• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Blizzard + ESPN = "future of esports", already semi leaked. If ESPN gonna feature hots in its new esports push, I could see lots of pros being very excited about HOTS future. And then they also show next hero maybe next two.

You think they fly everyone out to say: Masterleague! Everybody already knows.

Alur

You think they fly everyone out to say: Masterleague! Everybody already knows.

By that logic, everyone knows we get a hero every 3 or 4 weeks too. It makes no sense. You are literally dying on this hill right here in front of me.

It's multiple things. They didn't just invite pros, they invited streamers. Lots of those people have already said it's several big things. It's not just heroes and odds are it does indeed include season 1, otherwise the salt level will be 100.

Claiming it's just heroes is just straight cynicism at this point.

Maledict

Latest twitter video thing

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/727905912770297857

Shows art has being turned into a flying sheep, within a large purple circle effect. Which means I have absolutely no idea who it might be. Given its a purple effect that implies a blue dragon, as I don't think any other dragon colors used polymorph Magic like that. Which means we're looking at Malygos, Kalecgos or that dragon no-one remembers from the Caldarra in wrath. Or, at a real push - Anveena, the essence of the Sunwell, with summoning Kalecgos as one of her abilities.

Maledict

I don't think so - the circle appears *after* he turns into a sheep so it implies it's something that happens near the target.

Could be *bleurgh* Rhonin and Krasus I guess. Really hope not though, he was such a terrible character from a terrible author.

Maledict

It shouldn't be Chromie because although she's a Mage, polymorph is really not a bronze dragon thing at all. But I'm certain that it is because:

A) she spends most her time in gnome form, so that's a good excuse how you fit a giant dragon in the game. She turns into a dragon for select abilities but most of the time is a gnome

B) it explains the 'sillyness' aspect of a flying sheep, which doesn't seem like anything a serious dragon would do

C) it's another Mage, and we need more mages

D) she would count as a gnome so helps fill out the wow roster.

guys shut up, its a troll priest

Foresttrollpriest.gif

Maledict

There have been troll heroes lurking in the background of promo shots and mass character shots for over a year. They ar absolutely, definitely coming at some point.

its their ace in the hole, their hail mary. as soon as you think HoTS is done for, WHAM, troll hero released, HoTS is saved, the people rejoice.

Ketch

By that logic, everyone knows we get a hero every 3 or 4 weeks too. It makes no sense. You are literally dying on this hill right here in front of me.

It's multiple things. They didn't just invite pros, they invited streamers. Lots of those people have already said it's several big things. It's not just heroes and odds are it does indeed include season 1, otherwise the salt level will be 100.

Claiming it's just heroes is just straight cynicism at this point.

I predict:
ESPN partnership for esports.
And new heroes
Nothing about hero league.

Ketch

The dream is dead. HL will never be good. And by declaring that, with absolute certainty and conviction, there will be no HL news I am simultaneously garuanteeing HL news while also preventing myself from being disappointed when the news is inevitably terrible.

Maledict

I'm really excited about the announcements. Probably a mistake because it cant possibly live up to my expectations, but I really think we're going to see some big changes. They can see how well Overwatch has done and I'm sure are learning lessons from that.

Alur

I'm excited as well.

Look, let's be real. Whatever they announce, people will find something to bitch about. Whether it's us bitching, reddit bitching, or some other group bitching. That's vidya gaem lyfe.

I'm just hoping for season 1 announcement.

I suspect that it's going to be more than that, though, based on people saying it's several things, so I'd also like to see a new event (like last year's Diablo event w/ treasure goblin + themed heroes + map) and esports integration. Dunno that we'll get it, but season 1 would be good enough for me provided patch frequency and hero frequency remains at the same pace.

Altairre

Morales free week is the best. I actually get some decent heals on Tracer and I can just kill the Morales on the other team. Win win.

So, what happened to Khaldor? Last I heard he was a douche about something half a year (or more?) ago and then never got invited to any Blizzard events. It seems like Pallytime is the defacto YouTuber now. I guess, I expected Khaldor to get bigger, but it seems like his growth is really slow. Maybe it's just a sign of HOTS e-sports in general.

He stayed in his spot? Can't really outgrow your scene, he doesn't want to be a streamer but Blizzard has embraced him and he and Kaelaris are pretty much #1 and #2 in casters at this point.

kirblar

Yeah, him not being as active on the social media side makes it an easy call to save airfare, he's almost certainly getting the info early as well.

Maledict

So, what happened to Khaldor? Last I heard he was a douche about something half a year (or more?) ago and then never got invited to any Blizzard events. It seems like Pallytime is the defacto YouTuber now. I guess, I expected Khaldor to get bigger, but it seems like his growth is really slow. Maybe it's just a sign of HOTS e-sports in general.

Um, Khaldor now casts Blizzard events and is one of the top casters in the game nowadays?

Maledict

His tier list makes the same mistake all the pro's done. Although he at least has Nazeepo in a decent spot, he has Lili at tier 5 for solo queue. Lili is the top solo support in hero league, even at the Master + diamond level.

You can't say she's tier 5 when she's that high in the charts. Its silly that they all discount her for solo queue when every piece of evidence tells us she's a really strong hero (especially against Tracer...)

kirblar

Epiphany earlier today: Deckard Cain is the Blizzcon hero. We know they're working on him, and he's probably going to be an oddball.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

'm Srey and today I'm making my Solo Queue Tier List & Ban List public!

TIER 5 - Do not play these Heroes unless you have mastered them in every aspect, otherwise your team is at a disadvantage.

Nova, Li Li, Sgt. Hammer, Artanis, Gazlowe, Rexxar
http://www.hotslogs.com/Default

Li Li - 8th highest win rate in the game across all skill levels, 51.9 %
I... see. Lot of masters out there!

kirblar

lol, I couldn't look at it where I'm at right now cause of GDocs.

What is with them and the anti-Li Li thing. Uncoordinated play is a radically different beast.

No Townhall today? Is there any schedule to that is it just random
Cali is screwing things up. I'm guessing they'll record a show for Friday post-launch.

brian!

the reason ppl put those heroes low is because they dont feel like they are significant contributors to a win, I think they are all pretty aware of stats

lili can carry harder now w/ water dragon tho

Q: What makes a Hero high tier?

A: Heroes that I rate highly do extremely well in several of the following categories: map control, objective control, waveclear, burst damage, sustained damage, poke, ganking, survivability, and factor X (unique strength). For example, Kael’thas deals extremely high area of effect damage (sustained and burst), has excellent CC, some of the best waveclear in the game, self heals, can insta-kill an enemy, and is strong at all points in the game. His main weakness is his lack of mobility and fragility.

Q: What does it mean for Hero to be a higher tier?

I’ve defined my Tier List as what Heroes I think are most effective at carrying games. A higher rated Hero will be able to carry a game much more easily than a lower rated one. However, this is not always true, there are a lot of factors that go into making a Hero the “right pick” for your team. For example, you may not want to pick Li-Ming versus a team encompassing Zeratul, Tracer, and Illidan, and instead opt to pick Sonya. You should always select a TIER S Hero if they are available though.

Q: Would I ever pick a TIER 2 Hero over a TIER 1 Hero (if both options are available)?

Yes. Some Heroes are extremely good on some maps or with or against specific Heroes. For example, Sonya is a much better choice than Thrall on Infernal Shrines if your team has a Tassadar and a Rehgar (making it very difficult for the enemy team to kill Sonya). You should generally pick the Hero that you are more comfortable on as well.

Maledict

the reason ppl put those heroes low is because they dont feel like they are significant contributors to a win, I think they are all pretty aware of stats

lili can carry harder now w/ water dragon tho

I really disagree with that.

Firstly, an uninterrupted cups is a nightmare to deal with - the only reason its bad at high levels is because they have the co-ordination to stop it. buteven in master league they clearly don't.

Secondly, he has rehgar as tier 1 and Uther at tier 2. Again, cups is a very powerful healing tool (especially at 20!), and whilst ancestral is stronger cups is not exactly weak. Plus Lili comes with her blind, which is extremely powerful in the current meta.

I find Lili to be one of the more impactful main supports I can play to be honest - because timing the blinds and positioning so stuff goes off makes a huge, huge difference. I understand completely that she's bad in pro level play, but the fact is you shouldn't telling people "Do not play these Heroes unless you have mastered them in every aspect, otherwise your team is at a disadvantage." because that is objectively wrong. Lili is your BEST chance for a win at the highest level of solo play as a main support.

Alur

I like Into the Nexus a lot, but where is a guy suppossed to get his e-sport fix?

I enjoy listening to Into the Nexus and Core now more than I have THH since probably RTBC last year...even though some of their thoughts are clearly questionable, particularly on Core.

They are entertaining at least. And still can't listen to State of the Nexus cause no iTunes =/

Alur

I could make an MP3 and upload it to iTunes, yeah, but then I'd have to name it and all that bullshit. I don't have any actual music on my phone anymore, it's all in the cloud, so it'd be a pain...and then I'd have to go manually delete it after.

brian!

I really disagree with that.

Firstly, an uninterrupted cups is a nightmare to deal with - the only reason its bad at high levels is because they ahve the co-ordination to stop it. buteven in master league they clearly don't.

Secondly, he has rehgar as tier 2. Again, cups is a very powerful healing tool (especially at 20!), and whilst ancestral is stronger cups is not exactly weak. Plus Lili comes with her blind, which is extremely powerful in the current meta.

I find Lili to be one of the more impactful main supports I can play to be honest - because timing the blinds and positioning so stuff goes off makes a huge, huge difference. I understand completely that she's bad in pro level play, but the fact is you shouldn't telling people "Do not play these Heroes unless you have mastered them in every aspect, otherwise your team is at a disadvantage." because that is objectively wrong. Lili is yuor BEST chance for a win at the highest level of solo play as a main support.

im not defending his bad wording or anything but the list is just a list of things he thinks are impactful and he says so

like I'm sure just anecdotally srey was like "hm never seen a lili contribute much" rather than "hm she sure is weak when the best players are involved"

also dunno if it matters whether it's hero league or not, but the last two qms I played were before that one mm changing patch hit and the "1000 mmr" discrepancy is already present:

the actual quality of the games were pretty normal though and the difference between 1000 mmr is open to interpretation imo, kind of an arbitrary number tbh
it's also quick match and the way mm is done there could be totally different too

Maledict

Then he's obviously not watching. Sorry, but you can't be the highest pure support at the top level of hero league and then be described as being:

"Do not play these Heroes unless you have mastered them in every aspect, otherwise your team is at a disadvantage."

That doesn't correlate. He's not ranking for impact there, he's talking about chance of winning. And clearly Lili must have an impact, otherwise she wouldn't win?

It's a bit of a circular argument, but ultimately until a pro comes up with a tier list that recognises Lili and Nazeepo's role in the game, and the fact they do it very well, their tier lists aren't going to be much use. They keep letting their pro experience interfere with what they are actually suggesting people play in solo hero league. Right now, if someone is playing solo hero league, they should be told to play Lili as the support if they are in that role!

EDIT: They said the hotfix was just for hero league so not sure about quick match.

brian!

iunno it's just flippant wording to me, but I mean I'm in that wacky camp where I think you can win w/ any hero so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

but i'd luv to talk about lili if that's where the conversation is going because I do think she is probably the weakest hero in the game
+ I do think that the correlation between winrate and hero strength is not very important
^bad wording, I mean something more like that winrate and hero impact dont really intersect very linearly

I was actually talking about blinds w/ someone the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom