• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah well Sanjay didn't really help much.

help us I mean, he helped their DL a lot.

By DYING.

Macattk15

valenti said:
The truth is, stomping ppl in non em is not as easy

Never said it was. Just saying I rather stomp people in EM than play the long drawn out non-EM games .... though with a premade I agree it is much more fun cause its higher stakes.

Haly

Holy shit at Immortal :lol :lol :lol

I remember they remade SK but I don't remember he was this ridiculous.

A 375 damage nuke stun for 120?
25% bonus exp and 30% bonus damage until you kill him?
On TOP of reincarnation and passive lifesteal?

The steamroller carry player's wet dream.

http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=16607698

Nothing like a race to kill the shrine. Their Wildsoul had Post Haste so while we were going for mid rax he TP'ed right into our base (they raxxed two lanes already). He should've went for the remaining rax and then gone back to defend (we would've fallen to Megas).

Witch and me (Behemoth) TP'ed back to deal with the Wildsoul. We had no damage but disabled him enough to allow Swift and Voodoo to win it for us.

Our shrine ended up half dead when we won. Wildsoul even had a token so even if we killed him he would've come right back. :lol

PasteyMF

Is the GAF clan still actively playing HoN? I haven't signed on in a long time and was wondering if you guys still do in house games.

The announcement of Dota 2 reminded me how awesome this game was with the right team. I hate playing with random people, so I'd be up for a good 'ol fashioned GAF hoe down.

Meeru

Banned
Well what i mean is..gaffers in sc2 tend to just ladder..barely any gaffers getting together to play. which is no problem at all.

In HoN though, if theres a gaffer online, 99% u can play with him

valenti said:
I thought you were gonna post the game you d/c :p

Lol, yeah man sorry about that. The power went out in my entire neighborhood, worst timing ever. I was doing horribly that game anyway. ;(

Swag

Been watching a lot of HoNcast games in order to improve my play, surprisingly a lot of these teams do so much early gank had some support players that were level 4 at the 9 minute mark.

Seeing that game is like Night and Day from what I'm used to playing / seeing :lol

mrbagdt

Sebulon3k said:
Been watching a lot of HoNcast games in order to improve my play, surprisingly a lot of these teams do so much early gank had some support players that were level 4 at the 9 minute mark.

Seeing that game is like Night and Day from what I'm used to playing / seeing :lol

yea, honcast is interesting and it certainly teaches you a lot about skillbuilds that work well and items that are useful. still, i dont think its good to try to copy the strats you see, esp the strats of support heroes because those teams are so much more organized than a normal pub that the things they do are way beyond what most groups are capable of. concepts such as letting your carrys farm the lane while the other hero just denies is something you see regularly in competitve games but not exactly the norm in public play.

to improve my game lately ive tried to follow some of the tips from this forum post: A Short Guide to Winning PuB Games

playing a bit more with carries (but not hard carries) and just trying to be smarter in general. having mixed success, but hey, thats the way it is.

Yeah I agree emulating the pros isn't the best strategy in pubs. Sometimes you just have to last-hit if your carry can't do anything right. Also if your teammates are being dumb and rushing in 1v5, feel free to abandon them.

I hate games where we're getting stomped and our carry insists that he can carry us late-game. "I'm a Scout with a 28 minute Runed Axe and no boots. Their Hag has Null Stone and Rampage has Shrunken Head, but we can still win guys!"

Also, Night Hounds who don't take Smoke Bomb before level 5. Teammate gets ganked, he stands there invis. "Smoke?" "Next level."

EDIT: reading that short guide to pubs.

"Ganks are well organized, although positioning of fights, and target priorities in fights are still sub-par. For example heroes target the Accursed who is burning blue, or Behemoths are scared to portal in and chain spell when the other team is clustered for fear of dying."

"Initiators are no longer afraid to initiate, and babysitters no longer steal kills."

Meteorain

I think I give up on this game.

I'm in some fucked up downward spiral of losing games and shitloads of PSR. I cannot even get out of it because all the lowbies think they know what they are doing. Thought maybe other GAF members in channel would like to talk and band together for a game, but doesn't look like anybody wants to talk.

Meeru

Banned
Meteorain said:
I think I give up on this game.

I'm in some fucked up downward spiral of losing games and shitloads of PSR. I cannot even get out of it because all the lowbies think they know what they are doing. Thought maybe other GAF members in channel would like to talk and band together for a game, but doesn't look like anybody wants to talk.
well, the main problem lies in the ward buying and courier upgrading. someone NEEDS to do that. the other problem is the good player going in and killing heroes at appropriate times.

Swag

Thanks for posting that guide, really interesting stuff in there.

As for Meteorain, I'm always in there and I always message the clan with something random. But no one ever responds so I assume no one is interested in talking.

Only people that respond to me are Valenti, Astroboy, and Powerslave :lol

Meteorain

The only people I manage to get a hold off are Nilay + Sanjay (due to skype), Valenti, Powerslave and occasionally Pillow. What user are you Seb? I get a bit confused when their username is not the same as their GAF name.

Swag

Meteorain said:
The only people I manage to get a hold off are Nilay + Sanjay (due to skype), Valenti, Powerslave and occasionally Pillow. What user are you Seb? I get a bit confused when their username is not the same as their GAF name.

SwagSurfin

Haly

Yeah I agree emulating the pros isn't the best strategy in pubs.
Agreed.

Sometimes I aim Dev's hook a little to the side, or at an angle, to catch them off guard when they try to veer away from their prediction of my hook's path.

Sadly they just keep on running straight forward.

There's quite a few strategy and tactics that assume your opponent isn't a raging moron, which is why it's important to remember to dumb down your play for low level pubs. Just pick a hard carry and farm for 20 minutes and win.

Haly

Sebulon3k said:
I'm sorry is your name a reference to the Halycon in WoW?
People have asked me this since my Dota days.

No :lol I mispelled halcyon during user creation.

And is your Avatar an Utena Avatar?
Yes it is, from the movie. Most beautiful scene in anime.

Swag

Flint Geometers images having the mini-stun passive is so idiotic.

Can achieve permastun with enough attack speed.

I was the Flint

Sebulon3k said:
Flint Geometers images having the mini-stun passive is so idiotic.

Can achieve permastun with enough attack speed.

I was the Flint

Its weird how some attack abilities transfer to illusions while others don't. I'm mostly just mad they took splash away from Kraken's illusions. Geometer's on Kraken was SO MUCH FUN.

blitz64

Haven't played in 2 months. I login and pick Madman. Only to realize his barrel roll no longer stuns. wtf??? major nerf there. I'm never playing madman again.

Well those were a couple of forgettable games last night. 4 GAFers playing with one noob = gg

First game it's a Keeper who buys boots to start and puts zero points in his eyes.

Second game it's a Scout who jungles the whole game for a Brutalizer and Steamboots. Then he refuses to concede even when their Dark Lady has Runed Axe, Shrunken Head, and Abyssal Skull.

Meeru

Banned
Ok meteor I looked at the game. You were fighting for creeps with pebbles. He has higher damage than you so why bother..instead you need to harass the arachna. As a range, you really need to just harass arachna to the point he is scared of even entering the creep area for exp. Yes, hes gonna attack back at you, but be agressive, put the fear in him..then when he even tries to get the last hit..punish him. And if he doesnt..well, hes underfarmed, underleveled, and worthless.

Support heroes, for the most part, do not get their money from creeps, but more from assists and the occasional hero kills. Yes, you can do the occasional spam nuke to get gold from a creep wave, but if you are creeping while there's a battle going on and you're not tping to the nearest tower so you can disable that carry hero, prepare for a throng of rage from your teammates.

Someone picked him right away in a no-stats AP and promptly disconnected. Apparently he's really good for spike damage, and his ult is global.

Not liking the creep skins with the patch. Makes things look weird. Also I seem to be getting a bunch of jaggies along the river, which cuts down on visibility.

Meteorain

Wahey starting to gain back PSR having started to play Pesti. He is such an awesome hero and Insanitarius is such an awesome item.

Top Bottom