• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

My wife and I would be down for team league as well anytime I'm on.

Warcraft event would make sense with the expansion coming and Gul'Dan to kick it off, although weren't the next maps supposed to be StarCraft?

Ketch

played one unranked draft. lost because we had one stun against an all in illidan comp, even though we made a really good show of it, had a huge comback but then got wrecked by lvl 20 poly bomb and lost on one late game team fight.

The good thing was that nobody was super fucking toxic which was suprising to me, i wonder if it holds true for ranked draft.

Maybe an upside of lots of people going over to OW is that all the toxic douches went too?

Did the rewards for the preseason already go live?

Yes, I got credit for hitting rank 10 and got both mounts, which is pretty sweet because I was only rank 10 for like a week before dropping down.

Yes, I got credit for hitting rank 10 and got both mounts, which is pretty sweet because I was only rank 10 for like a week before dropping down.

Hmm, it didnt look like i got anything. I thought they said your scores before that first reset would count, as I hit like rank 16.

Alur

No rebroadcast of the games this morning?

Also, wow, Lightknite is unsilenced and in Hero League. Never thought I'd see the day.

EDIT: When do we get the splash screen for the tournament? Friday?

Alur

Played Medivh. Portals are weird, definitely need to turn off quick cast to use them...or at least I will. It doesn't go to max range like you'd expect, it goes precisely where you click. In a way that makes sense, but on the other hand you'd also assume you have positioned at the range you want it already? I dunno.

Owl form is slow af, but it's useful. Wave clear non-existent. W is good but hit or miss. Polybomb is actually pretty good cause of the low cooldown.

EDIT: Paging Familie. Glaurung on stream just now: "I hate playing Thrall dude, I'm so bad at him".

kirblar

You don't always want a max-range portal. That shouldn't be counter-intuitive.

EDIT: Paging Familie. Glaurung on stream just now: "I hate playing Thrall dude, I'm so bad at him".
That's because Thrall is a one-trick sunder pony who has to be super patient.
I'm not a fan of chromie at all. boring to play and semi useless most of the time.
Mobius Loop needs to be made default.

Alur

You don't always want a max-range portal. That shouldn't be counter-intuitive.

You don't always, but most of the time you do because it gives you the most leverage. That's also how most of the skills in this game work. They go max range. The only similar alternative I can think of is Anub's burrow that you end at a spot in the line...it's different in the portal in that you have to re-tap it, but still. Most things go their max distance when activated.

EDIT: also we need to teach you how to quote with the person's name/post # attached so it highlights lol

I'm not a fan of chromie at all. boring to play and semi useless most of the time.

Chromie is awesome, rocking a healthy 52% winrate with her over 30 or so games. Now only if it weren't for tracer.

Man I missed it and I even have the stream running in the background. Glad he learned his lesson.

That's because Thrall is a one-trick sunder pony who has to be super patient.

Mobius Loop needs to be made default.

He was relevant when Zag was, as a counter in lane but now Chen is an even better laner.

Mobius Loop default would hinder the oneshot build, which I'm not a fan of, but baseline it'd make her too good.

kirblar

You don't always, but most of the time you do because it gives you the most leverage. That's also how most of the skills in this game work. They go max range. The only similar alternative I can think of is Anub's burrow that you end at a spot in the line...it's different in the portal in that you have to re-tap it, but still. Most things go their max distance when activated.

EDIT: also we need to teach you how to quote with the person's name/post # attached so it highlights lol
That's too much work when multiquoting when editing cause you dont want to double post!

Alur

Zixz wasn't very good IMO. Tempo paving the way for the Dunktrain heel turn from C9 to TS. He's going full Doublelift.

I don't think it'd make her too good, not with her dumpster tier winrate and inherent design issues.

Isn't hotsgaf against winrates being the end all be all argument?

Chromies issue is that there are just too many counters for her in HoTS imo. I don't see inherent design issues with her, she's a fun hero with rewarding mechanics. Also not the most skill intensive.
Level 7 is a tradeoff tier that is hampered by HoTS incessant need for waveclear, mobius Loop combined with Dragon's Eye would be dumb.

Alur

I'm not against winrates being used. I find them valuable.

I just think certain heroes are obvious exceptions to that rule insofar as determining their relative power level. Some heroes just aren't going to be well used by a lot of randoms, but when coordinated they become godlike.

kirblar

Isn't hotsgaf against winrates being the end all be all argument?

Chromies issue is that there are just too many counters for her in HoTS imo. I don't see inherent design issues with her, she's a fun hero with rewarding mechanics. Also not the most skill intensive.
Level 7 is a tradeoff tier that is hampered by HoTS incessant need for waveclear, mobius Loop combined with Dragon's Eye would be dumb.
Yes. That doesn't mean that they're not useful when making a point (this point being: She came out bad and while better now, is still bad.)

Have Dragon's Eye increase the cooldown or something then. You can build her #s and other talents around a shorter W.
I just think certain heroes are obvious exceptions to that rule insofar as determining their relative power level. Some heroes just aren't going to be well used by a lot of randoms, but when coordinated they become godlike.
Muradin, Uther, and Nazeebo exemplify this- first two great in 5s, not 1-2s, opposite for Nazeebo.

Yes. That doesn't mean that they're not useful when making a point (this point being: She came out bad and while better now, is still bad.)

Have Dragon's Eye increase the cooldown or something then. You can build her #s and other talents around a shorter W.
That sounds more reasonable but that's basically just further retooling her numbers at that point. You have to be careful to not make her too spammy though. Bronze Talons already makes one spam the Q whenever possible when you aren't already Q'ing blindly for scouting.

The 7 tier just isn't exciting you're basically choosing between
  • waveclear talent
  • offensive talent
  • defensive talent
It needs more talents there, though transformative tiers are great for heroes and should be done more is there any hero they actually are even close to equal?

brian!

an inherent design criticism for chromie could be that it is very hard to adjust her w/o tipping over in one direction w/r/t how they built her kit and the way she plays
i feel like you could argue that she doesn't do enough damage (in the sense of why set her up instead of kael or li mang) but I haven't played her yet

Zackat

So they only had the eSports splash screen up there for one day, even though the group stages are running for the next few days? I guess it could be because they want people to see Medivh splash right away. They could have at least kept the arrow like they had yesterday.

Zackat

Reminds me of some stomps from Haunted Mines. Right when Sylvanas came out I think I won a lot of games with the first golem.

So are we finally gonna get Samuro along with Gul'dan? Or maybe they changed him to Grom?

kirblar

If Samuro, Gul'Dan and Varian really are 3/4 of the next 4 heroes, people are going to be siiiick of warcraft heroes for a while. (Since all 4 are WC3 or Legion/Movie connected)

Milly79

Samuro sounds so cool

And holy shit. Kenma came out and said "you can be the 3rd best team in NA and make less than minimum wage"

Just. Wow.

Alur

Grats man! No shame in pleb wolf. It's when you have no wolf at all that one should feel shame. trolololol

Not sure on this Medivh still. That movement speed is sooooooooo fuckin slow. Like you cannot afford to go to an off lane from your team because you'll never get back. He can change a team fight in a hurry, though.

scoobs

Samuro sounds so cool

And holy shit. Kenma came out and said "you can be the 3rd best team in NA and make less than minimum wage"

Just. Wow.

I mean what do you expect exactly? The money is only in the major tournaments and those are all won by asian teams, so everyone else has no way to make a living. The Heroes esports scene is basically only for those that are in it for the fun of it. Its not a job.

Didn't play any ranked, but wanted to test how Medivh would stack up against my mage play. I consider myself a more-than-competent KT. high win-rate, level 18, preseason rank 1 player, et cetera. I go HAM on ppl.

I have never felt more worthless to a team until I played against Medivh. I tried verdent spheres build. I tried convection build. Whatever I did, he just shielded his entire team. He practically laughed at my KT and took his lunch money. These are brand new Medivhs, it will be crazy once these people get even more experience.

I'm glad blizz didn't nerf KT, they just put an extremely hard counter into the meta. I don't think I need to ban KT every match anymore in ranked. I'm really excited.

Alur

Yeah, I was gonna say that earlier.

Went up against KT as Medivh. He went pyroblast for some unknown reason. LOL @ that ult each time he cast it. KT combo isn't a huge problem thanks to the shields. It's nice to see someone countering him hard that isn't a dive hero, to be honest.

kirblar

Grats man! No shame in pleb wolf. It's when you have no wolf at all that one should feel shame. trolololol

Not sure on this Medivh still. That movement speed is sooooooooo fuckin slow. Like you cannot afford to go to an off lane from your team because you'll never get back. He can change a team fight in a hurry, though.
Shame.
Shame.
Shame.

Kappa.

Is Medivh a must for TL right now then?

edit: Trikslyr thinks Chromie's in a good spot right now. *headexplodes*

Plenty shame in pleb wolf. I should have made rank 10 if I tried but frustration got the better of me.

edit: Trikslyr thinks Chromie's in a good spot right now. *headexplodes*

you realize that's the guy who mained murky and artanis and I'd argue she isn't in an awful spot.

Maledict

Medivh rocking a 24% win rate right now. Only 320 ish games played of course, but humorous none the less. From watching Grubbys videos it's clear he's capable of some really hilarious individual mechanical plays - but translating that into actual wins seems hard. You might just be better off with Tassadar in hero league.

scoobs

Medivh rocking a 24% win rate right now. Only 320 ish games played of course, but humorous none the less. From watching Grubbys videos it's clear he's capable of some really hilarious individual mechanical plays - but translating that into actual wins seems hard. You might just be better off with Tassadar in hero league.

I forgot he was even released. I haven't seen him in a single game yet. This is easily going to be top 3 least played hero, which is a shame for such an iconic character.

kirblar

you realize that's the guy who mained murky and artanis and I'd argue she isn't in an awful spot.
Yes, he's a low tier hero. If they buff Chromie, it moves her out of his range. ;)

The top comment from Reddit's accurate: she's only good against bad players w/ her current design.

Gotta feel bad for the other team there

0f72f58ea9ee3be8a514c9f2e4f27ef9.jpg

kirblar

TL and QM winrates will be the important metrics. That's about what people expected for HL.

Milly79

I mean what do you expect exactly? The money is only in the major tournaments and those are all won by asian teams, so everyone else has no way to make a living. The Heroes esports scene is basically only for those that are in it for the fun of it. Its not a job.

I didn't expect less than minimum wage, that's for sure.

And Wiz and his partner got the first grand masters in NA.

IceMarker

So I recently got back into this game and started playing some Quick Match this morning and played and won this 30-minute game and we get to the score screen aaaannnndddd no XP or Gold awarded. I have the replay and everything and I also couldn't queue for about a minute after the game ended, this happened to anyone else? What the fuck Blizzard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom