• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Had a couple good games yesterday.

1. Pub stomp, 22 minute game, 16-0 hero kills for us. I was 3/0/10.

2. I played this game with the intent of losing: the other team was always ahead in hero kills, our Arma was terrible, and they pushed pretty well. They never Kongored though and didn't push hard enough when they got Genocides so we only lost the mid ranged rax. Our Madman got fat (they lacked hard carries with only Slither and a Swift who was using his spin late-game) and someone finally bought an eye to counter their shroud heroes. We raxxed their mid and kept up the pressure until we won. 68 minutes.

Kapura

Banned
So the whole ranged semicarry mid thing doesn't really work for me, so to pull myself up I've been playing ricer carries.18-1 madman, 5-1 Mali with an 30 min concede, 6-0 Swift with 15 minute concede, and 22-1 FA. It's gonna suck when i get out of the 1500 trash and I have to let other people who are better than me carry again. My KD went up like .04 from those four games alone.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I can't believe I got a 5 win streak last night while looped up on painkillers. Of course playing with kag and his bros will help that. :x

288033.jpg

288030.jpg

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/12/2/previews/78586/

Barring any last-minute issues, Heroes of Newerth 2.0 is scheduled to go live on or about December 13, 2010.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
  • Cash shop with skins.
  • Cash shop coins can be gained with kills, level up and assists alongside paying.
  • Improved match-making.
  • "Casual mode" (LoL mode) No gold loss on death, no exp loss on denies, faster exp gain at lower levels.
  • Better minimap (hero tooltip on minimap, attack/defend commands).
  • Map maker.

I guess the only thing I'm afraid of is that S2 will take the "sex sells" mantra too far, and keep giving us bearded old geezer heroes with sexy female skins.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Cash shop? *puke*

Edit: Ahh, you don't have to spend real money. That isn't as bad.

Edit2: That just means DotA 2 is going to have a cash shop.

Insured

Basically they're giving us ingame goals to work for, and another reason to play for the people who think it's all about PSR won/lost. Sure, the skins could be all instantly available for free and all that, but personally I don't mind this at all. They'll be able to win a few dollars out of it too, from the people who want stuff without grinding ingame for it.

What I like though, there is/will be nothing on the store that will affect gameplay in any way, other than if you get easily distracted by boobies. Or FABULOUS announcer voices.

blitz64

I wonder if casual mode will be end up like hardcore mode where no one ever plays it.

I'm interested in casual mode if it can reduce the average game time which I think it does. Can't wait.

Swag

I hope they show casual mode percentages same way they do for EM, also can someone explain to me what TMM is? Is it just matchmaking with your friends opposed to solo?

If Nome gets in here, can you answer this.

When you gonna let people buy Taunt :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I think CM will be played more than EM. Hell I'd be willing to give (no stats) CM a whirl if I wanted to try new heroes.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm most excited for TMM. I hate pubbing outside of the clan and I just want to press a few buttons to join a game, not pray to several divine figures that I don't get a game with a plant or intentional feeders.

Swag

Archie said:
I'm most excited for TMM. I hate pubbing outside of the clan and I just want to press a few buttons to join a game, not pray to several divine figures that I don't get a game with a plant or intentional feeders.

Started hosting my own games with Auto balance mode on, and checking stats / pings for BRs.

Jumped up 130 PSR :lol

Low PSR/KDR games are always eye-opening. Played last night with a 293 (32% wins). He wasn't great but the other team was worse and let him farm up as Puppet.

I guess CM is for those times when you don't want to concentrate on last-hitting as much. But why not just play EM?

Kapura

Banned
ha ha I'm lovin' that sand king model. As far as microtransactions go, I think S2 is doing the right thing in making them cosmetic only. More like Halo: Reach than Call of Duty. Shit's gonna be so cash.

Swag

Kapura said:
ha ha I'm lovin' that sand king model. As far as microtransactions go, I think S2 is doing the right thing in making them cosmetic only. More like Halo: Reach than Call of Duty. Shit's gonna be so cash.

Where are you seeing this?

PasteyMF

Nome, you guys need to make a good marketing push for this over the next week. I'd love to see the new mode wash over some of the negative stigma that surrounds the HoN community by making the game a little more accessible. You guys deserve a lot of credit for how much content you push out for a $30 game. It's something to be admired.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Coins are also doled out to the entire team if a carry goes 20-0.

Wanna play some MM in 10 days, val? :3

Meeru

Banned
Archie said:
Coins are also doled out to the entire team if a carry goes 20-0.

Wanna play some MM in 10 days, val? :3
yea sure. im just gonna mm once 2.0 hits. coins for everyone.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
- All Wards are now sold for 100g in stacks of 1

Now there are zero excuses for buying at least one rune ward at the beginning of the game.

Archie said:
- All Wards are now sold for 100g in stacks of 1

Now there are zero excuses for buying at least one rune ward at the beginning of the game.

I usually plop one at the rune spot nearest my lane, and then use the second one when that one expires. Too time-consuming to run to both spots at the start of a game.

One tip I picked up from watching some of those tourneys: placing a sight ward and revelation ward close to each other to gain sight of the other team's wards.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It's always a good idea to get two wards at the beginning. One for the rune and another to block the short lane from pulling.

Nome

PasteyMF said:
Nome, you guys need to make a good marketing push for this over the next week. I'd love to see the new mode wash over some of the negative stigma that surrounds the HoN community by making the game a little more accessible. You guys deserve a lot of credit for how much content you push out for a $30 game. It's something to be admired.

We are, actually. We dispatched S2Diva (Pu Liu) to go mingle with the reportin' crowd. He'll be coming back from San Fran from the media tour today. I'm kind of jealous TBH... I really wanted to be on Giant Bomb :lol

kagete

Oh wait, so when the patch for 2.0 hits matchmaking will be pretty much the only thing 95% of people will play? So PSR will be meaningless now since only arranged games and scrims will be played by people outside of matchmaking? Awwwwwwwwwwww man, and im so close to getting to 1900.

On the other hand, with everyone starting from 1500 team matchmaking psr again, i bet I can get in on a lot of stomps :O

Kapura

Banned
anybody played myrm yet? He seems somewhat more niche than the other two newest heroes. Also, pred counters him very hard, what with his laughing off of magic damage for 5 second periods.

Nome

kagete said:
Oh wait, so when the patch for 2.0 hits matchmaking will be pretty much the only thing 95% of people will play? So PSR will be meaningless now since only arranged games and scrims will be played by people outside of matchmaking? Awwwwwwwwwwww man, and im so close to getting to 1900.

On the other hand, with everyone starting from 1500 team matchmaking psr again, i bet I can get in on a lot of stomps :O

MMR will be based on your PSR :lol
Better get lowering that PSR! To clarify though, it won't be 1:1. Being an 1800 will probably make you 1600ish though.

Kapura said:
anybody played myrm yet? He seems somewhat more niche than the other two newest heroes. Also, pred counters him very hard, what with his laughing off of magic damage for 5 second periods.
He's niche, but he's also very flexible. I've seen both support caster and tanking-carry builds on him. I personally go HotBL, Shrunken Head, and Elder Parasite on him.

Swag

Kapura said:

Avoiding all AP games till people learn that the new hero is not "OP" but you just suck at handling him.

Played one game and my team fed him to hell and back, avoiding AP for a while

Kapura

Banned
skad and vlad on predator is so much fun. Just finished a game where by the end I was rocking Abyssal, Frostwolf, and Daemonic. Combined with some great AoE from my team, I tore through heroes like paper. I was able to out-man contest Maliken. Felt so good.

Waikis

Goddam it, I havent played this game for 2-3 months and my skill went back to 0. Also, how do you lane against casters as a carry during early game ? Everytime i try to get to the creeps, those assholes start unloading their skills on me.

Waikis said:
Goddam it, I havent played this game for 2-3 months and my skill went back to 0. Also, how do you lane against casters as a carry during early game ? Everytime i try to get to the creeps, those assholes start unloading their skills on me.
Everyone's getting better all the time, it's pretty brutal.

You've got two options: click on the enemy hero to aggro creeps onto you, so that you have an easier time last hitting, or you can play mind games with them by pretending to go for the creeps.

However, that sounds like your team just picked a bad lane, in which case you're just screwed.

Meeru

Banned
Ok..after playing myrmidon..I'm starting to dislike this hero..a lot. None of his skills do instant nuke damage..which makes hero killing in early game difficult. Magic carp does, but its a slowly hopping fish that takes quite some time to reach the target. The weeds is stupid...a dot spell? Why????

My proposition:
give his wave spell damage..take out the dot damage from the weeds. Magic carp can stay.

Meteorain

I have to say that Moraxus axe is possible as big a lie as KotL's nuke animation. That shit does not hit what it's showing it hits.

So many times I have seen the damn axe edges fly over someone not to register a hit. Just FU sometimes.

Swag

valenti said:
Ok..after playing myrmidon..I'm starting to dislike this hero..a lot. None of his skills do instant nuke damage..which makes hero killing in early game difficult. Magic carp does, but its a slowly hopping fish that takes quite some time to reach the target. The weeds is stupid...a dot spell? Why????

My proposition:
give his wave spell damage..take out the dot damage from the weeds. Magic carp can stay.

Your missing out on the synergy of his skills, the whole point of the slow magic carp is that it gives you time to either catch up to the target it's chasing, and also gives the person it's chasing time to react to the fish. It would be OP if it was instant considering the damage and the stun component attached to it.

Also the slow movement speed on the carp allows for easier placing of the weeds, and he would be RIDICULOUS bursty if the weeds was instant damage, iirc his wave reduces magic armor by 5? That's crazy.

Once Myrmidon hits level 6 he becomes a crazy killing machine with his skill synergy, I don't think I've seen a hero this crazy since original Flare Flint.

He doesn't really hit his full potential till around 7~8 depending on what skill build you go (1 2 3 2 1 4 2 1 ), but playing him as solo mid I never have any problems with harassing or ganking.

Giving his Wave damage would be a bad idea, the speed you travel at is so fast that it's nearly undodgable, compound that with the slow component, giving it damage would be over powered.

Meeru

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Your missing out on the synergy of his skills, the whole point of the slow magic carp is that it gives you time to either catch up to the target it's chasing, and also gives the person it's chasing time to react to the fish. It would be OP if it was instant considering the damage and the stun component attached to it.

Also the slow movement speed on the carp allows for easier placing of the weeds, and he would be RIDICULOUS bursty if the weeds was instant damage, iirc his wave reduces magic armor by 5? That's crazy.

Once Myrmidon hits level 6 he becomes a crazy killing machine with his skill synergy, I don't think I've seen a hero this crazy since original Flare Flint.

He doesn't really hit his full potential till around 7~8 depending on what skill build you go (1 2 3 2 1 4 2 1 ), but playing him as solo mid I never have any problems with harassing or ganking.

Giving his Wave damage would be a bad idea, the speed you travel at is so fast that it's nearly undodgable, compound that with the slow component, giving it damage would be over powered.
carp doesnt slow. it only stuns when the target decides to move upon impact.

ok gonna try him again

Swag

valenti said:
carp doesnt slow. it only stuns when the target decides to move upon impact.

ok gonna try him again

oh when I meant slow I didn't mean a direct slow, I meant the player having to either stop moving to stop the stun or getting stunned.

I'd definitely give him another try, also before you rush Orchid, I'd go Vanguard at least for defense. He's super squishy.

Top Bottom