• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

SURGEdude

I have a couple of questions:

1) My Vita downloaded the 3.61 firmware (still not installed). Is there any way for me to delete this firmware?
2) I have two memory cards, each one assigned to a different account. Do I need to update my system to switch the memory cards and accounts?

1. Yes.
2. I don't think so. Though I'm a single account user. You can connect to PSN if need be on 3.60 currently thanks to a patch.

Nobody has been banned but I'd personally avoid connecting to PSN more often than absolutely necessary.

I've dabbled in homebrew any time I could in the past, but it's weird how paranoid I am when it's a "connected" console.

If you want you can block PSN on your router or turn off wifi and use the offline installer. That way there is literally no way for Sony to "see" you.

heringer

1. Yes.
2. I don't think so. Though I'm a single account user. You can connect to PSN if need be on 3.60 currently thanks to a patch.

Nobody has been banned but I'd personally avoid connecting to PSN more often than absolutely necessary.

If you want you can block PSN on your router or turn off wifi and use the offline installer. That way there is literally no way for Sony to "see" you.

1. Can you tell me how, or point me to a place or something? :p
2. So you can even connect to the store on 3.60?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1. Can you tell me how, or point me to a place or something? :p
2. So you can even connect to the store on 3.60?

There is a setting you can disable for automatic update downloads. Not sure if that deletes a downloaded update. You can probably do it with Henkaku, and I think rebuilding the database will delete it.

CohWHafVUAAj4Es.jpg
Yo can I get a source for that wallpaper?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have a couple of questions:

1) My Vita downloaded the 3.61 firmware (still not installed). Is there any way for me to delete this firmware?
2) I have two memory cards, each one assigned to a different account. Do I need to update my system to switch the memory cards and accounts?

Sorry I can't be of any more help, because I haven't tried either method, but at least it's a good starting point:

1) https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4wyio9/my_vita_automatically_downloaded_the_361_system/

2) https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4zfohz/minitutorial_i_managed_to_retrieve_my_361_card/

Really tempted to do this. Anyone have any downsides? Bricking or banning, etc.?

No downsides. No risk of bricking, since it doesn't make any permanent changes to the system. No one has been banned so far, for what that's worth.

Really tempted to do this. Anyone have any downsides? Bricking or banning, etc.?
No bricking unless you really try to, and banning is yet to be seen. It is a kernel exploit and Sony could easily drop the banhammer at some point but I've used my account with it since it released with no issues.

Sakwoff

Currently using my ole Vita 1000 as a portable retroarch emulator machine, and goddamn if it isn't the best I've ever used.

I've used an Android tablet with an 8bitdo controller before for that purpose, and while the emulators on droid are (obviously) more advanced and you have way more options, the Vita's general form factor, portability and controls are what really makes it.

suikodan

Anyone know which SNES core in Retroarch supports the multitap? I have four DS4 connected to the PSTV but Retroarch will recognize only two.

Also, there doesn't seem to have an option for multitap in the core settings.

EDIT: Retroarch seem to detect only two controllers out of four.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wait I'm dumb.

What's the difference between Vitashell and Molecularshell? I thought they were the same thing but that description indicates they are different.

Edit: Yeah, they look like the same thing.

molecularShell was initially based on VitaShell. The initial release of the molecularShell bubble that is installed by HENkaku included its own implementation of molecularShell (the program itself), but has switched to VitaShell a few releases ago. So now you have a molecularShell bubble that can boot VitaShell and install HENkaku.

You can also install VitaShell as its own app so you don't have to wait until HENkaku is updated, if you want use some new feature of VitaShell.

Out of curiosity, does installing it mean that they have access to my PSN email and password?
I signed out of my PSN account completely since the newer versions can connect to PSN. I wonder what happens when you do decide to update the firmware, does it erase all the folders and files you've made or does that just sit hidden.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Out of curiosity, does installing it mean that they have access to my PSN email and password?

No. Of course not.

I signed out of my PSN account completely since the newer versions can connect to PSN. I wonder what happens when you do decide to update the firmware, does it erase all the folders and files you've made or does that just sit hidden.

Nothing gets erased in terms of folders and files. I still have my 3.52 ARK folder somewhere...

Now I can finally play my copy of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on my PSTV. That was one of the annoying PSP games which wasn't officially allowed to play on PSTV for some stupid reason.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Now I can finally play my copy of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on my PSTV. That was one of the annoying PSP games which wasn't officially allowed to play on PSTV for some stupid reason.
It's weird, that wasn't a game unlocked by the original whitelist hack for the US version...were they able to expand the list on the hack I guess? That would be cool even if there are still holdouts.

It's weird, that wasn't a game unlocked by the original whitelist hack for the US version...were they able to expand the list on the hack I guess? That would be cool even if there are still holdouts.

My copy of that game was from PSN and I never had a way of making it work on my old firmware PSTV and my new firmware PSTV naturally couldn't use the hack. So I never tried it with the original hack.

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn...just found out about this after updating to 3.61 last week. Looks like I need to find a new Vita. :(:(:(

How's latency and performance with SNES emulators?

Arizato

Damn...just found out about this after updating to 3.61 last week. Looks like I need to find a new Vita. :(:(:(

How's latency and performance with SNES emulators?

snes9x2005 runs great and has given me perfect performance on every game I've thrown at it so far. I've tried Super Mario World, Killer Instinct, Final Fight 3, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Shin Megami Tensei.

Anyone knows how to turn cartridges in the NES emulator? I can't find the option.
Also, anyone had any success with the gbSP one? I'm trying to play the original Metroid.

Joey Ravn

Banned
HENkaku Release 5 now out. Fixes the apparent save corruption bug.

To install, turn off your Vita. If you already had it installed, open the molecularShell bubble and click on "Install". Let it update and you're done (it may take some tries).

If it's the first time you're installing HENkaku, open the Browser on your Vita and go to http://henkaku.xyz/. Click on OK when the window appears and HENkaku should install on its own. It may also take a few tries!

This info should be added to the OP, since many people ask how to update HENkaku whenever a new release is out.

HENkaku Release 5 now out. Fixes the apparent save corruption bug.

To install, turn off your Vita. If you already had it installed, open the molecularShell bubble and click on "Install". Let it update and you're done (it may take some tries).

If it's the first time you're installing HENkaku, open the Browser on your Vita and go to http://henkaku.xyz/. Click on OK when the window appears and HENkaku should install on its own. It may also take a few tries!

This info should be added to the OP, since many people ask how to update HENkaku whenever a new release is out.
Thanks for this.

Just want to double-check: I installed Henkaku last week, and have since switched off my Vita. Do I just need to go into molecularShell or will it be okay to visit the site again. If it's the former, does it mean we no longer need an internet connection (outside of that e-mail trick)?

SURGEdude

Thanks for this.

Just want to double-check: I installed Henkaku last week, and have since switched off my Vita. Do I just need to go into molecularShell or will it be okay to visit the site again. If it's the former, does it mean we no longer need an internet connection (outside of that e-mail trick)?

Just pull up the molecularshell bubble and click install on the left side. It's a link directly to the site. Which saves you the admittedly minor hassle of manually going to the site or using a bookmark to get there.

As far as being online, yes you will need to have a wifi connection but you don't need to be connected to PSN. Of course as you pointed out there are ways to make it so you don't need to connect. I just prefer not going that route and having to manually update stuff since the pace of development vitashell is pretty fast right now.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thanks for this.

What SURGEdude said. Furthermore, you can update your offline installer to the latest version simply by running it again from its bubble. It will uninstall the old version and download the newest one by itself :)

Just pull up the molecularshell bubble and click install on the left side. It's a link directly to the site. Which saves you the admittedly minor hassle of manually going to the site or using a bookmark to get there.

As far as being online, yes you will need to have a wifi connection but you don't need to be connected to PSN. Of course as you pointed out there are ways to make it so you don't need to connect. I just prefer not going that route and having to manually update stuff since the pace of development vitashell is pretty fast right now.

What SURGEdude said. Furthermore, you can update your offline installer to the latest version simply by running it again from its bubble. It will uninstall the old version and download the newest one by itself :)
Thanks both.

c0de

Perhaps someone knows here?
In terms of performance, what would be better: New 3ds with RetroArch or a Vita? Is there any comparison about the two?

ohlawd

what is this saved core file succeeded shit I get when I try to use snes9x_2005. using 07/09 build. gotta keep trying 10 times just to have it work

and how do I exit a ROM properly (close ROM then emulator rather than swiping the bubble) while playing a game so the in-game saves actually work for next time?

DrNeroCF

what is this saved core file succeeded shit I get when I try to use snes9x_2005. using 07/09 build. gotta keep trying 10 times just to have it work

and how do I exit a ROM properly (close ROM then emulator rather than swiping the bubble) while playing a game so the in-game saves actually work for next time?

Try the build from the 4th, don't know what's up with the last few.

Tailzo

I thought I should share some recent GBA tests I've done.

First FFVI on GBA

VBA_next with Nightlies from yesterday
Lowest I saw during the intro, walking in the snow, 41.9 FPS, seems to have only minor visual bugs (some smoke cutting). Most of the time averaging around 50-56 FPS.

GBSP with Nightlies from yesterday
Didn't load the game, only said something about found Vita in controller port 1

Tailzo

Did you also get stuck on a black screen with gbSP?

Yes

I am also starting to think I should give up gba on vita. My new ds has a too recent firmware, and I do not have my DS lite with a GBA port anymore. Maybe I'll wait fro NX, and see if they plan a wide support of gba games.

edit: Well GBA itself isn't that important I guess. I am mostly playing genesis games (the same few I've played since childhood), but for a while I was hoping the Vita could emulate all my old classics :)

SURGEdude

In terms of performance, what would be better: New 3ds with RetroArch or a Vita? Is there any comparison about the two?

Vita I would assume. It's got a lot more hardware to work with. What systems are you looking at emulating? I'm sure people will be happy to share their experiences.

c0de

Vita I would assume. It's got a lot more hardware to work with. What systems are you looking at emulating? I'm sure people will be happy to share their experiences.

I am wondering as the Vita clockspeed is quite low but the arch is more recent than the 3ds and for emulation, especially CPU speed is crucial. I don't know how much libretro optimizes for different arm architectures.

Joey Ravn

Banned
happened to me with the 3DS, just updated out of the blue even tho I wasn't using it

Uh. I don't want to derail the topic, but the 3DS doesn't automatically install the update. It can download it while it's in sleep mode, but ultimately you have to accept the update and install it with your consent.

See if anyone you know has a lower firmware 3DS to use as a secondary entry point. A9HL us well worth the effort.

Mendrox

happened to me with the 3DS, just updated out of the blue even tho I wasn't using it

No it would have been something else. Vita and 3DS don't update automatically. They throw a prompt to your face that you should but you can just decline. Only 3DS changes certain NAND files when it already downloaded the update.

TheExodu5

Banned
Looking more into SNES emulation...too bad it doesn't seem to be full speed.

Honestly, now that I've tried John SNES on my S7 Edge...I think I may just stick with this. Besides slight input lag, it's the most perfect SNES emulation I've tried anywhere. Less frame skipping and audio skipping issues than even any PC emulator I've tried. Really impressive.

I've got both. In terms of RetroArch performance, they seem pretty equal to me, but I need to test it again since I haven't run it on my 3DS in a while.

The big difference really is that with the N3DS, you can "inject" ROMs for Game Boy, GBA, and SNES (barring special chip games) to run them off of Nintendo's emulators. Game Boy's a bit of a wash in this respect - Gambatte seems to run flawlessly on the Vita and is a very accurate emulator. GBA presently doesn't run well on the Vita - gpSP doesn't seem to work at all yet (and is an inaccurate emulator anyways) and mGBA's a bit on the slow side, which means that the 3DS is undeniably better for this. I haven't heard of any GBA games that don't run flawlessly on the 3DS's internal emulator, and there's a tool that's pretty easy to work with for getting the games set up.

As far as I know, the N3DS's SNES emulator has full, accurate compatibility with games that didn't utilize special chips (such as Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc). I think the process for getting them going is still a bit complicated, but it's very doable and just requires a bit of effort.

On the other hand, the Vita might be able to natively do PS1 and PSP in the future via HENkaku. N3DS does have a PSX emulator going on it via Retroarch, but it hasn't been updated in a while and I wouldn't expect much out of it.

c0de

I've got both. In terms of RetroArch performance, they seem pretty equal to me, but I need to test it again since I haven't run it on my 3DS in a while.

The big difference really is that with the N3DS, you can "inject" ROMs for Game Boy, GBA, and SNES (barring special chip games) to run them off of Nintendo's emulators. Game Boy's a bit of a wash in this respect - Gambatte seems to run flawlessly on the Vita and is a very accurate emulator. GBA presently doesn't run well on the Vita - gpSP doesn't seem to work at all yet (and is an inaccurate emulator anyways) and mGBA's a bit on the slow side, which means that the 3DS is undeniably better for this. I haven't heard of any GBA games that don't run flawlessly on the 3DS's internal emulator, and there's a tool that's pretty easy to work with for getting the games set up.

As far as I know, the N3DS's SNES emulator has full, accurate compatibility with games that didn't utilize special chips (such as Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc). I think the process for getting them going is still a bit complicated, but it's very doable and just requires a bit of effort.

On the other hand, the Vita might be able to natively do PS1 and PSP in the future via HENkaku. N3DS does have a PSX emulator going on it via Retroarch, but it hasn't been updated in a while and I wouldn't expect much out of it.

Ah, thank you very much.

Top Bottom