• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Mendrox

ok,i am getting paranoid about the ban things,especially after i signed in using letest version of henkaku to buy a game+DLC.

and that thread in GBAtemp is giving me more worry,i know no one report for a ban but still.

how the ban happened on PS3? people getting account ban just for modifying their PS3 or they pirate the games on it?

There was a handful of bans on PS3 at the begining. Everything else was just bullshit spread by other people. I don't that Sony cares enough about the Vita, but you might never know. Just use another account in the future or just risk getting banned (your Vita, not your account).

Cool, now you can enjoy free games!

Please stop. You are annoying.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Are you sure that's the right way? I do it as you say but then when i run henkaku nothing changed, for example vitashell is 0.7 when the last version is 0.86.

Yes. Whenever HENkaku is unloaded (because you turned off your Vita) and you reinstall it, it checks for the latest version on the server. If it's outdated, it downloads the new version.

Make sure you're actually turning your Vita off by long-pressing the power button, not just putting it to sleep.

killatopak

Gold Member
So I have some digital games that come with English and japanese voices. Is there a way to remove some voices so I cam just use one and save some space?

Specifically talking about atelier games.

L.O.R.D

So I have some digital games that come with English and japanese voices. Is there a way to remove some voices so I cam just use one and save some space?

Specifically talking about atelier games.
Maybe if you enter the game folder you can see other languages audio files,AC 3 liberation has couple language videos and sounds,but i can't confirm if removing them will make the game work or not.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes. Whenever HENkaku is unloaded (because you turned off your Vita) and you reinstall it, it checks for the latest version on the server. If it's outdated, it downloads the new version.

Make sure you're actually turning your Vita off by long-pressing the power button, not just putting it to sleep.

I turn off vita but nothing.
If i uninstall henkaku and then reinstall will homebrew work or i have to reinstall them too?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I turn off vita but nothing.
If i uninstall henkaku and then reinstall will homebrew work or i have to reinstall them too?

You can't really"uninstall" HENkaku, since it doesn't make any permanent change to the system. But any emulator that requires it won't work until you restore HENkaku.

Cool, now you can enjoy free games!

I've been tempted to buy a 64GB card as I'm getting frustrated with deleting everything on my 8GB.

I just bought Trails of Cold Steel on the PS Store Sale and had to delete XCOM Enemy Unknown Plus for space.

Just because you use HENKaku doesn't make you a pirate. I only use it for RetroArch.

SURGEdude

So, noob question here:

I've upgraded one of my (2) PsVita to 3.60 and installed Henkaku succesfully, manged to run the Snes emu and having a blast.

The other PsVita in my posession is still on 3.50 and has ARK installed (with MajorTom's method).

I fear that upgrading my second Vita to 3.60 would render ARK unusable (due to the removal of the PSP emulator exploit in the 3.60 firmware "upgrade").

Anyone know for sure?

Don't update if you want to maintain ARK. It's been patched and so you will lose it if you move past 3.50.

Producer

TheFlow0 has teased christmas this weekend.

Hopefully this means 1.2. Uncharted is sitting on my psn waiting to be dumped to my PC

Nice, hopefully its a good update. I tried dumping Celceta with vitamin 1.00 and it froze my vita. Apparantly Ys Celceta was a dangerous game to dump/play :eek:

Seems provably false as people have played their own and others backups with no problems, backups may be broken but saying they're all broken simply isnt true.

We're still pretty early in the backup era and most people have not completely played through their games from beginning to end it seems not very provably false at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You mean a kernel exploit? Yeah, those are really easy to find... Especially after Sony patched all the publicly available ones :p

Not necessarily a kernel exploit. Just whatever is stopping you from actually booting the PSP emulator/sandbox. It's readily there for the OS to call and we already have a "kernel exploit" with this on the OS. Seems like the jump would be to check what calls the PSP sandbox did on an earlier firmware and then see if that's possible to do with whatever freedom this exploit already has.

Uthred

We're still pretty early in the backup era and most people have not completely played through their games from beginning to end it seems not very provably false at all.

The fact that anyone has played through their games from beginning to end means that "all games are broken" is provably false. Some? Sure. Most? I'll buy it. All? Nope. Also, not to question the veracity of an anonymous jpg, but 5 working syscalls seems unbelievably low, as in I literally do not believe it.

The fact that anyone has played through their games from beginning to end means that "all games are broken" is provably false. Some? Sure. Most? I'll buy it. All? Nope. Also, not to question the veracity of an anonymous jpg, but 5 working syscalls seems unbelievably low, as in I literally do not believe it.

This is bullshit

Sorry.

/shrug

I hardly have enough spare time to play through games once these days, so losing time spent to a corrupted save game isn't really a good option for me. I'm going to finish Deus Ex: Mankind Divided while I wait for someone to figure out why save games are self-destructing.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not necessarily a kernel exploit. Just whatever is stopping you from actually booting the PSP emulator/sandbox. It's readily there for the OS to call and we already have a "kernel exploit" with this on the OS. Seems like the jump would be to check what calls the PSP sandbox did on an earlier firmware and then see if that's possible to do with whatever freedom this exploit already has.

To use the ePSP emulator (like you need to use ARK or TNV) you need an ePSP kernel exploit. There's no way around it. HENkaku is a Vita kernel exploit, so it doesn't have access to the ePSP kernel. The same happens on Wii U, for example: the native kernel exploit for 5.5.1 doesn't have access to the vWii functions, although in this case, luckily, we do have a kernel exploit for the vWii.

Seriously, it's not as easy as you make it sound. Some devs allegedly have a kernel exploit ready for 3.60, but it's not being released. Until then, HENkaku will probably do no good for the ePSP scene. Unless, of course, someone finds a way to dump and decrypt PSP EBOOTs, like TheFloW did with Vita games. That way we could install unprotected PSP bubbles, like we now can do with Vita games. That would remove the need to have a kernel exploit to use the internal emulator :)

To use the ePSP emulator (like you need to use ARK or TNV) you need an ePSP kernel exploit. There's no way around it. HENkaku is a Vita kernel exploit, so it doesn't have access to the ePSP kernel. The same happens on Wii U, for example: the native kernel exploit for 5.5.1 doesn't have access to the vWii functions, although in this case, luckily, we do have a kernel exploit for the vWii.

Seriously, it's not as easy as you make it sound. Some devs allegedly have a kernel exploit ready for 3.60, but it's not being released. Until then, HENkaku will probably do no good for the ePSP scene. Unless, of course, someone finds a way to dump and decrypt PSP EBOOTs, like TheFloW did with Vita games. That way we could install unprotected PSP bubbles, like we now can do with Vita games. That would remove the need to have a kernel exploit to use the internal emulator :)
PSP mode stuff is also crippled by the fact most of the cooler things like custom bubbles are already fixed. You were able to make any PSP game a LiveArea application on up to 3.36 before it was patched.

Also, yeah, that shotgun dude probably knows nothing. Isolated issues don't mean bad dumps ffs.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ok i successfully uninstalled henkaku(=removing molecularshell bubble) and reinstalled it(obviously, but i would have liked the install button in the live area to work :\ )

Is anyone else getting a black screen with the gbSP emulator on RetroArch? I get it after loading a game and then it stays that way.
Also, I can't seem to find how to switch to side B in the NES emulator. I looked through the settings but I must have missed it.

Adryuu

Is anyone else getting a black screen with the gbSP emulator on RetroArch? I get it after loading a game and then it stays that way.
Also, I can't seem to find how to switch to side B in the NES emulator. I looked through the settings but I must have missed it.

I'm getting a white screen. Same bios and roms work in other emus or ports of gpsp. We are screwed, lol.

L.O.R.D

i am trying to dump my physical copy of assassin's creed chronicles trilogy,but when i start with the process,it always crash.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It actually has a vital feature. Auto turn off screen. No more burnt OLEDs

Ah, you're right. Since I have a 2000, I didn't even think about the burn-in :p Honestly, I just meant that in terms of "functionality", but I can totally see how the auto-turning off for the screen might be really important for some users.

SURGEdude

PSP for sure right now. If you get a Vita with old enough firmware you have some options though.

A PSTV is a great option for PSP. Since they stopped producing them a while back they should all be 3.36 or lower. They are dirt cheap too. I have one I use for PSP on 3.36, one for Henkaku, my OLED on current firmware, and my 2000 on Henkaku. Thinking I might snag another PSTV to run up to date before they all get snapped up. Nice to finally have a use for my Vita hoarding.

ZeroCDR

Yep, my Vita TV has Ark for Crisis Core, BBS and various other retail PSP games I own but never bought digitally.

I haven't tried Henkaku yet, I'm still on 3.60 on my OLED Vita, been waiting for a permanent hack. Does that email offline installer work really well? I don't mind activating it every time if it's painless, like the CFW on PSP.

SURGEdude

Yep, my Vita TV has Ark for Crisis Core, BBS and various other retail PSP games I own but never bought digitally.

I haven't tried Henkaku yet, I'm still on 3.60 on my OLED Vita, been waiting for a permanent hack. Does that email offline installer work really well? I don't mind activating it every time if it's painless, like the CFW on PSP.

Honestly don't think it's worth the time to do the offline method, unless access is an issue for you. The other bonus to doing the online method is automatic updating VitaShell every time you run it.

Honestly don't think it's worth the time to do the offline method, unless access is an issue for you. The other bonus to doing the online method is automatic updating VitaShell every time you run it.

Someone is eventually going to attack henkaku.xyz so it's smart to be prepared for when it's down and you need to activate offline.

SURGEdude

Ugh, the Vita TV is like $120 here in Norway. Pretty sure they went for half that price a while back. Guess I'll hit ebay.

Wow that's insane. I'd bite the bullet and import if eBay prices are similarly high.

Someone is eventually going to attack henkaku.xyz so it's smart to be prepared for when it's down and you need to activate offline.

Point taken. I'll do it when that happens. Before then the hassle and need to manually update VitaShell isn't worth the trouble for me.

heringer

I have a couple of questions:

1) My Vita downloaded the 3.61 firmware (still not installed). Is there any way for me to delete this firmware?
2) I have two memory cards, each one assigned to a different account. Do I need to update my system to switch the memory cards and accounts?

I've dabbled in homebrew any time I could in the past, but it's weird how paranoid I am when it's a "connected" console.

Top Bottom