• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Lime

I also really dislike how quick Sony put out a fix, but they won't even lift a fucking finger for years on end with all the dumb nonsense that's plaguing their software and distribution channels.

Vita TV blacklist is complete arbitratry bullshit
The PSN store doesn't even offer up categories of PS1 and PS2 Classics, it's completely manual how you find old games
PS4 still can't emulate PS1 games (lol!)
Some PSP games can't be transferred to the Vita for some reason
You can't save high-res pictures via the Vita browser
and probably tons of other things I have forgotten

When it comes to software, I'm just rolling my eyes so hard at what Sony is doing.

I also really dislike how quick Sony put out a fix, but they won't even lift a fucking finger for years on end with all the dumb nonsense that's plaguing their software and distribution channels.

The PSN store doesn't even offer up categories of PS1 and PS2 Classics, it's completely manual how you find old games

When it comes to software, I'm just rolling my eyes so hard at what Sony is doing.
inconveniencing pirates > improving legit user experience.

classic.

test_account

XP-39C²
Isnt there some reasoning behind it?

inconveniencing pirates > improving legit user experience.

classic.
Having custom code runing could mean cheating online, which leads to worse legit user experience. But i cant see this being a case of prioritizing one thing over another. I mean, this fix was probably done quick, and i cant see the time being spent on it would had gone to fixing something else if the exploit didnt exist.

The content list on the ps3 is one of the biggest messes I could possibly imagine. Just unreal.

Lime

The content list on the ps3 is one of the biggest messes I could possibly imagine. Just unreal.

lol so true. How would people even know how to access their purchased downloaded content on PS3? It's a miracle to find it if you don't go on the internet to ask around. Like who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to have it hidden away in Account Management and then just have a long list filled with all items that you have to browse through like crazy.

lol so true. How would people even know how to access their purchased downloaded content on PS3? It's a miracle to find it if you don't go on the internet to ask around. Like who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to have it hidden away in Account Management and then just have a long list filled with all items that you have to browse through like crazy.

I wouldn't mind quite so much if there was some sort of organisation or listing options. There's nothing. Just a fucking mess. When you update your ps+ subscription then it all swaps around again.. Forget about it.

Shaneus

Isnt there some reasoning behind it?
Testing, I think. What is bullshit, however, is that Lumines in the US will work on PSTV, but not in the EU. BUT, if you have a US Lumines retail copy in the EU/AU, it will work on PSTV.

Not that it worries me now though, I has my whitelist :)

Be nice to go online with it too, but I guess you can't win them all (yet).

Before you start a game check the settings then Input.
Its called "Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo".

Its:
L1+R1+Start+Select

Though you can change it to
Down+L1+R1+Y

To save properly just exit from there after youve saved in game.

Where do I need to put my save files from snes9xvita so that RetroArchsnes9x2005 recognizes them?

Again, thanks to you and all the others for all the help. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure others do as well.

Where do I need to put my save files from snes9xvita so that RetroArchsnes9x2005 recognizes them?

Again, thanks to you and all the others for all the help. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure others do as well.

ux0/data/retroarch/cores/snes9x_2005/savefiles if memory serves.

I'm playing like five different GBA metroidvanias at once I love it

Is there something wrong with the gpsp core? I noticed that it's slow as shit on some games - for some reason Fire Red is about half speed. I prefer to stay off of gpsp anyways (its low accuracy being seen as "good enough" is endlessly frustrating to me), but mGBA still needs some work clearly so I was hoping it could be a decent alternative for some games.

Is there something wrong with the gpsp core? I noticed that it's slow as shit on some games - for some reason Fire Red is about half speed. I prefer to stay off of gpsp anyways (its low accuracy being seen as "good enough" is endlessly frustrating to me), but mGBA still needs some work clearly so I was hoping it could be a decent alternative for some games.

It also crashes when trying to load Super Mario Advance 4 for some reason.

Besides that and some minor slowdowns in graphically heavy areas/ some game menus, I'm loving gPSP so far.

BTW, I'd recommend disabling Bilinear Filtering in gPSP- the games look a whole metric shitton crisper without it (although pixelated, which is far more preferable for me than blurry).

test_account

XP-39C²
Testing, I think. What is bullshit, however, is that Lumines in the US will work on PSTV, but not in the EU. BUT, if you have a US Lumines retail copy in the EU/AU, it will work on PSTV.

Not that it worries me now though, I has my whitelist :)

Be nice to go online with it too, but I guess you can't win them all (yet).
I see. Maybe some licensing issues for some regions? But i dont know.

Question: Does anyone have a working link for any NES emulator core? For the life of me I can't get any to work. I even got NeoGeo working.
I already tried with the nightlies but... nothing. As soon as I try to open Kirby's rom, the app crashes and it displays an error... C2-12828-1
I tried with .zip and .nes

Taruranto

I update my 3DS CFW, so, given the recent news, it looks like there is really no reason to update to HENKaku for me, I would just lose the ability to play PSP games.

Man, the Vita Homebrew scene has been so disappointing. :/

Question: Does anyone have a working link for any NES emulator core? For the life of me I can't get any to work. I even got NeoGeo working.
I already tried with the nightlies but... nothing. As soon as I try to open Kirby's rom, the app crashes and it displays an error... C2-12828-1
I tried with .zip and .nes

All the NES cores in retroarch Works for me (only tried super Mario bros 3, zelda, metroid, bouble double..

Playing Zelda a link to the past for the first time, jeez such a masterpiece cant believe this game was released lile 25 years ago :eek: looks and plays perfectly on the snes2500 core with that oled!

Chesskid1

Banned
the retroarch devs are now active in their thread on gbatemp. they are giving insight to development which i find interesting, so take a look if you want. they talk about ps1, n64, dynarec, etc.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarc...ightlies-included.437034/page-17#post-6610447

libretro said:
A big speedup to today's VBA Next nightly core thanks to the threaded rendering patches that NunaticAlumina has been pushing. Many games are catching up with gPSP's performance now. In some games, it's faster than gpSP right now with some games (like Sonic Advance 2, Kuru Kuru Kururin, etc.), other games might still be slower than gpSP though.

In terms of compatibility, VBA Next has gpSP beat, so it might be worthwhile to test both for each game and see which one works best.

so we have gPSP, VBA Next, and mgba all for henkak, running pretty great.

3 GBA emulators in active development for the vita. amazing.

the retroarch devs are now active in their thread on gbatemp. they are giving insight to development which i find interesting, so take a look if you want. they left in the past during their wii development cause everyone kept annoying them lol

http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarc...ightlies-included.437034/page-17#post-6610447

so we have gPSP, VBA Next, and mgba all for henkaku.

3 GBA emulators in active development for the vita. amazing.

GBA is the #2 best handheld for me after Vita itself. Beautiful. :')

How is mGBA coming along, I've kinda stopped following the nightlies once gpSP came about.

Chesskid1

Banned
How is mGBA coming along, I've kinda stopped following the nightlies once gpSP came about.

i've tried 3-5 popular games and most ran pretty well. random dips sometimes though, so basically you have to do your own testing to see if its okay to your standards. i would consider mario kart unplayable, while i'm playing minish cap right now and there are only a few dips and i'm pretty happy playing it.

it has improved a good amount in the past 2 weeks. i really like mGBA's interface. it's really easy to use compared to Retroarch. save states have been flawless and saving in games has been hit/miss, even when exiting properly.

Mgba doesn't seem to be getting vita updates as fast as some other emus, but my experience was also pretty positive. Firered is a mess though.

Athreous

According to r/vitahacks, coder Major_Tom has acheived write access to vs0 which should lead to some more promising development!

I wont pretend to understand the technicalities of what it means but according to the reddit post OP (not the coder himself) it could mean firmware downgraders and spoofers before long.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4yi5bw/write_access_to_vs0_achevied_expect_a_downgrader/

https://github.com/tomtomdu80/VitaRW

Downgrade/CFW/Spoof incomming! :D

Downgrade would be great, so I could install TN-V and finally play CC and VP on vita! :D

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was just about to post this, but I was distracted with the Wii U side of things :p

On the one hand, downgrading would be cool to be able to use PSP kexploits. On the other hand, spoofing the firmware version would be cool to access PSN. I wonder if there's a way to have everything. HENkaku seems like the middle point. Hopefully somebody figures out how to exploit the ePSP side of things with this stuff. It's really the only thing I'm missing from previous firmwares.

... besides, TheFloW has shut down any hopes of him releasing his 3.60 ePSP kexploit :(

Edit: Also, xyzz's writeup of the HENkaku exploit chain (up to the point that has been reverse-engineered). He's promising he'll publish more as the KotH challenge develops, but he also says that he'll outright spill the beans if things get too slow!

Can I buy a brand new vita and use this? Seems like a nice gba machine.

Depends on the firmware out of the box, but I'd say any brand new vita has been sitting on the shelf for months and would be on a firmware much lower than the 3.60 that's needed. 3.61 is the latest FW and came out a few days ago and I doubt that new vitas were manufactured and shipped in that time.

Question: what are the incentives to use a PSTV with this installed instead of the newest Raspberry Pi, besides being able to play Vita games?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Question: what are the incentives to use a PSTV with this installed instead of the newest Raspberry Pi, besides being able to play Vita games?

PS1 and PSP games too.

Otherwise the Raspberry Pi is probably better for "classic consoles" emulation at the moment.

Glix

Agreed. Should be rock solid on PSTV's wired connection though.

I dunno. With remote play, I get better performance from wireless on my vita and vitatv, then i do wired to vitatv. That device is a piece of shit.

I am an IT professional and I have done a shit ton of testing and troubleshooting as well, not just one random try.

Lime

I'm getting the e-80558325 error code when trying to transfer/activate my Vita via transferring a game from my PS3. I have already reset all my devices so I don't know what's going on.

Anyone else having the same problem? I'm wondering if it's a server issue on Sony's end, because I clearly have free devices.

IMACOMPUTA

I dunno. With remote play, I get better performance from wireless on my vita and vitatv, then i do wired to vitatv. That device is a piece of shit.

I am an IT professional and I have done a shit ton of testing and troubleshooting as well, not just one random try.
I'm also an IT professional and get flawless performance wired. That's weird!

Does anybody else have problems using USB to transfer content with Content Manager? I can only transfer with Wi-Fi, could it be a Windows 10 problem (since MS updated it recently)?

NeOak

Depends on the firmware out of the box, but I'd say any brand new vita has been sitting on the shelf for months and would be on a firmware much lower than the 3.60 that's needed. 3.61 is the latest FW and came out a few days ago and I doubt that new vitas were manufactured and shipped in that time.

That would imply Sony still manufactures Vitas.

:'(

I was just about to post this, but I was distracted with the Wii U side of things :p

On the one hand, downgrading would be cool to be able to use PSP kexploits. On the other hand, spoofing the firmware version would be cool to access PSN. I wonder if there's a way to have everything. HENkaku seems like the middle point. Hopefully somebody figures out how to exploit the ePSP side of things with this stuff. It's really the only thing I'm missing from previous firmwares.

... besides, TheFloW has shut down any hopes of him releasing his 3.60 ePSP kexploit :(

Edit: Also, xyzz's writeup of the HENkaku exploit chain (up to the point that has been reverse-engineered). He's promising he'll publish more as the KotH challenge develops, but he also says that he'll outright spill the beans if things get too slow!

damn son, today's been wild

Probably getting my hopes up too much, but I'm really hoping this new exploit leads to something like a9hl on the 3DS.

xclaw

I'm absolutely ecstatic that this may eventually turn the PSTV unto a solid unit w/dualshock 3 native support. Holding that unit back to 3.6 for now.

Make sure we post any support that is open to the devs.

Does anybody else have problems using USB to transfer content with Content Manager? I can only transfer with Wi-Fi, could it be a Windows 10 problem (since MS updated it recently)?
I have the same issues, it's like the Vita doesn't even realize it's connected (even though I can see it in the Device Manager). Haven't found a fix though.

Lime

I'm getting the e-80558325 error code when trying to transfer/activate my Vita via transferring a game from my PS3. I have already reset all my devices so I don't know what's going on.

Anyone else having the same problem? I'm wondering if it's a server issue on Sony's end, because I clearly have free devices.

I have the same issues, it's like the Vita doesn't even realize it's connected (even though I can see it in the Device Manager). Haven't found a fix though.

USB transfer is fine for me

Top Bottom