• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Vita: Neogeo, CPS, SNES, nes works AMAZING

3DS: injection works great for everything up to GBA

So it's a tie on every front except GBA

I would say you have to choose in the tied systems on the screen. Vita Screen is leap and bounds better but 3ds has pixel perfect emulation

SURGEdude

I am wondering as the Vita clockspeed is quite low but the arch is more recent than the 3ds and for emulation, especially CPU speed is crucial. I don't know how much libretro optimizes for different arm architectures.

Certainly the low clockspeed isn't ideal for emulators since that's where the heavy lifting usually occurs. But the difference in power between the 3DS and the much more advanced ARM chip add in the higher clock and multicore and it shouldn't even be close. Though I suppose anything is possible if the code doesn't take advantage of the Cortex A9 properly.

I don't know much about the n3DS but I'd imagine that might be in the same ballpark owing to the maturity of emulators on that platform.

I've got both. In terms of RetroArch performance, they seem pretty equal to me, but I need to test it again since I haven't run it on my 3DS in a while.

The big difference really is that with the N3DS, you can "inject" ROMs for Game Boy, GBA, and SNES (barring special chip games) to run them off of Nintendo's emulators. Game Boy's a bit of a wash in this respect - Gambatte seems to run flawlessly on the Vita and is a very accurate emulator. GBA presently doesn't run well on the Vita - gpSP doesn't seem to work at all yet (and is an inaccurate emulator anyways) and mGBA's a bit on the slow side, which means that the 3DS is undeniably better for this. I haven't heard of any GBA games that don't run flawlessly on the 3DS's internal emulator, and there's a tool that's pretty easy to work with for getting the games set up.

As far as I know, the N3DS's SNES emulator has full, accurate compatibility with games that didn't utilize special chips (such as Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc). I think the process for getting them going is still a bit complicated, but it's very doable and just requires a bit of effort.

On the other hand, the Vita might be able to natively do PS1 and PSP in the future via HENkaku. N3DS does have a PSX emulator going on it via Retroarch, but it hasn't been updated in a while and I wouldn't expect much out of it.

Good stuff! Thanks for the report.

Has anyone upgraded firmware on their JP PSTV by USB key? I keep getting an error message, do I need a different 3.60 firmware file from JP region?

Edit: Figured it out.

Vita: Neogeo, CPS, SNES, nes works AMAZING

3DS: injection works great for everything up to GBA

So it's a tie on every front except GBA

I would say you have to choose in the tied systems on the screen. Vita Screen is leap and bounds better but 3ds has pixel perfect emulation

Punch-Out!! feels a frame or two more laggy to me on Vita than GBA.

No it would have been something else. Vita and 3DS don't update automatically. They throw a prompt to your face that you should but you can just decline. Only 3DS changes certain NAND files when it already downloaded the update.

nah i meant i did it, i updated it myself

even tho i haven't been playing a game on it for so long, i had no reason to update it

Uh. I don't want to derail the topic, but the 3DS doesn't automatically install the update. It can download it while it's in sleep mode, but ultimately you have to accept the update and install it with your consent.

See if anyone you know has a lower firmware 3DS to use as a secondary entry point. A9HL us well worth the effort.

sadly i don't, i will either wait for a newer method or won't bother at all

TheExodu5

Banned
Can I insert my 32GB memory card from NY old 3.61 system in my new 3.6 system assuming it's the same PSN account used for both? Or do I have to do a backup/restore?

HENkaku Release 5 now out. Fixes the apparent save corruption bug.

To install, turn off your Vita. If you already had it installed, open the molecularShell bubble and click on "Install". Let it update and you're done (it may take some tries).

If it's the first time you're installing HENkaku, open the Browser on your Vita and go to http://henkaku.xyz/. Click on OK when the window appears and HENkaku should install on its own. It may also take a few tries!

This info should be added to the OP, since many people ask how to update HENkaku whenever a new release is out.

Still encounter save file missing after sleep mode for sometime.

Lime

Can I insert my 32GB memory card from NY old 3.61 system in my new 3.6 system assuming it's the same PSN account used for both? Or do I have to do a backup/restore?

You can. Memorycards don't store any information about os versions.

Incorrect. If you move from higher firmware to a lower firmware, you are prompted to update the lower firmware system in order to use the memory card. That's why you need memcardswitcher, but that's only available in 3.60 through Henkaku

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmm yeah you're right. It prompted me to install 3.61.

So if I have another 4GB memory card I can install memcardswitcher and switch it out? Except I have a 1000 so won't I lose memcardswitcher and Henkaku as soon as I swap it out?

MUnited83

For you.
Regarding updating my Vita to 3.60 :

What do I put on the XML file as my region? I have a EU Vita, would "eu" suffice or i need to put the letters of the country I live in?

killatopak

Gold Member
So apparently Henkaku wouldn't be updating Vitashell when installed anymore. You have to manually update the Vita shell after this recent patch. Anybody know how?

ohlawd

do save states not work in snes9x? I'm back on the 4th build which fixed the previous problem I had with RA goofing up

So I dumped my copy of Ys. I'm assuming dumping a psplus game or a game from the pSN store that I've bought would be considered piracy, no?

Haven't done anything like that, but wanted to talk about how it would be looked at on here.

RalchAC

So Henkaku people is supposed to be able to connect to PSN, right? I've seen the SAO Vita game is available for sale at 5€ and I may get it. That series is a guilty pleasure of mine lol.

So I dumped my copy of Ys. I'm assuming dumping a psplus game or a he from the pSN that I've bought would be considered piracy, no?

Haven't done anything like that, but wanted to talk about how it would be looked at on here.

Well, dumping your own digital game shouldn't be a problem, I think. Dumping a PS+ game however... the line gets quite grey there, since you are supposed to only be able to play those games while you are subscribed. Wouldn't playing a PS+ game without paying the suscription be more or less the same as piracy?

Well, dumping your own digital game shouldn't be a problem, I think. Dumping a PS+ game however... the line gets quite grey there, since you are supposed to only be able to play those games while you are subscribed. Wouldn't playing a PS+ game without paying the suscription be more or less the same as piracy?

That's how I'm looking at it. I guess you could dump it and keep it till your PS plus expired and then you would have to delete them, but I don't think too many would.

Lime

Hmm yeah you're right. It prompted me to install 3.61.

So if I have another 4GB memory card I can install memcardswitcher and switch it out? Except I have a 1000 so won't I lose memcardswitcher and Henkaku as soon as I swap it out?

No idea. You can try or else use wololo forums to see if someone has a previous thread about it or ask about it.

So Henkaku people is supposed to be able to connect to PSN, right? I've seen the SAO Vita game is available for sale at 5€ and I may get it. That series is a guilty pleasure of mine lol.

yes connecting to PSN is possible at the moment

Is it possible to play Snatcher (SegaCD) on vita via henkaku?

Edit: yes it is and I'm doing it right now!

Yep, Snatcher runs great on Vita. Now let me know when you get the English Translation of Policenauts working on a Vita.

I have it working perfectly on my old PSP, but myself and a couple of people on Wololo.net could never get it to work on a Vita, using like every technique possible. BTW, I am still on 3.52 and running TN-V on the Vita I was trying this on.

Vuze

I fixed my GameStream error and can now stream to my Shield TV. Tried Moonlight Vita and it finally connects too!
Unfortunately it gets stuck at gs_start_app now or when the GET request goes through it only says "ret = 0x0" followed by my config. But it's not launching Steam :(

Anyone else ran into the issue?

E: Seems pairing has not finished due to a failed request. Re-paired and now it launches stuff on my PC and I can control it. No stream on the Vita though, I will keep looking.

E2: Got it working. Seems like it didn't want to stream 1080p, 720p60 was fine though! Pretty amazing, played some God Eater quests without any issues or perceived lag at all. Crap quality low light shots
Cr2-Zn9W8AA6pzD.jpg:orig
Cr2-ZrMWAAEUC_9.jpg:orig
Cr2-ZueW8AARmVn.jpg:orig

Anony

i'm thinking of upgrading my psv to the slim
if i get a new one, i should be getting one that's less than 3.6 fw right? 3.61 only came out a month plus a bit ago

i'm thinking of upgrading my psv to the slim
if i get a new one, i should be getting one that's less than 3.6 fw right? 3.61 only came out a month plus a bit ago

Yeah, but I wouldn't worry about getting on on 3.61. Unless you get unlucky buying used, I haven't heard of any shipping with 3.61 and most stores probably have loads of old stock. The one I got on Amazon two or three months ago came on 3.2 something.

Vita's unpopularity has a single upside I guess.

ohlawd

They work (save states) and save rams.

Make sure you properly close the emulator
eh, I choose a state slot, go down to Save State, and it resets the game automatically to the opening scene. loading the same state is as if I just booted the game

edit: okay what the fuck. it somehow started saving and loading properly

Shun

Trying to manually update from 3.57 to 3.60 and I keep getting two different error codes.

c0-10120-4

and an error that says that my vita is already on the latest firmware.

I tried following the steps, I just keep getting error codes and I just want to try homebrew already.

No idea what to do, googling and saw others have the issue but that didn't help.

Enojado

Trying to manually update from 3.57 to 3.60 and I keep getting two different error codes.

c0-10120-4

and an error that says that my vita is already on the latest firmware.

I tried following the steps, I just keep getting error codes and I just want to try homebrew already.

No idea what to do, googling and saw others have the issue but that didn't help.

I am having the same exact issue:(

Joey Ravn

Banned
Soo can I play my PS1/PSP games on this yet?

Games you got from the PSN? Yes.

ISOs? No.

Edit: Oh, shit. It seems the Chinese alternative dumper to Vitamin has been released on a Chinese forum! Pastebin here. In Chinese, though.

Link to the tool here.

GBATemp said:
  • can be extracted and decrypted games and patches (including cassette version and the digital version)
  • can be extracted patch alone (including cassette version and the digital version)
  • can be installed directly from the game folder
  • can decrypt and load the game comes sce_module
  • can automatically load ux0: plugins all plug-ins
  • preserve the original eboot to mai_moe / eboot_origin.bin
  • does not support grw game (with the patch file within the cassette)
  • does not support some of the rare self loading games (god of the sea or something)
  • If the game can not be normal operation of the solution (in two attempts) The eboot.bin replaced mai_moe / eboot_origin.bin Deletion two reserved sce_module / libc.suprx and sce_module / libfios2.suprx with _m of
  • This version does not support DLC likely be the next version (there may be the next version! Necessarily)
  • When installing the tool holder can choose to install from a file or pack their own small VPK (because the packaging too slow 2,333,333)
  • DUMP time please do not keep the lock screen so as not to fail DUMP
  • The tool for study and research use please delete download within 24 not for commercial use If any question is brought to bear commercial use!

As it stands at the moment, the greatest advantage it has over Vitamin is that it can dump updates from both physical and digital versions. Vitamin 1.2 (or 2.0?) is reported to be able to dump DLC, though.

killatopak

Gold Member
It would be awesome if Vitamin can have options like increase the default clockspeed of the game or remove the brightness limit of some games to conserve battery.

I fixed my GameStream error and can now stream to my Shield TV. Tried Moonlight Vita and it finally connects too!
Unfortunately it gets stuck at gs_start_app now or when the GET request goes through it only says "ret = 0x0" followed by my config. But it's not launching Steam :(

Anyone else ran into the issue?

E: Seems pairing has not finished due to a failed request. Re-paired and now it launches stuff on my PC and I can control it. No stream on the Vita though, I will keep looking.

E2: Got it working. Seems like it didn't want to stream 1080p, 720p60 was fine though! Pretty amazing, played some God Eater quests without any issues or perceived lag at all. Crap quality low light shots

what are you using to do this? I'm really interested

can you link me?

MUnited83

For you.
Anybody else with issues applying updates to Vitamin dumps? I dumped KZ M, the update fails when installing. When using the caetridge version that update installs fine.

killatopak

Gold Member
Anybody else with issues applying updates to Vitamin dumps? I dumped KZ M, the update fails when installing. When using the caetridge version that update installs fine.

I don't think it's possible to update a vita dump the normal way. You manually patch it by overwriting and pasting files into the game's folder just like how you would patch a translation.

Joey Ravn

Banned
TheFloW has just announced on Twitter that he's stopping development of Vitamin, since he's starting classes next Monday and MaiDump is very similar to it. He's trying to get in contact with the Chinese hacker to share the Vitamin source code, so he can implement DLC dumping into MaiDump as well :)

By his own admission, as it stands, MaiDump is better than Vitamin!

The update is encrypted, but the Vitamin dump isn't. That's why it's failing to install. I wonder if you can dump updates without installing them (after downloading them from the Live Area) and manually apply them to a Vitamin dump...

he said one method of doing the dump was better than his. you are kind of taking that comment out of context

he released vitamin 2.0 so good for him

MUnited83

For you.
TheFloW has just announced on Twitter that he's stopping development of Vitamin, since he's starting classes next Monday and MaiDump is very similar to it. He's trying to get in contact with the Chinese hacker to share the Vitamin source code, so he can implement DLC dumping into MaiDump as well :)

By his own admission, as it stands, MaiDump is better than Vitamin!

The update is encrypted, but the Vitamin dump isn't. That's why it's failing to install. I wonder if you can dump updates without installing them (after downloading them from the Live Area) and manually apply them to a Vitamin dump...

Dang it, that's kind of a bummer. The update adds the multiplayer bot mode which is the reason I wanted to dump it in the first place.

Joey Ravn

Banned
he said one method of doing the dump was better than his. you are kind of taking that comment out of context

he released vitamin 2.0 so good for him

I'm not... that's what he said:

He released Vitamin 2.0 after a bunch of assholes started insulting him for not releasing it. It's hardly a victory for anyone.

Vuze

in essence..

could i connect to my PC, use regular vita controls, then capture that display to stream it?
You are essentially streaming your PC to the Vita. You require a recent Nvidia GPU (not sure which generation they started supporting GameStream) and GeForce experience for starters. Enable GameStream/Shield there and then follow the instructions on the Moonlight release page.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone know if Steamworld Heist works on PSTV with the whitelist hack?

Does anyone know if Steamworld Heist works on PSTV with the whitelist hack?
I used the Whitelister that creates a bubble, and can be re-run from the bubble anytime. Steamworld heist is the only game I have that still didn't work on my PSTV.

It is fairly new though. Dev's might be patching it. I guess we need an updated Whitelist, but I haven't found one yet.

Top Bottom