• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auteezy

Banned
I think most people would like them to change the model away from heal bots and into supports in the Dota / LoL style of character. However, I think the odds of that happening are extremely low - it would require a massive rework across a huge number of characters, including full scale kit redesign for heroes like Uther and Rehghar. With that in mind, I'd rather we pushed for a realistic goal (nerf the living **** out of them) than leave the game in its current state.

Tyrande is just...man. First pick material, all the time, every time. You can run her as solo healer, you can run her as pure damage with sustain, or anything in between. Her mark is *such* a game changer - it turns tanks into putty and punishes them in a unique and powerful way. Combine that Mark with the rest of her pretty amazing kit and it's a recipe for disaster.

idk I like the healbot aspect of it. I don't really think dota style supports fit hots because supports in dota aren't always healers/sustainability heroes but ones whose spells early game are stronger than other heroes early game spells because spells don't scale per hero level like they do in hots. Hots is too fast paces for dota style supports which kind of fit the assassin role as weird as that sounds. Supports have higher early game burst/stuns and go around getting kills and stunning/utility movement/giving vision in the mid-late game.

Fmal

Banned
idk I like the healbot aspect of it. I don't really think dota style supports fit hots because supports in dota aren't always healers/sustainability heroes but ones whose spells early game are stronger than other heroes early game spells because spells don't scale per hero level like they do in hots. Hots is too fast paces for dota style supports which kind of fit the assassin role as weird as that sounds. Supports have higher early game burst/stuns and go around getting kills and stunning/utility movement/giving vision in the mid-late game.

I'd much rather have this game's definition of support mean "you have spells that make plays and dictate the course of team fights" than "you have a heal." Pre-Crisis Uther is arguably the best support this game has ever seen, and his heal was just gravy on top of a monster kit.

I played 4-5 in Dota all the time because supports in that game were active earlier than anyone else they all had high-impact spells. I basically never play support in this game because there are only three fun ones, and people are begging for nerfs to two of them.

Yolo Sprint Divine Storm Uther? Which had next to zero counterplay since he could use it in ghost form even?

I didnt watch the games but i saw in the reddit thread that they were picking it into solo support tyrande which makes sense

I don't see it. Why not just ban Tyrande instead. Zeratul may be able to deal with her but he doesn't make her a bad pick, on the other hand he's pretty booty atm.

brian!

The theory is that you can just erase her from the map, i dunno how it worked out in practice. So by doing this you bait their team into creating a comp that revolves around a too big to fail pick and then you provide a direct answer to it. It sounds like c9s problem here was execution rather than picks from the comments but i dunno how accurate they are

It's kind of like how ppl would bait out sonya picks in the previous patches

Also i dunno if id say zeratul is necesarily bad atm, but he's a lot more difficult to use definitely and it makes sense not to pick him if you cant play around the risks he has to take now to get stuff done

Wouldn't Nova be better for that though? Zeratul has a much harder time one shotting than she does and Tyrande past level 10 has 2 heals and is possibly the easiest hero to dismount pursuers with. They had Tyrael to boot.

It might sound fine on paper but if that doesn't work out you just gave the opposing team the single best character in the game atm

brian!

It's not for oneshotting it's so you vp their no escape healer, positioning is super important on tyrande and zera kind of circumvents that.

I agree w/ u on zera vs. tyrande being a hard decision to make, like i definitely wouldnt have kept at it if it didnt pan out the first time. Mebbe c9 had a targetted ban for that slot also?

Is VP still the playmaker it used to be? The target nerfs to it just make it so risky and depending on the warriors picked many comps can fight for a couple seconds w/o their healer just fine and with Ults at much lesser a CD than VP.

First game they banned Tassadar first afaik. Also looks like they chose to pick the map game 2 and 3 instead of fbfp

brian!

Yeah it's way more riskier than it used to be, i assume whoever played zera (fan?) told his team that he was confident with it. The only other pick that kind of does the same thing is anub w/ web wrap

I feel like good arguments can be made on both sides but from the comments it seemed like c9 was playing booty in general

Oh looking at the drafts there wasnt even a tyrande in the first game, welp emoticon

Maledict

What I don't understand is why you would go for something that fragile & risky.

Wouldn't it be easier just to take Tyrael, Falstad and Jaina, (maybe Thrall?), and just murder her at the start of every team fight? Solo Tyrande healer means there is literally no way to prevent Tyrael judging her, whilst Jaina and Falstad line their heroics and long range damage abilities up to remove her from the game.

(Falstad in particular is great at this - long range hammer + Hinterland Blast is a good 1500 damage straight up on any character at any distance).

brian!

Yah id like to hear what they were thinking, i just noticed that tyrande wasnt picked in the first zera game anyway so im pretty curious

Maledict

Yah id like to hear what they were thinking, i just noticed that tyrande wasnt picked in the first zera game anyway so im pretty curious

I'm watching that one right now and honestly don't understand what Zeratul is doing in that team. Maybe they've found something in scrims we aren't aware of, but I would be really surprised to see that drafted.

Milly79

Considering there were balance changes in the last patch, wouldn't that put it at 6 weeks for the next one? I'll eat crow if we get new balance alongside Lunara, but I doubt it.

Auteezy

Banned
I'm confused. Why is a caster casting something on a non-official stream off their own channel and interacting with chat a problem? That shit is like half the fun of those kinds of streams. In DotA Beyond The Summit basically built their casting studio off that kind of stuff where the casters would read stuff from chat, ask for chat spams, and ask chat for an opinion and read it. If Khaldor is just casting something on his channel what's wrong with him reading chat and making fun of the dumb shit people say? It's entertaining imo.

Alavard

Considering there were balance changes in the last patch, wouldn't that put it at 6 weeks for the next one? I'll eat crow if we get new balance alongside Lunara, but I doubt it.

You're not wrong, in that we usually get the balance changes in the bigger patch (the 4 week one, rather than the 3 week one). But if I recall, we got those Morales buffs at a weird time, when we weren't expecting them, so I think that has changed some peoples' assumptions and expectations.

brian!

He's really defensive is all and that makes ppl uncomfortable. I empathize w/ him and all the work he has put in but viewers want something that seems to clash w/ his personality

Milly79

You're not wrong, in that we usually get the balance changes in the bigger patch (the 4 week one, rather than the 3 week one). But if I recall, we got those Morales buffs at a weird time, when we weren't expecting them, so I think that has changed some peoples' assumptions and expectations.

Reworks aside, it still happens every time we get a new patch. I for one am happy the rate at which things come. Coming from SWTOR where the updates were very few and far between. Not sure how other games handle it, but I guess it's just the world we live in now (we want more).

kirblar

I'm confused. Why is a caster casting something on a non-official stream off their own channel and interacting with chat a problem? That shit is like half the fun of those kinds of streams. In DotA Beyond The Summit basically built their casting studio off that kind of stuff where the casters would read stuff from chat, ask for chat spams, and ask chat for an opinion and read it. If Khaldor is just casting something on his channel what's wrong with him reading chat and making fun of the dumb shit people say? It's entertaining imo.
Because hes super thin skinned and cant laugh off trolling.

Alavard

Reworks aside, it still happens every time we get a new patch. I for one am happy the rate at which things come. Coming from SWTOR where the updates were very few and far between. Not sure how other games handle it, but I guess it's just the world we live in now (we want more).

Yeah, we're pretty spoiled. I never would have guessed Blizzard could have kept up the rapid rate of development and patches that they have this far, given their history.

Fuck Blizzard for matching me (as Abathur) in a Quick Match solo queue with a Cho'Gall on the Cursed Hallow with the opposing team having 5 players (Rexxar, Tyrande, Brightwing, Kael, and Kerrigan). Our other heroes were Zeratul and Malfurion.

That was some bullshit.

Maledict

Fuck Blizzard for matching me (as Abathur) in a Quick Match solo queue with a Cho'Gall on the Cursed Hallow with the opposing team having 5 players (Rexxar, Tyrande, Brightwing, Kael, and Kerrigan). Our other heroes were Zeratul and Malfurion.

That was some bullshit.

I would never QM as Abathur, as much as I love him. It's suicide with the way quick match works nowadays.

I've got 15k ear-marked for Lunara. I'm ready for a new hero I just hope she isn't too much of a glass cannon. Game seems super unforgiving with fragile heroes right now.

patchday

hopped into a Hero League match. Team rolls 3 warriors. Guess it was to troll enemy Nova more than anything. I didnt really think we'd have a chance. We were getting stomped at the beginning too but came back and won it

I give up. I have no idea how team comps really work in this game. But I do have a sense of how to counterpick a tiny bit

vyu7IDr.png

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
hopped into a Hero League match. Team rolls 3 warriors. Guess it was to troll enemy Nova more than anything. I didnt really think we'd have a chance. We were getting stomped at the beginning too but came back and won it

I give up. I have no idea how team comps really work in this game. But I do have a sense of how to counterpick a tiny bit

vyu7IDr.png

well, the 3 warriors basically neutered nova and butcher. nazeebo probably wasnt going to be enough damage by himself for team fights either. of course it depends on build and if he was focusing on pushing or team fights, too.

This argument would make some sense if he hadn't enabled subscriber-only chat mode during games he was casting on Saturday

^^That line-up is hilarious, as Raynor you must've had an unassailable position to just stand there and right-click stuff.

I bought one thing in the sale, the year long booster. Cos I'm a chump. Now I have two subscriptions basically.

Auteezy

Banned
Turdburger killed chat interaction forever for Khaldor. Turdburger streamer bully?

i'm sure this will last like 2 weeks and khaldor will be back to what he was doing before. He said a million times in SC2 that he was guna stop doing X and then a few weeks later he was back doing X

I have not really seen enough hots e-sports stuff to know what makes a good/bad caster. I think Khaldors more funny in a clowny unaware sort of way more than I think he's a good caster.

kirblar

i'm sure this will last like 2 weeks and khaldor will be back to what he was doing before. He said a million times in SC2 that he was guna stop doing X and then a few weeks later he was back doing X

I have not really seen enough hots e-sports stuff to know what makes a good/bad caster. I think Khaldors more funny in a clowny unaware sort of way more than I think he's a good caster.
Would you say he's an EPIC clown?

Or more like a INCREDIBLE clown?

Or perhaps a CANT MISS clown?

Alur

I don't even know what that's all about, but...

The surprise tomorrow is going to be the Christmas/holiday themed skins and the like isn't it?

Pretty much has to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom