• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Meeru

Banned
Come-on-S2-I-took-the-day-off-of-work-for-this-patch.jpg

Insured

I know it's pretty expected and I should be prepared for it, but seeing a date of nov 13 I somehow naturally expect the patch that day. But it obviously never is in european time ._. Oh well. Rather have a working patch tomorrow than a buggy rushed mess today, if there was still testing to be done till the very deadline :)

Would be kinda cool, if S2 thinks they can get patch x into release state at feb 25 and they are going to announce it weeks ahead... Make the announcement for wed 26 and release it "surprise early" that day instead? Would be probably less whining online at least!

Meeru

Banned
Its sad how there's more LoL players in the GAF community. How can people play that pile of crap. Rune items that increase your stats? lawl

LoL is free, and accessible for those who've never played DotA. I started as a total DotA noob with HoN and it took a long time for me to become not totally incompetent.

And it's almost guaranteed that there will be bugs. I don't think I've ever seen a near-perfect launch of anything.

Matchmaking tonight? I'll probably be on from 7:30-10:00pm PST.

Matchmaking not being out right now is the stupidest decision of all time. They could completely ignore all that other shit they put in here and I would be fine if team mm were enabled.

Meeru

Banned
I'm glad I'm working (just got called in) cuz this patch is balls without team matchmaking. Maliken should be hanged.

PasteyMF

I played a lot of casual mode with friends that don't play often. There were a lot more team fights in the game than normal and the new map facilitates that A TON. It was great fun and most everybody had a good time (except for one guy who didn't get his normal hero thanks to random). Casual mode gets an A in my book for what it tries to accomplish.

Swag

Does anyone know how many coins we're supposed to recieve on average from TMM?

I'm hoping its around 20-40 per game, otherwise it's going to take a long time to get some of those items. :lol

kagete

Archie said:
The first thing I'm grinding is a name change. I don't even like Iron Maiden that much. :|

I thought everyone got at least one namechange for free? or was that a stat reset?

Anyway, I logged in just to check the shop and everything looks mighty expensive. It's actually worse than Microsoft points in there. I wonder just how much grinding we'll have to do to get a skin.

I'm 200% busy right now but will hopefully have time to get back into playing starting tomorrow night. TMM better show up soon!

The UI changes will take some getting used to. At least I don't have to click on my teammates to see their builds anymore; just need a rollover.

Not really a fan of pinging the map and designating a target though. Often you're just pinging as an alert, not a call to attack. And "NEMESIS" is way overdone.

Styles

Lone_Prodigy said:
The UI changes will take some getting used to. At least I don't have to click on my teammates to see their builds anymore; just need a rollover.

Not really a fan of pinging the map and designating a target though. Often you're just pinging as an alert, not a call to attack. And "NEMESIS" is way overdone.

Yep, NEMESIS announcement is getting annoying now.

The amount of raging on the HoN forum is astounding.:lol "No TMM yet? Then I'll ragequit on HoN guys!" Basically sums up what I've read on there so far.

JRPereira

Whew. Finally able to sit down and chill after finishing up (don't worry, my portion of the work for MM is done, and everyone else is working on it this very moment). Been reading a chunk of the thread so far, haven't gotten through all of it.

I can probably answer at least a few questions relating to the patch if you guys are interested.

Meeru

Banned
Well only thing we want is tmm..notging else matters.

I suppose the reason why I want is because it feels like a ladder reset..more or less.

JRPereira

valenti said:
Well only thing we want is tmm..notging else matters

Yea, hopefully once it's ready for the test phases, things work out as well as they did in the internal and semi-private test stuff. If things go smoothly, it should be absolutely amazing.

Kapura

Banned
I want to know how the coin thing is gonna work out. Nobody has said exactly what kind of income we can be expecting game-to-game. I'd assume it's pretty low so people won't have everything in, like, a day, but it'd be nice to get some numbers so I can know if the Sand King skin will take me 5 games or 50.

kagete

JRPereira said:
Yea, hopefully once it's ready for the test phases, things work out as well as they did in the internal and semi-private test stuff. If things go smoothly, it should be absolutely amazing.

Is PSR dead? I only had 5 minutes to check the patch and shop and I noticed my MMR(?) was 1699 without me playing a single game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd still like to know how coins are awarded, what streaks or 'game goals" award them and so on.

JRPereira

Kapura said:
I want to know how the coin thing is gonna work out. Nobody has said exactly what kind of income we can be expecting game-to-game. I'd assume it's pretty low so people won't have everything in, like, a day, but it'd be nice to get some numbers so I can know if the Sand King skin will take me 5 games or 50.

I think it'll be pretty safe to say that given users' average rates of play, they'll be able to get items every while or so - even if they don't do particularly well in each match. Still is much faster to win though.

spermatic cord said:
If I had to guess it's gonna take more games for fake money than less.

A lot of time was spent considering the amount of games that might be required to earn a decent amount of coins (and the amount of grinding that people may do). I think we've chosen numbers that generally favor the majority of players' play times and it's my understanding that we're willing to accept players' willingness to grind hardcore for items - it'll keep more people playing longer, and that's good for things like the matchmaking system which benefits from high activity (far shorter queue times), etc.

kagete said:
Is PSR dead? I only had 5 minutes to check the patch and shop and I noticed my MMR(?) was 1699 without me playing a single game.

As far as I understand, PSR still has its place, and MMR will not simply start at 1500 for everyone. I'm not sure about the specifics.

Lyphen said:
I'd still like to know how coins are awarded, what streaks or 'game goals" award them and so on.

There's a bunch of ways to earn gold in a match/as you play subsequent matches and they're set up to give some nice rewards to the entire team in addition to the player who met the reward condition.

Lyphen said:
S2 trollface is amazing. :lol

Got a kick out of that first time I saw it. Hope nobody takes it too seriously though.

Any upcoming changes to Casual Mode? At first the idea seemed interesting in changing the way HON was going to be played but after playing a few matches it just feels like EM mode on steroids. The hero pool is basically limited to hard carries.

spermatic cord said:
Any upcoming changes to Casual Mode? At first the idea seemed interesting in changing the way HON was going to be played but after playing a few matches it just feels like EM mode on steroids. The hero pool is basically limited to hard carries.

I think the issue with CM (and EM) is that you can't make the entire metagame accessible to casual players so you have to take liberties with certain advanced concepts in the game (denying, for one). Unfortunately it skews hero selection toward late-game carries (just like EM did). Plus no one will ward/courier in casual games, will not feed kills to the carry, pull neutrals, etc.

JRPereira

We're aware of concerns about differences in hero viability in CM, but I don't have any information on what's been discussed nor what could be changed.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?p=12736995#post12736995

Hey guys,

Just an update - we're working hard on getting match making ready for retail deployment. We're gearing up here for a test of the system tonight (probably after midnight Eastern Standard Time), at which point we'll enable the match making button in your client and you can help us by queuing up and playing some games! We'll post more info as the time gets closer, as well as deliver a system-message in game when we're ready to test.

EDIT: Please understand, we're not picking a late time due to low activity, we're not actually "picking" that time, that's the earliest at which we think we'll be ready to test. We're almost there, there's just a tiny bit of work left in order to make the test as useful as possible to us (useful in terms of getting valuable data back from the servers so we can tweak the system to perfection)

Top Bottom