• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

You know, I'd buy some skins but I actually think most of them really aren't all that great. The defaults are better than the paid skins in most cases. They really need to work on that.

You know, I'd buy some skins but I actually think most of them really aren't all that great. The defaults are better than the paid skins in most cases. They really need to work on that.

I agree. There are a few I like, Marshall Raynor, Lumberjack Uther (mainly because of the flavor text... Don't judge) and mecha Tassadar come to mind.

Alur

Zagara has the best skins

UKdQX8x.gif

Desert Queen is good...the rest barely have anything noticeable changed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
59.89 for the stimpack

You know, I don't know, $60 just to get faster XP and gold seems like it's not worth it to me. Actually all of the stimpacks have always seemed expensive. I could buy a lot for $60 that would have more value, like a few other games, hell maybe just go wild on some skins and heroes and still have like money left over.

I think I'll just get a few cheap skins and stop at that.

Alur

I mean, you do get lots of variation with Zagara skins Kappa:

And of course skin tints that only a zerg mother could love:

The heroes with the best skins IMO:

Murky (Master Murky (best in game), Funny Bunny Murky, Grunty Murky)
Stitches (King (Master) Stitches, Bikini Stitches, upcoming Stitches Claus)
Uther (Master Uther, Lumberjack Uther, Judgement Uther)
Nazeebo (Master Nazeebo, Harlequin Nazeebo, Grimskull Nazeebo)
Zeratul (Master Zeratul, Ronin Zeratul, Zerg Hunter Zeratul)
Nova (Master Nova, Rollerblade Nova, Novazon)
Abathur (Skelethur, Pajamathur)

Shoutouts to Countess Kerrigan, Mecha Tassadar, Master Tyrael, Buccaneer Falstad, Earthbreaker Thrall, Winter Veil Jaina, Desert Queen Zagara, and Flying Monkey Brightwing (if for nothing other than changing Brightwing's voice). The rest are just okay or worse for the most part. Why do the mid year heroes not have 4 skins yet, for example? KT needs it.

EDIT: The mcinGAF himself (McIntyre) is on THH right now.

Milly79

That zag tint is so good.

Think I'll pass on the 360 SP. Don't see myself getting full of near full value to throw down that kind of cash.

Mac said Nova is viable. The God has spoken. RIP Alur and the games we play together.

Strider

People are real deal mad over that 360 stim pack price over on Reddit. Geeeeez.

Sometimes I wonder why i ever bother visiting that site...

Syf

Banned
People are real deal mad over that 360 stim pack price over on Reddit. Geeeeez.

Sometimes I wonder why i ever bother visiting that site...
I don't get that lol, it's 12 months for the price of 6. Easily worth it for anyone who plays the game regularly.

Indignate

Winter Jaina isn't available separately and I have to buy a bunch of mounts that I don't care about.

I think I'd rather deal with Smite's random chest nonsense
I wouldn't

Shoutouts to Countess Kerrigan

Countess Kerrigan turns into a fuckin bat.

Support the Queen.

I would agree if "human" Zagara wasn't white (there is zero reason for her to be white).

I can think of a few reasons.

Auteezy

Banned
i have no clue how to deal with nova. I just always die, especially when she gets like 5 stacks of that ability damage and then instead of 3 hits i die in 2

I played this game for the first time today. I've never played a MOBA before either. I did only 1 part of the tutorial then jumped right in with a friend to play against AI for 2 matches. Pretty interesting.

i have no clue how to deal with nova. I just always die, especially when she gets like 5 stacks of that ability damage and then instead of 3 hits i die in 2

Can you spot her? Play defensively and or play cautiously. If you can spot her you can bait her and have a teammate hide nearby to pick her off. Warn your teammates when she's switching lanes. Unless she takes the piercing talent you can "hide" in a minion wave since her base kit snipe doesn't penetrate.

Oh and punish your opponents hard during teamfights to which Nova has a difficult time contributing.

Auteezy

Banned
Can you spot her? Play defensively and or play cautiously. If you can spot her you can bait her and have a teammate hide nearby to pick her off. Warn your teammates when she's switching lanes. Unless she takes the piercing talent you can "hide" in a minion wave since her base kit snipe doesn't penetrate.

Oh and punish your opponents hard during teamfights to which Nova has a difficult time contributing.

idk man she just runs around like 2-3 shotting me when i play healer or that other role with the push dudes. Sorry I don't know much terminology. I can see her squigly outlines but then i just die anyway

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I played this game for the first time today. I've never played a MOBA before either. I did only 1 part of the tutorial then jumped right in with a friend to play against AI for 2 matches. Pretty interesting.
Welcome friend

idk man she just runs around like 2-3 shotting me when i play healer or that other role with the push dudes. Sorry I don't know much terminology. I can see her squigly outlines but then i just die anyway

Nova is renowned for preying upon new or still inexperienced players, being able to spot her is the most important part already. You'll eventually learn how to play against her.

If she gets too many Gathering Power stacks your team will have to do some extra work or make some sacrifices to get rid of her once and she loses them.

Maledict

Nova is renowned for preying upon new or still inexperienced players, being able to spot her is the most important part already. You'll eventually learn how to play against her.

If she gets too many Gathering Power stacks your team will have to do some extra work or make some sacrifices to get rid of her once and she loses them.

I do know how to play against Nova, andI agree with Macsaying she's now viable. The scaling changes combined with the god awful stupid Gathering Power change have turned her back into a terror for backline characters. It's incredibly unfun - if she gets a few kills early on, she snowballs *hard* and it's a lot easier to get those kills now than it used to be.

I don't know what they were thinking to be honest. They stripped gathering power from a character who used it and left it on one of the characters they *know* is an issue with new players and game balance. Ultimately Nova is the sort of character who just can't be top tier, because she's so unfun to play against when she's that good. I hope she gets hit with a nerf stick soon, because she's freaking unfun right now.

Auteezy

Banned

here's my issue. I'm Rank 4 right now and i've gained like 9 ranks in 3 days even though I have almost no clue what i'm supposed to be doing. I'm around ~2.7k mmr on hotslogs and gained ~200 mmr in this time. So I honestly have no idea how to deal with heroes like nova but because of my rank and mmr i guess i play against some fairly good ones. I haven't seen her much lately but I know from my past experiences playing this game during alpha and beta that she owned super hard when people picked her and the game was mega unfun.

Basically I'm a noob but I win games and have no clue how to deal with most heroes.

I do know how to play against Nova, andI agree with Macsaying she's now viable. The scaling changes combined with the god awful stupid Gathering Power change have turned her back into a terror for backline characters. It's incredibly unfun - if she gets a few kills early on, she snowballs *hard* and it's a lot easier to get those kills now than it used to be.

I don't know what they were thinking to be honest. They stripped gathering power from a character who used it and left it on one of the characters they *know* is an issue with new players and game balance. Ultimately Nova is the sort of character who just can't be top tier, because she's so unfun to play against when she's that good. I hope she gets hit with a nerf stick soon, because she's freaking unfun right now.

Not really sure it's a viable strategy though, sure she can get some early kills and try to snowball the game from there but you could do the same with Kerrigan.
If you pick her off just once she's back to her mostly useless state and your team probably scaled much better than theirs and should have it much easier at teamfights.

Haven't watched THH yet so I'll reserve judgement on it though. She might be viable in an unfun way for all I know.

Oh and why would expect balance from Blizzard.

here's my issue. I'm Rank 4 right now and i've gained like 9 ranks in 3 days even though I have almost no clue what i'm supposed to be doing. I'm around ~2.7k mmr on hotslogs and gained ~200 mmr in this time. So I honestly have no idea how to deal with heroes like nova but because of my rank and mmr i guess i play against some fairly good ones. I haven't seen her much lately but I know from my past experiences playing this game during alpha and beta that she owned super hard when people picked her and the game was mega unfun.

Basically I'm a noob but I win games and have no clue how to deal with most heroes.

and here I am lecturing you despite being a scrub compared. You must be doing something right at least.

Maledict

Thing is Kerrigan is dodgesble and killable. Yes, Nova can be taken out if she plays stupid and keeps trying to flank for solo kills, but put her in the hands of a good player who doesn't make that mistake and she's a nightmare. Plus Kerrigan can't one shot people - Nova can literally one round Kael, Falstad, Jaina etc now. Jaina at least can take frost armour at 7, but poor Falstad and Kael have no defenses at all for most of the game.

Nova isn't at murky status in terms of unfun - but when she's powerful she's close behind him. Right now I'm seeing her in almost every game I play again, which is a bad sign, and she's playing like she used too 9 months ago when they last broke her. I really don't want to have to start running Tassadar or Tyrael in games just to counter her but I can see it happening the way it's playing out right now.

Just strip gathering power off her. It's a dumb talent full stop, and on a perma stealth gank hero like her it's extremely dumb.

Auteezy

Banned
and here I am lecturing you despite being a scrub compared. You must be doing something right at least.

idk I just pick mindless things like sonya and raynor, then just run up from the side right clicking their squishiest hero and hope they die. Or i pick lili and just follow whoever fights the most around keeping them alive as long as i can. I got no real clue when is a time to merc or do objectives i guess when a lanes pushing its okay to merc. If they got 3 dead should probably hit buildings or do whatever objective. Sometimes its okay to skip 1st objective to soak 4 faster than them for that early fight up 1 talent, spread a bit more of a lead or something. Mostly I just have a lot of background and was an okay dota player, was about ~150 mmr off top 200 NA at one point so maybe I just have a feel for mobas. Still have no clue how to lane against certain heroes or what they even do or their talents do. I mean I thought kerrigan was like a cc/control warrior initiator until yesterday.

i actually have no clue what to do with things like dragon and plant, I end up killing like 1 tower and die. I figured eventually if I kept winning i'd end up matching with people who know what to do and they will just tell me.

patchday

idk I just pick mindless things like sonya and raynor, then just run up from the side right clicking their squishiest hero and hope they die. Or i pick lili and just follow whoever fights the most around keeping them alive as long as i can. I got no real clue when is a time to merc or do objectives i guess when a lanes pushing its okay to merc. If they got 3 dead should probably hit buildings or do whatever objective. Sometimes its okay to skip 1st objective to soak 4 faster than them for that early fight up 1 talent, spread a bit more of a lead or something. Mostly I just have a lot of background and was an okay dota player, was about ~150 mmr off top 200 NA at one point so maybe I just have a feel for mobas. Still have no clue how to lane against certain heroes or what they even do or their talents do. I mean I thought kerrigan was like a cc/control warrior initiator until yesterday.

i actually have no clue what to do with things like dragon and plant, I end up killing like 1 tower and die. I figured eventually if I kept winning i'd end up matching with people who know what to do and they will just tell me.

Check out this guide.

The best time to take camps is when you can cause a dilemma for the enemy.

Awesome! Think I've seen you post in Destiny or Dragonball Xenoverse threads here.

brian!

2 main things to think about w/ camps: what are you going to do with them and how r u gonna manipulate the enemy team with them. Ez way to consider this is to consider that camps are auto-pushing lanes and that camps give exp (you take it you get exp, if enemy doesnt address it they dont get exp). In general it's hard to go wrong with taking a camp and rotating to another lane w/ an immediate objective as a flowcharty decision but ofc play to situation

Having mercs come out and just get instantly cleared and be useless sucks, but if you need the immediate exp do ur thing. Enemy side mercs will hold the enemy on that side if they arent grouped in that area yet (and taking a safeish weapon from them is always valuable).

Mercs camps are also basically free map info, like if ppl be missing and there is good info to support that they are doing a camp (last headed that way, it's a safe place for them to be in, etc.) it means things like they have lost map pressure so you can do more in places you know they arent at (and they will react more slowly and less powerfully in areas away from the camp, the dream is to get something done and then deal with the mercs they activated while they scramble to damage control the spot you were just at) or if you see them split or ur team is stronger it's grade invade information. Lots of scrubz have trouble recovering after a steal

Alur

You'll get all that though. If you're pushing towards rank 1 with your mechanical skills alone I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe you hit a point where you stagnate in rank before then, or maybe you hit a point where your MMR will stagnate for a week or something but that'll just kind of give you the time to learn the things you're concerned about (and against opponents you outskill if not out-think quite yet).

brian!'s and patchday's advice on merc camps is good.

Like for example on Sky Temple, the first temples spawn top and mid. Two minutes exactly from when the last shot was fired from the first set of temples the next temple will spawn bottom (it's always 2 minutes after the last temple fired, btw). If you can have the top lane bruisers ready to be capped as the temple notification comes online, those bruisers will either (A) push into top wall/fort unmolested or (B) elicit a response from the enemy which will likely win you bottom temple. There's timing like this on several of the maps.

As for not knowing what the heroes do, if you're playing F2P hit quick match and level the free heroes to 5 each week. You'll at least see what they do and what they are bad at in the 5-6 games you have to play to get there. You'll also get 500g for each one you get to 5.

And re: Nova - skillshots. If you're seeing her shimmer already, play a hero that has a targeted skillshot and just blast her out of stealth. If you get the jump she can't and she drops like a brick.

They're giving away Cho'gall if you watch Dreamhack this weekend.

I'm curious how many people who would bother to watch who don't already have it. Has to be a low number.

One thing that's useful to know (if you don't already) is that when you're in the dragon or plant early on the game you should avoid taking tower hits. You get way more value if you just wait for the minion wave to start tanking. Also, the fort attacks apply a really strong AA slow, so just in general you should avoid taking fort hits unless it's 1-2 hits from dead.

Alur

Giving him away for free via stream is a great idea though, regardless of how many people still need it who would actually be invested enough in the game to want to watch it.

If they continue to give incentives to watch HOTS e-sports via portraits and stuff like Cho'Gall they'll increase viewership as well as keep earning that goodwill with the community.

That Rexxar portrait was a beaut that you got for the NA/EU championship. I could dig some more of that especially since we can finally see each other's portraits now.

Pooya

I've seen some horrific match making after the patch, like we have Abathur and two healers and they have 4 assassins wtf.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't get that lol, it's 12 months for the price of 6. Easily worth it for anyone who plays the game regularly.

Another way of looking at the 360 day stimpack is this:

You are paying $5 per month for one year to get 150% gold rewards for matches and a 100% XP bonus. So its kind of like a $5/mo subscription for a year that gets you gold faster and levels heroes twice as fast.

If you buy stimpacks regularly then this is a no brainer and very worth it. I've never bought a stimpack because I've always thought they were too expensive and a bad value. This 360 stim is borderline for me, I feel like I want to buy it but I'm not sure it's worth it for a casual player like me who plays a few hours a couple nights a week. I know I want to get a few skins during this sale too so if I also get the stim then I'm spending like $70 - $80, which seems like too much to me.

But then again, it's Christmas soon, and I've been a very good boy.....

Maledict

My problem is that I have 65K gold already, and no heroes in game I want to buy. So I'll spend money on skins I like (I'm a whale, I admit it!) but there's no point me using a stim pack as I have enough gold to last me a good while. Plus half the new heroes comes with a cool skin and I buy the bundle any ways...

Valus

New map is incredibly fun. Really liking it so far. Also I was playing Nova last night and got matched up with 9 people, all under level 20. I don't even get how that happens and felt really bad for the enemy team. I ended up with 22/0/9, they just didn't understand how to counter GP Nova.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom