• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

I want to update my vita so. I can use psn, my ps TV will stay on henkaku. But I'm playing trails of cold steel with the Japanese dub so I wanted to know if syncing my trophies etc would indicate to sony that I was playing a modified game or whatever.People have said sony haven't banned cfw ps3 accounts, only those people cheating but if they decided to (yes I'm paranoid), I don't want any red flags on my account. Thanks.

Adryuu

Anyone having issues with configuring and getting gpsp core in RA to work? I intend to play The Minish Cap but mGBA doesn't support overlays and, even worse, has occasional slowdowns into the low 50s or even 40s, and the sound gets weird sometimes... But gpsp core just won't load a rom for me, it just hangs on a white screen with the vita controller in port x message, and I've got to close the bubble. Using latest nightly available yesterday (23 or 24).

Also, are saves and/or savestates compatible between mGBA and gpsp? Extension is not the same but maybe the file structure is, has anybody tried?

For the rest, nes/snes/genesis emulation is already awesome with our without scanline overlay. Doom plays nice, too! But I can't get cps1/2 or neogeo to work either, maybe because of the rom sets but I don't have a way to know if mine are compatible. And what do I need to have to run nx engine in addition to the core?

Anyone having issues with configuring and getting gpsp core in RA to work? I intend to play The Minish Cap but mGBA doesn't support overlays and, even worse, has occasional slowdowns into the low 50s or even 40s, and the sound gets weird sometimes... But gpsp core just won't load a rom for me, it just hangs on a white screen with the vita controller in port x message, and I've got to close the bubble. Using latest nightly available yesterday (23 or 24).

Also, are saves and/or savestates compatible between mGBA and gpsp? Extension is not the same but maybe the file structure is, has anybody tried?

For the rest, nes/snes/genesis emulation is already awesome with our without scanline overlay. Doom plays nice, too! But I can't get cps1/2 or neogeo to work either, maybe because of the rom sets but I don't have a way to know if mine are compatible. And what do I need to have to run nx engine in addition to the core?

I'm pretty sure you need to dump a GBA BIOS into ux0:/data/retroarch/system (the directory might be a bit different) for gpSP to work. Not mandatory for mGBA IIRC.

Also, did you try VBA Next? That's another GBA core.

Adryuu

I have a dumped bios in the folder that supposedly hosts it, but it must be faulty I guess.

VBA Next runs worse than mGBA. It looks nice with overlays, but already in the festival segment it falls into the forties fps, with slowed down music and all.

My best option for now is mGBA until I figure out gpsp or someone helps me, but it would be kind of crappy if saves were not transferable afterwards.

Hey guys. Just a quick question.

I haven't turned my vita on in awhile but its on 3.60 but I see 3.61 is out. How do I go about blocking updates but still keep internet access? If that's even possible. Unfortunately I still have updates set to automatically download so I'm not sure what to do

Thanks guys :)

Gu4n

I haven't turned my vita on in awhile but its on 3.60 but I see 3.61 is out. How do I go about blocking updates but still keep internet access? If that's even possible. Unfortunately I still have updates set to automatically download so I'm not sure what to do

Turn off your Internet, disable the automatic downloads for updates and turn your Internet on again?

I want to update my vita so. I can use psn, my ps TV will stay on henkaku. But I'm playing trails of cold steel with the Japanese dub so I wanted to know if syncing my trophies etc would indicate to sony that I was playing a modified game or whatever.People have said sony haven't banned cfw ps3 accounts, only those people cheating but if they decided to (yes I'm paranoid), I don't want any red flags on my account. Thanks.
The only thing you should be worried about is missing out on some great voice acting.

Yeah Im getting concerned

I want to keep my henkaku options open but Vita games are going to start building up that Ill need PSN for

We will see. I can probably go physical for a few of them and get by fine

I don't think it will, because they are the original trophies, but it could tell something, like you were playing a japanese game with an EU account, etc. (Vita is single-player, and if the game doesn't have a physical release there's no way to do that), anyway I don't think this is the case, because there are no "backups" in vita, so no piracy yet.

In any case, if it doesn't bother you, you can "format" your memory card, that would remove the trophies I guess (I'm 100% not sure, but they have to be stored locally somehow).

Adryuu

Yeah Im getting concerned

I want to keep my henkaku options open but Vita games are going to start building up that Ill need PSN for

We will see. I can probably go physical for a few of them and get by fine

There's a trick (for now) that lets you download vita games from psn to a ps3 and transfer them to a vita on 3.60 (or earlier I suppose). I just did that this week with Axiom Verge, recently purchased in the last sale.

I think it's in the OP.

Harmony of Dissonance on gpSP glitches at the final boss (it doesn't appear), so it is unbeatable (for the
good/best endings at least
)

Glix

I tried Mother 3 in gpsp and it took a LONG time to load but eventually did. Try again and give it more time.

Glix

Dynarec for what

I am no expert, but what I have picked up from reading around the scene is that "dynarec" is what would allow people to code homebrew that can make calls to the GPU?

Allowing better emulation of things with polygons and stuff?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I am no expert, but what I have picked up from reading around the scene is that "dynarec" is what would allow people to code homebrew that can make calls to the GPU?

Allowing better emulation of things with polygons and stuff?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
No, it's allowing code to be generated at runtime. This is usually used for emulator CPU cores. Is it not already supported, though?

n0razi

Disconnect your router, turn off auto downloads on Vita, plug in router

Glix

It is already supported yes, a number of emulators (and perhaps homebrw games?) Already use it.

Thanks for the info guys.

I feel like I have seen a number of posts on reddit basically saying that to do hardware rendering they need dynarec. People asking about Quake 2, or N64 emulators, etc.

Aurizen

I spoke to the developer who made MGBA she's looking for people interested in helping with the development on Vita. Anyone interested should drop her a message on her forum.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wololo is confirming that piracy on the Vita is a (technical) reality:

http://wololo.net/2016/08/25/not-release-hackers-now-confirmed-ps-vita-piracy/

In short, several hackers have independently provided him with enough evidence and even different methods for dumping and running games. It's only a matter of time until we start seeing commercial games as VPKs floating around.

In those lines, let me remind you that nobody cares (or, at least, should care) whether you pirate games or not. That's up to you and your morals. Just don't openly talk about it here or post links to copyrighted content, and everyone will be happy and won't get banned ;)

Adryuu

My Vita has downloaded the update. How do I delete it?

Yo can try this:
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_tutorial-eliminar-las-actualizaciones-del-sistema-descargadas_2183577

It says delete the content on both folders on the image, inside ud0:, you can use molecular shell for that. Then reset the console (do it offline and/or be sure to deactivate automatic updates beforehand).

I did that and my vita is alive and kicking (henkicking).

I think it should be noted that ud0: is NOT (I think) your memory card, and those are system folders, so touch anything at your own risk, of course.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yo can try this:
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_tutorial-eliminar-las-actualizaciones-del-sistema-descargadas_2183577

It says delete the content on both folders on the image, inside ud0:, you can use molecular shell for that. Then reset the console (do it offline and/or be sure to deactivate automatic updates beforehand).

I think it should be noted that ud0: is NOT (I think) your memory card, and those are system folders, so touch anything at your own risk, of course.

Thanks.

Shaneus

Somebody has found a way to convert PSP games into installable PKG files for Vita, thus getting rid of the need to have a ePSP kernel exploit. Or so it seems.

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=409835#p409835
Well, that's it for me. Pretty much the clincher in getting me to stay on 3.36. Does that mean they have their own bubbles, too?

Also, does that also mean any emulators running in PSP mode can be installed as well?

I tried that Steam streaming to Vita stuff last night, it worked really well, even with the PC on wifi (802.11AC). I tried out Metal Gear Solid V and South Park: Stick of Truth. It seems to feel better than streaming from PS4 to Vita, not sure if it's the PS4's wifi quality or whatever.

I reckon I'll end up getting one of those L2/R2 grips to make things a bit easier to control.

Dwayne

Well, that's it for me. Pretty much the clincher in getting me to stay on 3.36. Does that mean they have their own bubbles, too?

Also, does that also mean any emulators running in PSP mode can be installed as well?

It only allows you to play games you already own digitally, but until now were unable to transfer to PSVita.

I would need help. I installed yabause retroarch to play Sega Saturn games on my vita but can't seem to download "cores" from the core updater. Has anyone able to load cores or were able to load a game and explain how you do it please?

Adryuu

Cores in retro arch are the different emulators and you have to manually install each of them in separate bubbles. Yabause, as far as I know, is just a proof of concept that mostly doesn't work, if at all.

Joey Ravn

Banned
1. The "anonymous Chinese hacker", for lack of a better name, has released a second decrypted game after Tokyo Xanadu. This time it's Odin Sphere. It's confirmed to be working as intended, so, yeah: Vita piracy is pretty much a real thing now.

2. Beware these VPKs. I understand that the temptation to "just try to see if it really works" can be quite strong, but pay attention to the source of the file. Someone created a VPK that, apparently, is LEGO Harry Potter, but it's actually a fake game that formats your memory card. Nothing permanent, but if you don't have have a backup of your games and can't transfer them via PS3, you're pretty much screwed.

Cores in retro arch are the different emulators and you have to manually install each of them in separate bubbles. Yabause, as far as I know, is just a proof of concept that mostly doesn't work, if at all.

I see, so yabause retroarch bubble is in fact the core, if I understand correctly? Is there any other retroarch emulators not working on the vita if it's the case?

Lime

I'd much rather have people devoted their time to PSP emulation of my non-PSN PSP/PSX games than spending time on the option to pirate games

Yo can try this:

Hi, thanks for putting this up.

I just cannot seem to access the ud0 directory via molecular shell (only 3 maps available). Should this be done directly by FTP client?

Mendrox

1. The "anonymous Chinese hacker", for lack of a better name, has released a second decrypted game after Tokyo Xanadu. This time it's Odin Sphere. It's confirmed to be working as intended, so, yeah: Vita piracy is pretty much a real thing now.

2. Beware these VPKs. I understand that the temptation to "just try to see if it really works" can be quite strong, but pay attention to the source of the file. Someone created a VPK that, apparently, is LEGO Harry Potter, but it's actually a fake game that formats your memory card. Nothing permanent, but if you don't have have a backup of your games and can't transfer them via PS3, you're pretty much screwed.

lol @ the second point - deserved!

I would need help. I installed yabause retroarch to play Sega Saturn games on my vita but can't seem to download "cores" from the core updater. Has anyone able to load cores or were able to load a game and explain how you do it please?

These is no way on gods green earth that Saturn anything is going to run on a vita.
Think of it more of a proof of concept.

Adryuu

I see, so yabause retroarch bubble is in fact the core, if I understand correctly? Is there any other retroarch emulators not working on the vita if it's the case?

Yes it is. This link is in the OP, it gets updated often:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-libretro-thread-ps-vita-edition-nightlies-included.437034/

Hi, thanks for putting this up.

I just cannot seem to access the ud0 directory via molecular shell (only 3 maps available). Should this be done directly by FTP client?

Maybe that's the memory card after all, I don't remember. Do you have it inserted? Vita or pstv? Maybe try updating henkaku (getting the exploit from the website again to get the latest version). You can try from ftp too, why not, I guess.

Hum, expected but a little disappointed. Why anyway create a proof of concept if anything from Sega Saturn can't run on it ?

I suppose because it's a core that already exists and works in other versions of retro arch and it was just there. You don't have to install each core anyway, just put the bubbles you will use.

Sakujou

Banned
i want to play trails of cold steel undub and my psp copy of trails of the sky on henkaku. is there a way to rip my psp copy and transfer it to vita?
is there a website which shows the progress of how far henkaku is right now?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
i want to play trails of cold steel undub and my psp copy of trails of the sky on henkaku. is there a way to rip my psp copy and transfer it to vita?
is there a website which shows the progress of how far henkaku is right now?

Do you own a PSP?

Put the UMD in the UMD drive.

Rip ISO.

Put on PSP2.

Done.

Top Bottom