• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

That's a bold move by them. Figured they'd wait a patch just to funnel people into the new ranked and avoid doubling up on confusion or bugs. Cool stuff.

Not sure what those Chromie buffs will do. She already did enough damage. It was landing it reliably which is the problem and they admit that in the notes. Now they make her do more damage more often, but no more reliably. IMO it's just going to make her really feel like an RNG Nova for opponents because getting randomly hit from the fog will be even worse now.

At least they did something though.

The health buffs will hopefully make her slightly more survivable, at least enough to lure opp into your trap.
The damage buffs will make her go online sooner, as in deal so much damage getting hit really, really hurts.

Alur

The health buffs will hopefully make her slightly more survivable, at least enough to lure opp into your trap.
The damage buffs will make her go online sooner, as in deal so much damage getting hit really, really hurts.

I don't think she was ever "not online" though. You could basically two shot people from level 1 from the start. The damage already hurt tremendously. Now it just hurts more, but it was never her problem. The problem is being able to land it against opponents who pay attention and they didn't do anything for that...and apparently intentionally, which is interesting I guess.

brian!

Yeah it's by design and part of why they didnt expect her to have a high winrate

Li ming is the same, it's hard to hit ppl paying attention. The general consensus ive seen is that chromie is pretty good but that there isnt much reason to pick her over li ming, unless youre picking her for the rewind ult i guess

Alur

Coming with our ranked revamp will be an Unranked Draft mode. With its own unique queue similar to Quick Match or Ranked modes, Unranked Draft will feature a pick and ban system similar to Hero League, no party restrictions, and its own unique MMR (Matchmaking Rating). Our hope is that Unranked Draft will be the preferred queue for players looking to draft with a few friends or play in a more structured environment than Quick Match but without the pressures of ranked play.

Glad they are giving a separate MMR for it. Will be mighty intriguing to watch which mode dies (unranked draft or QM). It's almost inevitable that one will win out over the other when you split the player base like this.

Yeah it's by design and part of why they didnt expect her to have a high winrate

It's a pretty silly design IMO because it's not intuitive to the actual play of the players themselves.

For example, at lower MMR levels players are not as good with skill shots or prediction but to make up for it their opponents are also mostly oblivious...result? Shit winrate, not enough from Chromie to make up for the shortcoming.

At higher MMRs, you have the skill to land the skill shots but your opponents also have the common sense to dodge them due to the big windup...result? Shit winrate, not enough from Chromie to make up for the shortcoming.

No matter which way you go, she's unable to do anything approaching "high skill cap" because she is negated evenly by what she faces. The better a player is with her, it's also likely the better your opposition. The best correlation is Zeratul, whom if you are skilled with at a high level is also counterable because you can see his shimmer. Despite that, Zeratul is still able to get in work by playing smart, proper engages and VPs, etc. There's really nothing the Chromie can do but lob out more Qs and Ws and hope someone stands still or walks into them. The windup is just so prohibitive that you can't ever reach "the skill cap". Potentially you could reach your skill cap with repetitive play on her at your level, and become the 60% + winrate god of your MMR level on her, but you could also just play KT or Li-Ming and be far more useful to your team and do similar damage.

The design philosophy is a bit wanting and it's not really her fault. It's the fault of Li-Ming and KT and the like, because their kits are just too well-rounded in comparison. I honestly wish they'd gut them both in the same way they did Jaina and make them strictly damage dealing heroes. If Ming is gonna have this kind of damage, remove the blink. If you want the blink, cut the damage by 25%, etc. Chromie just can't exist in their world.

kirblar

The one map where she makes sense (CH) has her poke negated by the fact that she can't help procure or defend against a boss! Her design doesn't make sense on that axis.

brian!

Yeah i dunno if she has a high skill cap beyond struggling to survive, but you could probably get inventive w/ her ult and i guess there's an argument for keeping track of timings like her stasis and rewind thing

The changes feel smart to me, like if shes this niche hero that was built in a way that makes her very dangerous to balance then tiptoeing with health buffs (to give her some more wiggle room to disengage) and dmg buffs (to further her niche) seem pretty logical. The worst thing for her would be an overbuff based on winrate and it gives me more faith in the team that they see this and dodged it. It also helps that there isnt a large vocal clamoring from the community on that end too

IcyEyes

I love Chromie and her gamelplay, but this buff doesn't look so great at all.
Maybe if she stick around the 30% of win ratio, soon or later Blizzard will rework her a little bit.

Right now she is a waste of gold and money (her very nice skin!).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i have to take a deeper look at that anniversary bundle, but buying it nets 3 mounts... so i'm open to finally making a purchase in the game

Maledict

Gods I love Tyrande. Playing her again in hero league and she just straight up makes plays for her team like no other support. Paired her with Xul one game and she felt like death walking in the enemy team.

Every support should be this way. lease work on it Blizzard!

kirblar

Gods I love Tyrande. Playing her again in hero league and she just straight up makes plays for her team like no other support. Paired her with Xul one game and she felt like death walking in the enemy team.

Every support should be this way. lease work on it Blizzard!
That's because she's originally from when Support didn't equal Main Healer!

While Chromie has a few different, viable builds, the problem with her design is only one of those builds provides utility outside of fighting heroes. Mobius Loop is pretty much always required if you want to have any sort of effective siege damage output. Shifting some of the CD reduction away from Mobius Loop and baking it into the baseline Dragon's Breathe doesn't seem like it's going to do much to change that.

Until they add some siege damage output to Sand Blast so that it chips away at everything it passes through, I'm going to be locked into building Dragon's Breath talents for the the first three tiers on siege heavy maps, like Tomb of the Spider Queen, and forever locked in to picking Mobius Loop for every map. Dragon's Eye is an awesome talent that goes very well with the Sand Blast/Temporal Loop build but I feel like I can never afford to take it. Chrono Sickness may as well not be in the game. Maybe that's a funny combo with Andorhal Anomaly but the other two DB talents are such important parts of her damage output. With one being her main source of siege damage.

While Chromie has a few different, viable builds, the problem with her design is only one of those builds provides utility outside of fighting heroes. Mobius Loop is pretty much always required if you want to have any sort of effective siege damage output. Shifting some of the CD reduction away from Mobius Loop and baking it into the baseline Dragon's Breathe doesn't seem like it's going to do much to change that.

Until they add some siege damage output to Sand Blast so that it chips away at everything it passes through, I'm going to be locked into building Dragon's Breath talents for the the first three tiers on siege heavy maps, like Tomb of the Spider Queen, and forever locked in to picking Mobius Loop for every map. Dragon's Eye is an awesome talent that goes very well with the Sand Blast/Temporal Loop build but I feel like I can never afford to take it. Chrono Sickness may as well not be in the game. Maybe that's a funny combo with Andorhal Anomaly but the other two DB talents are such important parts of her damage output. With one being her main source of siege damage.

What other talent on that tier is even viable? The center one seems nice but the impact area is ridiculously tiny, like less than original ty's stun. And I haven't tried talenting her e ever.

her waveclear is pretty great with mobius

What other talent on that tier is even viable? The center one seems nice but the impact area is ridiculously tiny, like less than original ty's stun. And I haven't tried talenting her e ever.

her waveclear is pretty great with mobius

If you have the timing down, with Temporal Loop, it's dead easy to land Dragon's Eye. Also fixed objectives like Booty Bay coin turn-in, Temple gem turn-in and Cursed Hollow Tributes can be easy to land if you're casting from fog. But taking Dragon's Eye over Mobius Loop can seriously limit your utility outside of fights and even during if you fail to land it.

Andorhal Anomaly is an awesome talent for securing a bit of safety/map control over dangerous objectives, like Terror or Boss fights. I usually take it if I've gone with the Dragon's Breath/Temporal Loop build. I haven't played with a Gaz or ETC where having mass relocate would be useful for a wombo.

I like Temporal Loop but it's so ineffective against a number of heroes and can be cleansed, which will rarely happen at my mmr tho.
I haven't thought about the OHKO potential because the regular combo even with the damage reduction is decent enough but it has a point.

I tried it only a few times but not only do I really not hit W much (I usually finish the quest close to 20) as you mentioned the siege is dreadful w/o it.

It's problematic to use Temporal Loop, even without the target being cleansed. A bunch of heroes have abilities that can break them out--Chromie can use Bye Bye! or Time Out, Dehaka can burrow, Iceblock on numerous heroes, Muradin can Dwarf Toss away, Leoric can wraith walk, etc, etc. You kinda gotta wait out the cancelling abilities and then use it. It's so great at putting people in bad positions when their team is retreating, or just setting them up for a Dragon's Breathe, Sand Blast combo they can't dodge.

It's hilarious on a Nydus Zag or Abathur. "Oh, you thought you were getting away. Yeah, no"

Temporal Loop is probably the Triple Tap or Pyroblast equivalent on Chromie. You probably shouldn't pick it but sometimes it's just fun.

Quadratic

Anyone want to level up Cho'Gall while we have an XP buff? Only interested in getting him to LV5 vs AI.

Send a friend request if you're interested in teaming up.

Btag: Quadratic#1998

Kinda wish I held off on buying the Shadopan Lili, I want the Hellbilly but there's nothing I really want to buy. It's too bad Meth Bikini Hooker Stitches is only available with that plushie. I'd totally buy that.

$2.87 for Tyrael's Charger, 7 day stim and Hell Billie. Don't mind if I do.

Ended up doing this, didn't want Tyreal's mount but the stimpack and Hell Billy are nice.

Ken

Picked up the anniversary bundle and the two Tassadar items on sale. Seemed like a good deal as a new player.

Do supports usually lane with ranged assassins?

Probably going to play some Greymane, try to learn him. Any advice?

Worgenform has one of the highest AA damage in the game and an escape so when laning it's usually better to be in worgenform otherwise it's human until you can go in trade for a priority target or get in and be able to get out again.

That's all I got but I was never particularly adept with him.

brian!

Picked up the anniversary bundle and the two Tassadar items on sale. Seemed like a good deal as a new player.

Do supports usually lane with ranged assassins?

In general supports (well most heroes in the game) dont really lane, w/ some exceptions ofc. Since exp is the same regardless of how many heroes are near a minion, heroes with weak early games that need to be babysat can often find shelter w/ groups of 3+ in this game. W/ supports youll most likely want to move them around to make sure you are constantly getting value of their skills (increasing lane pressure throughout map w/ heals, gank threat, waveclear, etc.), babysitting is less of a thing here since the only resource is exp

Two immediate examples i can think of for support laning are solo laning (where most supports are able to be safe and continually soak, usually this is a 1v1 lane) or one of those lanes where you pile a group of ppl w/ the express desire to run over whats in front of you

Maledict

Probably going to play some Greymane, try to learn him. Any advice?

A) only shift to worgrn form in team fights when you can get a kill. You do a large amount of burst with the leap, swipe, AA and then ult but it's not a guaranteed kill, and you are very easily taken down unlike other melee assassins. Wait till someone is damaged, then finish them off.

B) don't forget your swipe in worgen form allows you to pass through players. I've often escaped ambushes in lane by leaping in worgen form to someone who has flanked me, swiping through them so they can't body block and high tailing it to the gate.

C) personally I lane in human form for the extra safety. Whilst it doesn't have an escape move, he can be played just like raynor, standing back and getting to the gates. Anyone flanking can be jumped through as above. If you are in worgen form in a lane you have a lot further to move if attacked, so whilst the roll is useful it often isn't enough to make up for the range.

Pooya

what a bad time to have bonus xp event, everyone is playing overwatch still. I would have liked to take advantage of it some but I have zero time for it. rip.

Alur

So no one casted the initial games of this weekend's second NA regional, and now Gilly's stream went dead too? (EDIT: It's back)

Da fuq.

Maledict

So no one casted the initial games of this weekend's second NA regional, and now Gilly's stream went dead too? (EDIT: It's back)

Da fuq.

To put it bluntly, the organisation and casting of the regionals has been utter garbage.

The casters themselves do great, but everything is is bad. The streams aren't publicised, they are often taking place in someone's bedroom, there's INSANE downtime between each match and overall it just comes across as incredibly amateurish and plain bad.

Does no-one from Blizzard watch the Invitational or something?

Alur

what were the results?

Naventic beat TS 2-0 so far.

Apparently there was never going to be a main stream for whatever reason. Fucking ridiculous. Tetcher was gonna cast it from home, but his computer died. Apparently yesterday, but no one got anything together.

So Gilly volunteered to do it at the event but the stream died at one point.

To put it bluntly, the organisation and casting of the regionals has been utter garbage.

The casters themselves do great, but everything is is bad. The streams aren't publicised, they are often taking place in someone's bedroom, there's INSANE downtime between each match and overall it just comes across as incredibly amateurish and plain bad.

Does no-one from Blizzard watch the Invitational or something?

I'm the rah rah/positive spin/defend the Blizz guy here, but both of these seasons (Spring/Summer) have been worse and less exciting than anything that happened with RTBC NA last year for me. The quality isn't improved, though we do get in studio production more often so I guess you get more decent quality. The delays, the lack of recognition, the lack of information.

A big part of my enjoyment of this game is the esports scene. I've grown my tastes and watch The Invitational and LCS/Worlds now and seeing those things versus what we get sometimes makes me bitter. If they keep fucking up like this, they will cause it to die (as we know it, anyway). That would be a huge fucking shame.

sobaka770

Banned
I'm the rah rah/positive spin/defend the Blizz guy here, but both of these seasons (Spring/Summer) have been worse and less exciting than anything that happened with RTBC NA last year for me. The quality isn't improved, though we do get in studio production more often so I guess you get more decent quality. The delays, the lack of recognition, the lack of information.

A big part of my enjoyment of this game is the esports scene. I've grown my tastes and watch The Invitational and LCS/Worlds now and seeing those things versus what we get sometimes makes me bitter. If they keep fucking up like this, they will cause it to die (as we know it, anyway). That would be a huge fucking shame.

Maybe someone can explain why does it take so long to set up a new game? Don't tell me it's the draft tool, that shouldn't be an issue to set up, don't tell me players need to talk, go to loo after every game because that's BS. Every single tournament apart from OGN has terrible cadence. No, even ZOTAC cup by Khaldor runs way smoother than any regional qualification by far with maybe a 10 minute break between games.

This game is just as short as SC2 and those guys stay in the booth for their best-of-fives or even best-of-sevens without any problems. iThere's maybe one larger break,but it's still shorter than anything in HotS. This is insane that after a full year of esports with huge prize pools the most basic things are not done properly.

It's no wonder nobody wants to watch this stream, even when the games are fun (and I think that they are), these games take up maybe 20-30% of screen time plus draft.

Btw, no offense to Gillyweed, it's nice of her to pick up the stream and do it probably unprepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom