• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Shaneus

I'm not sure how it's prevalent here at all. The only time I remember illegal dumps being mentioned was when I did, and that was only to show dismay that some of my favourite indie titles for Vita had been dumped. No mention of where to find them or anything.

But sure, this thread is overrun with piracy talk. Just look at all the people in this thread who have been banned for discussing it!
there are none

Joey Ravn

Banned
Don't be so naive guys.

You're talking about a tiny minority using these for "legit" reasons.

I honestly don't know what you're trying to accomplish here. This tiny minority is who's talking about Vitamin and MaiDump for exactly those legit reasons here. No need to use sneer quotes here: overclocking your GPU to get better performance is a completely legit reason.

All you have done is derail the thread with an anti-piracy speech aimed at nobody in concrete, since piracy isn't being discussed here. So let me ask you something: what do you consider to be the "cool homebrew" that you were expecting and never got thanks to piracy?

Shizuka

All you have done is derail the thread with an anti-piracy speech aimed at nobody in concrete, since piracy isn't being discussed here.

While no links or tutorials were shared, piracy was indeed being discussed here. Sharing which games were being cracked as time went by is piracy discussion, even if no one here is doing it.

How do I do the "overclock gpu" thing, is it just something like "install this""? Would love to get less major slowdowns while playing dragons Crown or better fps at helldivers. My 2 favorit games on the system but both suffers from slowdowns..

Chesskid1

Banned
IA/VT english translation released
QjbxjY6.jpg

Ye20qO6.jpg

http://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-project-ia-vt-colorful.441374/

Latest update on Phantasy Star Nova Translation
Hello everyone! My name is AIDA, and I lead the teams who work on most of the PSO2 PC projects (The tool people use to install patches, the patches themselves, community support, etc etc etc). We're currently working on a PS:Nova English patch (have been since the moment Henkaku was announced!). We've got the CPK unpacked, and (after smashing our heads against a wall) have gotten it to successfully repack using a tool I'm not allowed to distribute (sorry, licenses are crazy!).

However, our main roadblock has been the files Nova uses. We're not familiar with these filetypes, and we couldn't find anyone on the net who was - Once we're able to edit these files (which we assume are the UI stuff, as a start), the translation can really take off!

Current status of Nova translation:

- Game dumped, modification possible ✔
- CPK file successfully repacked ✔
- Need to program/locate tools to work with the following formats (one of which will have the things we need):

.rmd files (DMR header)

A sample of the above files is available here: http://aida.moe/puush/SIKr.zip (Updated 9/15/2016)

Feel free to join our discord channel: https://discord.gg/C9Rx6Mz

Thanks for reading, and here's to more vita games being translated! o/

last time i looked at that thread (i think yesterday?) there were like 3 unknown file types they were trying to figure out, now there's 1.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/translating-ps-nova-we-need-your-help.441705/

seems someone is working on translating tales of innocence

http://imgur.com/a/i68HG

and moonlight (nvidia gamestream from PC to Vita) alpha 4 was released
New features in alpha 4:

• GUI
  • Control scheme remapping
  • Configurable front touchscreen buttons
  • Configurable back touchscreen deadzone
  • Option to disable power save
  • Default config (now in ux0:data/moonlight/moonlight.conf)
https://github.com/xyzz/vita-moonlight/releases/tag/vita-alpha4

Joey Ravn

Banned
While no links or tutorials were shared, piracy was indeed being discussed here. Sharing which games were being cracked as time went by is piracy discussion, even if no one here is doing it.

Piracy was never discussed beyond the technological advancements in the scene it required and its implications within it, as well as the impact it may have on the console's potential losses, which is completely fine by NeoGAF's rules (point D). And all of that was a necessary step towards having public methods for dumping and decrypting our own games. There have been more people complaining about how "piracy is destroying the development of homebrew!" than actual piracy-related discussion.

But, sure. If we're not trying to "be naive", then let's not talk about emulators, since, well, you know. What about translations and undubs? You need to bypass copy protection (i.e. dump them) to use them. HENkaku itself? A clear breach of Sony's intended use of the console. Etcetera. There is very little reason to paint the whole scene as "piracy first" when very clear and quick progress in "proper" homebrew has been shown since day one.

BigEmil

"Pretty big"? What? PSP piracy was "pretty big". It doesn't matter if there are "many" places dedicated to Vita piracy. It's a very small subset of homebrew users, which in turn is a very small subset of Vita users. Just to see it more clearly, /r/vitahacks has double the amount of subscribers of the piracy subreddit.

There's more widespread 3DS piracy than there will ever be Vita piracy. Don't overblow things. And it definitely isn't affecting the development of homebrew for Vita.
Yeah no that subreddit isn't the only one out of many and vita user base is much smaller 10 million users to 3ds what was is 60 million user base? The percentage of people using it for piracy is much higher on Vita than 3ds.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah no that subreddit isn't the only one out of many and vita user base is much smaller 10 million users to 3ds what was is 60 million user base? The percentage of people using it for piracy is much higher on Vita than 3ds.

You are assuming that all those 10 million Vita users (or at least a sizable amount) is on OFW 3.60, and therefore is able to use HENkaku, which is simply not true. Many have decided to stay on lower firmwares for ePSP exploits and, I have to guess, the vast majority have updated their consoles because they don't know better.

As for the warez sites, most of those I know about limit themselves to repost the same content they find in other sites, mainly Reddit. They are an echo chamber and share a lot of the same users. There's been just a couple of "official" Vita releases, while the 3DS dumping scene has been going on for years... And there have been many flashcarts for 3DS tha completely remove the need for a CFW or any kind of exploit, and which work with the latest firmware. Piracy on Vita is a subset of a subset. But I'd love to see the sources for your claims.

I really don't want this topic to continue being "homebrew is dead because of piracy!!!" and "piracy killed the Vita like it did the PSP!!". There's no point in arguing about this (mostly because it's false, but hey!), since there's no illegal content being distributed on GAF. If you want to engage on that kind of stuff, there are other, more welcoming places. And if you don't, that's great. You are in the right place for that.

Whoa whaaaaaat. Though it's not like IA/VT really needs a translation, you can absolutely stumble through the menus no problem, but that's pretty cool to see so quickly. Now I kind of regret not picking up more Vita games in Japan last year (but also I should hold my horses and wait for the actual translations first, probably--Taiko no Tatsujin V maybe?)

MUnited83

For you.

Nah, it won't ever be even remotely comparable actually.

PSVita had one single update version where it got effectively cracked. Piracy only came weeks after it after a new update was already released. There's no way to downgrade either.

3DS? There are so many attack vectors that can be used that isn't even funny. You can install CFW on several versions just by using CFW, or using downgrade proccess, or just buying a flashcart, etc etc. And to add to that, you can even directly pirate games from Nintendo's servers without needing to scrouge through the web. In addition to that, the 3DS still has a somewhat active userbase, while the vast majority of Vita owners have long moved on.

Don't be so naive guys.

You're talking about a tiny minority using these for "legit" reasons.

Well, start calling the pirates in this thread out or PM a mod post(er)s you think should be banned. Outside of that, I don't know what you're hoping to accomplish by whining about piracy. Yes, it sucks. Yes, there will be tons of people pirating games due to all this. There are still plenty of legit uses that I'll be thankful for once I can play Crisis Core on Vita.

RalchAC

Is the Vita fan translation using the already finished Innocence DS version as a base? It could speed up the process quite a bit.

You are assuming that all those 10 million Vita users (or at least a sizable amount) is on OFW 3.60, and therefore is able to use HENkaku, which is simply not true. Many have decided to stay on lower firmwares for ePSP exploits and, I have to guess, the vast majority have updated their consoles because they don't know better.

As for the warez sites, most of those I know about limit themselves to repost the same content they find in other sites, mainly Reddit. They are an echo chamber and share a lot of the same users. There's been just a couple of "official" Vita releases, while the 3DS dumping scene has been going on for years... And there have been many flashcarts for 3DS tha completely remove the need for a CFW or any kind of exploit, and which work with the latest firmware. Piracy on Vita is a subset of a subset. But I'd love to see the sources for your claims.

I really don't want this topic to continue being "homebrew is dead because of piracy!!!" and "piracy killed the Vita like it did the PSP!!". There's no point in arguing about this (mostly because it's false, but hey!), since there's no illegal content being distributed on GAF. If you want to engage on that kind of stuff, there are other, more welcoming places. And if you don't, that's great. You are in the right place for that.

I don't really think piracy / homebrew will take the world by storm in the short term. It's just to cumbersome for an average user, with all the stuff about having to set a FTP server, manually updating to 3.60 and all that.

PSP/DS became as widely pirated as they were because of how easy it was to use it in both of them. You could go to your neighborhood computer store and buy a R4 cart or get CFW installed for a bit of money.

Was waiting for something like this. It's so dumb how the vita forces you to backup an entire game if you want to just backup the save.

I've lost a bunch of saves (including my Rayman Origins one) because of this. Somehow my save was lost when I uninstalled the game because PS+ didn't kept it in the cloud. I was really pissed.

This is amazing.

Lime

I know I'm just repeating what everyone has said, but this exploit will be glorious once PSP games will be unlocked. I really need the non-PSN games like Jeanne d'Arc, Valkyrie Profile, Metal Gear Acid, and Star Ocean 2 on my Vita to make it complete.

killatopak

Gold Member
Just tested this myself.

YES. This will decrypt your original save games. I can dump my cart and use my original save files.

Great stuff! Gonna try the Ampethamine plugin to now.

wait wat. Oh boy. Now I can really use that blasted GPU OC. I have a 100 hour save in gundam extreme versus that I refuse to redo just for the oc before.

I know I'm just repeating what everyone has said, but this exploit will be glorious once PSP games will be unlocked. I really need the non-PSN games like Jeanne d'Arc, Valkyrie Profile, Metal Gear Acid, and Star Ocean 2 on my Vita to make it complete.

Jeanne d'Arc is on PSN. Just bought it a month ago to play while I was on vacation.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there any way to get a game music? I would like a way to listen to the super stardust delta main theme(the real in-game one, not the one on youtube) without running the game.

EGM92

Got a question hopefully someone might be able to help me out with. So I got my copy if Gundam Breaker 3 English from play Asia this week. It came with the day 1 DLC code, I know that I need a Singapore PSN account to claim it. Is there anything henkaku can do to allow me to claim it on my NA account?

Got a question hopefully someone might be able to help me out with. So I got my copy if Gundam Breaker 3 English from play Asia this week. It came with the day 1 DLC code, I know that I need a Singapore PSN account to claim it. Is there anything henkaku can do to allow me to claim it on my NA account?

You can now port DLC between regions however the site which tells you how is probably not allowed. I'll leave finding the method as an exercise for you.

Chesskid1

Banned
Phantasy Star Nova Updates from AIDA, a proof of concept, seems they can read/modify all the different files PS Nova uses now
I know it's been a bit, but we finally have a Proof of Concept screenshot for the PS: Nova translation! (Look in the bottom left). A special thanks to Nagato from the GBATemp community for their tremendous work for this project. Everything is in place! As long as nothing else breaks, you can look forward to "when" the Nova translation comes out, it's no longer an "if".

KBa3.png

Hey all - We (and by we, I mean Nagato) found a way to streamline the patching process - We were able to modify the title screen through using a very small CPK file. This means that, barring any issues we encounter, the english patch size will be very small, and will simply be "FTP this file over and play". \ o /

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/53ca9k/phantasy_star_nova_translation_confirmed_in/

buy your copy now for cheap! $15-$16 shipped off ebay for used copies!

Chesskid1

Banned
a translation team for kantai collection is coming together with a PoC posted

HshKzUP.jpg

never heard of this game to be honest, but nice to see translations coming together, teams forming, etc.

I would recommend in the strongest terms that you not sync trophies at this time until we find out what Sony plans on doing with accounts which are spoofing firmware 3.61 to access PSN, assuming it is even detectable.

If you're going to access PSN with a Henkaku Vita, you should probably create a dummy throwaway account for the time being until we know.

Vuze

I would recommend in the strongest terms that you not sync trophies at this time until we find out what Sony plans on doing with accounts which are spoofing firmware 3.61 to access PSN, assuming it is even detectable.

If you're going to access PSN with a Henkaku Vita, you should probably create a dummy throwaway account for the time being until we know.
I've been syncing thropies and accessing PSN with my account so I'll report if I ever get banned or whatever.
I got nothing besides the 14 day free trial PS+ games on my PSN account anyway haha.

RRockman

Banned
Phantasy Star Nova Updates from AIDA, a proof of concept, seems they can read/modify all the different files PS Nova uses now

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/53ca9k/phantasy_star_nova_translation_confirmed_in/

buy your copy now for cheap! $15-$16 shipped off ebay for used copies!

I brought mine as soon as I heard they were working on It. The last portable PSO game I played was Phantasy Star Zero. I'm so hyped!

Can one use the physical Vita copy to use this? I want to grab this ASAP and I hate the idea of ripping.

edit: screw it, bought. Super cheap and I've wanted this for awhile now.

Chesskid1

Banned
they released a preliminary patch for menus for PS Nova on that gbatemp thread, mainly as proof it works.

seems you can use your cart no problem, i'm not going to bother with just menus, but since two people asked there you go :)

Yudoken

My Vita is still on version 3.30 and I'm highly interested in playing psp games.
Actually I tried out in summer to get a custom bubble working but I failed at logging in in my e-mail accounts so I couldn't try the e-mail exploit out.
Whatver I did it didn't worked, I even registered new e-mail accounts just for this and followed instructions but with the same result.

I want to try that again but it's really frustrating...

Or should I just update to 3.60 and use HENKaku?

Honestly I'm mostly interested in playing my PSP games and using moonlight to stream steam to the vita.

Ogawa-san

Anyone tried overclocking with Freedom Wars?

I want to try it out, but I don't want to go through the process of dumping my PSN version and decrypting my save just to find out it wasn't worth it.

Top Bottom