• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

Been banning Chromie in unranked all morning, 5 dodges so far. Lot of Chromie scum out there, be careful everyone!

protonium

I think it looks awesome and I'm gonna play the shit out of this mode. It also makes me want to check out SC2's commander game mode with its own mutators.

Milly79

I was unaware you could get full maps like any other mode. I mean I read the standard map part, but didn't really know what to expect. That's kind of a bummer in a way considering I thought they touted this as a short game mode.

Alur

Looks... kind of pointless? I don't imagine myself playing much of this, but who knows

The point is to have another avenue to have fun playing the game. Just like the point of ARAM. Apparently it's also gonna have it's own rewards and give gold, too, which is good for players.

I was afraid it was going to be like Overwatch Brawl mode where it'd basically just end up being forced shitty Quick Match games, but looks like it's going to have it's own personality beyond "lulz u can all only b supportz ehehehe" thankfully.

Alur

Battlerite is awesome, no doubt, but I think this is different enough to suffice. Maybe not different enough to entice someone who digs Battlerite, but there's enough variation in modes for it to provide a new experience.

So I'm having a bit of trouble understanding. Are there three different brawls available at the same time each week?

I thought it was just one per week, but you got the rewards if you did it three times in that week span. I'm not entirely sure though TBH.

Looks... kind of pointless? I don't imagine myself playing much of this, but who knows

If Hearthstone is anything to go by, this kind of game mode will be a smash hit. Sometimes people just want to fuck around in the game and not have to take it so seriously. While quick match is a less serious experience, it's still the same core game. Brawl however is just for fun and they're also giving players a shitload of incentive to play it. 1k gold for 3 games (win or lose!) is nothing to sneeze at. Imo it's a much more significant reward for your time than what Hearthstone gives you.

I too wonder about Blizzcon. Hopefully some reveals of some iconic Blizzard characters that haven't made their way into the game yet like Kel'Thuzad.

scoobs

Any guesses for the "weird hero" being revealed at Blizzcon? They've said there will be another Abathur/Cho'gall/TLV type hero coming.

My bet is on C'thun. He replaces your core, and raises tentacles and shit all over the map kind of like how abathur puts mines, except the tentacles attack and have range.

Alavard

Any guesses for the "weird hero" being revealed at Blizzcon? They've said there will be another Abathur/Cho'gall/TLV type hero coming.

My bet is on C'thun. He replaces your core, and raises tentacles and shit all over the map kind of like how abathur puts mines, except the tentacles attack and have range.

Since they've specifically talked about this hero affecting the environment more than any other, that's actually a pretty solid guess. I can think of some other possibilities, but I still think C'Thun works better for what they've described so far:

- The Overmind

- Arcturus Mengsk (datamined abilities from a long time ago include some sort of towers he can put up, and an ability called 'life insurance policy')

- Deathwing (either he's so big he's under the whole map and brings things up from under the map, or he flies over the map and attacks from way out of camera)

protonium

"Chromie is legitimately the worst hero that Blizzard has ever introduced to HotS."

Ro9ik5a.png

lol I didn't realize that Trikslyr (edit:) ruled his stream with an iron first.

Edit: ibGetFuckedProto

Alur

Am I reading/interpreting this right from battle.net...there will also be unique portrait rewards from Brawls? There's a cool Sgt. Hammer one, a punisher one, and I'm not sure what the one on the end is. Spider Queen?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Am I reading/interpreting this right from battle.net...there will also be unique portrait rewards from Brawls? There's a cool Sgt. Hammer one, a punisher one, and I'm not sure what the one on the end is. Spider Queen?

This quote answers all the questions it seems: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wh...ms-arena-mo/1100-6444155/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

It'll be a weekly rotating system where every week you'll see a new piece of content. It's a new brawl, that's kind of our top-level term… so what people saw at Blizzcon [2015], we'll see as one of the weekly brawls for this mode.

The first week will be a new Arena. We call it The Punisher Arena. It kind of makes a nod to Infernal Shrines where players fight to earn the Punisher reward. But in this battleground, players actually have Punishers on both sides at the beginning of the map and it's all about killing players and Punishers. And as they kill a Punisher, players are rewarded 10 points and as they kill other players they are rewarded 4 points. The first team to hit 100 points wins, and it's a best-of-three.

It's really exciting because it's really changing the mechanic, instead of being objective-based and pushing the core, it's all about slaughter. And with Punishers jumping at both sides and attacking each other, it creates a really fun, weird dynamic where players are trying to figure out what they can do not to die as well as be a good participant in the team.

We wanted to add new crazy modes. A good example of that is Ghost Protocol. This is a mode that is 5v5 Nova and it's on the Towers of Doom [battleground map] It's very different; a lot of cloaked heroes, espionage, and hiding. But we wanted to add some weird fun dynamics to it. One of them is that if I kill another Nova player then my core will shoot the enemy's core. So it ties into the map's mechanic itself. We've made it so that all snipe shots on this battleground are one-shots, they'll automatically kill an enemy player if it hits.

We really want to pull players into this experience so we have a really fun rewards structure. That is, asking for players to play three games a week, which I don't think is asking too much. Upon completing the three games we give you 1,000 gold which is a pretty large reward. On top of that, we give you a unique portrait for each of the brawls. As a new brawl gets released, if you complete that week's reward and get the gold you'll also get the unique portrait.

Alur

Thank you!

This part though:

We really want to pull players into this experience so we have a really fun rewards structure. That is, asking for players to play three games a week, which I don't think is asking too much. Upon completing the three games we give you 1,000 gold which is a pretty large reward. On top of that, we give you a unique portrait for each of the brawls. As a new brawl gets released, if you complete that week's reward and get the gold you'll also get the unique portrait.

There's been multiple discussions in this thread and on reddit about them adding more portraits for flavor...and now they are finally doing it. Pretty awesome. Nice little incentive to keep you playing each week if you're a collector like me.

Also, pretty shocked at 1,000g for 3 games. That's a legitimately a great reward. 10 weeks gets you a full price hero, and that's if you do literally nothing else.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard is usually pretty generous with Brawl mode.

Winning one Brawl gives you a card pack in Hearthstone (that's about two daily's worth) and an Overwatch Brawl gives you a 1500 XP bonus.

protonium

It is indeed generous on top of all of the other ways to earn gold. In isolation, it's not over the top as the 'win 3 games' daily quest gives you 600 gold compared to the 'play 3 games' weekly quest for 1000 gold.

protonium

If only ARAM gave gold or some sort of progression I would be set but those brawls looks like the next best thing for me.

Fret not, I'm sure I read that Lost Caverns ARAM is going to be one of the Heroes Brawl battlegrounds.

Edit: From the interview I linked to earlier:
So you obviously have Lost Cavern, you put that in there as well, kind of just making ARAMs a part of the weekly brawl experience. Do you ever see that potentially being its own separate mode? Because I know a lot of players out there do like playing that and want to be able to choose to be able to queue up into something like that.

Sure, we don’t currently have plans for an individual ARAMs queue, we are going to keep support through custom games and then introduce it in a brawl. So we have Lost Caverns now and we’ll have more to announce later. That will give you your queued match made experience when they do show up in Heroes Brawl.

Alur

I'd bet that as well.

Milly + this thread convinced me. I'm excited for this. I would've played regardless cause of the portraits, though! lol

Alur

Fret not, I'm sure I read that Lost Caverns ARAM is going to be one of the Heroes Brawl battlegrounds.

Edit: From the interview I linked to earlier:

Be sweet if they gave us whatever the other ARAM style maps they have for Brawl in the custom mode too. I'm not a huge fan of the Lost Caverns map TBH.

Kioshen

Well then I'm all set if that's the case for aram.

PTR so soon ? This will be the first time I'll ever bother to go to PTR then.

brian!

The point is to have another avenue to have fun playing the game. Just like the point of ARAM. Apparently it's also gonna have it's own rewards and give gold, too, which is good for players.

I was afraid it was going to be like Overwatch Brawl mode where it'd basically just end up being forced shitty Quick Match games, but looks like it's going to have it's own personality beyond "lulz u can all only b supportz ehehehe" thankfully.

Havent checked out the content but this is what i was hoping for out of arena

Alur

That is a good question. What does HOTS have to do to get brian! and Ketch back? Tune in to Nexus News tonight at 6 as we find out!

scoobs

I've been meaning to try Paragon, because I like pretty games. Unfortunately I feel like I'll hate it because of the card system

brian!

Apparently they are going through an experimental phase atm w/ their patches so it might not be the best time to hop in. Then again you have to grind to get cards which is their replacement for items so maybe the sooner the better?

Hard to believe we're getting brawls so quickly (Oct.17th) after the machines of war update.

Really seems like Blizzard is doubling down on their efforts for HOTS.

protonium

HotS just downloaded an update (version 20.5.*) but I don't know what it was for. The patch notes only go up to v20.4 and there's no news on their site.

Edit. It doesn't look like they fixed the Nova bug...

Maledict

Just looking at the hero league rankings, and it seems the old NA / EU split is still very much active and present. I think I can see every single EU pro in the hero league list, and the top 5 are all pro players. Meanwhile in the USA you can see a couple of pro players but mostly they don't seem to be on the list at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom