• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was finally able to install henkaku again so i immediately i installed mame 2k & 2k3 cores with a bunch of beat'em ups, of the few ones i tried only pretty soldier sailor moon works but runs really slowly :( at least it looks really "pretty" on the oled :D

I hope mame cores will be optimized soon and an amiga emulator will appear asap.

Lime

And now that I need to access the Sony website to get the 2-step code for my Henkaku Vita, the site is down

And I'm not getting any text messages either

Joey Ravn

Banned
Major_Tom is leaving the Vita scene. He's giving no reasons, but I have to assume that it's a mix of him going back to school on Monday and all the drama that seems to be always surrounding the scene.

He's one of the best. Hopefully he decides to come back at a later day, and passes his unreleased projects to others who can complete his hard work.

Edit: Also, third commercial game dumped and being distributed. It's The Binding of Isaac, this time by someone who claims to be part of Teem FreeK. Video proof here.

The other two were Tokyo Xanadu and Adventure Time. They are both on the Vita. This is all piracy.

it's still interesting. dumping games and better understanding of how vita views games is useful information for non-piracy applications. And, while I imagine we'll have other firmware spoofing opportunities, this may be a good solution for backing up games we own (given the very limited memory options) in a format that isn't a mess.
VitaPad has seen a nice update:
Client:

- Added Linux support (big thanks to nyorem).
- Added possibility to change controls binding by editing the XML file even during execution.

Server:

- Now the application uses a safe eboot.

General:

- Added mouse emulation through touchscreen (mouse movement) and retrotouch (mouse clicks).

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to manually update my Vita to firmware 3.6 using the guide noted in the OP, here:

http://wololo.net/2016/08/09/manually-update-ps-vita-firmware-3-60/

There's a section in it that asks me to download an XML file and do the following:
Important: This file is for the us version of the PS Vita. For other regions, you will need to update the xml and replace <region id=”us”> with <region id=”xx”> where “xx” is your region. You can do this with any text editor.
My Vita is a Japanese system. Can anyone tell me what the region ID is, is it JP? Thanks.

Lime

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to manually update my Vita to firmware 3.6 using the guide noted in the OP, here:

http://wololo.net/2016/08/09/manually-update-ps-vita-firmware-3-60/

There's a section in it that asks me to download an XML file and do the following:My Vita is a Japanese system. Can anyone tell me what the region ID is, is it JP? Thanks.

You can try around with it until you get the correct region. It'll just give you an error when trying to update in case it's the wrong region code.

I had to do that with mine where I used 'EU' but it didn't work for some reason and then I tried with 'UK' and apparently that worked

You can try around with it until you get the correct region. It'll just give you an error when trying to update in case it's the wrong region code.

I had to do that with mine where I used 'EU' but it didn't work for some reason and then I tried with 'UK' and apparently that worked
Thanks. First attempt worked, I used 'JP'. Woohoo. Just currently transferring the latest Retroarch nightly onto my Vita via Filezilla. Can't wait to try the SNES emulator on this and see how it compares to the one on my n3DS.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So i tried a good number of roms for mame 2k and 2k3, 2k is totally useless, nothing worked, on the other hand with 2k3 more or less half worked at 18-24 fps with the exception of kung fu master that run at 45 fps, most of the other roms simply didn't load with few ones that crashed.

It's true that everything was too slow, but man those games look awesome on the oled and the slowness let you appreciate good animations even more!

Can't wait for mame to be optimized(and for an amiga emulator)!

Woohoo, got the Retroarch SNES 2005 core running, played a bit of DKC 3. I have a few Vita homebrew noob questions:

- Is there any way to stretch the SNES emulator image so that it fills the whole screen? I can only seem to find a video setting that allows for PAL, NTSC or auto.

- Now that I've installed the SNES Retroarch core VPK, will it remain installed even if I switch the system off, or do I need to install it each time I turn the system on again after running the Henkaku installer?

- Has anyone been regularly using the offline installer? If so, how is it?

Thanks.

