• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milly79

They needed to do something in order to make non-deathball a thing again as the PvE soak-style approach from the OG days got hurt w/ the scaling changes.

I just worry that this is going to go too far and would have preferred them starting more incremental.

This is what I fear as well. At least they're better about listening and updating rather than letting it go for months on end (Tyrande, stun days).

Alur

I just worry that this is going to go too far and would have preferred them starting more incremental.

This is what I fear as well. At least they're better about listening and updating rather than letting it go for months on end (Tyrande, stun days).

I'm with you both. I mean they give us this open door to feedback on the support/well/regen changes...and then just drop this shit out of the blue. Like WTF? lol

As you said, though, at least they are pretty quick with hotfixes and patches now so if it sucks bad it won't be that way for months like perhaps we would have seen this time last year.

For game-wide changes like this I wish they would legitimate try things out on the PTR. Gather some data and feedback, rather than trying it for a week and pushing it to live.

Milly79

Idk, there's some good debating on there, but it's either they agree with you or they don't. And the voting system is dumb. Way better than the official forums and there's really no where else to go.

I still think Bioware's website was (still is?) inarguably the worst, I mean someone tried to come up with the chemical formula for what Asari sweat tasted like.

Zackat

so it's got time to change, they've been changing stuff during ptr lately. they could adjust numbers or the lock on thing.

more likely is that they are going to just fix game breaking bugs and push it out as is.

This is a huge patch though for a 1 week PTR. Kind of crazy really.

Milly79

I still think Bioware's website was (still is?) inarguably the worst, I mean someone tried to come up with the chemical formula for what Asari sweat tasted like.

I remember hearing about that somewhere... Awful.

so it's got time to change, they've been changing stuff during ptr lately. they could adjust numbers or the lock on thing.

This is true.

I just did one game. Didn't really seem to make a difference one we got to core, but damn if Aba/Az pushing a lane didn't suck ass now. Keeps dropped so quickly.

I'm glad I can play Azmo without stacking now. It's worlds better and he does good damage.

Ketch

more likely is that they are going to just fix game breaking bugs and push it out as is.

This is a huge patch though for a 1 week PTR. Kind of crazy really.

I wouldn't be surprised if they messed with the numbers (like maybe made catapults do a little less damage or something)

Maledict

I remember hearing about that somewhere... Awful.

This is true.

I just did one game. Didn't really seem to make a difference one we got to core, but damn if Aba/Az pushing a lane didn't suck ass now. Keeps dropped so quickly.

I'm glad I can play Azmo without stacking now. It's worlds better and he does good damage.

Yep, I love being able to play Azmodan solo again. I am concerned moving March of Sin to 7 really hurts him though, as his 13 talents are garbage without it. Always feels like Azmodans base kit is garbage and that he needs talents to make it work (hardly feels like Globe is worth casting if you don't talent into it, and laser without movement is just...bad).

Stacking via kills is definitely nerfed btw. The drop in time limit is really noticeable (you can't instantly auto-attack to get a couple of extra kills in), and the removal of the DoT at 7 means you don't get the extra kills from that on low health minions either.

Is it possible to run a globe build with the level 7 promote talent btw? I think that talent will be insane now with these changes, but the globe talent makes the spell *so* much better to use I can't imagine not taking it.

Alur

This interview with King Caffeine on Yahoo esports actually had some good info: https://esports.yahoo.com/building-the-cresendo-an-interview-with-kingcaffeine-192608284.html

Some of my favorites were the shots fired at Kenma:

aPm is really good mechanically and he’s also the most aggressive support I’ve played with that knows his limits. He does the Kenma thing where he’s always biting in on wolf except he always gets out…unlike Kenma.

On retiring:

I never considered retiring. I know I’m still the best tank in the region and I have the potential to be the best tank in the world.

And why they sucked so hard at Burbank regional before the disbanding:

Both Naventic and Gale Force recognized we weren’t doing well internally and refused to scrim us [Cloud9] for the month leading up to the last qualifier. We could only scrim Brain Power and they learned all our drafts including our preference for Anub’arak, which is why you see they first picked it every game.

Maledict

I haven't taken that talent in a long time. I personally like the mana reduction.

That talent is easily the dullest level 13 in the game. Can't believe they look at that and think 'this is fine'. Flat mana reduction talents are early game picks darn it!

(They could at least put the dot back on globe at this level).

They needed to do something in order to make non-deathball a thing again as the PvE soak-style approach from the OG days got hurt w/ the scaling changes.

lines up with my line of thinking, overall its a needed change but the numbers seem off.

brian!

An excellent way to forward lane management along w/ this change is to make the maps a bit bigger since this game has mounts.

Or slow mount speed i guess

Ofc the end result should be stricter lane assignments (unsafe scalers, pushers in short lane, scalers paired with babysitters, etc.), where skillful laning nets you real rewards

kirblar

An excellent way to forward lane management along w/ this change is to make the maps a bit bigger since this game has mounts.
Lots of maps are already big tho?

I think one thing they didn't like was that pushing a lane out incrementally was really bad. Either insta clearing it or sitting on a mount/bush were good. That was not.

brian!

Lots of maps are already big tho?

I think one thing they didn't like was that pushing a lane out incrementally was really bad. Either insta clearing it or sitting on a mount/bush were good. That was not.

Yeah, that, merc timing (here prtty much always revolving around obj timers either during or right after), and holding waves back after a fort is down to deny exp. are kind of the only nuances w/r/t lane management atm. There are big maps but what im getting at is the ease of going from lane to lane and how easy it is to pinpoint where enemies are even if u dont have vision. Oh and another thing; exp range is fucking huge in this game, it could do w/ a reduction

So basically if you are prevented from instaclearing a wave, ganking, then coming back as the next wave hits, it's a reasonable nerf to waveclear during laning. Ofc you still have the instaclear -> rotate to objective but that should prob stick around

brian!

Yeah im mainly fantasizing what the game will look like in a year (lane assignments, real individual scaling, more focused roles, all the gud stuff)

Maledict

Yeah im mainly fantasizing what the game will look like in a year (lane assignments, real individual scaling, more focused roles, all the gud stuff)

I'm not sure some of us would consider that "gud stuff". Whilst I like the adde depth this change brings, I never want the game to have formal lane assignments like say LoL does.

brian!

Well by lane assignments i mean thought put into who goes into what lane, which already happens to a degree. The minion change already will affect this (solo uther/bw less effective, solo assassins lose a lot more if they get got now, and so on). Tbh most ppl just willfully ignore this stuff atm. None of it is mandatory, just strategic and optimal.

Another noteworthy thing: currently it is optimal to do one of two things at the beginning of the game on more standardish maps, group as 5 to clear a mid wave and disperse/rotate or group as 5 and push a lane down, but again this catches on very slowly (decent amnt of my games when i played more regularly had this though). This again is due to the ease in which you can go from lane to lane

Another noteworthy thing: currently it is optimal to do one of two things at the beginning of the game on more standardish maps, group as 5 to clear a mid wave and disperse/rotate or group as 5 and push a lane down, but again this catches on very slowly (decent amnt of my games when i played more regularly had this though). This again is due to the ease in which you can go from lane to lane

yup, i don't really remember when people started doing this but it caught me off guard when it started to be every game people in chat getting upset when i stand infront of a gate for a lane that isn't mid.

really not a fan of the group as 5 to get an early gank because it very often goes the other way and thus begins the shitstorm of toxic behavior for the rest of the match. id just prefer the easily-ganked heroes buddy up and anyone who can hold their own takes a lane by themselves. then, depending on how hard each lane is being pushed, ganks can start to happen.

brian!

Yeah it's really just the most optimal thing due to how much this game is a numbers game and outplay potential is low, so 5vX is always the safest, if the lanes were farther apart (i really mean this as shorthand for if lanes werent so easy to travel between so quickly) ppl would have to show up at lanes at the beginning of the game.

A lot of ppl still just sit around at the beginning of the game too, or sit around their lane after they clear a wave

Also random thought on uther: i like that they are trying to get him tankier since he's a melee and stun puts you in that range, but one of the best things he can do on early objectives/fights is to die.

Alur

Man you guys me and protonium carried this shit Greymane through 6 straight games on PTR. Just kept getting him in our group. It was awful but we pulled through to win 6 in a row.

He was so bad he kept killing all the enemies before I could stack my Q on them as Gul'dan. Just plain disrespekful.

Milly79

Man you guys me and protonium carried this shit Greymane through 6 straight games on PTR. Just kept getting him in our group. It was awful but we pulled through to win 6 in a row.

He was so bad he kept killing all the enemies before I could stack my Q on them as Gul'dan. Just plain disrespekful.

ywpPHgu.gif

brian!

Split Push Vikings w/ Bribe/Merc Lord are going to be the most toxic thing ever lol

yeah I was thinking about this when I was reading the patch, but I mean conversely he loses more when he gets picked off now early on. then again a lot of ppl just do 2 vikings one lane and 1 in another

kirblar

yeah I was thinking about this when I was reading the patch, but I mean conversely he loses more when he gets picked off now early on. then again a lot of ppl just do 2 vikings one lane and 1 in another
Yeah, you just do 3 between two lanes and let your team go ham in the third.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom