• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
HotS goes both against two common/popular things in mobas, maining heroes/champs and the carry potential. It is no wonder it does so poorly. If Blizzard wasn't so obsessed with
being different
counter picking, then maybe this game would be a bit more popular.
Or not

why would anyone make another LOL or DOTA

They've successfully carved out a niche and an audience in the genre of game with the steepest competition

what they need to continue to improve on is adding more complexity to the back end via hero kits and talents for the more serious players to be satisfied when they play

kirblar

It's clear the base isn't following the pro scene in the least. If you watched pro play, you understood why Greymane got nerfbatted. If you didn't, you were completely confused.

edit: When they do the inevitable WCIII map, it should randomly assign Horde/Alliance/Undead/Night Elves to each side each game.

Maledict

It's clear the base isn't following the pro scene in the least. If you watched pro play, you understood why Greymane got nerfbatted. If you didn't, you were completely confused.

edit: When they do the inevitable WCIII map, it should randomly assign Horde/Alliance/Undead/Night Elves to each side each game.

Thing is in EU he had dropped off considerably - and in NA scrims as well apparently. So I'm not sure it was justified, and I'm guessing that's why the pro's are kicking up such a fuss about this nerf - which I've never seen them do for any equivalent nerf to a hero.

kirblar

Thing is in EU he had dropped off considerably - and in NA scrims as well apparently. So I'm not sure it was justified, and I'm guessing that's why the pro's are kicking up such a fuss about this nerf - which I've never seen them do for any equivalent nerf to a hero.
As long as Tyrael/Sanc's as good as it is, the problem was going to remain. Greymane and Li-Ming have similar issues in top level play of probably being too good at bursting people.

edit: Looks like the League announcement should be hitting this week.

I'm loving judgement + follow through and I never took judgment before.

Hey they have hammer "don't let hammer go unpunished", team left me to solo lane against her with tyrael the whole game.

Maledict

As long as Tyrael/Sanc's as good as it is, the problem was going to remain. Greymane and Li-Ming have similar issues in top level play of probably being too good at bursting people.

edit: Looks like the League announcement should be hitting this week.

Um, Li-Ming has fallen off considerably in tournaments. She wasn't drafted that heavily at all in EU, and from what I recall didn't have an amazing win rate either. She seems to be in a good place nowadays to be honest. Yes you sometimes win off her trait. But it's no longer oppressive or unfair like it used to be.

That's why the pros seem so upset by this Greymane nerf - they considered him a niche pick who did a specific role well, and blizzard nuked that. Now maybe NA and EU have the meta wrong, but from their perspective he definitely wasn't in nerfing territory. TBH right now none of the ranged assassins seem out of balance, which feels like a first after the last year of mages we've had.

kirblar

Um, Li-Ming has fallen off considerably in tournaments. She wasn't drafted that heavily at all in EU, and from what I recall didn't have an amazing win rate either. She seems to be in a good place nowadays to be honest. Yes you sometimes win off her trait. But it's no longer oppressive or unfair like it used to be.

That's why the pros seem so upset by this Greymane nerf - they considered him a niche pick who did a specific role well, and blizzard nuked that. Now maybe NA and EU have the meta wrong, but from their perspective he definitely wasn't in nerfing territory. TBH right now none of the ranged assassins seem out of balance, which feels like a first after the last year of mages we've had.
What he did was very unhealthy to have existing in the game. Dropping a Sanc on a backliner and instantly blowing them up was not good gameplay. NA/EU have been consistently LTTP on a lot of stuff, and were not drafting the Tyrael/Greymane cheese until well after Korea was consistently doing it in tournament after tournament.

Li-Ming is in a similar position, where she can singlehandedly carry a team right now. You don't actually need very much damage out of the rest of the team with a good Li-Ming, you just need to put up a front line for her.

Maledict

And yet she isn't drafted heavily and doesn't have a huge win rate? Sorry I just don't think Li-Ming is in any way broken or in need of nerfs now, and the tournament results seem to bear that out.

As as to Greymane - teams adapted. One reason he fell off in Europe according to Snitch was because the two tank meta fucks him up, particularly Arthas. From the Korean and chinese games I've seen recently he isnt an auto pick for them anymore either.

(I'm also hesitant to ever list NA and EU in the same breath when it comes to metas, as they've always operated differently. EU was playing hyper aggressive Greymane before the last big world competition , for example. We just weren't as good with it... ;-) )

kirblar

The 2T+Syl builds that we were complaining about- the ones that EU seemed to copy from Korea?

Went 3-1 when Li-Ming was in the Assassin slot. Tempo Storm's first picking her now.

The problem with these two is the burst output. I don't think Li-Ming's in as bad a spot because there's a muuuuuuch higher skill floor for her, but the "lol ur dead" burst/stun gameplay is something they've been struggling with ever since the Cho'Gall patch and something that these two heroes in particular enable.

edit: I think what really changed was Sanc Tyrael becoming #1 pick/ban. Previously, he wasn't really being fought over, so you could easily pick him up w/ Greymane. Now, that's not possible, because he's either first picked or banned out immediately. That then changed the meta where suddenly Greymane "wasn't as bad" because Uther/Greymane isn't as powerful, and Uther can be hard countered by Lunara and other such pokey things.

Problem is, that still leaves that obnoxious interaction in the game, and you can't let that just sit there to re-emerge the moment Tyrael becomes a less contested pick.

TIL ban BW when you want to pick ChoGall.
BW? Ban Anub

Maledict

Tyraels the issue there though. I agree absolutely with Snitch and the other guy on that one - he's utterly OP now at the top level, and has to be first pick / first ban unless you are in a very specific map where you can do something special to avoid him.

Without Tyrael Greymane is sooooo much easier to deal with. He is providing too much right now.

Maledict

Anyone else think Auriel might be the top support in the game right now? I fucking win every single game with her

Quoting someone - if you don't need cleanse, you draft her. She's great.

I'm dreading her getting further nerfs. She's the first support who is just *fun* on a basic level for me, and they should focus on bringing the others to her level not nerfing her. She actually has abilities beyond her heal that make a difference in fights! She has a high skill cap! Real talent choices!

scoobs

It's SO satisfying setting up kills with her E. Whipping people into stuns is insanely rewarding. Need more supports with crazy playmaking like her.

XEtUDMNh.png

xlrLMcFh.png

I forget why I hate HL sometimes, then I hop into a match. why are people like this?

Celegus

It's SO satisfying setting up kills with her E. Whipping people into stuns is insanely rewarding. Need more supports with crazy playmaking like her.

Yeah I love it so much. Just brutalized a Sgt Hammer as her, kept sieging next to walls and then my team would have a field day.

JackDT

I tried the 'TryTeamLeague' chat channel to find teammates. Found a bunch of people my rank and had some fun matches. Nobody was a douche when we lost or someone died, everyone was friendly the whole time. A++ would do again, recommended.

Maledict

So it's confirmed we get the PTR tomorrow. Wonder what changes we'll see that weren't in the gamescon build, or were missed.

Excited by Valla, she's effectively a new hero at this stage.

Alavard

Man, these weird QM comps don't stop. I really should be playing a draft mode, I know, but I'm trying to learn Auriel.

Anyway, the team was me as Auriel, with Gazlowe, Hammer, and both Zeratul and Nova, and the map was Sky Temple. So that meant Gazlowe, Hammer, and I each soloing a lane (fine for Gaz, but dangerous for Hammer, and a partial waste for me as Auriel), while Zeratul and Nova roamed. Somehow it worked though, and we stomped the enemy team.

I got some serious good use out of Crystal Aegis on Zeratul, and loved giving Hammer some extra dps with the attack speed Bestow Hope talent.

I'm actually not super excited for Alarak, but can't wait to check out the first of the new maps on the PTR.

Edit - Also, I've only been able to pull it off against AI, but using Auriel's E to knock a Nazeebo back into his own zombie wall as it comes up to trap him and stun him is hilarious.

Pilgrimzero

I have only played Quick. And one team I've played with has ever stuck together.

Is it not better to stick together?

The last game I played the opposing team stuck together and obliterated us.

I'm afraid to try Unranked cause I barely know what I'm doing

scoobs

I have only played Quick. And one team I've played with has ever stuck together.

Why are you afraid? Its unranked man, just play and learn the game. Besides, you will be matched with similarly skilled players, so you won't be the only one who has no idea what's going on.

It is better to stick together, but you'll find that the vast majority of people who play this game (especially at the lower levels of skill) have absolutely no idea what they're doing and just kind of run around and do whatever they feel like doing.

Alavard

There are times to stick together and times not to, and ideally, your team should be doing both. If your team is specifically avoiding grouping, that's a problem, yes. But especially as newer players, heroes should avoid being alone during the game unless they have a good reason to (solo laning, certain heroes taking a quick camp, etc).

You should probably give unranked a try once you feel comfortable with a few heroes of each role. As long as you communicate during the draft, you'll be fine.

Alur

And they BM everyone else because they watched a few VODs or pro games and think they understand the game.

Definitely not worth worrying over. Just jump in. Only place I wouldn't jump in too soon is Hero League, and that's cause if you tank your MMR there before you really learn what you're doing, it's a bitch climbing back out.

Milly79

PTR delayed.

As many of you may know, we announced that we’d be releasing our next patch to the Public Test Realm today, August 29. However, we’ve since encountered an issue that’s causing a delay. We’re actively working to resolve this issue, and still intend to open the PTR for playtesting as soon as we can. We’ll keep this thread updated with any new details we have to share about PTR release today.

Thank you for your patience. We can’t wait for all of you to join us (and Alarak!) on the PTR, but we first want to make sure that PTR patch release will go smoothly before we open the gates.

Alur

That feels bad man.

EDIT: Someone give me the Insight build for Kharazim please. I just won one with it, but I think I may have went more aggressive than the general build is.

I did:

Insight
Protective Shield
Echo of Heaven (guess you could Way of the Hundred Fists to get max value out of Insight)
Seven Sided
Fists of Fury
Blazing Fists
Storm Shield

Outside of 4 and 7 I went all in on it, and didn't at 4 only because there's nothing really there. What's the typical build though?

Maledict

So the bug on screen there was that if someone is mawed with an abathur hat on them, the abathur hat caps the point. Normally it wouldn't cap if you are in a maw.

brian!

That feels bad man.

EDIT: Someone give me the Insight build for Kharazim please. I just won one with it, but I think I may have went more aggressive than the general build is.

I did:

Insight
Protective Shield
Echo of Heaven (guess you could Way of the Hundred Fists to get max value out of Insight)
Seven Sided
Fists of Fury
Blazing Fists
Storm Shield

Outside of 4 and 7 I went all in on it, and didn't at 4 only because there's nothing really there. What's the typical build though?

Whats the insight bonus again

Alur

Mana return + cooldown reduction on hit. The cooldown reduction is a new thing. Once you get it going later you can nearly spam all your shit, it's pretty fun.

kirblar

PTR just started downloading for me. 1GB. Hopefully patch notes are imminent!
Nice! Just started for me- had to close out the launcher and re-open to get the download to kick in.

I have a Jaina code if anyone needs one btw (I gave in to the Legion cause I'm probably gonna be home sick tomorrow and the timing was like...welll, ok you win marketing.)

People have been asking for stuff like for a while

Imposing Presence (Active)

New functionality:
Heroes that attack you have their Attack Speed slowed by 20% for 2.5 seconds
Activate to slow the Attack Speed of nearby Heroes and Summons by 50% and their Movement Speed slowed by 20% for 2.5 seconds

Long live Bribewing
Level 1 New Talent: Wingman (Active) Enemy Minions killed near you grant a stack of Bribe. Use 20 stacks to Bribe a Mercenary, instantly defeating them and permanently increasing the damage of Lightning Rod by 5%. Does not work on Bosses. Maximum of 80 stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom