• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be below 15% and it triggers. 16% wont, and going from 30% to 0% won't do it either. Have to cross the threshold.
thx
It procs when you hit the threschold described, pyro will kill you

Oh the KT was on our team.

It's the regular CD not on an internal separate right? So if I waste it, it won't proc until it is off CD again. And only when going from >15% to <14%. So say I'm at 14% HP and receive none lethal damage it still won't trigger. Is there any UI indicator for when you're below the threshold.

In the posted game I just couldn't afford healing myself and had to stick around low quite some time so that'd actually have been helpful.

how do I deal with Artanis. He seems to have shields for forever and does a ton of damage. And then he jumps around so much. :(

Disengage and walk away.

Dodge the swap and his dash (especially the slide back) and you're good. Unless your most of your team is present to help stun and burst down Artanis quickly, just ignore him. After swap there's not a whole lot he can do to lock anyone down. The number of times I've watched two or three low-health teammates try to focus down a low-health, late-game Artanis and lose, while letting someone else actually important with low health they could kill get away, is kind of maddening.

brian!

thx

Oh the KT was on our team.

It's the regular CD not on an internal separate right? So if I waste it, it won't proc until it is off CD again. And only when going from >15% to <14%. So say I'm at 14% HP and receive none lethal damage it still won't trigger. Is there any UI indicator for when you're below the threshold.

In the posted game I just couldn't afford healing myself and had to stick around low quite some time so that'd actually have been helpful.

Yeah just giving an example, burst will kill you. It has a separate cd i dont recall if theyve provided an icon for it yet. Itll auto trigger at that threschold once the cd comes back, think of it like raynor passive

depward

Is there an /s missing here?

Just for the record, there's rarely a need to ban morales and never ever sprout "focus morales" likes it's some form of gospel.

Yes she's squishy and she heals for a ton but she's rather easy to manage even at lower MMR. Even if you can't get to her a stun will interrupt her healing beam and give you time to burst down another target.

I'm in HL hell.

Rank 34? Or something.

And the amount of first ban Morales picks is maddening.

Yeah just giving an example, burst will kill you. It has a separate cd i dont recall if theyve provided an icon for it yet. Itll auto trigger at that threschold once the cd comes back, think of it like raynor passive

Wait so it procs even if the ability is on CD? The internal CD isn't really advertised anywhere I looked if that's the case

I'm in HL hell.

Rank 34? Or something.

And the amount of first ban Morales picks is maddening.

I feel you bro.

Zoia is calling it quits with HoTS applied to dayjobs again. Still wants to continue casting but not sure if HoTS.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop1gr

kirblar

Yeah, not a surprise. Many people competing for very few slots at events w/ Gilly/Dread basically auto-locked for everything for understandable reasons. Scene just isn't there yet.

brian!

yes, it's part of the point of the talent, you get double heal and double get out of jail free
it's why playing forward is part of being a gud tass

Ketch

This is totally uninformed and probably untrue and maybe somewhat mean, but every time I see Zoia talk about his friendship with gilly all I can think about is how majorly friend zoned he is.

This is totally uninformed and probably untrue and maybe somewhat mean, but every time I see Zoia talk about his friendship with gilly all I can think about is how majorly friend zoned he is.

Projecting. Never got that feeling.

yes, it's part of the point of the talent, you get double heal and double get out of jail free
it's why playing forward is part of being a gud tass
Ok so it's on a 45 sec CD, which it doesn't say when hovering over the ability, and I didn't notice a visual indicator. What do you mean by playing forward?

brian!

yeah blizz isnt super on top of things like that, check that little space where they put stuff like the focused attack indicator though
oh quick fix for the issues those two talents create, put them both at 16, adjust heal/speedup amount, increase cd

Projecting. Never got that feeling.

Ok so it's on a 45 sec CD, which it doesn't say when hovering over the ability, and I didn't notice a visual indicator. What do you mean by playing forward?

pseudo-aggressive positioning. If the enemy team turns to focus on you, its ok cause you have a get out of jail free card. Auto-heal up and get back out there. I'm a bit more cautious then that, but i've seen it done successfully. However i love playing against a tass that overextends. I do my best to punish the enemy team everytime.

brian!

yeah try to bait important cds, bring another body to confuse them on targeting, etc.
it confuses a lot of people since a lot of the time they get caught in the loop of oh tass shield is much more effective on his allies vs. oh I probably can't kill tass so I should hit the other guy vs. oh there's more targets and my brain is bad at processing that, plus it lets you zone harder with psi storm since you're dropping it in the middle of frontline and backline (and a lot of ppl have a hard time deciding whether they should just eat the psi-storm or run, it results in a funky dance they do sometimes it's kind of funny)

you dont really want to drop the shield on yourself in general but the cd is low and sometimes it messes w/ ppl that you're willing to do that, ppl who choose to focus you but see you shield yourself usually abandon that idea pretty quickly

yeah blizz isnt super on top of things like that, check that little space where they put stuff like the focused attack indicator though
oh quick fix for the issues those two talents create, put them both at 16, adjust heal/speedup amount, increase cd

It's weird when similar abilities get an indicator in the 1-4 slots just for that or overwrite the trait if possible. Johanna's indestructible for instance.

comparison said:
EC5iwxN.png
uQEc1vC.png
JSMx7P1.png

It's inconsistent.

pseudo-aggressive positioning. If the enemy team turns to focus on you, its ok cause you have a get out of jail free card. Auto-heal up and get back out there. I'm a bit more cautious then that, but i've seen it done successfully. However i love playing against a tass that overextends. I do my best to punish the enemy team everytime.

Ah thanks I've seen that in competitive but never had the luxury to try it out since I'm usually solo supporting with tass.

yeah try to bait important cds, bring another body to confuse them on targeting, etc.
it confuses a lot of people since a lot of the time they get caught in the loop of oh tass shield is much more effective on his allies vs. oh I probably can't kill tass so I should hit the other guy vs. oh there's more targets and my brain is bad at processing that, plus it lets you zone harder with psi storm since you're dropping it in the middle of frontline and backline (and a lot of ppl have a hard time deciding whether they should just eat the psi-storm or run, it results in a funky dance they do sometimes it's kind of funny)

you dont really want to drop the shield on yourself in general but the cd is low and sometimes it messes w/ ppl that you're willing to do that, ppl who choose to focus you but see you shield yourself usually abandon that idea pretty quickly

There's reluctance to do so but I had to to harass hammer alone in that game. Tass is tons of fun tho.

brian!

i kinda just chalk up all most of the wonkiness in the game to the engine because I don't know how any of that works
like maybe there is something about talents vs. skills that prevents them from doing that, i dunno, I've played enough tass to kinda get a feel for when it's on/off cd
also I had no idea indestructible was on a 2min cd
oh wait no I'm confusing it with her regular d skill

i dunno remember these are the ppl who just selectively nerfed a bunch of stun durations but left a couple alone, a lot of stuff isn't very thorough in this game

Probably, I'm so rarely playing tass that I struggle even just shielding some1 up every 5 seconds.

Also in regards to Zoia I'm surprised Jhow actually got recognition he was just there one day and got called back to events since. He was a relatively unknown caster doing amateur leagues IIRC.

kirblar

Probably, I'm so rarely playing tass that I struggle even just shielding some1 up every 5 seconds.

Also in regards to Zoia I'm surprised Jhow actually got recognition he was just there one day and got called back to events since. He was a relatively unknown caster doing amateur leagues IIRC.
Cause they their regulars. Cooby and Jester both bailed.

Alur

Zoia is calling it quits with HoTS applied to dayjobs again. Still wants to continue casting but not sure if HoTS.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop1gr

I 100% understand his reasoning. That said, people like him leaving are bad for this scene. It peaked at like 14k viewers in the NA regional from what I saw. Numbers are getting smaller not bigger. Big names are leaving, not coming. He got boxed out of what he wanted to do, but it's still sad all the way around.

Wish they'd just put THH back together at the least.

Also shocked he's almost 26.

Haha, I can see where you got that vibe. Gilly is married IIRC, however, so there was never a chance.

JHow has actually been pretty great. Not surprised he caught on once he got a chance.

That's kind of the thing more veteran esports people always said about HOTS back at the start...eventually players and personalities would come in and supplant the ones who built it or seemed "the best" at the time. We've seen it happen to some degree with Dread and JHow on the personality side...not so much on the pro side though. At least no one previously established coming into the game late.

Cause they their regulars. Cooby and Jester both bailed.
makes sense
I 100% understand his reasoning. That said, people like him leaving are bad for this scene. It peaked at like 14k viewers in the NA regional from what I saw. Numbers are getting smaller not bigger. Big names are leaving, not coming. He got boxed out of what he wanted to do, but it's still sad all the way around.

Wish they'd just put THH back together at the least.

Also shocked he's almost 26.

JHow has actually been pretty great. Not surprised he caught on once he got a chance.

Yeah, sad to see him go but he's been taking a step back for awhile now. Hots competitive is in a pretty sad state not sure anything they can do now. Best chance is still HoTD though I wouldn't entirely be surprised if that got supplanted by Overwatch next year.

That's kind of the thing more veteran esports people always said about HOTS back at the start...eventually players and personalities would come in and supplant the ones who built it or seemed "the best" at the time. We've seen it happen to some degree with Dread and JHow on the personality side...not so much on the pro side though. At least no one previously established coming into the game late.

Technically HoTD is doing that tho. The reigning champions are 2/5ths a college team.

Alur

Exactly.

An Agents of the Dorm next year seems like an inevitability doesn't it? That might be neat, actually, but since it's not F2P it may cause issues. Dunno.

HOTS esports is in a bit of a sad state indeed which sucks for me. That's my favorite part of the game now after 2+ years playing it. At least it's doing well otherwise.

If any of you guys play regularly and can deal with a newish player, PM me. I've been trying to get friends to try this game but nobody else will bite and diving into quickmatch solo is a real slog. I have been mostly playing Tyrande so far up to level 6 but trying out others heroes off and on.

Summary:
  • MVP Black will not be participating in the upcoming Power League. Our players are very tired and are in heavy need of a break. We apologize to the organizers, fans, and sponsors.
  • Our players will be frequently roleswapping in the upcoming Summer Global Championship. Please do not take it as disrepect towards our competition. Due to the monotony of playing only a few heroes all year long, some of our players have lost their drive recently. As their coach I have decided this change is necessary to help them rediscover their love for the game.
  • We again have a sister team: MVP Miracle. The roster is as follows: Cmoving, Sniper (former TNL), ttsst, Reset (former DsA), Darvish (former Hero). They will debut in the upcoming Power League. Please look forward to their play and support them.
  • No comment on the futures of TNL, DsA, and Team Hero: the teams should and will announce it themselves.
  • Our players do want to stay as Heroes of the Storm players, but their fears of the scene shrinking even further are very real. We wanted to draw much-needed attention to the precarious status quo of the scene, so made the 'MVP Black may switch to DotA 2' half-joke within this context. We are sorry for causing an outrage; we will be more careful in the future.
  • Both the players and I felt new hope after seeing the house full at the Superleague S2 Grand Finals. Big thanks to everyone

Not to blame Blizzard since the rate they've put out heroes has been consistent and impressive but speaking about sad state of the scene.

kirblar

Apparently Hammer + Medivh is hilarious on PTR cause she retains Siege Mode. So she just blasts everything while getting teleported all over the place.

Alur

Ouch. That MVP Black stuff is blunt af. Good on them.

Sounds like they are beginning to go through a bit of what C9 has been going through for a while now. It's lonely at the top. You puff yourself up and so does everyone else, and then eventually someone gets lucky or you fail to...and then you're in this position. For C9, I'm not sure how many of them really love playing the game to begin with which makes it harder. I dunno MVP's situation, but I can see their POV if they feel they conquered the scene and it's slowly dying anyway.

Ketch

After playing a shit ton of overwatch since it came out, the biggest thing that keeps me from coming back to HotS is the jankyness and... incohesiveness? (is that a word?) It's got a real identity and lack of direction problems.

Like compared to the polish of overwatch HotS is just so obviously cobbled together on top of a different game, there's a lot of bad technical issues that have persisted forever and then you add their conflicting design/balance philosophy on top of it and it's just too much.

Whenever I'm trying to choose to play either overwatch or heroes it's like do want to put up with all this bullshit for a chance at a decent match in a game I love, or do I just slide into overwatch and be having fun in like 2 minutes from now.

Pooya

One thing that keeps me from playing this game is that qm matchmaking takes way too freaking long! I'm not waiting 5 minutes to get a game, rip.

And yeah I agree, the visual design of this game is a mess. Too much fanservice too, I hope they keep the future skins in check in overwatch. It's fine right now.

I play more SCII than this these days, which is none, for an apparently daed gaem, I find a game in any mode in SCII in 5 seconds.

Milly79

Not to blame Blizzard since the rate they've put out heroes has been consistent and impressive but speaking about sad state of the scene.

Byebye have a nice tiem!

Btw Zoia said this: Oh man the things I am hearing. The potential biggest rosterpocalpyse to hit heroes is coming. PREPARE FOR THE MAD SHUFFLE PEOPLE.

Sounds kind of trolly

TNL has disband

Doom and gloom for hots. Pack it up. It's dead

It's telling that the only times the thread isn't dead is when we discuss how sad the esports scene is.

Am I correct in remembering you disliking ToD? Because he's casting Sweden.

Faye did a recap of Burbank and what stood out to me was

FayeHots said:
Timing was also a big reason losing cattle mega sucked and why I was upset. For time context; we were scrimming our usual times that night &#8211; scrim 5:00 &#8211; 7:00pm, hour break, scrim 8:00 &#8211; 10:00pm. During the break we had a sponsor meeting that went well and it was a potentially really good deal for us and everything sounded great. During the second scrim block cattle was late and then had to leave early. Not long after he left early he told us he was going to cloud9.

[...]

Naturally I was upset and talked about it on my stream later. According to Dunktrain on Townhall that was me being upset and leaking information early... which is not really true because no one from cloud9 told us not to say anything and why would we not talk about what's happening to our team. I have no hard feelings towards cattle, or most of cloud9, but I've been a bit miffed at dunk for saying I leaked something and him saying he was disappointed/expected more or whatever else he said.

Glau was shotcalling and drafting which is interesting in the sense that that was one of the common critiques of his. Among his predictability,
something bkb has to improve upon as well

Oh yeah and we completely neglected that monstrosity can now cap points and mercs. UE might actually not be the go to choice in 99.9% of the time anymore.

Milly79

That's how it's typically been since I've been here. How often have people really talked about what's going on in their games? Not often and that's an issue I've talked about with Alur. It's basically esports or hero design. I do think there has been a lull lately though with OW but new ranked will fix that.

Gotta remember, Twitch viewership isn't everything. There's plenty of people in game. Who cares how many are watching it aside from the tourneys? I don't. I find it funny when people claim it's dead because Twitch.

Blizzard isn't going to stop supporting the game anytime soon. I would says if it doesn't pan out in 3-4 years they'll do something. Have they ever canned a game that's up and running tho?

And yeah. Fuck ToD.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
One thing that keeps me from playing this game is that qm matchmaking takes way too freaking long! I'm not waiting 5 minutes to get a game, rip.

I have pretty much only played versus AI games up until a week ago, with the occasional QM’s here and there, and for both modes the queue times are not too bad. Versus AI’s games usually search for half a minute, QM’s a little bit longer. But I’ve played nothing but Hero League games this past week, and one of the biggest negatives I have from the experience is simply getting into a damn game. Queue time can be anywhere from 3 minutes to 8 minutes!!! And then once your in the game you all need to go through the picks and bans, and THEN the level loads up. While the match itself lasts anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes, actually taking the time to play one match takes anywhere from half an hour to 45 minutes sometimes. I could literally get in over half a dozen AI matches in that same timeframe. Sure the AI matches are steamrolls and not challenging at all but for strictly earning gold / xp / daily quests, the AI games are FAR more efficient.

And yeah by comparison Overwatch is a very smooth game to jump into, much more streamlined and satisfying to get into.

I’m actually enjoying the added challenge of Hero League gameplay, but man do I wish it was easier to just jump into and play.

Queue time can be anywhere from 3 minutes to 8 minutes!!!
I’m actually enjoying the added challenge of Hero League gameplay, but man do I wish it was easier to just jump into and play.

I wonder if the game is top heavy when it comes to MMR. My queue times are consistently 50-100 secs for both QM and HL, and i'm complaining when it hits 120. Only time I wait longer than 2 minutes is team league

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
hell yes fuck overwatch, game is trash, HotS is the game of forever.

Now now, Overwatch is an excellent game. That said though I won't be buying it. Even though I enjoyed all of my time in the OW beta, it's a very fun and polished game, I've decided that I can't devote the time to both OW and HotS, so I will be skipping OW and sticking with HotS. I just enjoy it more than OW.

If OW ever goes on a huge sale for dirt cheap I'll pick it up, but as a Blizzard game that isn't likely to happen for a very long time...

Ketch

My name is prosodium and I enjoy Heroes of the Storm.

Do I get salty sometimes? Sure. No more than any other competitive game though.

Does having a bad comp in QM suck? Sure. I can still do the best I can and get better.

Does the reconnect system suck? Sure. While it's frustrating, people get disconnected infrequently though.

Do people overstate their knowledge of game engines? Defiantly Kappa

Do people think that they have to like everything and every game? It sure seems like it.

Blizzard's doing a good job with steadily improving Heroes and listening to community feedback. They can't do everything at once and they can't please everyone. They were new/late entrants to the MOBA market and had to define a MVP to launch. I support that decision rather than waiting another year for them to launch on Jun 14 2016 with seasons and uncover all the issues and improvements that they've been working through.

I feel the same way about those things, I'm just tired of dealing with them at the moment, and it's a shame because the actual game is definitely one of my favorites of all time. At least for right now I just don't want to put up with the quirks to get to the good part.

Celegus

Anyone have a favorite duo to play together? I've been playing almost exclusively with my wife lately, so we can do some fun combos since communication isn't an issue. She vastly prefers support, and lately we've had great fun running Morales + Tychus. Stimmed minigun is a sight to behold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom