• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kioshen

Just looking at the hero league rankings, and it seems the old NA / EU split is still very much active and present. I think I can see every single EU pro in the hero league list, and the top 5 are all pro players. Meanwhile in the USA you can see a couple of pro players but mostly they don't seem to be on the list at all.

Is PPL an NA thing or on both side of the pond ?

I absolutely can't wait for Samuro to come out. Blademaster was one of my favorite heroes in WC3 and this looks super faithful to that. Gonna be so much fun :D

Alur

Pretty sure PPL has completely dried up in regards to how it was at the start, right? I mean they may still be running it, but as usual the egos appear to have gotten in the way of the pro players running it.

Milly79

Pretty sure PPL has completely dried up in regards to how it was at the start, right? I mean they may still be running it, but as usual the egos appear to have gotten in the way of the pro players running it.

There was a topic on Reddit recently where it states there was like 2 games a day now.

It boiled down to:

1) Too many scrubs let in
2) start of s2 so people are chasing rank

Draw your own conclusions, I guess :/

Maledict

To be blunt, it's also because NA pro's are freaking lazy and don't actually seem to enjoy the game that much. Everytime they try alternate leagues they always fall apart with people claiming that too many poor players have been let in. Yet somehow EU and Korea and China pros all manage to play in their regular hero leagues all the time without needing alternate systems, or excuses to not play. For some reason NA top players have an attitude that the other regions don't.

Alur

We are in a pretty big competitive lull now, IMO. I mean, there's Nexus games, sure, but it's not like there's something huge going on. In games like League some of the more prominent dudes are streaming all week up until the weekend beyond their scrims, for example, so it's not like they don't have time in HOTS I'm sure.

It just boils down to what Milly said. They get uptight about a bad game and a player playing bad, and then it turns into everyone but us is scrubs, and then it dies. In a few months it'll pick up again for another week or two, but it's never going to last over here with the attitudes these guys have towards their ladder peers.

To be blunt, it's also because NA pro's are freaking lazy and don't actually seem to enjoy the game that much. Everytime they try alternate leagues they always fall apart with people claiming that too many poor players have been let in. Yet somehow EU and Korea and China pros all manage to play in their regular hero leagues all the time without needing alternate systems, or excuses to not play.

Ditto. Our guys here can't get past their Gul'dan picking Rain or teammate soaking an improper lane for their hero versus how they do it in the pro scene. Like it literally tilts them, and instead of attempting to correct it or just letting it go and dealing with that -15% efficiency for all of 5 minutes, they get so twisted up about it that they throw the whole game. Sometimes you can even see them do it to each other (other pros I mean), when that pro is considered a lesser player or on a lesser team.

To be blunt, it's also because NA pro's are freaking lazy and don't actually seem to enjoy the game that much. Everytime they try alternate leagues they always fall apart with people claiming that too many poor players have been let in. Yet somehow EU and Korea and China pros all manage to play in their regular hero leagues all the time without needing alternate systems, or excuses to not play.
EU also had a league last winter IIRC and if you follow pros on twitter the amount of vitriol and NaCl has increased dramatically. Watching a lot of streams, many of the EU pros can't stop complaining about matchmaking and their teammates. Monkey is about the nicest people are called.!

Oh right spend my twitchprime sub on Glaurung. If only I weren't so cheap I could sub to more of them, I love Karen's and Kaeyoh's as well as all of Dignitas' streams.

Dignitas are bootcamping in Korea btw.

Milly79

Do you get a free month? Thought I read that was the case, but I'm assuming that's based on the last time you had Amazon prime or some shit? They seem to throw a free month at me every so often.

Really hope Mirror Image has some invul frames and/or some projectile/ability dodging capability like Manta in DOTA to raise the skillcap a bit else Samuro looks like a pretty braindead hero.

Maybe his talent tree will help things, I dunno.

protonium

Really hope Mirror Image has some invul frames and/or some projectile/ability dodging capability like Manta in DOTA to raise the skillcap a bit else Samuro looks like a pretty braindead hero.

Maybe his talent tree will help things, I dunno.

The ability description says that taking damage in the first second doesn't break stealth. Not quite invulnerable but it's something.

The ability description says that taking damage in the first second doesn't break stealth. Not quite invulnerable but it's something.

That's Windwalk, not Mirror Image. Obviously that exists on Windwalk to prevent the invisibility from breaking instantly if you activate it while an autoattack projectile is in the air or something. Also HOTS has lots of non-targetable AOEs like Multishot so if it didn't have that it would probably be a pretty bad skill. But even if you don't lose the invis you still take all of the damage.

What I mean with Mirror Image is you could cast it while a storm bolt or something is flinging at you and you would get a few frames of invul that if timed right would cancel the storm bolt. Manta Style in DOTA has some weird functionality where it can push you out of ability aoe/trigger ranges (it spawns 2 illusions and moves your hero) and it also has about .1 sec of invulnerability where you can time it and use it to try to dodge disables with predictable cast time animations like Axe Call, Tide Ravage, etc.

brian!

It should have invul frames if the animation is the same as wc3. I agree that his kit has to be about dodging shit otherwise it is prtty underwhelming. I havent read anything about him yet but my bruh was saying that he needs to skill into an ult to be able to control clones, wat is that

1 sec invul on ww is pretty high but i dont mind if it is initially heavy handed to emphasize that aspect of his playstyle

Checking out that gosu link, im liking the lvl 4 talents i think that's a nice design

He seems pretty battleriteish in that his kit is largely about utilizing his outplay potential, he doesnt get waveclear until 7 and looks like he has no sustain so hed have a hard time winning solo lanes, but he'd probably be a safe soaker. He can push a hard if left alone, i can see that helping his initial wr a decent amount

He looks fun if how im imagining him is how he is

Oh i misread i thought the 1 sec on ww was invulnerability, now im pretty certain youll be able to dodge with mirror image

brian!

i wonder how squishy he is, i feel like w/ other iterations of mirror image they should prob be evaporated w/ one flamestrike or a couple of autos, but I don't think that will be the case here
hope im reading something wrong and control over illusions isnt locked behind dat lvl 10, I always attributed the lack of control the game lets you have as a engine limitation, it'd be weird to have it be available but opt in

protonium

Butcher, Kerrigan, Abathur, Tassadar, Tychus
vs
Illidan, Hammer, Chromie, Malfurion, Tyrande
on
BoE

I'm taking bets -- guess who wins.

Played both new maps a fair bit more, still hate Braxis Holdout, but I've grown to like Warhead Junction. I find there's a lot more back and forth exchanges on Warhead Junction whereas Braxis Holdout, even with the changes to the zerg waves, is still super snowball-y. Always seems to be a stomp and generally it's whoever has the best waveclear, which makes it unfun in QM.

Not a fan of the two lane format, not sure why they brought it back. It was bad in Haunted Mines, it's bad in Braxis Holdout.

Butcher, Kerrigan, Abathur, Tassadar, Tychus
vs
Illidan, Hammer, Chromie, Malfurion, Tyrande
on
BoE

I'm taking bets -- guess who wins.

If they can play 4 protect 1 and keep Hammer safe, they win every Immortal.

protonium

Shockingly, team 2 won (I was Malf). I was expecting to get wrecked.

Fun facts:
- They hit 10 first and killed 4 of our team because they didn't go back
- On the third immortal, we wiped them with a wicked wombo (roots + Chromie Q&W + BFG) and took the keep to 23%
- On the fourth immortal, they were zoned by graduating range. Butcher got insta-gibbed by Chromie Q&W + BFG + Hunt, we wiped the rest of the team and won
- We won every immortal
- Hammer took Ambush instead of Resistant at level 1 vs Kerrigan, Butcher and ultimate evolution...
- Hammer had the most hero damage
- Chromie had 48K hero damage, Tyrande (AA build) had 42K
- Tassadar had 70K healing done. I had 32K and Tyrande had 27K

Edit: jaundice and scoobs (is there anything you can't do) win!

scoobs

Shockingly, team 2 won (I was Malf). I was expecting to get wrecked.

Fun facts:
- They hit 10 first and killed 4 of our team because they didn't go back
- On the third immortal, we wiped them with a wicked wombo (roots + Chromie Q&W + BFG) and took the keep to 23%
- On the fourth immortal, they were zoned by graduating range. Butcher got insta-gibbed by Chromie Q&W + BFG + Hunt, we wiped the rest of the team and won
- We won every immortal
- Hammer took Ambush instead of Resistant at level 1 vs Kerrigan, Butcher and ultimate evolution...
- Hammer had the most hero damage
- Chromie had 48K hero damage, Tyrande (AA build) had 42K
- Tassadar had 70K healing done. I had 32K and Tyrande had 27K

Edit: jaundice and scoobs (is there anything you can't do) win!

It wasn't very hard, all I did was notice there was a Chromie, and assume they won because she instantly deletes every hero in the game and is very balanced.

protonium

Deputy Valla looks fantastic! She reminds me of Miss Fortune bae.

I don't like the Cyber KT (I thought it was Pharah for a moment) and Scarecrow Xul models but the themed abilities look nice, especially the costumes on Xul's summons.

lol at the Eye Pad mount.

Maledict

I think KT and Xul are amazing, and Valla is fucking awful. Does the game really need another tits and ass skin for a hero? Particulary a hero who already has multiple skins?

K and Xul are instant, day 1 buys for me however. Even though I hardly ever get to play KT nowadays... ;-(

Alur

I dig the new Valla skin, don't really see it as a tits and ass skin. I don't really care for any of that stuff, but I do think the skin looks cool and appreciably different from her others. Just having different weapons is a nice change. Sorry Reaper.

Scarecrow Xul is nice I guess. Will depend on the other tints since I didn't catch them and don't like the base. The themed abilities are great. The KT skin is not very good IMO. I could live with most of it but that helmet is a little weird. Should've went with Disco KT idea.

Hellboar is a new animal mount I guess? Not even certain what to think of the Eye Pad.

Not sure I'll buy any of it except the mounts, cause I am obligated to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom