• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah just read, wtf? Just a month ago they picked up an all female team and now they bow out?! Wonder if mYi just got shit on in scrims or something.

Edit: apparently it was an parting by both parties.

Alur

That's good. Was kinda worrying at first.

The dude in the reddit thread suggesting pros know about an LCS style system for next year is getting a lot of hopes up. Probably just blowing smoke, but it would be fucking awesome and do a lot for the esports side IMO.

scoobs

The dude in the reddit thread suggesting pros know about an LCS style system for next year is getting a lot of hopes up. Probably just blowing smoke, but it would be fucking awesome and do a lot for the esports side IMO.
In order for eSports to really take off it has to do an LCS system to support the teams. Just isn't any way to support the non-Korean teams and the top of the top guys in euro/US.

Zackat

If they could get all their games under one banner for LCS things I think it would be good. Blizzard has enough games that they could just form a Blizzard Championship Series (BCS Kappa) that goes around and has all their games at the same places for the Summer/Spring/Winter/Fall championships. It would give exposure for everything, and Blizzcon could just be the superbowl of that.

I am talking out of my butt, but it would be cool.

Alur

BCS, lol, that was a good pun that is also a good name. They really could, though.

I don't think it's a huge stretch to think that they'll have a league type system for OW next year, based on it's success as a game and growing success as an esport, plus the fact that it's already getting a trial run on TBS this fall. Maybe not LCS style exactly, but there are so many tournaments going on constantly that I feel like they'd be silly not to do an officially sanctioned one that they could control that is the cream of the crop.

If they did the same with Heroes of the Storm, they really could have a "finals" event for spring and summer like LCS where all those games come together, sell tickets, etc etc. Like mini-Blizzcons where they could even show off stuff they are working on. Then a fall competition leading into Blizzcon, the Superbowl.

I honestly think it would be lucrative for them to do it all on their own, or at least only their own games. IMO only Nintendo rivals Blizzard for fan loyalty across many franchises, and people fall all over themselves to get to Blizzcon or watch on digital ticket. Having more opportunities to interact with devs/watch pros/etc would seem to be a good thing to me...but I'm not them of course.

Zackat

If they have it for OW I don't see why they couldn't do it for everyone. It would benefit all of their games to have a legit league circuit. Sponsors would probably feel a lot better about something handled in house, as well. Potential teams and stuff would probably get more input, though I am sure they already do to some extent. Seems like a win-win to me and something they should seriously consider.

Alur

Sponsors would definitely feel more comfortable.

The worst thing about HOTS esports now is how fucking willy nilly it is. We found out way too much stuff short notice this year. Shouldn't be any reason that they can't plan out dates - at least tentatively - and have them ready to go from the beginning of the year. These events they use as springboards for regionals and stuff don't just spring up in a month, after all. They are scheduled well in advance.

Zackat

I have missed several events this year and only caught them by checking this thread and seeing you guys talking about them lol. And I am particularly plugged in.

Falstad:"But but we need a real healer! You can't go water dragon! Wo-wow if only we had a real healer! OMG!"

1hda7EA.jpg

Breezylimbo. I think you've been in my games a few times.

Water Dragon Li li is sick. Utterly wrecks greymane.

Whats your ID? When you get in Diamond you start seeing alotta familiar faces.

And yeah, Water Lili wrecks dive comps. I got that high damage because between them grouping, and doing the cloud dragon build so that a bunch of attacks bounce around, I managed to out damage everyone @_@

And yeah, Water Lili wrecks dive comps. I got that high damage because between them grouping, and doing the cloud dragon build so that a bunch of attacks bounce around, I managed to out damage everyone @_@

What healing talents did you take? Pro Toss or Two For One?

What healing talents did you take? Pro Toss or Two For One?

Uh

I took the one that gives you a dragon when you cast it on someone else.

My build was:
Timeless Creature
Mending Serpent
Lightning Serpent
Water Dragon
Shrink Ray
Serpent Sidekick
Double Dragon

The dragon provides healing for whoever you put it on, lightning helps you in team fights, sidekick helps heal yourself, the person you put it on(usually tank, but otherwise it gives you 3 sources of healing including your Q), and increases the damage in teamfights by a significant amount(Allowing her to outdamage other supports quite easily.)

Dementia. currently diamond 2

Alur

It is weird. I feel like it has to be doing well financially, though I guess it would be dwarfed by a game with 10 million plus players post launch and another game that has been insanely popular for a few years now and generates an expansion and then an adventure every few months.

I like how they say MLG's reach on Facebook has increased. Dat astroturfing.

brian!

a league would prob get me back into this game

or more realistically ill keep sticking to just watching but w/ actual stuff to watch now

Damn, pally's GF had a miscarriage.

It's kinda weird how critique makes so many of the few personalities HotS has be so detailed with their personal life when they respond. Maybe that comes from relinquishing so much privacy for their job already but that's reason to hold personal life all the closer.

Alavard

So, I stumbled upon this thread on GAF, Report: Blizzard Releasing StarCraft HD in September.

Knowing what we know from "that guy's" predictions of 2 (?) StarCraft maps coming to the Nexus, I think we're going to see them SOON TM!

I hope so. This game needs announcements of like... anything at this point that isn't just the next hero or two.

It was fine when we had the ranked rework, as that was clearly a big chunk of development, and even the unranked draft mode to a lesser extent. But the only thing we know Blizz is working on is Arena mode, and that could be a long ways away, with that discussion of changing it to be more like a 'brawl' mode. That, and the potential HOTS league.

Alur

Knowing what we know from "that guy's" predictions of 2 (?) StarCraft maps coming to the Nexus, I think we're going to see them SOON TM!

That'd be sweet. I had forgotten, but I guess it is surprising we haven't seen a new map since Towers of Doom early last winter right?

I hope so. This game needs announcements of like... anything at this point that isn't just the next hero or two.

Agreed. It just feels stagnant.

Game is still fun. New heroes still arriving is good. But it's sort of like they worked so hard on pushing out the ranked revamp that they had to take a step back and chill for a bit. Now that season one is nearing a close, it's time to give us some meat again IMO.

Maledict

Just wanted to say the reworked Zagara is a thing of beauty. Honestly think it's the best rework ever. She maybe two or three talents that aren't viable, and she feels amazing. Love spreading the creep everywhere - although it does feel like every hero comes with a way to get rid of it now.

Blizzard is probably really happy they launched HOTS when they did (even though they launched it a year too soon) and learned what they did from it about team e-sports so that they could properly support Overwatch, which was always going to be the more popular game given its multiplatform launch and genre. If anything, HOTS's return value to them in terms of E-sport support will be justified if they manage to not fuck anything up with Overwatch because of the lessons they've learned.

The game cannot grow its viewership until they do a league system. The top NA teams haven't competed in the same tournament since the last regional where GFE qualified for the global championship. That was literally two full months ago from today.

The lack of league system manages to function in DOTA because of how much hype is built around The International. The insane number of dollars for that tournament alone brings in viewership and justifies sponsor effort which then trickles out and spreads awareness to the rest of the year-round majors; even prior to Valve's introduction of their official sponsored majors this year there were enough other tournaments with most/all of the top teams to keep hardcore fans entertained year round.

Yet DOTA still "suffers" from massive and random roster shifts between majors and one could argue that it's not necessarily healthy and hurts the game's ability to compete with League. Fans of DOTA are more attached to individual players and countries as a result of how things work, rather than sponsor brands.

Heroes doesn't have any of that, and needs to start at the bottom with a league format to build stability for sponsors and consistently engage fans. Two month breaks between regional qualifiers is not enough to build any casual fan attachment, and it's asinine that they ever thought that it was.

Alur

While I'm looking forward to new maps too, I don't get why that makes the existing game stale? Some people might just be fatigued in general. I mean, the other MOBAs only get new/reworked heroes and seasonal/themed events, like Heroes, and people play the shit out of them. Heroes already has ~double the number of maps than either leading MOBA.

The game is stale IMO because of the path they've taken post ranked (technically it goes pre-ranked, I believe).

Almost every new hero has been either undertuned or not exactly viable for solo queuing due to the way that heroes kit works. Since solo queue is how many people play, it's basically like we got nothing to play with.

Since March, Xul and Tracer have been solo viable. Dehaka and Medivh, while fun, require a good amount of coordination and are very risky in solo queue. Chromie is Chromie, and at launch she might as well have been a polished turd. Now she's feast or famine, but still not someone you want to blind queue/instalock as a reliable pick. Ditto for Gul'dan, who was at least fun, but still needs some work. He can at least follow the Greymane/Lunara path in the near future, hopefully. Prior to that we did get Li-Ming (who was OP), Greymane (who eventually became OP), Lunara (who eventually became good), but even counting back to last year with Lunara we've had exactly two heroes who launched who were solo queue viable from day one. Greymane kinda is, I guess, and Lunara is now, for sure, but they were also in the dumpster for a bit until they received buffs and/or people learned how to play them. If you go back further, it's even scarier at the lack of viable soloing options.

Outside of heroes, we got the new ranked mode which is cool, but there's literally no carrot dangling anymore. We know maps are coming but not when. We know arena is supposed to come but haven't heard anything else about it.

Then we get to competitive and it's like Turdburger said below:

The game cannot grow its viewership until they do a league system. The top NA teams haven't competed in the same tournament since the last regional where GFE qualified for the global championship. That was literally two full months ago from today.

There's just not much happening and when it does it's not even matchups that contain the top teams for weeks at a time. Even these regionals, like the one going on now, won't culminate into anything until freaking November. Three gat damn months from now whoever qualifies this weekend will finally play. One EU team is already qualified for Blizzcon. Teams in this esport don't even stay together a month, sometimes, let alone that long. Who knows WTF could happen between now and then.

There's no doubt part of me feeling it is stagnant is my own burn out with the game due to having to solo queue more now (and playing it for 2 and a half years at this point). Part of it is also because my role has been basically neglected for a whole year, but it's not like I'm the only one feeling this way. This thread has been at a standstill for a bit now. Reddit has slowed down greatly to my eyes. They just need to give us a carrot and something to talk and be excited about beyond the next hero leak.

If anything, HOTS's return value to them in terms of E-sport support will be justified if they manage to not fuck anything up with Overwatch because of the lessons they've learned.

that's true a bunch of times with OW, you got the idea, they learned not to do xyz from HotS.

Kind of felt this way from the start, even when I wasn't playing OW. I'm fine with HOTS being the launchpad and testing ground for what happens in OW, so long as they keep pushing HOTS along as they have (or preferably, at a higher clip).

I want to watch this tournament but I don't know what any hero does anymore since they keep changing everything every patch and I don't actively play the game anymore

The nice thing about League/DOTA/items is that items generally don't change outside of their price or minor number adjustments... you always know what a Dagon is. Meanwhile Kael'Thas gets a new kit each HOTS patch. Imagine if they changed a bunch of items so radically in DOTA every patch. People would go apeshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom