• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo, after checking this out for a bit, how would I best go finding "my* hero? Choose by style and first impression, play hours with every single one, pick one of the beginner characters? It's fun so far but really a bit overwhelming.

What kind of character do you usually like to play? Tanks, damage-dealers, healers/support, or something more abstract? You may find it worthwhile to watch some streamers; MFPallytime has a ton of YouTube Heroes of the Storm videos up. He's not a top-level player, but he's fun and good-enough to be educational.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of character do you usually like to play? Tanks, damage-dealers, healers/support, or something more abstract? You may find it worthwhile to watch some streamers; MFPallytime has a ton of YouTube Heroes of the Storm videos up. He's not a top-level player, but he's fun and good-enough to be educational.
In MMOs I usually go for support or tank, and LiLi and Johanna both look kinda cool. Maybe I should just take the plunge on either one heh.

In MMOs I usually go for support or tank, and LiLi and Johanna both look kinda cool. Maybe I should just take the plunge on either one heh.

My advice, if you don't plan to spend real-world money, is to spend gold on cheaper heroes first so you can build up your collection. Also, high gold-priced heroes (in the 7,000, 10,000, and 15,000 gold categories) will occasionally drop in price to a lower level, so it makes sense to buy them last in case they drop in price before you get to them. Heroes that cost 15,000 gold will always drop to 10,000 within 2 weeks, by the way, while all the other tiers are completely random regarding when/if they'll drop in price.

Li Li is a good hero to start with in my opinion. Relatively easy-to-use (very few targeted skills) but she's still good enough to not screw you over.

brian!

In league riot works w/ players and organizations for these things, blizzard seems more hands off

Recently the number 1 na team cant have their jungler for worlds because of visa issues

I think league was the first for sports visas but while there's a precedent for this it stills seems like a kind of tenuous thing

dmosher

Now imagine if it told you what your actual rank was in the game! Holy shit that'd be like a ranking.

I know, this just further demonstrates how silly their existing ranking system is. As of right now if you didn't make the leaderboard on their static blog post nothing else matters :p

someone needs to reply to that blog and say: "I thought I was rank 1, who the fuck is Srey?"

RbVsqDh.png

It is done. Like my comment bros.

Have they been monkeying with matchmaking further cos it's been really bad lately. Nothing but one-sided stomps, win or lose.

I dunno one dude in this thread loves etc
the only other dude thats 2000 is muradin and he's harder to understand

ETC is so reliant on having a functioning, responsive team. That's true of any warrior I guess but it's compounded with ETC and his kit. Plus when they reworked his talents didn't they kinda fuck up his numbers? Like he became kinda squishy, relatively speaking.

Muradin's pretty straightforward, you just right click and stun. His leap can be used as a tool to initiate and escape. He can jump over shit that's impassable for most other heroes. I dunno, it's my solo queue, survivability bias speaking. I like Muradin because he's tanky as fuck, is incredibly mobile and is a stun-lock machine. A teamfight goes bad, you get jumped, you make a mistake, whatever, you can leap away.

I loved ETC up until his rework, then I just dropped him, so i probably don't know what i'm talking about.

brian!

Have they been monkeying with matchmaking further cos it's been really bad lately. Nothing but one-sided stomps, win or lose.

ETC is so reliant on having a functioning, responsive team. That's true of any warrior I guess but it's compounded with ETC and his kit. Plus when they reworked his talents didn't they kinda fuck up his numbers? Like he became kinda squishy, relatively speaking.

Muradin's pretty straightforward, you just right click and stun. His leap can be used as a tool to initiate and escape. He can jump over shit that's impassable for most other heroes. I dunno, it's my solo queue, survivability bias speaking. I like Muradin because he's tanky as fuck, is incredibly mobile and is a stun-lock machine. A teamfight goes bad, you get jumped, you make a mistake, whatever, you can leap away.

I loved ETC up until his rework, then I just dropped him, so i probably don't know what i'm talking about.

I'm down to agree to disagree here. I get what you're saying about general strength, I'm coming from a different angle where etc is this obvious large character and has a really straightforward kit, things like bodyblocking (q something stand on them) or peeling (press w) are more intuitive on etc to me. Also q->r is a really satisfying thing for new players, and he doesnt really have to do much mechanically outside of his q

dmosher

A couple things:

2.it's kind of presumptuous to claim to be top 50 when there's no evidence.

3.Blizzard just needs to surface the actual MMR numbers

Yeah, I posted it in jest mostly; I think it's unfair and crappy that there's no indication of "best" besides some blog post from Blizzard :(

A couple things:

1.Does the list blizz put out match top 100 on hotslogs?

2.it's kind of presumptuous to claim to be top 50 when there's no evidence.

3.Blizzard just needs to surface the actual MMR numbers

4.the reason anyone's not on that list is because their teammates make it impossible to win.

fact

danielcw

Ya'll continue exploring Rexxars abilities so that when I start playing him, I can get some ez coaching!

There was a good reddit post on controlling Rexxar and Misha.
The gist of it was, that Misha will follow attack commands, but not attack-move commands.
https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofth...simple_tips_to_improve_your_rexxarmisha_game/

So Blizz released HL august leaderboard and

That list is for the US, there are seperate posts for EU and ASIA
http://eu.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/19887005/pre-season-leaderboards-august-2015-14-09-2015
http://kr.battle.net/heroes/ko/blog/19887005/시즌-준비-기간-2015년-8월-순위표를-공개합니다-2015-09-15

Interestingly there's way more pro players on the EU list than in NA. When did SEL start?

Also interestingly Blackscorp isn't on it but 3 other TL members are, I saw people from pretty much all top teams be quite far up on the list.

What the fuck is up with these stomps. Win or lose, I'm just playing in these horrendously one-sided matches. Not one even fight, it's always heavily tilted in one teams favour. It's so un-fun right now.

Everytime this happens it's murky time.

What the fuck is up with these stomps. Win or lose, I'm just playing in these horrendously one-sided matches. Not one even fight, it's always heavily tilted in one teams favour. It's so un-fun right now.

Just Quick Match. I'm used to having a mix of decent and terribly lopsided matches but it's been nothing but lopsided lately. Win or lose. It's not fun either way. I want a draft mode but I don't want to play in HL non-stop. I'm starting to feel compelled to re-install Dota 2 at this rate. I don't want to play HotS beyond my dailies at the moment and even that's getting problematic.

Maledict

The other issue with ETC is that Johanna counters his best ult in a ridiculous. Stupid fashion. She has no less than THREE ways to stop mosh pit working, including one that works after she's been caught in it. And Johanna is in every game currently, which massively reduces his viability.

well decided to get murky next. Since arthas and sonja are free this week. Not sure who I'll get after now that I have the damn treasure goblin mount.

ZPs

A lot of notable players are missing because the requirements were two fold

1.) Internal MMR

2.) Having Rank 1 in August.

A ton of people (ie: Fan/Dread/Kaeyoh/Me) didn't actually hit Rank 1 in August because the system was broken for all but the last few days. Case in point, I didn't bother leveling up my main account until Sept. 2nd

http://www.twitch.tv/zp_tv/v/14058662

A little annoying, but whatever. September list pls.

dmosher

They balance pretty often so even though etc is in a slump now he might come back. He used to be top tier. So It's more whichever style one likes.

It's funny how the meta shift changes peoples remembrance of what a hero / comp feels like; I was playing a HL game yesterday and we had a Gazlowe so I figured ETC for the wombo right? Well everyone moaned and whined in chat about how it wasn't a top tier pick, I ended up picking him anyways and our early game suffered, as expected vs a Leoric/Raynor combo, but once we hit 10 we won every team fight with a pretty slick wombo.

Seems like the art of the wombo has been lost since the meta shifted to Leo/Joh/Mura

Alur

Haven't played too much for the past few days, but completed placement on another account tonight with Proto. Went 8-12 for the placement and was placed in rank 7. Before reset I was rank 8 and still had the bonus, just ran out of time so I guess it makes sense kind of.

Highly doubtful I'll end up with bonus pool all the way into rank one like my other account though.

EDIT: Also, an amazing amount of Raynors and Lilis being picked the last week or two.

brian!

I'd still reckon end muradin over etc tho. He's easy enough and way more value for the gold.

eh in the end they are both 2000, I think etc is easier to learn from but I forgot that if you're learning it doesn't really matter just play free stuff, since it's also about learning what other heroes do too

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I think I just failed my exam because I spent way, way too much time with this game this weekend :(

Re-installed and played a few games of Dota 2, man is the client and infrastructure (20ms USwest vs 100-200ms in HotS) miles and miles ahead of HotS and holy shit is it ever boring babysitting an Anti-Mage (Sweded Illidan) for half an hour while they farm. It's almost like Starcraft dirt farming versus DoW/CoH resource nodes, you just get to do stuff faster in Heroes. HotS has given me MOBA ADD, I don't know if I can handle the slower pace.

So I found a glitch recently that lets Abathur put mines in the same spot. Anyone else ever managed to achieve this? I'll spill the beans in a while, trying to get a YouTube video of it up first.

Alavard

I started playing smite w/ some ppl it's actually pretty fun. Janky in a really endearing way

Me too. Saw it was on Steam and that the all characters (current and future) pack was on sale for like $20, so I snagged that pack. Figured by getting all the Gods that I can now completely play it at my own pace without having to feel like I'm constantly trying to unlock all the characters I can. Basically, it won't have to compete with Heroes of the Storm as much for me.

I'm not at the point of playing against real people though. The controls and god abilities are quick to learn, but darn, those items...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom