• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
200 fps on the lowest settings... finally I am noticing 144Hz on this game ;_; it's beautiful

Alur

Welcome back.

a2914fa31098c2823b2306d966c9bf25.jpg

I don't know how people play this game on low settings intentionally (ie: they don't have to, they just do out of preference). As much as I prefer watching McIntyre over someone like ZPs, gotta admit the shinies on ZPs stream do have their draws cause it's the same thing I see when I play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ah I just can't stand the extra "clutter" but then again, I'm trash at this game and have no say in this! Terrain NEEDS to be on medium though, or else you can barely see Zagaras creep~

Edit: thanks Alur ♥ I was gone for a week... only you noticed :( This is the first time I haven't done dailies in this game for such a long time. I managed to do my Hearthstone dailies because of my phone though!

My experience has been odd with the scaling changes. Things have not felt different on live to the extent I expected, except that my winrate is much higher now. One or two people performing well seems to reward the team more now than just having a better comp, pre-10.

Basically the laning phase hasn't been reduced as much as I expected, but it does seem to be more beneficial than before to detach from a lane and skirmish more than soak for short periods, with a net result being that you can afford to babysit a couple terrible people into the team fight phase without risking being down a level by 10.

I like it because it skews people more towards teamwork earlier and allows you to protect people you can tell are going to be feeders / slightly balance having shitty early lane presence thanks to matchmaking.

Alur

This is the first time I haven't done dailies in this game for such a long time. I managed to do my Hearthstone dailies because of my phone though!

I am the worst daily doer in the game I think. I rarely do mine unless it's convenient. I went on a run for about 3 weeks where I did them all on all 3 accounts I play, but shit is just too much trouble.

IIRC my main account is sitting at 52k gold and that's after all the 20k gold mounts + heroes. Not much incentive to continue grinding it other than to see the number go up. I could sit out the next 3 hero releases and still buy at 15k. I prefer just playing what I want whether it completes the quest or not.

And I can't even remember the last time I did a Hearthstone daily. I got legend finally last year and I have barely touched it since outside of playing through expansion wings. I even stopped getting to 20 for the card back. Lazy gamer is lazy.

Altairre

Decide to play hots because I can't play Overwatch, come to this thread to see what's going on and it's Overwatch talk. God dammit.

Yoshichan

Thought you were already attached Yoshi?
long story short

i fucked up

i tried fixing it

seemed good for awhile

then suddenly

bam

i fucked up

My past three years in 6 short and sweet lines

edit: the next few days might be one of the most important days of my life though... we'll see what happens. God bless.

Yoshichan

bb we need to talk

This weekend, you, me and Alur on mumble?

Maledict

Serious topic time

In terms of intro to this game, I think Blizzard needs to address the fact that the tutorial teaches you really bad things. In particular, merc camps.

Even at relatively high levels of play, I see rank 2 players split from the team at level 20 to go do OUR bruiser camp on sky temple, on an unpushed lane. Thus handing the enemy the game because we are split (and they didn't ping of course).

People hugely, hugely overvalue mercs in this game. The tutorial makes them seem godly and pushes you towards them, but people have to realise they are one objective, and often a very low ranking one. Team fights > merc camps.

The tutorial is there for people who don't know what a moba is and need to know basics like how do you move, how do you attack things, what do I attack, how you should attack fortifications, what the heck are these groups on enemies randomly standing in place all over the map, what's an ability, how do I use them, what's an ultimate--the real meat and potatoes stuff.

Your average LoL or Dota player is likely going to skip this tutorial.

It's not like a tutorial is going to help you with map awareness, gank paranoia, or help you better idea of where you should be on a map. This is stuff that comes through playing the game, a lot. And some people will never pick it up because they're bads.
The truth is we all are bads.

Alur

People hugely, hugely overvalue mercs in this game. The tutorial makes them seem godly and pushes you towards them, but people have to realise they are one objective, and often a very low ranking one. Team fights > merc camps.

I dunno about that, but I do know the AI mode...it just wrecks people's expectations of what a game is like and what you should be doing. Everything about it is wrong.

People do overvalue mercs though (in particular the bruisers) on certain maps. Can't count the number of times people will get a wipe and go for em like you're saying when we can just push and win.

accurate af. its either that or the same 3 or 4 people making inside jokes with each other.

k7X6ruj.gif

Feel free to contribute anytime instead of sitting on the sidelines and seething.

Alur

This weekend, you, me and Alur on mumble?

And yeah Yoshi the mumble is no more. It expires today or the 26th, I forget which. Discord info is in the b.net tag list in the OP. It's free and people seem to like it a little better. Plus you can do it via browser if you don't wanna install.

Yoshichan

nooo i will miss it :(

still didn't answer my question though... are you on this weekend :3?

Maledict

The tutorial is there for people who don't know what a moba is and need to know basics like how do you move, how do you attack things, what do I attack, how you should attack fortifications, what the heck are these groups on enemies randomly standing in place all over the map, what's an ability, how do I use them, what's an ultimate--the real meat and potatoes stuff.

Your average LoL or Dota player is likely going to skip this tutorial.

It's not like a tutorial is going to help you with map awareness, gank paranoia, or help you better idea of where you should be on a map. This is stuff that comes through playing the game, a lot. And some people will never pick it up because they're bads.
The truth is we all are bads.

My problem is that my badness is mechanical skill. I'm not as fast as other players due to my incredibly age, and I've never been particularly amazing at this sort of thing. In terms of maps and objectives though - well, 7 years of raid leading means I generally have a good understanding of what's happening on the map, where they are and what we should be doing. So my strategic skills outweigh my team fighting skills, which means I just get frustrated when people make these incredibly obviously wrong calls to do mercs.

Wow Dignitas really kicked adrd and Zarmony for JayPL and Schwimpi from NaVi.

Adrd carried that team, you could see them in action w/o him and their coordination and drafting completely tanked, which were both handled by adrd.
Snitch had to play 2nd warrior instead of his usual melee assassin or ranged.

They lost against Spartanien in the losers final. Even weirder was that adrd never attended the tournament but Zarmony still played day 1 and JayPL only subbed in day 2 for him.

their team manager said:
Meph further explained in the press release that "the players had been dealing with severe disagreements on a strategical or personal level for a while now," and that they had persevered in their BlizzCon preparations despite those issues.

What's going on with HoTS teams all of the drama. Zarmony joined NaVi so they actually did a trade, I wonder what's up with adrd that he's difficult to get along and NaVi wouldn't want him.

Alur

adrd needs to join bob ross fan club and take kenma's slot. Shuffle around the roles and make it happen. Then we have the ultimate no-one-likes-us-but-we-are-all-great-players-and-hopefully-this-works team.

still didn't answer my question though... are you on this weekend :3?

Probably so, but why?!

Maledict

Wow Dignitas really kicked adrd and Zarmony for JayPL and Schwimpi from NaVi.

Adrd carried that team, you could see them in action w/o him and their coordination and drafting completely tanked, which were both handled by adrd.
Snitch had to play 2nd warrior instead of his usual melee assassin or ranged.

They lost against Spartanien in the losers final. Even weirder was that adrd never attended the tournament but Zarmony still played day 1 and JayPL only subbed in day 2 for him.

What's going on with HoTS teams all of the drama. Zarmony joined NaVi so they actually did a trade, I wonder what's up with adrd that he's difficult to get along and NaVi wouldn't want him.

I am shocked - adrd is an amazing player, and I will miss his Kael play. Shame, but if the team isn't working the team isn't working.

If it was that bad (and it sounds bad) then you have to give extra credit to their performance at Blizzcon. It sounds worse than Tempo given what they have said, and yet they still got to the final.

Was C9 the only team NOT stitched together from other teams or undergoing roster issues at blizzcon?

My problem is that my badness is mechanical skill. I'm not as fast as other players due to my incredibly age, and I've never been particularly amazing at this sort of thing. In terms of maps and objectives though - well, 7 years of raid leading means I generally have a good understanding of what's happening on the map, where they are and what we should be doing. So my strategic skills outweigh my team fighting skills, which means I just get frustrated when people make these incredibly obviously wrong calls to do mercs.

I remember when Valve first added a tutorial mode to Dota 2, it had Sniper (think right-click assassin) buying Arcane Boots (a support item) instead of Power Treads (right click carry item, adds +8 AGI/STR/INT stats that you can toggle through as well as attack and movement speed). If HotS had items that would be like teaching brand new players that know nothing about the game that Valla should buy something meant for a hard support Lili. Never saw an Arcane Boots Sniper out in the wilds of All-Pick, but you did see all manner of terrible item builds. 30 min 5x Wraith Bands yo.

People pick up bad habits in bot matches in Dota 2 just like you see in HotS. The only thing that will teach those players that what they are doing is bad is to play against real players and get smacked down a bunch of times. The same is true of Quick Match and Hero League even if what the mistakes are change with the higher levels of play. Like merc'ing over teamfighting, pushing a lane instead of pushing the core when you have an advantage after winning a teamfight or a successful gank and the way is open, ignoring a key objective fight for something trivial or not knowing when to let an objective go and try to gain exp instead to get 10 before the other team. The higher level of play, the more mistakes are magnified. A player may do extremely well for an entire match and die only once, but that late-game death was what cost the match.

You've raided for seven years in WoW, that likely affords you a game sense that others may not have because they haven't been playing HotS (or LoL, Dota or WoW ranked PVP/Raiding) as long and it may take years for them to pick up. MOBA's are such an obtuse genre. Even a simplified one like HotS. There are some things that are easier to pick up than others but at the end of the day, it's just playing a metric fuckton of the game.

I am shocked - adrd is an amazing player, and I will miss his Kael play. Shame, but if the team isn't working the team isn't working.

If it was that bad (and it sounds bad) then you have to give extra credit to their performance at Blizzcon. It sounds worse than Tempo given what they have said, and yet they still got to the final.

Was C9 the only team NOT stitched together from other teams or undergoing roster issues at blizzcon?

It appears so, which is weird considering how stitched together C9 actually is.

Something has to have happened between opening week and Blizzcon the difference with the european teams was like night and day, NaVi moreso than Dignitas. Not taking into account that C9 was holding back

I wonder if the exchange was initiated by the players, from what we heard they were scrimming with each other a lot.
Zarmony was Dignitas weakest link but Schwimpi and Snitch fill similar roles, Schwimpi is probably the #2 Zeratul player in EU, with Blackscorp peacing out atm, #1.

I doubt we'll have to look long for Adrd to find a new team he can lead to the top of EU. Liquid and Fnatic still haven't locked in their roster, surprisingly in Liquid's case imo since Cris has done wonders for that team.

Maledict

It appears so, which is weird considering how stitched together C9 actually is.

Something has to have happened between opening week and Blizzcon the difference with the european teams was like night and day, NaVi moreso than Dignitas. Not taking into account that C9 was holding back

I wonder if the exchange was initiated by the players, from what we heard they were scrimming with each other a lot.
Zarmony was Dignitas weakest link but Schwimpi and Snitch fill similar roles, Schwimpi is probably the #2 Zeratul player in EU, with Blackscorp peacing out atm, #1.

I doubt we'll have to look long for Adrd to find a new team he can lead to the top of EU. Liquid and Fnatic still haven't locked in their roster, surprisingly in Liquid's case imo since Cris has done wonders for that team.

Thing is, with ADRD leaving does that mean Dignitas still counts as a UK team for me to support? These are the important questions that need answering!

If things aren't going well as a team, then I can guarantee having to go on holiday together, share accommodation and practice together definitely will blow things up. Best of friends going on holiday together is sometimes a risky move, nevermind being in a foreign country with all that pressure on you for a tournament. Clearly something needs to change next year though, the fact soooo many teams have broken up straight afterwards isn't a great sign.

EDIT: ADRD wasn't UK anyways, and its still 3 UK players so that counts.

Adrd is polish...

the only merc camps i do are bosses, or for coins for the pirate dude.

you should do merc camps whenever there is nothing else you can be doing right now. Also prioritize them when you know an objective will be far from the lane they're going to be pushing, say you know next tribute will be bot you do the top camp fast and the longer the fight for the tribute goes the more they'll be pushing in top lane.

Alur

The subtle shade being thrown at adrd in this interview with The Score. Wow.

Bakery said:
Most of the issues were regarding our drafting phase and our shotcalling in games. We would struggle to effectively give input during the draft phase, and often our discussions would not result in the correct Hero being selected despite coming to the correct conclusion. In games where we had some difficulties or fell behind, our shotcalling would become almost non-existent, which made it incredibly hard for us to come back as a team when we were behind.

I guess if it was that bad it's no surprise really.

I know very little of JayPL's play. I mean I've seen him, but nothing notable. Schwimpi I've seen discussed a bit, but this dude from The Score is hyping em both up. Hope it works out.

Maledict

It makes sense - Dignitas were not a team known for amazing comebacks. If they fell behind, they often stayed behind until the end. They generally won by really good, solid play from the start.

Dignitas shotcalling was hilarious, they are so fucking calm.

When you heard the coms of Tempo Storm you hear Dread nonestop reciting the focus target and Zuna screaming in exhilaration.

When you listened to Dignitas, you heard practically nothing. Every couple seconds you'd barely make out half a sentence and that's it.

Interesting tidbit about Athero picking up the shotcalling and the draft issues. Adrd was generally considered very adept if not one of the best drafters.
Their cooperation falling apart was quite visible at times.

mYinsanity is Team Spartanien fyi a german team that just got picked up. They've had solid results the last couple weeks.

kirblar

Dignitas shotcalling was hilarious, they are so fucking calm.

When you heard the comps of Tempo Storm you hear Dread nonestop reciting the focus target and Zuna screaming in exhilaration.

When you listened to Dignitas, you heard practically nothing. Every couple seconds you'd barely make out half a sentence and that's it.

Interesting tidbit about Athero picking up the shotcalling and the draft issues. Adrd was generally considered very adept if not one of the best drafters.
Their cooperation falling apart was quite visible at times.

mYinsanity is Team Spartanien fyi a german team that just got picked up. They've had solid results the last couple weeks.
Fan Fan Fan Fan FAN FAN FAN FAN! FAN!! was amazing.

Auteezy

Banned
Adrd is polish...

you should do merc camps whenever there is nothing else you can be doing right now. Also prioritize them when you know an objective will be far from the lane they're going to be pushing, say you know next tribute will be bot you do the top camp fast and the longer the fight for the tribute goes the more they'll be pushing in top lane.

I thought objective things were random, like tribute locations and times. I am very unaware. I just click heroes and hope they die tbh

Ugh Artanis needs something badly. He just doesn't bring much to the table I think. Even if he has the damage of Sonja he doesn't have the sustain or mobility. He obviously doesn't have the survivability of the beefier tanks and he has pretty much 0 team fight disrupt outside of his ults. The prism rarely is good outside of a chase or 1v1/2v1 to help body block due to his shit movement. Dude basically needs a full rework. Hate to be the dev who looked at that kit and thought "yeah this looks good"

Auteezy

Banned
Ugh Artanis needs something badly. He just doesn't bring much to the table I think. Even if he has the damage of Sonja he doesn't have the sustain or mobility. He obviously doesn't have the survivability of the beefier tanks and he has pretty much 0 team fight disrupt outside of his ults. The prism rarely is good outside of a chase or 1v1/2v1 to help body block due to his shit movement. Dude basically needs a full rework. Hate to be the dev who looked at that kit and thought "yeah this looks good"

should have made scout artanis from broodwar. Pixely shirtless dude was way cool

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom