." Every place I've worked throws out every unused piece of cooked food. It's incredibly wasteful.

Tamanon

Banned
A slot machine with 5 slots spun 5 times and no repeating ingredients. They don't even try to make this seemed not rigged anymore.

I'm not sure anybody thought the slot machine was anything other than a method of displaying what they picked for the contestants.

mattbison

Banned
I've worked in restaurants and the answer is "no." Every place I've worked throws out every unused piece of cooked food. It's incredibly wasteful.

So is it just one of those restaurant culture things? What is the purpose of wasting so much food? So much exxxpeeennnsiiive food that is barely over/undercooked...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not sure anybody thought the slot machine was anything other than a method of displaying what they picked for the contestants.

But, but... Luck and all that.

For the past few seasons I always want to quit but I never do. I'd love to see just one episode that is not edited to hell and back. Just one.

It can't be as terrible as it's portrayed on TV. I have no doubt that if it was we would have seen physical violence by now and I don't remember ever seeing any.

RELAYER

Banned
So is it just one of those restaurant culture things? What is the purpose of wasting so much food? So much exxxpeeennnsiiive food that is barely over/undercooked...

In my restaurant experience, I've been told by owners that they don't allow it to be eaten in order to discourage people from intentionally fucking something up so that they can get a meal. If you screw up an order and get to eat it, it's almost like you are being rewarded for costing the restaurant money and making the customer wait longer.

In a setting like what Ramsay is working in, it probably has more to do with classiness. If you are some high-star professional chef, fucking an order up probably shouldn't be cause for you chowing down. They are there to cook not to eat.

isny

napkin dispenser
In my restaurant experience, I've been told by owners that they don't allow it to be eaten in order to discourage people from intentionally fucking something up so that they can get a meal. If you screw up an order and get to eat it, it's almost like you are being rewarded for costing the restaurant money and making the customer wait longer.

In a setting like what Ramsay is working in, it probably has more to do with classiness. If you are some high-star professional chef, fucking an order up probably shouldn't be cause for you chowing down. They are there to cook not to eat.

If they do a REALLY bad job on it, like burning scallops to a crisp over and over again, he'll kick em out and make em eat them as a punishment.

But, but... Luck and all that.

For the past few seasons I always want to quit but I never do. I'd love to see just one episode that is not edited to hell and back. Just one.

It can't be as terrible as it's portrayed on TV. I have no doubt that if it was we would have seen physical violence by now and I don't remember ever seeing any.

I know the ins and outs of how this show operates, and I still love watching it. It's just so damn entertaining in a weird trashy way. And when the competition finally reaches 3-4 people it actually gets better as a cooking show, more competitive.

The "to be continued" extended two part episode format has killed it for me. I always enjoyed watching the whacky challenges and maybe the punishment for the losers if it was funny, then I would DVR-fast-forward through most of dinner service and then hit play again at the result.

This new format kills my way of watching the show.

GlassBox

Banned
This season has been very bad. The editing has reached new absurd levels that I didn't think were possible. And the whole two-part business is just wrong and stupid.

Not to mention this season has been full of absolutely shit contestants, and not even the crazy/funny kind of shit, especially the women's team, my god, someone had it right that the whole women's team is an embarrassment.

isny

napkin dispenser
This season has been very bad. The editing has reached new absurd levels that I didn't think were possible. And the whole two-part business is just wrong and stupid.

Not to mention this season has been full of absolutely shit contestants, and not even the crazy/funny kind of shit, especially the women's team, my god, someone had it right that the whole women's team is an embarrassment.

Dana seems like the most sane one of em to me. She's kinda got the "I'm almost hot, but not ugly" thing going for her.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dana seems like the most sane one of em to me. She's kinda got the "I'm almost hot, but not ugly" thing going for her.

Dana IMO looks a lot better in the close-up confession-cam segments than she does on normal kitchen camera. King of weird.

.GqueB.

