• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'll ask again, has anyone tried the mame2000 core of retroarch?
I would like to try it myself but my browser crashes everytime i go on henkaku.xyz :( any suggestion?

I update my 3DS CFW, so, given the recent news, it looks like there is really no reason to update to HENKaku for me, I would just lose the ability to play PSP games.

Man, the Vita Homebrew scene has been so disappointing. :/
Henkaku was released 20 days ago, we have an amazing amount of stuff compared to the time passed, developing takes time.

Question: what are the incentives to use a PSTV with this installed instead of the newest Raspberry Pi, besides being able to play Vita games?
As i said henkaku is only 20 days old so everything is still rough, for emulation rasperry pi is probably better for now, in the future things could change though.

I'll ask again, has anyone tried the mame2000 core of retroarch?
I would like to try it myself but my browser crashes everytime i go on henkaku.xyz :( any suggestion?

Henkaku was released 20 days ago, we have an amazing amount of stuff compared to the time passed, developing takes time.

As i said henkaku is only 20 days old so everything is still rough, for emulation rasperry pi is probably better for now, in the future things could change though.

Can't believe it's barely been 3 weeks, things coming out daily, new really exciting stuff with massive potential being worked on yet there's talk of the scene being 'dead'? I don't get it. Surely it's widely understood just how tough it is to come up with this stuff..

LewieP

I am properly amazed at the leaps and bounds the Vita homebrew scene has taken in the last few weeks.

If anyone who had developed or contributed to any of the stuff released in the time since Henkaku released, or even before that, happens to be looking at this thread, you have my gratitude.

Adryuu

I have a couple questions if you people don't mind. :)

I was thinking of selling my vita to get either a 3DS or a WiiU, but now I think I should try this instead and see where it goes.

Has anyone tried to uninstall everything Henkaku after trying it? Is it easy to wipe everything out and leave no trace? I assume, as this is a soft modification, it should leave no trace easily.

Also, how is emulation on it right now compared to Wii? On both systems there is Retroarch (without shader support) and some other standalone emulators, and supported emulators that work (near) full speed should be the same. Right?

Is it worth it right now to install psp mode homebrew via henkaku for the emulators that work less well in native vita compilations? For example: does any GBA on vita work better or the same as using the psp emus via vhbl?

I have a couple questions if you people don't mind. :)

I was thinking of selling my vita to get either a 3DS or a WiiU, but now I think I should try this instead and see where it goes.

Has anyone tried to uninstall everything Henkaku after trying it? Is it easy to wipe everything out and leave no trace? I assume, as this is a soft modification, it should leave no trace easily.

Also, how is emulation on it right now compared to Wii? On both systems there is Retroarch (without shader support) and some other standalone emulators, and supported emulators that work (near) full speed should be the same. Right?

Is it worth it right now to install psp mode homebrew via henkaku for the emulators that work less well in native vita compilations? For example: does any GBA on vita work better or the same as using the psp emus via vhbl?

Disabling the homebrew is literally as simple as rebooting the console. As for getting rid of the files, HENkaku installs an application called "molecular shell" that is pretty much a Vita file browser and FTP client. You can use that to delete the emulators, ROMs, etc. from your Vita.

I don't think HENkaku enables you to install PSP-level homebrew.

Adryuu

Can you delete then molecularshell as if it was any installed game? I assume you just delete the bubble and forget about it.

I've seen tutorials for how to install VHBL on 3.60 with henkaku, so it must be possible to do. It's the previous homebrew loader that run on the vita's psp mode, and I'm assuming here that it lets you run psp homebrew in the vita's psp emulator environment. I don't know if there's still some emulator that works better in this environment than natively on vita via henkaku.

Taruranto

Adryuu

I got another question... is there a way to pass content from a connected ps3 to a 3.60 vita?

I think I may want to purchase Axiom Verge before the sale ends and using it on vita plus ps4 would be a big factor in buying it or not.

Chesskid1

Banned
I got another question... is there a way to pass content from a connected ps3 to a 3.60 vita?

I think I may want to purchase Axiom Verge before the sale ends and using it on vita plus ps4 would be a big factor in buying it or not.

i have not done it myself but there's a qCMA trick people have been saying works

http://www.guidingtech.com/33939/transfer-games-hacked-ps-vita/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/...e_any_way_i_can_download_games_on_360/d6j5crq

this seems like a pretty big deal if you can still transfer new purchased vita games. anyone here done this?

also, to your other question, yes you can delete homebrew you install since they make regular vita bubbles. some stuff you have to manually delete i think, like any stuff you copied over like roms. i dunno if you can delete certain files later if you update past 3.60 though, probably not.

Adryuu

i have not done it myself but there's a qCMA trick people have been saying works

http://www.guidingtech.com/33939/transfer-games-hacked-ps-vita/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/...e_any_way_i_can_download_games_on_360/d6j5crq

also, to your other question, yes you can delete homebrew you install since they make regular vita bubbles. some stuff you have to manually delete i think, like any stuff you copied over like roms. i dunno if you can delete certain files later if you update past 3.60 though, probably not.

Thanks! It seems to be working still so I'm gonna try and install henkaku and then download some thing from ps3 to vita. If I make it work I'm gonna buy the shit out of Axiom Verge for sure!

Gotta try and see which homebrew runs The Minish Cap best, too!

Also I understand everything like roms and emulators goes to the memory card so, if I end up selling the vita, I would wipe it clean first via moleculeshell, ftp or whatever, or even format the memory card, I don't think it's more complicated than that. I'd sell it on 3.60 in case someone prefers it, updating should always be still possible in case whoever wants it.

Chesskid1

Banned
Gotta try and see which homebrew runs The Minish Cap best, too!

haha, im playing minish cap right now! about 8-10 hours in i'll say, using mGBA because the UI is the most user friendly, havent tried retroarch.

there is a bit of slowdown on certain graphical effects (like fog? overlays), but 95% of the time it runs perfectly.

next game i want to play is advance wars, but slows down too much in mGBA. i might wait a few months until mgba gets more optimized or figure out retroarch, i have plenty of other games to play so i'm in no rush.

Adryuu

Nice :) would you mind directing me to where the latest .vpk is? I followed the showcase link but there I only found an .velf

Will try on retroarch anyway but the gbatemp thread says it works at 30fps. :-/

edit: nevermind, the latest nightly comes in .vpk and I found some mirrors. :)

This is AMAZING news cause I always miss the needed games to run homebrew.I have already installed it and got it working with all the games I've tried so far!

Now I don't have to carry around a 3ds and Vita for my gaming and emulator needs.Anyone know how or if I can get PSP games running?

E-flux

Does anybody know where do i put the snes roms when i have downloaded and installed the emulator? I dropped the roms into the Data folder where the apk installed itself but the roms aren't showing up and there was no readme in the emu.

Edit: fucked something up myself, roms are showing up now.

Not mentioning the game or where to get it but the first retail game is now available for pirates :/

no confirmation it's not just another developer build, this time Tokyo Xanadu. Additionally, the dumper said they can only dump carts requiring 3.60 and below, so anything new should be safe from piracy, if that's what this is...

which i doubt.

Could just have read the wololo article, y'know.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Actually the real bomb is vita backups working on henkaku...

It was a joke. No fun allowed, I guess.

But, truth be told, from a homebrew perspective, RetroArch Vita getting the Lakka interface is a much more interesting piece of news. So far these "backups" are just plain ol' piracy, really, no matter how people call them.

Athreous

It was a joke. No fun allowed, I guess.

But, truth be told, from a homebrew perspective, RetroArch Vita getting the Lakka interface is a much more interesting piece of news. So far these "backups" are just plain ol' piracy, really, no matter how people call them.

no no, I'm joking too! :D

everything from now on will be great bombs to the Vita scene! :D

and yeah, retroarch old UI is horrible xD

Redhood

Managed to dump Project Diva f files. Working on a lyrics translation now. Oh and made a patch to prevent watermarks also. No pictures here.
29032554112_2fdc0c152c_b.jpg

28519368723_0a57c7e68a_b.jpg

Shaneus

I honestly hope this microSD adapter pans out, because Hankaku with Retroarch on PS Vita/PS TV and a big, cheap memory card would be the bomb:
http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/wip-psvita-microsd-to-vita-memory-adapter.41972/
I knew something would happen like this.

yifan seems pretty pessimistic about it, given there's DRM on the memory, and that adapter POC is basically just changing around the order of the pins.
Noooo :(

Varth

So, Retroarch noob here. Wondering how I can play Alien VS Predator CPS-2 if MAME is still not supported, and if roms I use for MAME on PC are good for RA on Vita too.

Will try to install ASAP.

Thx.

I think getting a 3DS seems like a good idea. I might get one, though I want to wait for the NX announcement first.

Either way, I think it's a bad idea to sell your Vita. You won't get much money for it, and you can keep it around for emulators, or if you want to replay some gem later on. It also has probably some good games you haven't played yet still. It's a nice option to have, should you choose to use it. I definitely don't think it's worth the small amount of money that someone would pay for it.

Tailzo

Any update the last few days on what's the best cores for gba, snes and other emulators in retroarch? I am satisfied with Genesis, but snes and gba is still not quite perfect from what I've seen :)

Top Bottom