• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Chesskid1

Banned
retroarch progress updates.

8QU1cR8.jpg

frangarcj is making a lot of progress with hardware accelerated menu drivers, as can be seen in the screenshot.

Nightly-related news:
* A committer called xperia64 pushed a patch which might fix the Super Mario RPG levelup lockup problems with Snes9x 2005.
* Another committer NunaticAlumina sent a patch which should make VBA Next threaded rendering a bit faster.

Some other stuff which is not yet meant for Vita but might be in the future -
* We are working on an EasyRPG libretro core. This could later also appear in RetroArch Vita. It's not yet a priority for Vita though.

moonlight aka nvidia game stream for vita has been updated with mouse/r1/r2/etc support

https://github.com/xyzz/vita-moonlight/releases/tag/vita-alpha3

Any update the last few days on what's the best cores for gba, snes and other emulators in retroarch? I am satisfied with Genesis, but snes and gba is still not quite perfect from what I've seen :)

i believe 2005 is the best SNES, but 2002 is a good alternative as well. i've been using mGBA, but i've heard gpsp and VBA next have made great progress, so it's worth checking those out as well. right now you have to experiment and test out things to see what performs best.

i avoided retroarch because i hate the UI, but i'm definitely hopping in when we get the XMB style one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've just checked the current firmware of our Vita and it's 3.60. What a result.

I'm going to install this.

Adryuu

I think getting a 3DS seems like a good idea. I might get one, though I want to wait for the NX announcement first.

Either way, I think it's a bad idea to sell your Vita. You won't get much money for it, and you can keep it around for emulators, or if you want to replay some gem later on. It also has probably some good games you haven't played yet still. It's a nice option to have, should you choose to use it. I definitely don't think it's worth the small amount of money that someone would pay for it.

Nah I've played most if not all that interests me, apart from some indies coming which are/will be in many platforms more. But I've been with the idea for a long time and for now I'm keeping it.
I've just started Axiom Verge and I'd like to use cross save with it, but I don't think it has that functionality (and I guess I couldn't even use it without accessing psn).
I've been tinkering with retro arch and it plays nice enough for me, mGBA too, so I'll use it for now.
Also I got my vita on release so on one hand I've enjoyed it enough already and on the other I payed big money for it compared to what I'd get selling it, you're right on that.

But even without shaders, emulation on the oled is really pretty nice!

Oh and waiting on nx too, if it came with 3ds' and Wii u's Zeldas I'd get one really soon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Now installed. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

animax

So, Retroarch noob here. Wondering how I can play Alien VS Predator CPS-2 if MAME is still not supported, and if roms I use for MAME on PC are good for RA on Vita too.

Will try to install ASAP.

Thx.

It should work with the CPS2 core of retroarch. You need the FBAlpha romset though (I think), not the MAME romset.

suikodan

Can't wait for the new UI in Retroarch.

What's the best way to update? Getting the latest VPK or I could use the "Online Updater" option inside Retroarch?

Glix

I'm trying to get Ravages of Apocalypse working on VitaQuake and its making me crazy

I patch the original quake on my pc, and then put the XMEN folder into the vita where it needs to be. Select it from Mod Switcher thing, and then boot. It boots!!! but then crashes :-(

Anyone have any luck?

I also tried just making a folder with the raw pak files and no patching and that behaves the same exact way

I can get half life to load me into a hallway but its not right at all and the assets are all wrong lol.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The ones labeled 8/23 don't have it unless I am doing something wrong.

Weird. Unless there has been a change of plans, that's what the official RA Twitter account said:

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/768011633797001216

its available but you have to manually enable it right now, people are troubleshooting here

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/...arch_is_getting_xmb_in_todays_vita_nightlies/

Ah, nice. I literally just finished doing everything I needed to do and will start tinkering with RA right now :)

Codiox

I hope we get ePSP support sometime. It's the only thing that holds me of a newer firmware. And I badly wanna play risk of rain or binding on isaac on my vita :(

Also I got my vita on release so on one hand I've enjoyed it enough already and on the other I payed big money for it compared to what I'd get selling it, you're right on that.

But even without shaders, emulation on the oled is really pretty nice!

Oh and waiting on nx too, if it came with 3ds' and Wii u's Zeldas I'd get one really soon.

Yeah it's really that selling Vita wont give you enough money no matter how much Vita is worth to you. It's small enough that you can probably just keep it and have the option, rather than an easily forgettable small amount of cash.

I'm waiting for the NX announcement due to likelihood of the NX potentially being a compelling handheld system.

If the NX is a compelling handheld, and it's backwards compatible, then I won't get a 3DS.
If it doesn't seem interesting to me, but it's a backwards compatible handheld still, then I'll just save money and get a 3DS at probably a cheaper price than today.

If the NX isn't a handheld, then I'll definitely get the 3DS, and the white Mario one that comes out next month at that!

Yeah it's really that selling Vita wont give you enough money no matter how much Vita is worth to you. It's small enough that you can probably just keep it and have the option, rather than an easily forgettable small amount of cash.

I'm waiting for the NX announcement due to likelihood of the NX potentially being a compelling handheld system.

If the NX is a compelling handheld, and it's backwards compatible, then I won't get a 3DS.
If it doesn't seem interesting to me, but it's a backwards compatible handheld still, then I'll just save money and get a 3DS at probably a cheaper price than today.

If the NX isn't a handheld, then I'll definitely get the 3DS, and the white Mario one that comes out next month at that!
The change that NX also is contains a portable device is 100%

Adryuu

I doubt that backcompat thing and I'd prefer with Wii u rather than 3ds but...

Are the same roms that work on mGBA supposed to work with gpsp on retro arch? Because mine is not recognizing them.

Any reason to update to today's nightlies apart from new ui? Any performance upgrades? I'm very happy already with what there is so far!

Hexen would be nice!! Hnnngg
And flashback, somebody needs to do a nice port, there's one even on ps2!

Glix

I doubt that backcompat thing and I'd prefer with Wii u rather than 3ds but...

Are the same roms that work on mGBA supposed to work with gpsp on retro arch? Because mine is not recognizing them.

Any reason to update to today's nightlies apart from new ui? Any performance upgrades? I'm very happy already with what there is so far!

Are they still zipped? Some of the emus want the roms zipped and others want unzipped.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
So hows N64 emulation with the new homebrew? I have played with latest version of DadelusX64 on PSP and I want to know if it has gotten any better since then.

Adryuu

Not zipped, .gba, and both pc and Wii ports of RA run them well. I'm thinking I may have put the wrong vpk or something, lol.

Anyway what's supposedly the best way to play gba on vita this moment? Specifically The Minish Cap.

Adryuu

So hows N64 emulation with the new homebrew? I have played with latest version of DadelusX64 on PSP and I want to know if it has gotten any better since then.

I think PSP had an advantage there over vita because of shared hardware. I wouldn't have high hopes of playing n64 on vita for now.

Varth

It should work with the CPS2 core of retroarch. You need the FBAlpha romset though (I think), not the MAME romset.

Thanks for the tip, Will download it asap to be safe. I just noticed I have to update exactly to 360 to do this anyway, and its a tad more complicated than I thought.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Retroarch supposed to have a main launcher/interface/menu of some sort? Cuz right now I have about 20 different Retroarch bubbles on my Vita.

thuway

Request to the community: Is it possible someone has created an OLED Vita Anti-Burn in Fixing App?

Something that just rapidly displays full screen flashes over and over like the ones on Android.

colors-android-app.png

It could remedy those of us with severe Mura effects to some extent.

Shaneus

Request to the community: Is it possible someone has created an OLED Vita Anti-Burn in Fixing App?

Something that just rapidly displays full screen flashes over and over like the ones on Android.

colors-android-app.png

It could remedy those of us with severe Mura effects to some extent.
There's probably a website that'll do that. Not that I'd know where to go, but it seems like it could be something easy enough to code in HTML.

I believe there is a way to get a permanent exploit going.

I'll have to get back to you if it works.
wat

Anywhere else we can read about it? Couldn't see anything on r/Vitahacks

Man, I feel dumb stupid trying to figure out how to add music to Hexen 2 lol

Anyone have a good explanation for someone who is unfamiliar with this?

VNZ

will hexen 2, quake and whatever next ever get hardware rendering?
If someone writes an OpenGL driver for Vita porting GLQuake should be easy... But that's a pretty big if (though GLQuake uses a small subset of OpenGL 1.0 so it's not a completely outrageous task.. Still if one wanted to port OGL a modern version would be more interesting – in which most of the old API is deprecated).

Top Bottom