• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Onegun

Neo Member
Catch22? Ive noticed that when I dont buy wards as support people complain about it, but if I spend tons on wards they bitch about my lack of items. How much is too much to spend on wards in a given game. I tend to try to keep 2 on the runes and one floater. FYI Im still fairly noob at HoN even after playing off an on since beta.

bzm

Onegun said:
Catch22? Ive noticed that when I dont buy wards as support people complain about it, but if I spend tons on wards they bitch about my lack of items. How much is too much to spend on wards in a given game. I tend to try to keep 2 on the runes and one floater. FYI Im still fairly noob at HoN even after playing off an on since beta.
if youre on a hard support (glacius, vj, dsham, accursed, myrm, those kinda guys) then theres no such thing as too much wards. Map vision is WAY more important than any item your support would get anyway (unless its brutalizer on glacius, because thats just maximum baller).

Onegun said:
As many as is reasonably possible, normally two well placed wards are all you need at any one time--some counter wards if you're playing in the higher tiers or if you know the location of a ward for sure. Even while buying wards you should still have enough for boots/str bracers unless your team is getting rolled. Also, warding is an art not a science, don't just mindlessly plop wards down, think about their location and the role they serve.

Also, don't listen to 99% of the negative comments of anyone in game, most of the hon community is filled with trashy players who don't know how to actually play. Specifically don't listen to anyone below 1700 smr, it's like playing the lottery.

Oh and general wards per game if im playing try hard support is probably about 3k gold. A lot of that gold goes toward counter wards.

IceMarker

Finally crashed in my bed after playing for 11 straight hours, just woke up, I'm committed as hell to getting good at this game.

EDIT: Every single Alt Avatar is 25% until Thursday, April 14 at 3pm EST!... I only have enough for the two texture swap only Alts... Naughty Succubus is mine!

Neckbeard

Onegun said:

Your items shouldn't be much if you're playing a true support hero like glacius or empath. If you're playing a semi-support, or something like soul reaper or myrmidon, you should have help warding from your teammates. If they don't help, then the joke's on them.

Anyway, it sounds like you're not actually utilizing the wards. Wards' sole intention isn't to see runes. That's an important aspect of warding, but the main purpose of a ward is to prevent yourself and your team from being caught out of position. Just keep an eye on the minimap, and always have an idea where your opponents are. If there are 0 opponents on the minimap, get back to a tower and quit farming.

As a "warding" hero, you're much more likely to get ganked, as you'll be an easier target with lower hp and less-superior items than your teammates, so these ideas ring a bit more true than for others.

IceMarker

Electrician can suck my balls, not because I suck against him, but because I have never in the longest of times, lost a game whilst feeling so demoralized because I couldn't farm in the laning phase on double melee and because late game I couldn't do a thing to help my teammates as him. It's one of those games where I actually care that I lost and let me tell you I haven't had this feeling of depression in a long LONG time.

The sad part is no one will ever understand what I'm talking about because I'm the only noob left on here. That last match I had with Procarbine reminded me of what I thought to myself before playing HoN, that I hated DotA in all it's forms, from its community to the gameplay mechanics, I've played these past two weeks in hopes that I'd be addicted to it, and I have, but games like the one I just had reminds me why addiction is a bad thing.

I need a fucking cigarette.

Swag

Neckbeard said:
Couldn't get through more than 3 seconds with that horrible music. I'll try again on mute later once I gather the courage.
The music lasts for the first 17 seconds. Watching it on mute wouldn't be really helpful, as you wouldn't hear the person talking.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
MrMister said:
Electrician can suck my balls, not because I suck against him, but because I have never in the longest of times, lost a game whilst feeling so demoralized because I couldn't farm in the laning phase on double melee and because late game I couldn't do a thing to help my teammates as him. It's one of those games where I actually care that I lost and let me tell you I haven't had this feeling of depression in a long LONG time.

The sad part is no one will ever understand what I'm talking about because I'm the only noob left on here. That last match I had with Procarbine reminded me of what I thought to myself before playing HoN, that I hated DotA in all it's forms, from its community to the gameplay mechanics, I've played these past two weeks in hopes that I'd be addicted to it, and I have, but games like the one I just had reminds me why addiction is a bad thing.

I need a fucking cigarette.
No idea how people can play these games for so many hours straight, I find it hard playing more than 2-3 at a time even if I'm winning, and especially if it's with random people.

Ikuu said:
No idea how people can play these games for so many hours straight, I find it hard playing more than 2-3 at a time even if I'm winning, and especially if it's with random people.

Yeah maybe I'm just getting old, but even if my brother boosts my MMR for a couple games I get tired and have to take a break. I actually play more if I'm losing. :lol

Rokam

I love watching these tournament replays and teams throwing a hero in that's rarely used. Just watched one with a Predator and they ended up crushing with him. Also saw a couple with Jereziah. So tired of seeing the cookie cutter teams, not really their fault though.

Anyone know of any other HoN shoutcasts, besides HoNcast?

Swag

Rokam said:
Anyone know of any other HoN shoutcasts, besides HoNcast?
You may want to check out some of the stuff that gamereplays.org puts out, I believe they shout cast some games but I'm not 100% sure.

Meeru

Banned
ladybug is horrific..worst design ever. S2 just slapped on a red black polka dot skin on pestis wings and call it ladybug lol

And they need to start doing the double coins more often.

IceMarker

NukeDukem said:
Got my first ultimate warrior today... as Plague Rider. :p
Contagion....Contagion everywhere.
When you go mid and level like crazy getting ganks off and finally get into the right position in a team fight, that ultimate is so fucking devastating.

mrbagdt

Sebulon3k said:
You may want to check out some of the stuff that gamereplays.org puts out, I believe they shout cast some games but I'm not 100% sure.
there are a lot more casts on gamereplays through honreplays.org than on honcast, and i just cant handle listening to breaky anymore because he mis-speaks so freaking much. there are some casts on gamereplays by a guy called 'sunsfan' and his are always really funny to listen to, more for the casters than the competitive insight.

Matll

Got to 1750+ mmr today. I really can't see myself getting to 1800 soloing because at that level people are playing as teams.
Then again 1757 isn't that far from 1800...

This game is pretty damn unforgiving for a beginner, isn't it?

I've just recently started playing and I try to stick to noob games, but yet people get angry when you are an actual noob...

Is there a list of heroes that are good for beginners? I've been sticking mainly Empath/Andromeda.

Meeru

Banned
helloresolven said:

I've just recently started playing and I try to stick to noob games, but yet people get angry when you are an actual noob...

Is there a list of heroes that are good for beginners? I've been sticking mainly Empath/Andromeda.
Talk with mr mister, he was a new player like you (well he bought the game but never played for a long time) and now hes really starting to grasp the dota sense that one needs to truly take advantage of the game.

http://www.nigmanoname.com/prodex.html list of heroes

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=5465 guide/shortcuts for new players

Pkaz01

This is insane.. my PSR goes up to 1650 and the quality of team mates goes down? I am getting people with kdr's of .5 against people with like 2.0 wtf? Like something is wrong with this match making system.

i get a teammate who picks mali when we need a range because to him its ok and hes good, but at the same time he has a kdr of .5 and can't even play someone like tb. I don't care if teammates are new to the game but when they suck and don't know it its the worst.

I'm not great by any means but at least i'm open to suggestions.

Meeru

Banned
Pkaz01 said:
This is insane.. my PSR goes up to 1650 and the quality of team mates goes down? I am getting people with kdr's of .5 against people with like 2.0 wtf? Like something is wrong with this match making system.

i get a teammate who picks mali when we need a range because to him its ok and hes good, but at the same time he has a kdr of .5 and can't even play someone like tb. I don't care if teammates are new to the game but when they suck and don't know it its the worst.

I'm not great by any means but at least i'm open to suggestions.
Never solo mm

NukeDukem

Banned
helloresolven said:

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?p=13102946

This is my HoN survival guide, especially on Force Random.

EDIT: Playing from a friend's laptop tonight, and I crash consistently as soon as the game starts and I get a K2 exception error.

vocab

Meeru said:
Never play mm without Five

Fixed. There's always that one person who fucks it up. I play casual mode once and a while with some friends when we need a break from normal, and we run into Captain of the bads feeding the hell out of the other team. What the hell do you know about Bottle Fayde Mid. Sells the Bottle. Buys codex for first item, and then buys boots. Who teaches these people how to play?

Also, Lady bug Pesti is awesome. Worst ever? Surley you haven't seen Teen hound, or Vaction Dampeer, or Quadropod Tremble. They didn't even put a new voice for Goat Ass Tundra. The voice for Lady Pesti is pretty good, the level of detail on the shell, and swarm are really nice.

vocab said:
Fixed. There's always that one person who fucks it up. I play casual mode once and a while with some friends when we need a break from normal, and we run into Captain of the bads feeding the hell out of the other team. What the hell do you know about Bottle Fayde Mid. Sells the Bottle. Buys codex for first item, and then buys boots. Who teaches these people how to play?
Games aren't lost because of one single bad player, or even multiple bad players! From my experience, AB teams tend to be balanced well in terms of hero control, but poorly balanced when it comes to using and implementing strategy.

As far as that Fayde build goes it sounds like a pretty interesting and hard to pull off momentum build. Codex/all of her skills are enough to down any hero if you get it early enough, and if you do it early enough it sounds like an insane advantage. In this case, going bottle first makes perfect sense, you're trying to cut the fat out. Albeit, with Fayde's low base auto-attack it's obvious why he failed, only someone who is utterly pro at last hitting/lane control could pull it off.

What i'm trying to say is; don't fall into the HoN "blame player X, find the one thing that made us lose" syndrome.

IceMarker

Argh, I'd be playing HoN right now, but the wait for Portal 2 is killing me... either way when I get home from work tonight I'll be playing one of the two.

vocab

PillowKnight said:
Games aren't lost because of one single bad player, or even multiple bad players! From my experience, AB teams tend to be balanced well in terms of hero control, but poorly balanced when it comes to using and implementing strategy.

As far as that Fayde build goes it sounds like a pretty interesting and hard to pull off momentum build. Codex/all of her skills are enough to down any hero if you get it early enough, and if you do it early enough it sounds like an insane advantage. In this case, going bottle first makes perfect sense, you're trying to cut the fat out. Albeit, with Fayde's low base auto-attack it's obvious why he failed, only someone who is utterly pro at last hitting/lane control could pull it off.

What i'm trying to say is; don't fall into the HoN "blame player X, find the one thing that made us lose" syndrome.

In casual mode it's 500 gold a kill + a shitload of experience. I had a moon queen die about 17 times. That's 8500 gold given away to the other team. The gold lead when the person is feeding is huge, and definitely puts a dent in our team fight potential, when A)Moon Queen is dead and we are forced to 4v5 every team fight, and B) they have more items then we do at "insert certain time of the game" + the levels. We would of won if it wasn't for that 8500 gold + being able to fight 5v5.

I don't blame everything on one person. But when I play, and someone picks Nomad when we have 2-3 melee already, or picks rampage, and does nothing but be useless, I have a problem. I have had too many games where shit like this happens. If Dota, or Hon wasn't like this, and less team focused, I wouldn't of cared.

PillowKnight said:
y.

Too bad fayde sucks. She can gib someone. Big deal. Once it gets to late game, she is just a body on the floor. Old Fayde was scarier.

bzm

PillowKnight said:

games can def be lost by one person. hon is a team game, and when you get that one brazilian who keeps rambofeeding their team it doesnt even feel like 4v5, it feels like 4v6 (which of course, is a huge disadvantage)

Meeru

Banned
vocab said:
In casual mode it's 500 gold a kill + a shitload of experience. I had a moon queen die about 17 times. That's 8500 gold given away to the other team. The gold lead when the person is feeding is huge, and definitely puts a dent in our team fight potential, when A)Moon Queen is dead and we are forced to 4v5 every team fight, and B) they have more items then we do at "insert certain time of the game" + the levels. We would of won if it wasn't for that 8500 gold + being able to fight 5v5.

I don't blame everything on one person. But when I play, and someone picks Nomad when we have 2-3 melee already, or picks rampage, and does nothing but be useless, I have a problem. I have had too many games where shit like this happens. If Dota, or Hon wasn't like this, and less team focused, I wouldn't of cared.

Too bad fayde sucks. She can gib someone. Big deal. Once it gets to late game, she is just a body on the floor. Old Fayde was scarier.
What is your name on hon?

vocab said:

Well, I wouldn't consider going 0/17/x just bad. I just had a problem with the idea that one single person lost you the game.
games can def be lost by one person. hon is a team game, and when you get that one brazilian who keeps rambofeeding their team it doesnt even feel like 4v5, it feels like 4v6 (which of course, is a huge disadvantage)
Eh, I see so many people rag on dudes who have done nothing wrong that i'm wary of accounts that call people useless feeders, let alone brazilians(or russians). There's no doubt that 4v5/4v6 is a disadvantage but it's not the only deciding factor. For the most famous show of this is MSI's 3v5(might have been 4v5, it was so long ago!) win at dreamhack.

IceMarker

Since Portal 2 is taking forever to release, I'll be on HoN for a bit tonight, finally went a day without playing once yesterday so we'll see if I'm already rusty! :p

bzm

PillowKnight said:
Well, I wouldn't consider going 0/17/x just bad. I just had a problem with the idea that one single person lost you the game.

Eh, I see so many people rag on dudes who have done nothing wrong that i'm wary of accounts that call people useless feeders, let alone brazilians(or russians). There's no doubt that 4v5/4v6 is a disadvantage but it's not the only deciding factor. For the most famous show of this is MSI's 3v5(might have been 4v5, it was so long ago!) win at dreamhack.
...wasnt that KDe? I feel like h4nn1s flight was late so they had to 4v5 and levent styled all over everybody with hag

Just had this game as Puppet Master. We all got portal keys.
6TLRM.png

Top Bottom