• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

After putting in some games on Auriel I think she is pretty awesome. My winrate is dog trash with her, but that's more down to teammates feeding and/or retreating and not exploiting the energy.

Win or lose, at least one or two fights per game seem go sideways because tank engages but the DPS is too timid, I can't build energy off the tank's damage, he dies, then they finally engage and we get wiped. Every time. It's like a broken record.

Had a Xul curse me and shittalk me because I didn't follow him and another to confirm a kill while grabbing a tribute. The funny part was I did follow him, it was Tyrael who was grabbing the tribute.

brian!

https://twitter.com/HeroesEsports/status/768137072183914497
lol

recent lol interview that talks about the effect of awful surprise patches on teams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcPP45gj72M&feature=youtu.be

it's all under the context of lcs where there is a lot more at stake than in hots, but the talk about specialized practicing and how patches have a resetting effect on teams is relevant
"it's like essentially if you go to school to be a math teacher but then you find out 6 months later that you have to teach science or lose your job"

since bliz already has the tech to play on previous patches that excuse is out the window...

Maledict

Yeah, it's dumb as fuck. Three whole days to get used to the idea that Greymane has been significantly nerfed, Auriel has been toned down, and various other changes have gone through. Blizzard need to understand that if they want an e-sports scene they need to be better at this stuff.

Either a tournament server for them to play on, or a moratorium on patches before big events. I mean, is the game currently SO unbalanced they *have* to patch this week rather than next? I would definitely argue no.

kirblar

There are too many big events for that to be a realistic thing. Players like the consistent patches and the game should be as up to date as possible.

This is obviously pretty dumb though, how hard is it to make sure your damn regionals aren't getting patched a week beforehand?

The good part- Greymane getting smacked down. Less insta deletes is good.

It's two pronged really, if they do tournaments on an old patch with the new patch already in place then teams can effectively not practice for it.
People have gotten accustomed to the rapid patching already and honestly I think it's great. They aren't patching heroes that don't need it and with every reiteration we're getting closer to a good state for the hero.

they also buffed tyrael which is great for me until they nerf him to oblivion.

Maledict

I think overall this patch is a nerf to Tyrael? Longer cool downs on abilities, including his heroic, plus a minor buff to some unpicked talents. I think like Gul'Dan they have nerfed his best abilities and the buffs to the others aren't big enough to make up for it,

brian!

It's two pronged really, if they do tournaments on an old patch with the new patch already in place then teams can effectively not practice for it.
People have gotten accustomed to the rapid patching already and honestly I think it's great. They aren't patching heroes that don't need it and with every reiteration we're getting closer to a good state for the hero.

they also buffed tyrael which is great for me until they nerf him to oblivion.

league has a "tournament realm" which is essentially a region that exists on the current tourney patch

snitch was talking about how eu doesnt prioritize greymane heavily so the patch will prob seal the deal for them

it is pretty hard to ask for less patches w/ the way hots is balanced tho
finding a solution that doesnt make pro players and orgs feel like they are being tossed aside is pretty important too

I think overall this patch is a nerf to Tyrael? Longer cool downs on abilities, including his heroic, plus a minor buff to some unpicked talents. I think like Gul'Dan they have nerfed his best abilities and the buffs to the others aren't big enough to make up for it,

follow through being added is huge and the CD talent for his Q on 4 is better than before the nerf effectively buffing the talent and his Q. Essentially they nerfed Sanc which isn't that high impact in uncoordinated games anyway.

brian!

oh yeah if arent getting value off of that I can understand
his auto attack dmg is awful though and you dont really want to space out his spells the way follow through wants you to, a very ? addition to me unless there are interactions w/ other talents im missing out on

brian!

oh you can get 2 w/ q?
yeah I'm starting to come around to it, but still pretty uncertain. it could actually be a really annoying talent to pair w/ imposing will

If it works like wormhole it should.

In the end it's just more single target damage which is always a consideration it'll allow Tyrael to harass the backline moreso than before.
It also buffs the amount of burst damage he can do off of judgement.

Maledict

Alextheprog was saying follow through is useless on him, and I tend to agree. He has one of the lowest tank auto attacks in the game, so it doesn't buff much, and you generally spam all your abilities at once when going in. You won't get three full uses out of a normal round of abilities unless you stagger them, and that's generally not how you use him. I'll still definitely be grabbing one of the shield talents.

(Also we aren't sure if the Q is two procs or one)?)

brian!

i dont have the numbers on hand but just numbers wise I feel like it should be awful on him, but I think you could probably make some sort of argument of follow thru in protracted fights and reciprocate in most cases (unless the nerf was really substantial and made the talent suck)

wave clear on reciprocate tough to give up, and the playstyle that follow through has w/ his kit (divey stick on 1 guy in backline think of nothing else) doesnt jive too well, but it's not like I've tried it out or anything

mr stroke

So another 100 matches and still stuck in bronze FML :(

A friend is telling me I suck because I need to "Stutterstep"? Is this required and will it help me get better ?

kirblar

A friend is telling me I suck because I need to "Stutterstep"? Is this required and will it help me get better ?
It's not required, but it helps to learn it since it can be a big marginal benefit.

It's when you move between your auto attacks in order to reposition.

oh boy
CqqRDWBVMAAeKz5.jpg:large

Celegus

I couldn't imagine playing without stutterstepping. There's plenty of good tutorial videos online and you can practice in the try mode (easiest with Raynor to get the feel of it). It's even useful for melees too to set up body blocks, dodge skillshots or just reposition yourself. Absolutely worth learning how to do properly, and not all that hard to be honest.

scoobs

Stutter stepping is absolutely required if you intend on becoming a better player and moving up in the ranks passed gold/plat and into diamond and beyond. Hero control is huge in team fights and even laning. Aside from these two big reasons, if you're constantly moving (stutter stepping) you will be much harder to hit with skill shots from the enemy Nova or Kael'Thas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Blizzard sent out a survey about the game, but it wouldn't load, and then it told me I already completed it.

Anyone else receive this and actually get to see what was inside?

zugzug

3:20am PST see some people in general chat looking for group for Ranked Team League. This is what we get queued up with. That just might be the last time I ever queue up for Ranked Team League ever again. Not even sure if this pic host is allowed on GAF, inc my rip.

brian!

Some ppl did the follow through numbers on reddit and it does seem like reciprocate is still the go to

Even if it did more deeps, reciprocate would likely still be go to based on waveclear

One guy had a prtty good idea for fighter tyrael w/ putting the +dmg on auto from smite at 7 and then some other sort of auto spike at 16, it's hard to have a dmg talent at 13 since imposing is must take. Then again tyrael doesnt really need to be doing dmg

kirblar

3:20am PST see some people in general chat looking for group for Ranked Team League. This is what we get queued up with. That just might be the last time I ever queue up for Ranked Team League ever again. Not even sure if this pic host is allowed on GAF, inc my rip.

Your looking at 6am lol. Can't see who you got. Try again during day.

You gotta consider dread barely gets time to play, two of them mained supports and weren't even known to be phenomenal.
I don't think JHow is particularly great but IIRC the conversation did go pretty much like you imagined but JHow asked to get in.

Pilgrimzero

Okay so I am new at this and stick to Quick Play. Which matched me with others after like 2 minutes. (What a wait).

I was looking at Unranked but I'm guessing you want an actual team? If you solo it auto matches you like QP? How is Unranked differnt from QP?

Should I avoid Unranked until a certain milestone? Like Ranked requires 14 characters at like level 5 (that's a lot).

kirblar

You gotta consider dread barely gets time to play, two of them mained supports and weren't even known to be phenomenal.
I don't think JHow is particularly great but IIRC the conversation did go pretty much like you imagined but JHow asked to get in.
Dread was a MT before he switched to support to pick up Glau.

Milly79

McIntyre stepping out isn't a huge surprise honestly. Dude has no luck and I don't think he's as stubborn as Glaurung is, who has a similar level of luck.

And who the hell is the "director of communications" talking to in that tweet. Mac?

Really shouldn't matter who he's talking about. That's highly unprofessional and speaks to what kind of org NvT is.

Alur

Okay so I am new at this and stick to Quick Play. Which matched me with others after like 2 minutes. (What a wait).

I was looking at Unranked but I'm guessing you want an actual team? If you solo it auto matches you like QP? How is Unranked differnt from QP?

Should I avoid Unranked until a certain milestone? Like Ranked requires 14 characters at like level 5 (that's a lot).

Can't remember if Unranked has requirements, but you draft heroes in Unranked.

Basically you get put on a team and get a draft slot, and when it's your turn you pick a hero. It allows you to craft a semi-coherent comp compared to the mess of shit that you often get in Quick Match.

Really shouldn't matter who he's talking about. That's highly unprofessional and speaks to what kind of org NvT is.

Welcome to like 4 months ago. Dude's been all over Twitter with this kind of shit, lol, he performs communications and Naventic runs their organization like a certain presidential candidate's campaign is managed.

kirblar

Really? The tourney after which they kicked Glau was the first I watched.
Ya. He was not a support player prior to that, he was their shotcaller and their MT. They had MadTimmy originally and ...it didn't work out. And then you figured out why when Zuna's having to manually keep his mouth shut and not react to MadTimmy's views on things like vision control on THH.

Alur

I wouldn't say Madtimmy didn't work out. They were the best team for a good chunk of time even with him. They just didn't win 3 tournaments for a month or so in December and then made the move. IIRC they even won the last Kings of the Storm they entered with Madtimmy on the roster. Madtimmy was always getting quite a bit of hype from the casters back then.

Whoever said Dunk and Dread were middling supports, I agree. Their strength was always in the macro realm of the controlling the team itself. I think Dread was the better player and shotcaller while Dunk was better at managing the egos, but not sure either of them were irreplaceable from a support perspective. It was just the other stuff they brought that made them valuable.

brian!

Agree w/ dread and dunk not really standing out in-game, but it should be said that it is hard for a support to stand out

Dread and glau did not get along at all during his short tenure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom