• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really, the format system option doesn't work?

Nope, at least not after 3.55 for me. I'm in the same boat as him as using a different account to quickly get Marvel online rounds done and can't switch back to my main account due to PSN wanting to update the hardware.

Are you doing "Restore This System"? Or something else.

Pretty sure it's illegal to have a system like this without a proper working system wipe.

Literally both options will not format without updating online. So my second hand system is stuck logged in as someone else, not ideal if Sony go on a banning rampage for the poor guy who owned this previously.

Try that account switcher program. I was able to restore multiple times offline, but perhaps the key difference is that I simply wasn't logged in to an account at all.

That's a pretty terrible button combination for the vita. This did not work for me though. With the latest nightly, it doesn't look like there's a shortcut set for the menu. Had to select a new one using Down + Square + L + R

It didn't work for me either. Where do I set the button configuration to open the menu?

Xemnas89

So I did this last night and got Retroarch emulators. For some reason anytime I save in a game and quit it never keeps the save. Do you have to use save states?

So I did this last night and got Retroarch emulators. For some reason anytime I save in a game and quit it never keeps the save. Do you have to use save states?

I read somewhere you should make sure to exit through the emulator menu, but I can't figure out how to open the menu :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4y0f1f/koth_progress/

Yikes. Yifan Lu has outright said that there has been very little progress in reverse-engineering the exploit and that the scene is already dying. And it doesn't look like he's going to release the source code before at least a year...

What a depressing way to halt progress :(

Read about this earlier. This whole king of the hill challenge was a great idea in theory, but if it's going to take a year to figure out how one entrypoint works then no momentum is going to be built here.

Yikes. Yifan Lu has outright said that there has been very little progress in reverse-engineering the exploit and that the scene is already dying. And it doesn't look like he's going to release the source code before at least a year...

Unfortunate, but not surprising. I think he overestimates both the talent and technical interest from the scene with respect to the in-and-outs of the exploit. People seem more interested in utility than anything else - which is understandable, of course.

Chesskid1

Banned
I didn't expect much out of Henkaku.

yeah, ok.

Unfortunate, but not surprising. I think he overestimates both the talent and technical interest from the scene with respect to the in-and-outs of the exploit. People seem more interested in utility than anything else - which is understandable, of course.

yeah, hacking closed devices isnt worth the time really anymore, its still cool though from a technical prospective if you are interested.

fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

nice article from fail0verflow if you havent read it. basically cheap and powerful devices with open development are becoming commonplace. whats the point of hacking consoles?

Shaneus

Ego? I'm glad I kept my 1000 Vita on a lower firmware that can use TN-V. I didn't expect much out of Henkaku.
I'm the same too. As much as I'd love to play all the emulators etc. in native resolution outside the PSP environment, there's not enough to pull me away from everything I can do with TN-V.

For now.

Scene is having news every day. Hardly dying.

Yifan has the keys to the kingdom and it's his judgement to release them. I don't understand this way of thinking but hey

Tnv? 60 fps chrono trigger

I believe the rationale for not releasing source code of the exploit is to make it less likely that Sony completely removes it in a firmware update. If there's enough interest in the scene, that's a minor issue since firmware spoofers, etc will be developed, but without such utilities there's little to gain from releasing source code.

Also, I expect they've shared details with trusted established devs but I could be wrong.

killatopak

Gold Member
I wish they could make PSP/PS1 emu work again. I just want to play my DJ maxes. Vita DJ max is just a touch screen rhythm game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
yeah, ok.

Scene is having news every day. Hardly dying.

I think I get what he's saying. Look at how much the 3DS scene has developed over the course of a year. Sure, we're getting emulators and cool apps like Moonlight and others, but I fear that unless developers can fully understand this kernel exploit, we won't be getting anything else.

For example, the exploit is limited to 3.60 and without a firmware spoofer or a CFW, it's going to stay that way. Being locked to a specific firmware is extremely limiting, and more and more people will start updating once the novelty wears off and they start missing PSN functionality. The fewer people using this exploit, the lesser the motivation to develop for it will be.

Besides, yeah: open platforms for emulation are really cheap nowadays. There's not much incentive to crack open a closed platform when the alternatives are so readily available.

I believe the rationale for not releasing source code of the exploit is to make it less likely that Sony completely removes it in a firmware update. If there's enough interest in the scene, that's a minor issue since firmware spoofers, etc will be developed, but without such utilities there's little to gain from releasing source code.

The entrypoint, a flaw in the browser, has already been patched by Sony with 3.61. What you're suggesting is a snake eating its own tail: in order to develop firmware spoofers and utilites that would allow you to bypass those limitations, you would need to have full kernel access. But in order to do that, you need to have the source code at your disposal. But if there's no reason to release the source code, why would Yifan Lu do it...? So which should happen first?

ss_lemonade

It didn't work for me either. Where do I set the button configuration to open the menu?
Start any of the retroarch cores (I believe they all share the same config for now) then go to Settings > Input and look for "Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo" and just choose a setting that works for you. Once you do that, make sure you quit the app. Just head back to the top most main menu and select "Quit Retroarch". I believe by the design, retroarch only saves config settings after you exit the app properly. Closing the bubble/app through the vita os will not make your settings stick.

thuway

Give me a break. Like any good thing it takes time, but there are enough passionate Vita users out there that can attest that this thing has the capability of becoming the greatest handheld emulation machine with the proper works.

On top of that, there are so many - Vita/PSP titles that could use modifications. IE - Persona 4 Golden with Japanese voices, Star Ocean PSP translated for the US - and I could keep going. To talk about the scene dying when we haven't even passed the six month point is ridiculous and premature.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Give me a break. Like any good thing it takes time, but there are enough passionate Vita users out there that can attest that this thing has the capability of becoming the greatest handheld emulation machine with the proper works.

On top of that, there are so many - Vita/PSP titles that could use modifications. IE - Persona 4 Golden with Japanese voices, Star Ocean PSP translated for the US - and I could keep going. To talk about the scene dying when we haven't even passed the six month point is ridiculous and premature.

Eh. That's an extremely bold claim, given how much powerful and open Android devices are nowadays.

I don't think Yifan Lu's (one of the chief guys who cracked the Vita, nonetheless) opinion on this matter is something to disregard so easily. He knows full well how this stuff works and if he's saying that no one is near to cracking it wide open as he did, that statement carries a certain weight. I wouldn't say that the scene is already dying, but I don't know how much more it can keep its momentum without proper access to the kernel.

As for PSP games... well, the PSP scene has been going on for years now. It has nothing to do with the current state of the Vita scene.

How do you do that? Once I'm in a game I can't get any kind of menu to open. I've tried several button combinations and nothing has worked this far.

Before you start a game check the settings then Input.
Its called "Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo".

Its:
L1+R1+Start+Select

Though you can change it to
Down+L1+R1+Y

To save properly just exit from there after youve saved in game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
As always Vitabros are very easy to pessimism, almost pessimism happy, sometimes they give me the impression that they love vita so much that they suffer for the bad news that deep inside they want vita to die so their suffer can end lol XD

I know i fantasize too much lol.

Joey Ravn

Banned
i'm confused. what do you mean by proper kernal access?

So far, most developers are only able to use HENkaku as an entry point to execute unsigned software. Developers like Mike H. have been reverse-engineering the exploit, but have just been able to show what is happening (what functions are being called), not to explain why it happens. That is why we still have no access to the kernel exploit, even though HENkaku is widely available: it's there, but no one knows how to take advantage of it. As a result, only very "basic" applications have been developed so far, like RetroArch or Moonlight, but nothing that fundamentally changes the system's behavior.

To put it in perspective, think of the 3DS scene before and after A9HL. Before it, the scene was limited to 9.2 or prior firmwares, no downgrades were possible and CFWs were very limited. Having access to boot functions opened the door to a myriad of possibilities. The same is happening here: until developers can control the Vita from the very core (the kernel), only superficial stuff can be achieved. Firmware spoofers, CFWs, and hell, even piracy are very difficult to achieve without kernel access.

Yifan Lu has promised to release the source code once someone reverse-engineers the exploit completely, but I feel like he's not going to do it. Hopefully, either someone has a major breakthrough or he realizes that things will slow down to a crawl sooner rather than later and releases the source code of his own volition.

Mind you, I'm not being a pessimist. I would love to have such a vibrant scene on Vita as on 3DS. But let's be real: we're not there just yet.

Chesskid1

Banned
So far, most developers are only able to use HENkaku as an entry point to execute unsigned software. Developers like Mike H. have been reverse-engineering the exploit, but have just been able to show what is happening (what functions are being called), not to explain why it happens. That is why we still have no access to the kernel exploit, even though HENkaku is widely available: it's there, but no one knows how to take advantage of it. As a result, only very "basic" applications have been developed so far, like RetroArch or Moonlight, but nothing that fundamentally changes the system's behavior.

To put it in perspective, think of the 3DS scene before and after A9HL. Before it, the scene was limited to 9.2 or prior firmwares, no downgrades were possible and CFWs were very limited. Having access to boot functions opened the door to a myriad of possibilities. The same is happening here: until developers can control the Vita from the very core (the kernel), only superficial stuff can be achieved. Firmware spoofers, CFWs, and hell, even piracy are very difficult to achieve without kernel access.

Yifan Lu has promised to release the source code once someone reverse-engineers the exploit completely, but I feel like he's not going to do it. Hopefully, either someone has a major breakthrough or he realizes that things will slow down to a crawl sooner rather than later and releases the source code of his own volition.

i really appreciate this post! thank you!

i guess i don't see the appeal of kernal access because HENkaku is already doing everything i want/expect from a hacked vita, from actual vita game modding to homebrew. (i know psp is missing right now, but still). not really interested in piracy, as i'm a physical collector so i can play most of my games too.

i know it sucks for henkaku to be limited to a certain amount of people, but maybe it isn't so bad.

i really appreciate this post! thank you!

i guess i don't see the appeal of kernal access because HENkaku is already doing everything i want/expect from a hacked vita, from actual vita game modding to homebrew. (i know psp is missing right now, but still). not interested in piracy, as i'm a physical collector.

i know it sucks for henkaku to be limited to a certain amount of people, but maybe it isn't so bad.

Well having access to homebrew AND Psn would be nice.

I'd like to add that Yifan Lu, as I recall, said in the KOTH announcement post that he'd reconsider revealing the source code as a prize if there weren't enough people trying to reverse engineer HENkaku.

Before you start a game check the settings then Input.
Its called "Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo".

Its:
L1+R1+Start+Select

Though you can change it to
Down+L1+R1+Y

To save properly just exit from there after youve saved in game.

Great! I'll take a look later. Really appreciate the help.

LewieP

I wouldn't worry about getting too hung up on the direction the scene is going in. These things take time, but often progress very quickly in short bursts when people manage to make a breakthrough (as we've seen since Henkaku was made available).

Don't underestimate people's ingenuity.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I wouldn't worry about getting too hung up on the direction the scene is going in. These things take time, but often progress very quickly in short bursts when people manage to make a breakthrough (as we've seen since Henkaku was made available).

Don't underestimate people's ingenuity.

I hope so. Modding my n3DS gave it a gazillion more times the value it originally had. I can only hope something like that happens for the Vita!

animax

I don't understand why people are upset over the source code - if he did release it, the scene would still need people skilled/smart/dedicated enough to take it forward, but such a person/team doesn't exist because if they did they'd conquer the koth contest! Don't you see the fallacy of complaining??

animax

I'm hopeful in the ability of Mike H. et al to successfully crack the code, literally and figuratively, and have Yifan Lu release HENkaku's source code, so the Vita scene can reach its full potential.

This is the same fallacy! The vita scene can only reach its full potential IF somebody can crack the code. Don't get me wrong, I love the vita scene and have been around since launch-day - I also want somebody to get to the top of the hill and have such a good understanding of the innards that they can improve the scene.

I work in software development for a living - there's a huge difference between writing/understanding code intimately and just reading/implementing someone elses source code

Skyzard

Banned
I was checking for updates for CATSFC for Vita because of the issue with the mario platformers (fixed with some other emulators that have the same issue by configuring the Player 2 inputs to match Player 1*) as he hasn't updated in a while and it looks like he's working on Mupen64 for Vita.

*Can't do it with catsfc but you can with some of the retroarch ones.

Genesis savestates are working with retroarch.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Edit: Nevermind.

I'm gonna take some time off from the Vita scene, since things have been slowing down... and some people are turning it into something I'm not really enjoying. If there's anything major going on, I'll jump back :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yifan Lu, Hero to Zero in record time.
Release the source code and let the community take over.
I guess that you mean this more as a funny gest, but i've seen other people being angry at someone because they dont release something. Yifan Lu has contributed greatly to the Vita scene, perhaps the most, so i really dont see why he would reach "zero status" simply because he wont release the source code anytime soon. I assume that he does it like this to prevent piracy, or at least that being a part of it.

Mind you, I'm not being a pessimist. I would love to have such a vibrant scene on Vita as on 3DS. But let's be real: we're not there just yet.
As a guy who havnt followed the 3DS scene that much, whats the difference before and after A9HL? Then i'm mostly thinking about in terms of homebrew developement, not things like firmware downgrade possibilities and such.

Lime

Reading up on wololo.net, the background of henkaku is so interesting:

Rejuvenate was a ray of hope, but it was just a sparkle that died quickly. It wasn’t due to lack of effort on the scene’s end though: I drove a homebrew competition with $1000 in cash prizes for the Rejuvenate hack, but that wasn’t enough to bring more users to the hack. That effort wasn’t in vain though: It’s thanks to the revitalize competition that we had native Vita homebrews such as VitaQuake, Snes9XVita and SMSPlusvita available on day 1 for HENkaku. The winner of the Revitalize competition, VitaShell, was used as the base for HENkaku’s main program MolecularShell.

If it hadn't been for the effort by the community and wololo herself/himself (+1 grand), then henkaku wouldn't have been a thing. Amazing

Chesskid1

Banned
I was checking for updates for CATSFC for Vita because of the issue with the mario platformers (fixed with some other emulators that have the same issue by configuring the Player 2 inputs to match Player 1*) as he hasn't updated in a while and it looks like he's working on Mupen64 for Vita.

awesome.. i just took a look at his github and seems he is really working on an nintendo64, haven't seen people mention this anywhere. thank you.

Reading up on wololo.net, the background of henkaku is so interesting:

If it hadn't been for the effort by the community and wololo herself/himself (+1 grand), then henkaku wouldn't have been a thing. Amazing

the dev of mGBA said he was considering discontinuing developing the vita version.. until HENkaku came along that is. saved the scene.

Top Bottom