• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Taruranto

1. The "anonymous Chinese hacker", for lack of a better name, has released a second decrypted game after Tokyo Xanadu. This time it's Odin Sphere. It's confirmed to be working as intended, so, yeah: Vita piracy is pretty much a real thing now.

Dang, I was they would have waited after CS2 release at least.

Such a shame :(

Would be perfect if it was just kept to homebrew

Yep, this is how the PSP home-brew scene died off. People just came to get pirated games, and leave. There was little interest in unofficial software.

I guess devs have abandoned Vita already, and don’t care.

The shame is that there are still delayed projects I’m waiting on. I hope they don’t get scared away by this.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, guys.

But if it's of any indication, don't write off Vita homebrew just yet. The Wii, 3DS and even the PSP scenes were littered with piracy almost from the get-go and yet they have grown to be extremely rich and prosperous. Yes, even the PSP: Davee (of recent HENkaku fame!) released the Infinity CFW for PSP a few months ago, bringing a permanent CFW to all PSPs (except for the GO).

Don't think that piracy will be the end of homebrew!

I would also love to play my PSP games on my Vita, especially if I can use patches. FFT with no slowdown!

Mitama

Do you own a PSP?

Put the UMD in the UMD drive.

Rip ISO.

Put on PSP2.

Done.

He's using Henkaku, so no PSP support yet.

I'd love to get Henkaku to play SNES on the Vita and Playstation TV, but no TN-X (best PSX compatibility, savestates, custom controls) so to me it's not worth it to upgrade. Hope they get PSX figured out sometime soon!

Lasdrub

Is there another host for the 3.6 firmware? Softpedia is not loading for me.

edit: Can be found via the hackinformer site in the OP. Not posting a direct link since I don't know what's hosted beyond the firmware.

edit 2: The firmware linked from that site is the wrong size, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Blam

Stimpack

I'm sorry to ask, and I'm sure it's probably asked fairly often, but what is the state of emulation as of now? Retroarch is working well? SNES/GBA emulation is okay?

Caim

I'm sorry to ask, and I'm sure it's probably asked fairly often, but what is the state of emulation as of now? Retroarch is working well? SNES/GBA emulation is okay?

I haven't tried the GBA core from Retroarch but I use whatever the latest nightly is for SNES and I use MGBA. Everything I've tried on it so far runs pretty smooth. MGBA is pretty solid, the only real issue I've had is that the music on FFV Advance is all messed up no matter what I try.

Foffy

Banned

Joey Ravn

Banned
FULL Vitamin video uploaded.

This is exactly what I want for my Wii U, since I have 15 physical games that I'm too lazy to swap every time I want to play. I have literally 1 physical game for Vita, MGS Collection, which I've already beaten and Platinumed... *shrugs*

Tarsul

which is the best snes emulator?

best case would be one where i could control the gamespeed by the stick or something. Also, if the saves were compatible with (good) other emulators would be perfect.

Still no PS1 emulation I see... The only thing I want really.

Psvita piracy sucks though :/ but that is the price you pay when homebrew comes :(

BigEmil

I seen alot of comments on the sites and YouTube most people are mostly eager for Vita piracy, this was mostly sought after all, homebrew less so for most

which is the best snes emulator?

best case would be one where i could control the gamespeed by the stick or something. Also, if the saves were compatible with (good) other emulators would be perfect.

The snes9x_2005 core in Retroarch performs incredibly well. I think you can bind hotkeys to changing game speed as well (will need some fiddling in Input settings), but I have no idea if you can do that on Vita (as in, the option is there IIRC, but it can crash or it just might be unable to speed stuff up at all).

edit: Saddening that piracy came so quickly, but at least we might get a Vita emulator now down the line. So there's that.

Sakujou

Banned
The true face of the #vitaisdead hate train

They just wanted it to die fast so they could have a PSP 2.0
vita was dead the moment sony made the memory cards fucking expensive. then there were no games(I mean first party games or good phyiscal releases) coming around after one year after launch. what do you expect?
its a wonder that vita has stayes relevant because of all those steam ports.
i bought this system to see awesome 1st party games, what i got was a poor support from sony.(no switchable accounts)
i love my vita, but now i can use it again thanks to some nice homebrew. i dont want to rebuy games digitally which i already own physically(i would love to play p3 and tits on my vita) so waiting for that one.
also looking forward to quake. could it be possible to have ps2 games on the vita? i mean, four buttons are missing but otherwise.. . the vita should be strong enough....?

also looking forward to quake. could it be possible to have ps2 games on the vita? i mean, four buttons are missing but otherwise.. . the vita should be strong enough....?

Not even remotely close. Even the rumored specs of the NX would probably not be enough. PS2 is a PITA to emulate because of some very awkward design decisions.

test_account

XP-39C²
For Vita piracy, it really wont matter much at this point in time, in my opinion. I cant really see there being a lot of people that actively buys Vita games now and suddently will stop doing that. I'm sure that there will be someone who does that, but i would guess that the amount is quite small. I cant really see that Vita hardware sales will spike a lot either to be honest.

vita was dead the moment sony made the memory cards fucking expensive. then there were no games(I mean first party games or good phyiscal releases) coming around after one year after launch. what do you expect?
its a wonder that vita has stayes relevant because of all those steam ports.
i bought this system to see awesome 1st party games, what i got was a poor support from sony.(no switchable accounts)
i love my vita, but now i can use it again thanks to some nice homebrew. i dont want to rebuy games digitally which i already own physically(i would love to play p3 and tits on my vita) so waiting for that one.
Nah, it really wasnt dead when the memory card prices were announced. An addition of $20 to $99 to the price didnt kill it. It was the whole package that played that role. The iPhone never had official support for extra internal storage and the prices for storage increase between the models is comparable, or maybe even higher, than the Vita, yet the iPhone is mega successful because of its overall package.

I'm not saying that the memory card prices didnt have some effect though, $99 in addition for 32GB is quite a bit afterall, but it was possible to go with a cheaper alternative (personally i went for 16GB at launch and that is what i still use). It was more a combination of price + price of memory cards and the game support it got (as you mentioned). Simply wasnt a very attractive product to the general public. The Vita also gets quite a few games from Japan as well by the way, that has also helped it stay relevant for such a long time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The killer app has finally arrived for Vita

2016082206079617.JPG

Oh yes. Minesweeper in full Vita rez glory.

Now all we need is PSP and PS1 support

And emulator optimizations

And I sure as hell wouldnt mind if someone got a hold of the Gamemaker Vita export module

There are quite a few fan made gamemaker games that I would love to have playable on my Vita

SirCrush

I tried to grab VitaSodoku but I get some an error message when I go to load it. Transferred, installed, everything fine, but an error before the game does anything. I'll screenshot if necessary but wanted to see if anyone else is running into this problem and if there's a known fix for it?

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah, i started collecting physical vita games in the past 6 months, probably bought about 50 games.

i would say all but 6-7 games were all bought from ebay or used. kinda hard to give vita devs money at this point, unless they are newish games. i'm sure digital games get nice sales though.

i always thought the pricing of handheld games (at least in the USA) are really fair and a good value, especially with GCU/Prime.

Now all we need is PSP and PS1 support

And emulator optimizations

And I sure as hell wouldnt mind if someone got a hold of the Gamemaker Vita export module

There are quite a few fan made gamemaker games that I would love to have playable on my Vita

Now that piracy is available, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Taruranto

Piracy has been available on 3DS for years, and yet the console has tons of emulators (well, as much as it can with its hardware). If anything the Homebrew scene is getting better by day.

Top Bottom