• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundLad

Can't we just create 4 new free accounts of our own and register using our own link? Am I missing something?

It would suck leveling this shit up ourselves but, I hate trying to "recruit" people.

Yep, you can just create four of your own alternate accounts and do this yourself on all the accounts rather than recruiting actual new players.

Just be sure that the new accounts use your main account's RAF link.

Yep, you can just create four of your own alternate accounts and do this yourself on all the accounts rather than recruiting actual new players.

Just be sure that the new accounts use your main account's RAF link.

That's good news. Looks like I have a backup plan. I can't remember the ballpark of how long it takes to get to level 10? Like... a couple of hours max?

kirblar

Patch notes. The Black Friday sale must be going REALLY well for them:

SECTIONS:

Recruit a Friend
System Changes
Shop
Bug Fixes

RECRUIT A FRIEND

Invite Your Friends to Play Heroes and Earn In-Game Rewards!

Following today’s patch, each player will receive their own unique Recruit a Friend link.
Invite your friends to join the Nexus using your recruitment link, and you will each unlock epic in-game rewards as they play and level-up in Heroes of the Storm!
Find your link using the new in-game Recruit a Friend panel, or visit the official Recruit a Friend webpage.
Access the Recruit a Friend panel in-game by clicking the new “Recruit a Friend” button that has been added to the bottom of the Friends List.
Click here to learn more about the Recruit a Friend program and the exclusive rewards it has to offer.

50% XP Bonus

We’re offering a week-long 50% XP Bonus for all players in the Nexus, which should help your new recruits get a head-start toward their Recruit a Friend rewards in Heroes of the Storm!
The XP Bonus begins at 10:00 a.m. PST on Tuesday, December 8, and ends at 10:00 a.m. PST on Wednesday, December 16 for players in all regions.

SYSTEM CHANGES

Talent Gating

Talent Gating has been removed from Heroes of the Storm, and players will now have access to all Hero Talents regardless of their account levels.

Hero Rotation

The weekly free-to-play Hero Rotation has been expanded from seven to ten free Hero slots.
Brand new accounts will now begin with six free Hero rotation slots, and four additional slots can be unlocked by reaching player levels 5, 7, 12, and 15, respectively.
View the current lineup of free-to-play Heroes by heading to the Free Hero Rotation forum thread.

SHOP

50% Off All Heroes, Skins, and Mounts!

As part of our celebration for the new Recruit a Friend program, we’re excited to announce that the 50% discount on all Heroes, Mounts, and Skins that arrived with our Black Friday Sale –including the 360 Day Stimpack– will remain in place through the end of the year! What’s more, any brand new items released during this time will also be available at 50% off their normal real-money prices.

BUG FIXES

User Interface

Fixed an issue that could cause the Cho’gall Buddy Brawl Special Event Quests to visually persist for players who had already completed them.

SoundLad

That's good news. Looks like I have a backup plan. I can't remember the ballpark of how long it takes to get to level 10? Like... a couple of hours max?

With the 50% bonus + free stimpak it really shouldn't take too long at all (4-5 games?). Not sure how long exactly but I guess I will find out later!

kirblar

You know what else would go REALLY well for them? Gifting. Why doesn'r Blizzard want our money?

Also rip talent gating. You won't be missed.
Gifting can work- they need to be able to sell codes on-demand.

The issue is that their current system allows for cross-region arbitrage.

Just buy each other B.Net gift cards :p

Talent Gating

Talent Gating has been removed from Heroes of the Storm, and players will now have access to all Hero Talents regardless of their account levels.

End of an era. I mean, they nerfed talent gating quite a bit many months ago thankfully, but this is the final death blow. I'm happy, this is definitely a good Quality of Life improvement.

brian!

Talent gating was one of those things that i kind of understood the context of from trying wow this month, not that it made sense for this game at all tho

Hmmm is it working right now in EU ? 'cause i cannot see the 10 heroes in the rotation and the recruit link i've done for another account did not provide me raynor nor stimpack.

Alur

Patch notes. The Black Friday sale must be going REALLY well for them:

I wonder how much money they'd have to make for it to become permanent?

Like, the #1 lifetime gripe of HOTS is the price. If they permanently halved it on top of all the other good PR lately...ayy lmao.

gaem mite not b ded? /shocked

Gave a friend the link that the website gave me for the referral and now I log into the client and it gives me a completely different code. My friend's account says he already has a veteran and he didn't get any rewards and there is no gear next to my name in his friends list like the troubleshooting page says...

His response " Well F@*K this game, I'm playing Fallout"

Indignate

Honesty these are the prices all this shit should have been at to begin with.

But I would probably be saying that anyways regardless of whatever price they initially were.

kirblar

Lunara got delayed by Q/A concerns, apparently.

Question for you guys- if you were to make people X/Support hybrids- it'd be Tyrande (Ass/Supp), Tyrael (War/Supp) and Tass/Abathur (Spec/Supp) right? Anyone else I'm missing?

brian!

Lunara got delayed by Q/A concerns, apparently.

Question for you guys- if you were to make people X/Support hybrids- it'd be Tyrande (Ass/Supp), Tyrael (War/Supp) and Tass/Abathur (Spec/Supp) right? Anyone else I'm missing?

It's kind of a hard thing to think about since the roles arent so clearly defined, id throw etc in there tho, i dunno where monk falls in this. I hope they dont do a hybrid kind of thing

patchday

Honesty these are the prices all this shit should have been at to begin with.

But I would probably be saying that anyways regardless of whatever price they initially were.

lol!!!

All champs free would've been even better (at launch) I think. I mean, they could still sale mounts and skins. Suckers like me buy all that and stims

theorycrafting time for a third heroic, hmm how about brood lords? or is that too much like banshees? maybe they just hang around her?

give her ultralisk back lol

ummmmmmm leviathan?

how about a ravager she can spawn every so often, who works like a turret

Forever Alone: HotS Edition. Everyone I know who would play HotS is, in fact a few have stopped. I'm not complaining that it's a cool Recruit-A-Friend mount, I mean it's got to be a neat reward to get people to do it, I just wants it. I wants it so badly.

Maledict

This is a dumb promotion that Blizzard will change fairly soon I anticipate. 4 people is way too much, and will just lead to account smurfing. That's going to create a headache for the real new players, as there will be a ton of experienced players on fresh alts going into quick match games and annihilating the real newbies.

This is a dumb promotion that Blizzard will change fairly soon I anticipate. 4 people is way too much, and will just lead to account smurfing. That's going to create a headache for the real new players, as there will be a ton of experienced players on fresh alts going into quick match games and annihilating the real newbies.

wouldnt vs AI still be faster, especially to a low level like 10 and when you dont have alot of heroes to choose from

Milly79

wouldnt vs AI still be faster, especially to a low level like 10 and when you dont have alot of heroes to choose from

Here's some redditors math:

It's 2,425,000 XP to level 10.

I'm fairly certain that duo queuing quick match with a friend and winning at ~level 20 is the fastest way to get XP. With that said, I've been doing beginner AI by myself and after 125 games, average about 95k per game. That would make it about ~25 games to level 10. With the holiday bonus, friend, and a stim pack from the start, it would be significantly less than that. I would guess about 15-20 beginner AI games @ 10 minutes per game, as a conservative estimate. Definitely less than 3 hours.

If you took the optimum QM route with a talented friend, it would be much much quicker than that - less than 2 hours for sure.

EDIT: Just finished a solo AI game as I was typing this - 105k xp in 8 minutes + ~2 minutes for queue and game start = ~630k xp/hour = 4 hours solo. Final estimate: 2-4 hours depending on how you do it.

Milly79

After 16 games (15 adept AI, 1 failed QM), I reached level 10 on my first smurf.

qxAZRJX.jpg

Gonna be a longgggggggg grind.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the last AI game i played lasted 20 minutes. and it was boring, also. it also doesn't help you get much better at the game for the time investment

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
findin four people is gonna be rough, and i hear 3 is the max amount of accounts you are allowed to have :( hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You know, that Vulture mount is cool, but it's not worth all of that work for me. I'd just rather spend that time leveling up my heroes, lol.

Alur

Would the best strategy to recruit each other's "alt account", party up, and then level together?

Yep, cause you're also getting the extra EXP from friending.

you guys are playing AI games? why make the grind boring like that?

the last AI game i played lasted 20 minutes. and it was boring, also. it also doesn't help you get much better at the game for the time investment

I don't think anyone who is bothering to make some smurfs and playing against people at the 1700 level is too worried about improving at the game as most everyone they play will either also be smurfs of wildly varying MMRs or actually new. There's not much you can improve when you have a year of game experience playing absolutely green players.

If anything, in the case of folks like Milly who are far higher MMR, when they enter QM they are making everyone else's games worse by being a 3k + player in games made for people with half of that MMR.

Basically every game feels like you're playing AI mode, except with the added frustration of toxicity, player's general newness/cluelessness, and the all too frequent disconnects/quitting that occurs in the new player range. You can't ping 1600 MMR Thrall and Hammer + the two others to follow you to protect anything or to end the game. Well, you can ping for them to, but the results vary. In AI you can make them. Sure Milly can carry pretty well in HOTS at that skill level, but he has to contend with all the other shit too.

I'm not saying AI is for everyone, but it's definitely the path of least resistance to getting this done quickly. There's no BS and no queue times to contend with.

The grind is mindless either way you do it. The AI method just makes it truly automated so you don't have to deal with herding the cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom