• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

The game he switched to melee to play zera was one of the worst zeras I've seen in a pro game.

Blink forward to Q ETC. Good plan, wonder why it didn't work out.

Not to mention accrediting their success to a single player more than C9s atrocious drafting.

They gave them KT, Li Ming, and Illidan. Illidan doesn't need support when everyone is dead.

brian!

yeah I guess that's fair, I was coming from the angle of being down 1-2 -> leading them to 3-2 in a top 2 na series but he had some pretty bad moments this tournament
zuna does the draft for nvt, but also c9 did draft pretty poorly last two games so it's kind of just taking advantage of their mistakes too not necessarily outdrafting

Ketch

Zuna needs to be on tank, but it seems to me like he's rather be the play maker and probably doesn't practice warrior outside of scrims.

brian!

zuna's good at tank, but tbh I think the correct way is to not go too singular with role assignments the way nvt has been doing
like create the correct draft, then put the best ppl on it, I think for hots that works fine since laning is a bit non-existant
for example, if mac feels uncomfortable playing zeratul and would rather play tass in a particular game, that swap should be available
wiz did analysis for them this tourney

I think fan did really well but he threw a lot this tourney too w/ his team picking up the pieces, that one game w/ him on li ming was like noooooooo
his illidan was so great though, his zoning and his fearlessness is what illidan should be

Alur

I think Zuna is legitimately one of the better or best players in the world. Certainly one of the best in NA/EU, at any rate.

The difference between Zuna and the other really good players is that he seems to lack any restraint. He'll make amazing plays, but for every two he makes he flubs another 2 by trying to be Faker while playing Heroes of the Storm. His skill is very high, but his decision making is regularly lackluster.

Personally I believe he'd be best as complimentary piece to a strong shotcaller like he used to be with Tempo Storm, instead of trying to be the All-Star and shotcaller on a team where he may or may not even be the best player mechanically.

Naventic as a team have three legitimately strong players (Fan, Zuna, Mac ((bige is still an unknown for now)), and two players who are IMO actually world class (Fan and Zuna ((Mac is still unproven in this respect). Based on his interviews, the role juggling, his own seeming admittance to a lack of practice outside of scrims and so forth, Zuna seems to let his ego cloud his judgement in game and out and too often forgets that he has other players who can also carry/help carry and throws before anyone gets the chance.

If I had to place my chips on the best Heroes player in NA I'd be all in on Fan at the moment. He's a monster.

Same, and one of the best in the world. Still can't believe of all the players let go on C9, it was him. Even as great as k1 is, his limited pool alone should be something they rectify or get rid of.

I think fan did really well but he threw a lot this tourney too w/ his team picking up the pieces, that one game w/ him on li ming was like noooooooo
his illidan was so great though, his zoning and his fearlessness is what illidan should be

I said this quite some time ago. Fan on Li-Ming sucks. I dunno why, but someone else should play it. It's like the worst hero he's played competitively by a long shot.

brian!

I didn't catch his zera games (besides one where he played flawlessly against pg), but from what I was reading from reddit the drafts were pretty anti-zeratul (not that this excuses poor play from him)
fan fits way better on a team like nvt imo, he was basically the zuna-type on c9 where youd have 4 backing and fan in the middle of them being hello team??? that has to grate on you

also big props to big e, he looked crushed day 1 w/ his team trying to console but he didnt tilt hard day 2, that shit is hard

in general for game 4/5, the entire team were workhorses, hope that shit keeps up for sweden

Alur

The real talk, though, is that no matter how great they are (sans MVP Rich, perhaps?) they all throw games, get baited, and do stupid shit from time to time.

The issue people have with Zuna is that he seems to go HAM without his team way, way more than any other well known professional player in HOTS. It's gotten him a worse rep than he deserves skill-wise, but it's still a legit complaint because he can't seem to curtail the behavior completely.

re: bige, I'm hopeful he and Tomster develop and begin to rival the Fan/Zuna/k1/Dream's of NA in reputation for skill in the future. I think they can.

brian!

i respect the all-in get a single reset li-ming build though, esp. since it's so hard for her to get resets these days, it's something that makes a lot of sense but only nvt busted out
yeah I think fan is slightly too impatient for li-ming, he needs to be constantly doing something

brian!

the 4 w, 7 cala, 13 glass build? I missed it I guess, didn't catch a lot of the tourney and in the games where fan played it the casters made a big deal out of it so I just assumed

Alur

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but the ITN podcast said that in those announcements from the summit and so forth, there was news that Arena mode was being changed to be more like Hearthstone and Overwatch's Tavern Brawl. It makes sense, just hadn't seen anything about it.

Anyone got a link or remember what was said?

kirblar

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but the ITN podcast said that in those announcements from the summit and so forth, there was news that Arena mode was being changed to be more like Hearthstone and Overwatch's Tavern Brawl. It makes sense, just hadn't seen anything about it.

Anyone got a link or remember what was said?
I think this came up in Khaldor's interview. It's going to have more ARAM-style modes that throw the rules out the window and force you to do something different.

Alur

Tavern Brawl was great for Hearthstone. Saw quite a few people playing it on my friends list in OW beta too.

I'm not sure how I feel about losing the ability to create your own 5 Sylvanas vs 5 Sylvanas game or whatever it was they advertised at Blizzcon, but I think it will still be fun.

Was there anything more concrete given regarding Unranked Draft beyond the screenshots showing it?

Maledict

They didn't say you could create your own 5v5 Sylvanas game - just that it occasionally comes up with the random character assignment.

Personally, I'm glad they are looking at Arena again. After playing with ARAM mode a lot and in general, I think Arena looked very barebones. Without talents I think the game would really suffer.

Alur

It was an option is what I'm saying. You were allowed to pick into that if you wanted from the options given. With Tavern Brawl, you just get whatever it spits out that week.

kirblar

It was an option is what I'm saying. You were allowed to pick into that if you wanted from the options given. With Tavern Brawl, you just get whatever it spits out that week.
TB varies a lot week to week. Sometimes you build your deck, sometimes just a class, sometimes you just get assigned something at random.

Alur

In Overwatch it's pretty cut and dry bar the one version where you are just stuck with whatever hero you pick for the entire match from what I've seen.

All McCree's, all flying heroes, all support, etc

Zackat

People in the OW thread really, really like that mode and many have expressed that they wish HotS had a mode like that. So it seems like they are ahead of the curve on this one.

Alur

It makes sense. Popular in the other two games, easily implemented in this one...no brainer.

EDIT: Was listening some more to the latest Into the Nexus with Jeff Cannata filling in for Garrett because Garrett was at Dreamhack. Cannata was at the summit, and said "One of the other quick things that I just wanted to mention was how much the team respects and likes HOTSlogs. They are all very quick to point out that it's not completely accurate...but that they all want to have more robust stat tracking in the context of the game that is 1-to-1 accurate."

I wonder if barrett777 might get hired? They seem to like his system and admit it's not perfect, but it's pretty good when they discuss it (Browder even sometimes references the closeness of internal stats to HOTSlogs stats regarding winrates). Would be pretty cool.

Alur

Overwatch competitive is a little hard to follow honestly. Not because of the heroes, for me, just because there's so much first person.

Alur

Think I'll stick to League LCS, HOTS, and Dota International myself. Though perhaps once it's out I'll get more into actually watch OW.

Ketch

It makes sense. Popular in the other two games, easily implemented in this one...no brainer.

EDIT: Was listening some more to the latest Into the Nexus with Jeff Cannata filling in for Garrett because Garrett was at Dreamhack. Cannata was at the summit, and said "One of the other quick things that I just wanted to mention was how much the team respects and likes HOTSlogs. They are all very quick to point out that it's not completely accurate...but that they all want to have more robust stat tracking in the context of the game that is 1-to-1 accurate."

I wonder if barrett777 might get hired? They seem to like his system and admit it's not perfect, but it's pretty good when they discuss it (Browder even sometimes references the closeness of internal stats to HOTSlogs stats regarding winrates). Would be pretty cool.

They just need to write an API that lets sites like hotslogs automatically pull the data instead of requiring people to upload replays, and then share the actual algorithm with the site owners sobthat the MMR is calculated correctly.

Alur

I'd like to but can't for another hour or so at least =/. How'd you find the randoms? I figured someone would make a channel.

Maledict

lol zp already casting a tournament that exceeds heroes by thousandz, good switch zp

I know its just me, but I honestly cannot follow fast paced FPS shooters at all. Don't understand how anyone can given the speed they move at and the restricted view you have of the game.

lol zp already casting a tournament that exceeds heroes by thousandz, good switch zp

hots had a stable 50k viewership on twitch in the first NA regional qualifier last june right after the game officially "launched"

OW is gearing up for launch and ppl are hyped -- see where it stands in a year.

I think for HOTS's twitch viewership to go back up, they're going to have to get people back into playing the game more consistently again and they have to reduce broadcast downtime. the ranked play stuff is a big thing to get people to play again consistently, so that's a good first step

and then arena mode will help a lot for the casual player. hopefully they add some sort of in-client tournament feed and a "community" tab to provide esports information directly within the client. additionally, adding heroes to the roster that hit people's nostalgia will help -- Xul was good for this, and Medivh will be good for this I think, but there's in-development heroes like Kelthuzad, Guldan, Deckard Cain, and a bunch of others that can have this type of impact.

releasing a half-finished game really hurt their viewership longevity, unfortunately. as people lost interest in playing, they also lost interest in the game's competitive scene.

kirblar

hots had a stable 50k viewership on twitch in the first NA regional qualifier last june right after the game officially "launched"

OW is gearing up for launch and ppl are hyped -- see where it stands in a year.

I think for HOTS's twitch viewership to go back up, they're going to have to get people back into playing the game more consistently again and they have to reduce broadcast downtime. the ranked play stuff is a big thing to get people to play again consistently, so that's a good first step

and then arena mode will help a lot for the casual player. hopefully they add some sort of in-client tournament feed and a "community" tab to provide esports information directly within the client. additionally, adding heroes to the roster that hit people's nostalgia will help -- Xul was good for this, and Medivh will be good for this I think, but there's in-development heroes like Kelthuzad, Guldan, Deckard Cain, and a bunch of others that can have this type of impact.

releasing a half-finished game really hurt their viewership longevity, unfortunately. as people lost interest in playing, they also lost interest in the game's competitive scene.
It's exactly what happened to SFV, it takes time to fix this shit after you fuck it up.

Yeah the downtime and even just the time in between games is a big momentum stopper

its awful. there was some reddit post by a dreamhack production guy trying to justify it who blamed it on the out-of-client draft. but OGN doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and why do ppl have to take a bathroom break after every game?

do it like OGN. 2 games almost immediately after each other, no "bathroom breaks" allowed. teams are told this ahead of time so they can prepare. game ends -> 2 min of talking (not 10) -> go straight into next draft. then a 10 min break between each set of 2 games where players can strategize, de-tilt, bathroom, etc.

Alur

Agreed. I'm not taking a break after every game I play when I'm playing, whether it's with a group or not. Other than some strategy talk for 2-3 mins, I don't see why they really need to either.

Zackat

The huge breaks between games were too much. I remember several Blizzard run tournies where there wasn't much downtime at all. Can't remember which ones in particular. The hype dies when you go to electronic music commercial fillers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom