• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alavard

I alt F4'ed out of a placement match today because we first picked Gul'Dan and Chromie.

Ouch!

I had one the other day that went the other way. Went to unranked with a 5-man stack and the other team (obviously also a 5-man) didn't bother drafting a support. I know it was only unranked, but still, they didn't put up much of a fight.

Maledict

Ahh don't do this, I hate when people dodge.

Sorry but no. When my team mates are ignoring the discussion completely and drafting two truly terrible heroes without any reasoning or commentary I'm leaving the game. I'm not pissing away 25 minutes of my time in a horribly unfun match because some people are selfish and dumb.

Unranked draft is there for people who have to play a specific character in a team setting.

scoobs

Sorry but no. When my team mates are ignoring the discussion completely and drafting two truly terrible heroes without any reasoning or commentary I'm leaving the game. I'm not pissing away 25 minutes of my time in a horribly unfun match because some people are selfish and dumb.

Unranked draft is there for people who have to play a specific character in a team setting.
What if they were the worlds greatest chromie and guldan though?

Maledict

What if they were the worlds greatest chromie and guldan though?

Then they should speak. Chat wasn't horrible at all, they pre-showed their picks - and say didn't say a word. I'm more than happy to go outside the meta but not when people don't say a word with picks like that. You don't pick two of the worst heroes in the game, over your team mates queries, without saying a word.

Bearing in mind I'm in the EU so there's a decent chance they were Russian players. And those matches are very often extremely unfun.

Pilgrimzero

Watching a couple of videos it seems teams are supposed to stick together.

Of the few games I've played in QP, I have yet to see this from either side.

Altairre

Watching a couple of videos it seems teams are supposed to stick together.

Of the few games I've played in QP, I have yet to see this from either side.

If you just started out you're going to play with people who know absolutely nothing about this game and they're playing their own version where they'll run off and do whatever the fuck they want (it'll end with them dying for the most part). Get used to it. It still happens to people who are pretty good and have a decent mmr. QM is complete chaos, which has its own appeal at times but it can also be frustrating as fuck.

Maledict

The number 1 issue with teams losing, even at the high end of play in hero league, is people not sticking together. Almost all my losses boil down to two things:

1) Early feeding which gives a big headstart which we never recover from

or

2) People not sticking together as a team, which results in pick-offs, which results in snowball deaths which then loses you the game.

Later on, even if you are a solo god you should still be with your team 99% of the time. Split pushing something down is rarely worth it if your team loses without you, and at most levels of play your team won't have the skill or co-ordination to hold off a fight with only 4 people.

(Number 3 BTW is merc obsession. People's obsession with mercs is just... frustrating).

Alavard

The number 1 issue with teams losing, even at the high end of play in hero league, is people not sticking together. Almost all my losses boil down to two things:

1) Early feeding which gives a big headstart which we never recover from

or

2) People not sticking together as a team, which results in pick-offs, which results in snowball deaths which then loses you the game.

Later on, even if you are a solo god you should still be with your team 99% of the time. Split pushing something down is rarely worth it if your team loses without you, and at most levels of play your team won't have the skill or co-ordination to hold off a fight with only 4 people.

(Number 3 BTW is merc obsession. People's obsession with mercs is just... frustrating).

I find missing xp is one of the biggest ones. Early on, if you're fighting and not in lane, it better be for a good reason.

brian!

Bak in my day...ppl were pretty averse to doing correct things w/ the biggest offenders being an unwillingness to act in advantageous situations/playing scared and being really hung up on map objectives (i guess this can be filed under "ignored the existence of xp")

W/r/t not sticking together id prob file it under "picking bad fights" and "no map awareness", but sometimes it does feel like u gotta merge like a ratking to win i guess

Maledict

So after some days what is the verdict on Auriel ?

I think she's brilliant. We keep doing quickmatches with her and Cho'Gall which is just hilarious. By the end of my match last night my heal was hitting for 3200 health...

In win terms she's actually settled at 52% which is very decent for a healer.

I'm actually having the most fun playing warriors right now, specifically Tyrael and Leoric. Their kits are so fucking good.
Can there be a better moment of bliss than entombing a hero they've taken blink away from? Honestly that ult is outright broken with the shit people draft.

Josh5890

I just had a weird moment in the game. After playing a few games as Rayner versus the ai, and then I went to change characters but the game wouldn't let me start a new game. I tried a bunch of characters but it didn't do anything when I hit ready. Finally I turned off the game and restarted and the game worked but it felt weird. Anyone else run into that?

kirblar

I think she's brilliant. We keep doing quickmatches with her and Cho'Gall which is just hilarious. By the end of my match last night my heal was hitting for 3200 health...

In win terms she's actually settled at 52% which is very decent for a healer.
What's your goto CG build?

Maledict

I don't have the calculator to hand but usually:

Damage at 1
Size of sweep at 4
Damage taken to your beacon target gives you energy at 7
Stasis at 10
Sweep blinds at 13
Stacking heal at 16
Shield team for their missing health at 20

At level 1 you can also go the sweep cooldown or the speed of sweep - both are awesome and have uses. At 16 you can also go the attack speed or ability damage, depending upon your team. The mandatory tiers seem to be 4 (size of sweep), damage taken is energy at 7 and the blind at 13. I usually go damage because it's easier and I like quest talents (and damage is heals!), but the faster cast is probably best at higher levels as it makes you much more mobile.

(If playing with cho'gall I sometimes take the lower cooldown on heals at 7 because he fills your energy bar THAT fast sometimes).

She pairs well with anyone putting out large damage numbers reliably - Cho'gall and Lunara are both great.

Maledict

With the nerf to the quest talent and her overall sweep damage in this patch, it might be worth going for the caster speed talent now at 1 instead. Hard to say as it does really help her wave clear which is always useful.

Edit: forgot to say, on Dragonshire and Garden of Terror I usually take the cooldown reduction at level 1 and the blind at 13. It's impossible to dodge the sweep when in a plant / dk, and you mitigate insane amounts of damage with the blind everywhere time. It was literally possible if your enemy was dumb to 100% blind the map objective monster before this nerf.

(4 seconds did feel very, very long for something that's not that hard to hit).

scoobs

Nerfing Auriel before she even gets to OP status. Sigh... let me have some fun for a few weeks at least Blizz plz :(

Also absolutely gutting Greymane and trying to force people to take his god awful talents and other ultimate. Really hate this balance patch. How about we nerf the 55% WR Zagara, or the best hero in the game by a country mile Falstad?

Ketch

I don't understand the greymane changes.... They want to remove the burst when that's literally the only thing he does. That's like removing hook from stitches.

kirblar

I don't understand the greymane changes.... They want to remove the burst when that's literally the only thing he does. That's like removing hook from stitches.
He's not supposed to be that bursty. They want him to be going after low health targets after poke poke poke. Right now he 100 to 0s you easily.

scoobs

He's got a <50% win rate already, its likely going to nose dive into low 40s with this patch. Going to be hanging out with Medivh and Guldan lol.

Saw this comment on the reddit thread for the patch notes and chuckled "We're pretty happy with the way Greymane is playing but we straight fucked his shit up anyway."

kirblar

He's got a <50% win rate already, its likely going to nose dive into low 40s with this patch. Going to be hanging out with Medivh and Guldan lol
They're going to have to tune him around competitive play then try and fix QM after they get him in a good spot there. His kit is ridiculously strong due to how flexible it is.

scoobs

I guess I just don't understand what they want him to be. If he's not burst, then he's a poke hero, but they nerfed all of his poke damage over the last 6 months or whatever it has been.

kirblar

I guess I just don't understand what they want him to be. If he's not burst, then he's a poke hero, but they nerfed all of his poke damage over the last 6 months or whatever it has been.
Thought they just nerfed his Q build but left the rest of the poke alone?

scoobs

Well we knew he was coming, but that is a real cool ass easter egg. I'm glad they modeled him exactly off of the WC3 Blademaster. He better have the classic voice (I'm sure he will since everything else appears the exact same)

Just got logged off battle.net and I'm in queue for 30 minutes in NA, anyone else?

Maledict

Awesome. So what roles need to be hit next? That's 2 melee assassins pretty close together. I'm all for more healers.

We really don't need all these melee assassins and bruisers. They all occupy too much of the same role. Id prefer more supports and changes to the existing warriors so that you can solo tank with more than ETC / Muradin / Johanna / stitches.

We really don't need all these melee assassins and bruisers. They all occupy too much of the same role. Id prefer more supports and changes to the existing warriors so that you can solo tank with more than ETC / Muradin / Johanna / stitches.
Main tanks are boring (except Jojo) double warrior comps are finally trickling down to low ranks making more solo tanks will only shift it back to solo warrior.
I just want more pseudo roles atm.

Alavard

Healers are coming down the line. They were dumb and didn't see the diversity problem until recently.

I wonder how much longer Blizz can go before they have to start duplicating existing healing abilities on supports. They've been so focused on making each support have a unique healing mechanic for too long, and I think that's partially responsible for healers coming out so rarely, since they take so much design work.

We've already got

- 'smart' heal to target in range: (Lili)
- targeted direct heal: (Uther)
- point blank aoe heal: Kharazim
- chain heal (Rehgar)
- targeted aoe heal (Auriel)
- Heal over time: Malfurion
- pulse heal (brightwing)
- shields (Tassadar)
- beam heal (Morales)
- targeted heal that also heals user: (Tyrande)

What's left if they keep trying to make them entirely unique?

scoobs

- AOE heal zone (think Tyrael's sanct heroic)
- Convert damage taken to heal (think Medivh's reabsorption talent)
- Healing aura (kinda like BW's soothing mists but a constant heal over time?)
- Life steal and Spell vamp
- Snipe heals (Ana from Overwatch)

What else...

Priests in WoW used to have a lightwell you could place on teh ground and people can click on it for a Heal. I think LoL has a support like this

FinKL

I wonder how much longer Blizz can go before they have to start duplicating existing healing abilities on supports. They've been so focused on making each support have a unique healing mechanic for too long, and I think that's partially responsible for healers coming out so rarely, since they take so much design work.

We've already got

- 'smart' heal to target in range: (Lili)
- targeted direct heal: (Uther)
- point blank aoe heal: Kharazim
- chain heal (Rehgar)
- targeted aoe heal (Auriel)
- Heal over time: Malfurion
- pulse heal (brightwing)
- shields (Tassadar)
- beam heal (Morales)
- targeted heal that also heals user: (Tyrande)

What's left if they keep trying to make them entirely unique?

Guild Wars had lots of skills each with ups and downs vs the standard heal/short cool down like cannot self target, half casting range, huge cool downs etc.. A few ideas I see:

-Heal, +More heal if target is CC'd, +More heal if target is channelling, +More heal if target is > or < a % of life OR mana.
-Buff abilities, if allied takes dmg, turn that 1st damage into healing instead, turn all AA into healing for x seconds
-Infuse Health - You lose 1/2 your current life and give it + more to target.
-Maybe more buff/preventative abilities? Kinda like BW

Milly79

Guild Wars had lots of skills each with ups and downs vs the standard heal/short cool down like cannot self target, half casting range, huge cool downs etc.. A few ideas I see:

-Heal, +More heal if target is CC'd, +More heal if target is channelling, +More heal if target is > or < a % of life OR mana.
-Buff abilities, if allied takes dmg, turn that 1st damage into healing instead, turn all AA into healing for x seconds
-Infuse Health - You lose 1/2 your current life and give it + more to target.
-Maybe more buff/preventative abilities? Kinda like BW

Some of those sound great, but I have a feeling Blizzard wants to keep this as straightforward as possible. Adding in too much complexity will not cater to the casual crowd they've done a decent job at capturing.

No, I'm not saying they shouldn't do these, but I think that's how they would perceive those ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom