• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

Tried 5 support for the first time and it went surprisingly well. Only annoying thing was the Sylvanas that kept pushing and grabbing all the mercs.

Alur

Srey cri evry tiem

EDIT: My real question is where does this leave DatBoi McIntyre. He has hinted that he has an idea where he'd be and it was as melee (in that vlog he posted), but I'm at a loss as to what team that might be. No more Brain Power. Caff and k1pro teamed up with Glau. So who?

In other news, this is the best team Glau has been on since his run with Tempo Storm. They have top tier melee, ranged, and tank. The only questions here are how well they synergize and whether or not Matre and Prismaticism can reach that same level.

Why are you trying to make it sound like BP split for good bro

Flastad
GWuo0Ms.png

Milly79

The rosterpocalypse is finally over. Now we rebuild, stronger than ever.

Makes it sound like they're still sticking together tho...

Possibly but the "we" could just as well mean NA hots scene in general.
As mentioned before though McIntyre could fill the hole left by Glau, Glau mentioned today that he thinks Mc is better on Sonya than him.

Alur

If McIntyre joins whatever is left of Brain Power, that doesn't really cross me as a team that compete to be NA's best like he said he wanted. Then again I can't see any situation he can join now that would have a better chance than Crescendo/GFE/NVT.

In his vlog he could have been talking about trying out for Crescendo, I suppose. I am surprised they took Glaurung over Mac, but they are also more familiar with Glaurung.

Alur

The other players on BP have always been 3rd or 4th best or worse as well in their other incarnations. No reason to think they could really compete to be #1, IMO. Faye and co have always been promising also rans just like Glau was/is.

That's why it's surprising to me that they chose Glau over Mac. Mac has the bigger pool if it's required (and it's not like k1pro has a huge one from all we've seen at any rate).

On the flipside Glaurung has a far better Zeratul and that is more relevant than Mac's Kerrigan. And Glau is also much better at Kerrigan than Mac is at Zeratul. They both are iffy on Thrall IMO. Mac has the win on Sonya as Glau attested. Not sure I've seen either play Greymane on anything but stream, and that was mainly Glaurung.

They always had a let's try harder philosophy moreso than to try something different was probably the issue. BP/CoG shouldn't have been the team with the most stable roster. I believe by tyemselves every single member could have been part of a #1 team w/o a loss in quality. Naventic especially with Iakona.

It stands to argue that mac didn't get to practice his chosen role in the past month much so if they tried out both Glau might just have been stronger all around.

Alur

I could argue that if the only heroes I had to play were Rehgar and Kharazim (let's assume both were top tier in this hypothetical world) I could sub in and see little noticeable drop from Kenma. Really just about any pro support would be better, I agree on that.

As for Glau, I'm glad he's getting the chance. He's always been one of my favorites even if his teams are frustrating. I just don't know where it leaves Mac. Think he's once again on the outside looking in.

Depending on his expectations probably but there should be a team left among the free agents that stands a chance for an upset.
Once NVT falls apart he'll have another shot.

Oh yeah Gul'dan on PTR tuesday, back to back PTR is curious wonder if there's anything they really wanna test out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm not current on the state of the game - is the player base low enough that quick match is depopulated on the weekends? Been having trouble finding any games today.

Maledict

I'm not current on the state of the game - is the player base low enough that quick match is depopulated on the weekends? Been having trouble finding any games today.

Now the game has unranked draft, quick match times have gone up. Also, when you select a hero it should give you an indicator of how long the queue time will be.

Kai Dracon

Now the game has unranked draft, quick match times have gone up. Also, when you select a hero it should give you an indicator of how long the queue time will be.

Ok. Though a friend and I have had trouble finding unranked draft games as a group as well. We didn't have the same level of experience before the revamp. I've read there's some kind of squished stats transferred over from the previous MMR ratings that may be affecting group matching, not sure exactly how it works.

Alur

Yeah, the playerbase is not low so that's not the issue. Long queue times are typically a symptom of either very low mmr or very high mmr. Most of the playerbase is within the same ~1000 mmr range.

Maybe it was the heroes you were playing, or perhaps it was just unlucky. Highly recommend unranked though if you want to have an actual comp.

Kai Dracon

Yeah, I just did a few unranked draft and got instant games by myself. When a friend and I group as a duo, we get nothing. Before the new system, he had done ranked but I never had, so he has a different mmr rating I guess.

Alur

Might have had a big gap in between each of your own personal MMRs, that would cause it as well. Anyway, glad you figured it out!

Milly79

If you want more of a chance at an actual comp*

People troll pick and dodge like crazy compared to HL drafting. And God forbid you say anything cause then it's "bro it's just unranked". Yeah, I gets its fucking unranked but I'd like an actual comp without the HL toxicity.

Milly79

Caved and bought Medivh for 10k.

Got him in ARAM. I guess someone left in the lobby so it was 4v5. We get in, our Monk says he's AFKing. Our Tychus eventually quits, then they lose their KT.

Regardless, he's pretty damn fun.

Why caved, Medivh is amazing post buff. Adrd is spamming him lime crazy and getting like 80k damage per game.

Srey said:
Thoughts on Brain Power
My experience with Brain Power has been my favorite of any team that I've played with. Not only do I think it was the best team, but the team atmosphere was extremely healthy and fun, and I am extremely grateful to the team for picking me up on such short notice for the previous Regionals. No one took criticism personally, the drafting and shotcalling were great, and we were all on the same page as a team. That is what makes the dissolution of Brain Power all the more saddening.

These last few weeks we have been looking stronger than ever, having extremely positive scrim results vs every team. I don't have any hesitation in saying that I think that we would have been very strong contestants for 1st or 2nd in the next Regionals. Even so, we still dissolved. One player leaving isn't enough cause for us to disband, but it was actually two players that decided to leave. We felt that looking for new opportunities as individuals would be the better option for us rather than trying to salvage the team, even though we were going to receive contracts for a sponsorship this week.

In regards to the future of the remaining players, nothing is set in stone. We're each looking for new opportunities, although this may (hopefully) lead us to crossing paths on new teams. I am extremely grateful to have played with each and every player on the team and I wish them all nothing but the best in the future. Rosters need to be locked in by July 7th, so there is a lot of work to do with very little time, but I've never been more motivated. Lastly, a big thank you to all the fans that stuck by me and Brain Power throughout our journey, you're support means the world.

~Srey

So did Cattle take a warrior spot again? Or is it iakona. No one is saying anything on twitter and they pretty much left it to srey to say anything

Ken

where should i go for hero guides.

i've been using icy veins stuff but want to see other stuff too.

i looked at tempostorm but their artanis guide is from oct 2015 and heroesfire but then i recall they had a bad reputation from using mobafire LoL guides

Milly79

I guess because I've seen Chu playing him often and he looked hella fun.

And Mewn getting blown up on Reddit/Twitter after a fight with Lightknight. :lol

And I'm not sure if there is a site with updated guides. I'd just check HotsLogs for builds.

Alur

HeroesFire is fine if the guide is updated to at least the last patch that hero was buffed/nerfed in. Those guides (as well as IcyVeins and Tempo Storm guides) are more about in depth stuff though. Don't really need em if you just want builds.

Like Milly said, though, the most accurate up-to-the-minute depiction of what builds people are using is on hotslogs under hero details. You can even sort it for the league you're playing in.

Maledict

So from everything I'm reading Overwatch competitive mode has turned out to be absolutely terrible. At the same time, pro-teams are starting to use bizarre strats like 5*Tracer in games which makes for terrible viewing. It's interesting because going into Overwatch it felt like that had learnt a lot from HotS in making their game, but now HotS has a really good ranked system and everyone hates Overwatch.

On a side note - played Leoric yesterday, I had forgotten how much fun he is. The new build seems to take the extra healing on his wraith grasp at 4 rather than the reduced damage but otherwise it's the same build as usual. Still feels fragile, and his level 1 globe talent is freaking terrible now - hope it gets a slight buff tomorrow. I was level 22 on cursed hollow by the time I finished the quest, and then didn't die for the remainder of the game...

kirblar

I'm at a 1000 words so far. God bless focalin and being up all night cause I was sleeping all day because Aspartame is a gassy gassy devil.
So from everything I'm reading Overwatch competitive mode has turned out to be absolutely terrible. At the same time, pro-teams are starting to use bizarre strats like 5*Tracer in games which makes for terrible viewing. It's interesting because going into Overwatch it felt like that had learnt a lot from HotS in making their game, but now HotS has a really good ranked system and everyone hates Overwatch.
I thought they were legend-ruling in competitive?

Maledict

Dunno, I don't watch Overwatch at all because I find it incomprehensible, just what my addicted team mates are telling me.

And really looking forward to the essay kirblar!

Alur

The only context I have of Overwatch is from Overwatchers (Garret from ITN's OW podcast) and THO (Jake's podcast). The THO guys said it was a big upgrade over the beta version of competitive and they liked it. The 3 people on Overwatchers were split on how it went for them. I do know that there are a lot of folks bunched in the middle and it's causing some lopsided matches, but depending on who you ask/listen to it's a big issue or not. The internet in a nutshell. /shrug. Blizz did say they were going iterate on it as they went, though, so who knows.

I've seen quite a bit complaining about new HOTS ranked. Just as much as I saw about the old once draft was in, what with the Grindmaster(TM) and all. I (personally) feel it's an improvement for us, I guess, not sure about for the top dogs.

Where's the teaser at

What teaser

Maledict

I think the final thing that needs doing for hots ranked insofar blizzard to stop fucking around at the top levels and just display MMR and have your grand master position decided by that. It doesn't matter for most people, but it's silly that people can get to grandmaster on low mmr just because of the way the system works.

The number 1 grand master for each region should be he highest mmr player in that region, and likewise down the ladder.

Alur

Agreed. They should go full blown MMR for those 500 people. They'd have to institute some kind of decaying process greater than what they have now, though, cause some of these guys have accounts they don't even play (or are people who don't play anymore) that have stratospheric MMR.

Maledict

It's done. It's also 2486 words and 14K characters. Not gonna work as a direct Reddit post. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vVoUQ9S-ZHEhIaqsVOEpGVcg6NquV7eOfGxv_CLr0_8/edit?usp=sharing

Really good read, thanks for putting it down. I agree with basically everything you are saying, but my only points would be:

1) if the game is to have healers, we need a lot more right now. We have 6 compared to a billions tanks and assassins. We need a splurge of healers similar to what they did with warriors last year.

2) tyrande would need a substantial healing nerf, not just minor adjustments. I solo heal with her quite often and it works okay. She's not in the same boat as tassadar where he almost always can't work solo. For example, she's a better support for Illidan than Malf / Lili / Medic, as her heal post 13 is one of the largest in the game and she can spam it with the owl throwing and battle momentum.

Cheers for posting - what do you plan on doing with it?

Maledict

Any sick plays / top hero damage of note?

I want to try Medivh+Butcher

We ran into a team trying this in unranked draft. It completely failed to work despite the medivh + hutcher being grouped. Might just have been bad play, but it felt like the lack of cleanse meant that the usual CC train happened on butcher wen he went in and that was enough to kill him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom