• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Joey Ravn

Banned
Offline installer released:

https://github.com/henkaku/offline-installer/releases/tag/1.0

To install the exploit (You need internet connection to install the exploit, but not to run it):
  • First, install and activate HENkaku from https://henkaku.xyz/
  • Install the vpk
  • Launch offlineInstaller bubble
  • Follow the instructions: press CROSS to install
  • (Do not delete the bubble after the exploit is installed. You should redo the installation when you have internet access to ensure that you get the latest version of HENkaku)

To run the exploit:
  • Reboot your PS Vita
  • Disable Wi-Fi
  • Open Email app. If at some point it asks you to enable wifi, press "No". If you have wifi switched on, the message list will not load.
  • If you have multiple email accounts, select "HENkaku Offline"
  • Select "Inbox", then click on the first email
  • Wait about 10-20 seconds. You might get a "Please wait" screen multiple times. You might also get an "An error has occurred" screen multiple times. If you get any of these more than five times in a row, reboot your Vita and try again.
  • You should see the same screen as with online installation (black screen with text and molecule logo)

To uninstall the exploit:
  • Launch offlineInstaller
  • Press CIRCLE to uninstall

Ok help please

After 2 hours I have installed the Henkaku, filezilla, connected to the server, I put the retroarch emulators (unzipped) in the Ux0 folder, installed "Snes2010" emulator

Opened up that core, load content, checked ux0 folder, but there are no games there

So where can I actually download games (.vpk?)

Never done emulating Before...just Went through all this to get a chanse to play super mario all stars, mario World and zelda a link to the past...

Appriciate the help!

I managed to find a ROM (sfc) and the game was working on the snes2010 emulator but crappy sound

tried the catsfc vpk and sound is spot on but I can only navigate in the menus. Once the game go from menu to actual gameplay I cant move the character any idea what I can do? From the option I can only choose SNES Joypad or SNES Mouse if that has anything to do with it

Joey Ravn

Banned
I managed to find a ROM (sfc) and the game was working on the snes2010 emulator but crappy sound

tried the catsfc vpk and sound is spot on but I can only navigate in the menus. Once the game go from menu to actual gameplay I cant move the character any idea what I can do? From the option I can only choose SNES Joypad or SNES Mouse if that has anything to do with it

You probably want to install the SNES9X 2005 core, which is what CATSFC is called nowadays. As for your issues with input, you can set your buttons in Configuration > Input (or something like that, IIRC).

Also, you mean that you dumped your own ROM, right? Remember: no piracy ;)

ss_lemonade

In order for sram saves to work, make sure to close the emulator by using the menu, quit retroarch. If you hard close it the sram will NOT save

Retroarch has an option to autosave sram in intervals. It's there on the android port so I would expect it to be in the vita port as well.

Woohoo, thanks.

Do you mean you need to have opened the app at least once before installing offline installer?

Yeah that's correct. I had never once opened the email app in all the time I've had my Vita, and so the offlineinstaller app politely asked me to first open up the email app and then close it before continuing.

Taruranto

Question about a possible update to HENkaku.

I understand I can use VHBL with it, but it requires a PSP/Demo from the store, right?

Can I use the one I used for TN-V? (Since I wouldn't need TN-V anymore I guess)

Holy shit, mGBA has improved leaps and bounds in the last few days. Games are now playable (despite frequent slowdowns)!

Does anyone know of a place where mGBA Vita's bugs are being written down? mGBA's own forums seemed pretty dead. Castlevania AoS crashes often in the save loading screen but is pretty much full performance ingame for the most part.

Holy shit, mGBA has improved leaps and bounds in the last few days. Games are now playable (despite frequent slowdowns)!

Does anyone know of a place where mGBA Vita's bugs are being written down? mGBA's own forums seemed pretty dead. Castlevania AoS crashes often in the save loading screen but is pretty much full performance ingame for the most part.

Looks like people mostly post about it on their GitHub page.

Sounds like I'll have to update! Any crashes or anything? Also are there any performance gains from using an actual BIOS?

Looks like people mostly post about it on their GitHub page.

Sounds like I'll have to update! Any crashes or anything? Also are there any performance gains from using an actual BIOS?
Castlevania AoS is the only one out of the bunch I tried that crashed, and always at the same place: the save select screen. I tried, hmmm, Super Mario Bros 3, F-Zero GP Legend, Metroid Zero Mission, Castlevania AoS, Kuru Kuru Kururin. All games except Kururin have slowdowns at times, but are always playable. Didn't try a BIOS but I hear it doesn't change much, at least not just yet.

Edit: the GitHub page says that Castlevania AoS had some glitches that were fixed by using the BIOS, welp.

I heard it was possible to have multiple psn accounts using henkaku. anybody know how? My main account is japanese but I have dlc for shinobido 2 in english. Can I finally have access to it?

Tried 10+ of my games and it seems like super Mario all stars is the only game that the control Does not work for. Everything Else for nes snes gc gbc is very nice :)

Can anyone please explain how you save with retroarch. Once I enter a game I cant reach any menu to save. Its Not like the catsfc core where I can just press L1 + R1 and enter a save menu.

Tried 10+ of my games and it seems like super Mario all stars is the only game that the control Does not work for. Everything Else for nes snes gc gbc is very nice :)

Can anyone please explain how you save with retroarch. Once I enter a game I cant reach any menu to save. Its Not like the catsfc core where I can just press L1 + R1 and enter a save menu.

Press l+r+select+start

Also if you are going to use in game sram make sure you exit the emulator and not close it by ps menu. Make sure to save state often because there are reports of failing srams

I think in all stars you need to switch the controllers for some reason

Gradon

No reports of any bans yet right? I'm on the fence, I'd be devastated to lose my account but I want that RPG Maker player especially. And some emulators.

No reports of any bans yet right? I'm on the fence, I'd be devastated to lose my account but I want that RPG Maker player especially. And some emulators.

Pretty sure there hasn't been a single confirmed ban yet. Just "jokes" and people who refuse to show proof.

Agkel

Slightly off topic, I just got a new ps vita slim through groupon for 130. It's on its way. As this was definitely not a planned purchase I was wondering if the included 1GB will be enough for now.

I bought these games(Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars and Muramasa) and only want space for the save files. I'll be expanding to a 32GB in the near future though.

Also any tips for a new vita owner?

Lime

Slightly off topic, I just got a new ps vita slim through groupon for 130. It's on its way. As this was definitely not a planned purchase I was wondering if the included 1GB will be enough for now.

I bought these games(Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars and Muramasa) and only want space for the save files. I'll be expanding to a 32GB in the near future though.

Also any tips for a new vita owner?

If you want home brew and avoid updating, then you can only activate a vita with a PS3 and qmca

Agkel

You need a memcard for homebrew.

I think that the games install on the inboard memory so you do need a memcard for retail

If you want home brew and avoid updating, then you can only activate a vita with a PS3 and qmca

I have an old ps3 somewhere that I can dig out but for the time been can I do this when I receive my vita:

-Open vita, insert any of those 4 games I mentioned, play them and save the progress?

I will probably look into the whole homebrew stuff as soon as I get my 32GB card in a few weeks but for now, can I just play those games that I mentioned?

Breads

Banned
What happens if you're still running 3.60 but you were too late to disable auto download of files? It says I have the update downloaded and available and I want to delete it though am undecided on whether or not I want to commit to homebrew just yet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't get Update Blocker to let me into the store, did they seal that hole up already?

Swass

I can't get Update Blocker to let me into the store, did they seal that hole up already?

It appears so, I had trouble as well, and the there is a thread on wololo with several others confirming it also.. hopefully we get a homebrew firmware spoofer sooner than later.

Forgive my ignorance but will this lead to a permanent hack? Ala PSP?

crossed-fingers-sign-of-the-cross-resembles-the-salvation-of-mankind-through-Christs-crucifix.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but will this lead to a permanent hack? Ala PSP?

Just to be clear only certain PSP models are capable of a "permanent" hack where nothing is required to run to enable the hack on reboot. On my PSP go for instance I have to run a fast installer every reboot to enable homebrew.

Top Bottom