A few questions:

- What SNES core is everyone using? I beat Chrono Trigger using catsfc but it doesn't appear to be included in the latest retroarch nightlies

- Does loading save states work in any of the SNES cores yet? I can't get this to work.

whitehawk

Banned
How do I enable the XMB for retroarch? I downloadede the latest lightly but its still the old version.

edit: wtf now when i boot it up i just get a black screen, after it said controllers configured. even reinstalling the vpks did nothing. This was after i set it to xmb and restarted.

ss_lemonade

Has anyone here tried moonlight? I can't seem to get it to work here. I just get a cannot connect to server (null) error after keys are generated. Nvidia streaming/moonlight works fine by the way with my Shield

Woohoo, got the Retroarch SNES 2005 core running, played a bit of DKC 3. I have a few Vita homebrew noob questions:

- Is there any way to stretch the SNES emulator image so that it fills the whole screen? I can only seem to find a video setting that allows for PAL, NTSC or auto.

- Now that I've installed the SNES Retroarch core VPK, will it remain installed even if I switch the system off, or do I need to install it each time I turn the system on again after running the Henkaku installer?

Thanks.

- You are looking at the core specific options. You need to go to retroarch's main video settings option. When you start the application, go to Settings > Video and change Aspect Ratio Index to 16:9. You can also get here from the quick menu screen when in game by simply moving one menu back up (cross with my vita). Stretched looks bad though, not sure why you would want that.

- Your installed VPKs should persist but you need henkaku installed for them to run (if for instance you run out of battery)

Exciting in what way? Just wondering.

Can we just collectively agree not to do this passive aggressive "i bet you're a filthy pirate" shit in this thread? it just serves to spam up the thread with unrelated crap.

report to a mod if you think the post is inappropriate. otherwise ignore them. easy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can we just collectively agree not to do this passive aggressive "i bet you're a filthy pirate" shit in this thread? it just serves to spam up the thread with unrelated crap.

report to a mod if you think the post is inappropriate. otherwise ignore them. easy.
It was not a passive aggressive question and no one has called anyone a pirate, you're jumping to that conclusion. I can see why its being seen as that, but thats not what it is. Its not a case of being inappropriate either because there can be legit use for this as well, i have to know his/her answer first.

ss_lemonade

How do I enable the XMB for retroarch? I downloadede the latest lightly but its still the old version.

edit: wtf now when i boot it up i just get a black screen, after it said controllers configured. even reinstalling the vpks did nothing. This was after i set it to xmb and restarted.

I tried it just now and get the blue screen as well. Doesn't seem to be working (at least it loads. Don't try selecting null lol. I'm still not sure what that option is for. Even exists in the android port). What you can do is is open up the config file used by retroarch and change menu driver back to rgui. I did mine through ftp and a text editor.

/ux0:/data/retroarch/retroarch.cfg

menu_driver = "rgui"

Producer

I dont have much to do with henkaku at the moment. I just want to dump all my physical carts, the current emulation is still a ways off from the n3ds. I guess i can try out the P4G undub.

ss_lemonade

Has anyone here tried moonlight? I can't seem to get it to work here. I just get a cannot connect to server (null) error after keys are generated. Nvidia streaming/moonlight works fine by the way with my Shield

Nevermind, figured it out. My server.txt (and settings.txt) files were encoded wrong and so, moonlight couldn't parse them out properly.

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, guys. Some ground rules: distribution of pirated content and ways to acquired said content are not allowed on GAF. Never has, never will. Discussion of homebrew methods for dumping, decryption and installation of protected material is allowed. Just look at the 3DS or Wii U Homebrew topics. Or even this one, with how to get ROMs for emulator on the Vita.

Those are the baseline rules. Now, what any one person does with those tools is up to them. If you want to engage in copyright bypassing/piracy, do so, but don't share anything illegal here. Conversely, if you're staunchly anti-piracy and Vita game dumping, that's completely legit and respectable, but don't participate in those discussions if you're not interested in them. Proselytism sucks both ways ;)

Let's try to keep this topic clean, without anything illegal going on and no personal feuds between the two camps. Let's just inform, and let people decide what to do with that information :)

As for me... I really want an easy way to move my PSP library to my Vita again :p

Does Seiken Densetsu 3 run full speed on ANYTHING in the history of EVER? (other than superfami...)

It runs, plays and looks perfect on my N3DS with VC injection ;)

deim0s

I tried it just now and get the blue screen as well. Doesn't seem to be working (at least it loads. Don't try selecting null lol. I'm still not sure what that option is for. Even exists in the android port). What you can do is is open up the config file used by retroarch and change menu driver back to rgui. I did mine through ftp and a text editor.

/ux0:/data/retroarch/retroarch.cfg

menu_driver = "rgui"

Went into drivers and changes it to xmb, then got a blank screen, then i deleted the retroarch config - then im magically in xmb!

A few questions:

- What SNES core is everyone using? I beat Chrono Trigger using catsfc but it doesn't appear to be included in the latest retroarch nightlies

- Does loading save states work in any of the SNES cores yet? I can't get this to work.

Snes9x 2005

It does. Make sure you select a valid directory on the config and you correctly shutdown the emulator

I'm a retard. I just cannot get Hexen II to work. It just won't start. I used the original data1 directory...

Location of vpk is irrelevant, right?
So far I've put all vpk and additional files in the app-directory (works fine for quake and emulators).

Anybody any help?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
guys, it's been a month.

give it some time.

Jesus Christ how many days has this been a thing? Man.

That comment is as much regarding me being a moron as it is being frustrated with the priorities of hackers. I had what I wanted before I updated, but I figured this would end up being easier to use and it wouldn't take long. But so far the general consensus seems to be to avoid anything PSP related because they want to encourage Vita development.

- You are looking at the core specific options. You need to go to retroarch's main video settings option. When you start the application, go to Settings > Video and change Aspect Ratio Index to 16:9. You can also get here from the quick menu screen when in game by simply moving one menu back up (cross with my vita). Stretched looks bad though, not sure why you would want that.

- Your installed VPKs should persist but you need henkaku installed for them to run (if for instance you run out of battery)
Thanks for this. I know purists will say stretched looks bad, but I don't mind it. I like the picture to fill the screen for SNES games, I've been playing with a stretched screen on my n3DS too! Is there a way of saving the setting so I don't have to set it each time? When I closed and re-opened the core, it went back to 4:3.

So i tried a good number of roms for mame 2k and 2k3, 2k is totally useless, nothing worked, on the other hand with 2k3 more or less half worked at 18-24 fps with the exception of kung fu master that run at 45 fps, most of the other roms simply didn't load with few ones that crashed.

It's true that everything was too slow, but man those games look awesome on the oled and the slowness let you appreciate good animations even more!

Can't wait for mame to be optimized(and for an amiga emulator)!

Same. Just tried out Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Sogood.gif

Can't wait to get that running at proper speed.

Just dropping in to say that GBA games adapt better than I expected to the 16:9 stretch. I'm serious, with the Metroids especially there's very little difference. Castlevania HoD looked pretty bad though- then again that game's graphics are pretty bad overall.

Varth

Oof, just noticed that the only way to transfer files is to connect both the Vita and a PC to the same wifi network, right?

I don't have my 3g router with me, only the usb key connected to the PC, any way to setup this enviroment (win7)? Sorry if it's a dumb question, never really dabbled in stuff like that.

EDIT: just found this tutorial by Based

TUT
Simply, all that is needed is a PC with the files you want to transfer, for instance I will demonstrate with Rinnegatamante's VitaPad. Also, a cable to connect your vita to PC is also needed for offline/faster instances.

I will be using QCMA in this tutorial.

in your QCMA settings, you will need to have to know where your video folder is set to (could possibly use music or whatever, but i personally use video)
allow the showing of your file extensions (can be found in system settings, pretty easy to find)
----------------------------------
This is really simple.

-- Firstly, get your file, again in this case I am going to use the VitaPad VPK, and change the extension to .mp4.

-- Then, simply copy your file into the video folder set in QCMA settings.

-- Refresh QCMA database.

-- Open content manager on your vita -> copy content -> pc to vita system -> video (will open video app)

-- Here you will find your file which you changed the extension of. Mine is "VitaPad.mp4". Just copy that over.

-- *Open vitashell, go to ux0:video/*2 digit folder*/ and you will see your mp4 file.

-- *Hit triangle on the file and change to original file extension by renaming, so mine is now VitaPad.vpk. From there you can either install from the directory you're in, or if you're like me, move it to a homebrew folder.

I dont suppose anyone is working on 3.61 options

have a friend who unfortunately updated :/
don't think so. i'm sure there are some looking for security flaws but it seems like the people who have had the most success with finding them are taking a break with the henkaku release.

Shaneus

don't think so. i'm sure there are some looking for security flaws but it seems like the people who have had the most success with finding them are taking a break with the henkaku release.
Pretty much. If you ever think you want to "jailbreak" any device, the advice is to never update it to the latest version, regardless of what features you might miss out on. Happens with iOS devices, happens with consoles. We're getting a free "upgrade" to our devices essentially, can't go begging for support for a new version of something just because a handful of people didn't think ahead.

Top Bottom