• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Chesskid1

Banned
gbSP (GBA) emulator now working in the latest retroarch nightly, many games are running at full speed already. a few other fixes as well.

https://youtu.be/_NupM3T24EM

from the video description:

libretro said:
IF YOU WANT TO RUN GBA GAMES WITH GPSP -

Copy the file 'gba_bios.bin' ux0:/data/retroarch/cores/system

NOTES: gpSP right now runs in interpreter CPU core mode, but even so, most if not all of the games which have idle loop hack optimizations can already run at fullspeed or close to anyway. Once the dynarec starts working, all remaining performance problems should go away.

edit: wow games run so well!!

I have XP on PC and SL on Mac and I always had problems with QCMA, after installing it worked, then from the day after QCMA doesn't see my Vita aymore, I gave up and I'll try again when I have updated S.O.
Thanks for this. My 2006 iMac (first Intel version) can't even install QCMA - the install file has a warning circle on it, double clicking on it says it's not meant for this computer (I have Snow Leopard). I'm surprised my MBA with Lion can't run it though. I don't want to update to the latest OS :-/

AFAIK you're hooped.

What difference does it make?
Check your system info and if you are still on 3.60 you should be fine, right?
Just don't manually install the update.
My Vita downloaded it but I never installed it, and I can still run Molocule etc.. just fine.

Lime

Yeah, I still get the error. Actually, iirc, it doesn't even connect with a cable, but it does via wi-fi. But then I immediately get the error. I stopped trying after a while as I don't need it really for now, but still.

You have to put the Vita in flight mode when connecting with QMCA.

And double check that you installed the QMCA properly.

Kilau

Yeah, I still get the error. Actually, iirc, it doesn't even connect with a cable, but it does via wi-fi. But then I immediately get the error. I stopped trying after a while as I don't need it really for now, but still.

You have to put the Vita in flight mode when connecting with QMCA.

And double check that you installed the QMCA properly.

Yep, it only works over USB. If you have wifi enabled the Vita will check for the update flag or something even if connecting to PC via QMCA.

Putting the Vita into flight mode and then doing a power cycle works for me.

Right. With the announcement of 4.0 I have to clarify. Is there a port of this in the works for PS4? With Neo just around the corner, I'd rather keep this PS4 for homebrew and never update.

Is it wishful thinking or is someone working on this?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Right. With the announcement of 4.0 I have to clarify. Is there a port of this in the works for PS4? With Neo just around the corner, I'd rather keep this PS4 for homebrew and never update.

The exploit works on the current (non-4.0) firmware, but I haven't heard anything about people doing much with it. It remains to be seen. If you aren't using your PS4 currently, just hold off on Updating for like a month or two and see?

The exploit works on the current (non-4.0) firmware, but I haven't heard anything about people doing much with it. It remains to be seen. If you aren't using your PS4 currently, just hold off on Updating for like a month or two and see?

Yeah. I'm lucky enough to have access to two PS4s at the moment so I'm not missing anything. I'll turn off my internet connection from now.

Anony

does any of the filters work on retroarch?
would love to get some sort of basic crt filter on snes or lcd filter on gba games

Chuy

Nah. He just downloaded the update file, but didn't apply it.

1. Open VitaShell (or molecularShell, whatever you have). Navigate to:
  2. ud0:pSP2UPDATE/
  3. And delete all the files there.

And turn off automatic updates!
Thank you for that. I was in the same situation and thought I was screwed.

EDIT: Was hoping it'd fix my QCMA issue of updating to use it as well but apparently i'm asking for too much here

Trying to install VHBL on my 3.60 Vita, but I can't get past the "you must update the system software" message. Am I screwed (for now), or is there a way to remove the update it has downloaded?

Already disabled automatic updates and put the machine in airplane mode. Didn't help.

LewieP

I seem to get "Error c2-12828-1" when trying to load roms on the latest nightly build of gpsps. I've got the bios file in the appropriate directory. Any ideas?

Edit: Fixed it with a database repair.

synce

Check wololo. Apparently this is nothing new on the PS4 front, so odds of anything big coming from it are slim.

Personally I'm not updating anyway since there's nothing I'm dying to play this year

Chuy

Having the lovely issue of the qcma trick not registering any new games I've downloaded to my ps3 showing up. Suggestions?
Also does the download queue trick still work? I might try that instead if so

Kilau

Having the lovely issue of the qcma trick not registering any new games I've downloaded to my ps3 showing up. Suggestions?
Also does the download queue trick still work? I might try that instead if so

I don't think the download queue is working, at least it didn't for me, but using qcma on my PC to trick the vita past the update prompt when changing the USB cable to PS3 worked.

Chuy

I don't think the download queue is working, at least it didn't for me, but using qcma on my PC to trick the vita past the update prompt when changing the USB cable to PS3 worked.
The trick works but the problem is the games I'm trying to transfer onto it aren't showing on the transfer list and I know they're compatible this method.

Kilau

The trick works but the problem is the games I'm trying to transfer onto it aren't showing on the transfer list and I know they're compatible this method.

Oh, that's odd. Everything on PS3 has showed up in the transfer list, but it's just been vita games and dlc.

Does RetroArchsnes9x2005 have save states/menu similar to Snes9xvita? The performance is better on RetroArch but I don't see a way to access a menu, but I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere?

ss_lemonade

L+R+Start+Select = Menu

Messed me up for a bit too.

That's a pretty terrible button combination for the vita. This did not work for me though. With the latest nightly, it doesn't look like there's a shortcut set for the menu. Had to select a new one using Down + Square + L + R

Joey Ravn

Banned
That's a pretty terrible button combination for the vita. This did not work for me though. With the latest nightly, it doesn't look like there's a shortcut set for the menu. Had to select a new one using Down + Square + L + R

I just mapped it to the right direction in the right analog stick, since I don't use it for anything :p

So I'm thinking about getting into this. Is it worth getting now or is it best to wait till it grows more?

I... don't get this question. Are you on a lower firmware, like 3.52? Because that's the only reason I could think of for not wanting to update to 3.60. But if you're going to sit on 3.60 and wait for the homebrew scene to get better (since you just can't update to 3.61 if you want homebrew), there's no reason not to jump in now. You're still cutting yourself off from PSN access, so why not take advantage of HENkaku? RetroArch cores work great for the most part, more and more homebrew apps are being released and once Mike H. (or someone else) finally completes the reverse engineering of the exploit, we'll probably have kernel access and that will open a whole new world of possibilities.

So I'm thinking about getting into this. Is it worth getting now or is it best to wait till it grows more?

SNES already works wonderfully. GBA is improving by leaps and bounds especially since now RetroArch has a GBA core, and as for the others I do not know. There's also a Cave Story port, though- and a way to play RPG Maker 2000-2003 games. I'd say there's a TON of stuff you could already get out of this, you never know when a similarly extensive hack will come out. Any digital-only games you really gotta buy in the next year?

I took the plunge.

Two of my top five games of all time (really) are Wario Ware for GBA and Punch-Out!! for NES. So of course when trying a new emulation platform I try them out. Coincidentally (?) they are both extremely timing dependent. In plain speak: lag messes you up. On any given week, I've almost certainly played these games on real hardware, so I'm always sensitive to lag on other platforms as I have a solid frame of reference.

So, yeah. While NEStopia and mGBA look and sound great, there's lag and it messes me up. gPSP seems a little snappier, but audio is bad on Wario Ware. I'm overall impressed, though. I just won't be playing such timing-sensitive games on them. Hopefully things improve in that department.

Oh, playing Chip's Challenge on Handy is bringing me a whole lot of joy. The Lynx rendition is my favorite version of that game.

Got a PS TV 2nd hand, although it's still signed in as someone else. I can't sign out as the previous person because it wants to update past 3.60... Any ideas? How bizarre that the thing won't fully factory reset offline.

Top Bottom