Banned
SOMETHING SO OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

THE MOST BIZARRE EPISODE YET
THE MOST HATE FUELED EPISODE YET
THE MOST CRAZIEST MOST ZANIEST

I fucking hate those so much. I always feel like shit when I watch this show. Such crap. I leaned over to my girlfriend during one of the last challenges and said "It's gonna be tied 2-2 when the last contestants come up" and of course it happens. Said thing is, the show doesn't HAVE to be like this. NO one is watching to see some close matchup. Just makes it annoying to watch when I know it's rigged.

There are plenty of instances in Top Chef where one team CLEARLY trounces the other and they don't try to manufacture drama. They just let it happen. I don't see why FOX edits like this. Just produce a good show and people will watch. Stop trying to manufacture everything. And stop fucking showing ambulances pull up in previews. THEY'RE NEVER EVEN USED!!!

benjipwns

Banned
THE MOST BIZARRE EPISODE YET
THE MOST HATE FUELED EPISODE YET
THE MOST CRAZIEST MOST ZANIEST

I fucking hate those so much. I always feel like shit when I watch this show. Such crap. I leaned over to my girlfriend during one of the last challenges and said "It's gonna be tied 2-2 when the last contestants come up" and of course it happens. Said thing is, the show doesn't HAVE to be like this. NO one is watching to see some close matchup. Just makes it annoying to watch when I know it's rigged.

There are plenty of instances in Top Chef where one team CLEARLY trounces the other and they don't try to manufacture drama. They just let it happen. I don't see why FOX edits like this. Just produce a good show and people will watch. Stop trying to manufacture everything. And stop fucking showing ambulances pull up in previews. THEY'RE NEVER EVEN USED!!!
When did you start watching the show?

Because veterans know you're just strapping in and letting FOX take you for a ride of abject stupidity.

The tie meme has been established to the point I stupidly didn't pick it for the thread title because I thought it was too obvious.

I do agree, and I think so does all of HK-GAF. We're just in the acceptance phase now.

.GqueB.

Banned
When did you start watching the show?

Because veterans know you're just strapping in and letting FOX take you for a ride of abject stupidity.

The tie meme has been established to the point I stupidly didn't pick it for the thread title because I thought it was too obvious.

I do agree, and I think so does all of HK-GAF. We're just in the acceptance phase now.

I've been watching since around season 2 off and on. I have a way of watching that only takes about a half an hour though. I always watch the first challenge because it's the only thing that actually matters (since you kind of want to lose the dinner service so you can get rid of your fluff), fast forward through the punishment/reward scene, watch dinner service, fast forward through the rest of the show.

I just can't take all of the dramatic commercial breaks and pauses. And the curve balls that aren't curve balls at all because you see them coming a mile away. And I'm sure the vets will love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

ag-my001

There's also the corollary that if one team has built up a lead, their "last" dish will be thrown out for no points, allowing the other to get n+1 points on their final plate.

I'm still going with my (unpublished) pick of Dana. As an instructor, she should have a firm grasp of all the basics, and she was (seemingly) smart enough to focus on scallops. The catch will be if she's seemed so quiet because there's been so much else on that side to focus on, or if she's too quiet to lead a kitchen.

benjipwns

Banned
I always watch the first challenge because it's the only thing that actually matters (since you kind of want to lose the dinner service so you can get rid of your fluff), fast forward through the punishment/reward scene, watch dinner service, fast forward through the rest of the show.
A real pro! :lol

Didn't mean to come off insulting or anything, we get a good amount of newbies still. My fault for not noticing you, can I blame the avatar?

.GqueB.

Banned
A real pro! :lol

Didn't mean to come off insulting or anything, we get a good amount of newbies still. My fault for not noticing you, can I blame the avatar?

Lol no worries. My avatar changes pretty frequently and I don't really post in these threads so often. I usually watch days after so I don't wanna pop in and get spoiled.

I really wish I could stay away from this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom