• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milly79

Haha Proven. The main complaint with THH is he's so fucking random with uploading it. My guess is we'll get it the week after Blizzcon, if he hasn't forgotten by then.

scoobs

THH is the only HOTS podcast I subscribe to that I don't keep up with. Core, Into the Nexus, and Lords of the Storm are the most entertaining and I highly recommend them. THH can be good if you want to catch up on esports stuff, but even then it's kind of hard to sit through

I cannot reiterate enough how much bs MingLee is.

scoobs

I think they have the best HOTS podcast, and yes that interview is fantastic. They mention haunted mines is coming back and it will retain its dual-layer map layout that makes it so unique.

Just got into an unranked game where our last pick needed to be a warrior since we had 3 assassins, and a support already. Good thing we got a Gul'Dan instead. Will report back on how bad we lost in 10 minutes.

Saw this on Kaeyoh's stream yesterday, Nachojin is from Ballistix formerly known as L5

VJqlvGj.gif

IceMarker

Some people added me from my previous post with my Battletag I'm not sure if they are from GAF or not... either way tossing it out there again for anyone who is down for simple casual Quick Match queues. IceMarker#1172 (NA)

Kioshen

Well I've added you if that helps.

On another note, ggs this week-end in TL. Is malfurion/brightwing that much of a first pick/ban material or you guys just wanted stable heals ?

Alur

When I've played draft mode, they are always the first two healers down. If one gets banned, Auriel is next. I can't even remember the last time I saw Rehgar or Kharazim voluntarily taken, which is sad as those are two of my best heroes.

Alur

I feel you. I'm not down with solo healer Brightwing even still. Ever since the activate trait nerf I've always found her lacking, but I guess she's working for someone.

brian!

It's because burst spells are weak atm and dive is strong, rehgar still good atm but doesnt bring as much as bw/malf, you still need to pair him with something like illidan

Kioshen

On my third brawl, either because we snowballed the early game a bit or I've ajusted a couple of things talent wise but I've had more fun with it. Instead of going the self sustain route with health regen quest, heal on hit and napalm strike I went all in with bonus damage on long range for taking towers quicker, bonus damage on basic attacks, blunt force gun and giant killer. It went surprisingly well and flanking was much more effective. People were not positionning correctly and could snipe 2 or more sieging tanks while killing stagglers.

I think pushing the envelope a little bit further like halving the shots to 20 instead of 40, double xp or starting at 10 would have been easier on everyone than just grinding the early game.

Zarya + Johanna + Medic is hilarious. Just had it in a game and we bodied them, had the towers drained in the first couple minutes and dove past the fort to kill valla around 4 minutes in. The first skirmish alone gave 91 stacks for maximum charge.

Proven

ITN #133 with John DeShazer was pretty cool to hear with the devs insights and all.

I think they have the best HOTS podcast, and yes that interview is fantastic. They mention haunted mines is coming back and it will retain its dual-layer map layout that makes it so unique.

Just got into an unranked game where our last pick needed to be a warrior since we had 3 assassins, and a support already. Good thing we got a Gul'Dan instead. Will report back on how bad we lost in 10 minutes.

Gonna trust you guys on this. Because of Town Hall Heroes being so spotty I looked into a few Heroes podcasts. Into the Nexus was tried, but something about the hosts made me just get annoyed from listening to them. I'm definitely going to start again with #133. adding the other ones mentioned to my podcast playlist as well.

Milly79

Gonna trust you guys on this. Because of Town Hall Heroes being so spotty I looked into a few Heroes podcasts. Into the Nexus was tried, but something about the hosts made me just get annoyed from listening to them. I'm definitely going to start again with #133. adding the other ones mentioned to my podcast playlist as well.

Woahh, what? What was annoying about Kyle and Garrett from ITN? I've honestly never heard that before.

Core is pretty good as well, as others have mentioned. Beau is pretty knowledgeable and John knows what he's talking about most of the time. Scott has zero idea what is going on 85% of the time and forgets the names of everything. It's funny/annoying depending on how you look at it, but it surprisingly makes for a good podcast. I also like how Core goes into a random Heroes related subject to start it off. I haven't seen any other podcast do that. They typically just get into that weeks news.

Haven't listened to Lords of the Storm before, so I can't comment on that one.

My rankings:

1) ITN
2) Core
3) THH

THH could be so much better if Jake gave a half a fuck it felt like and/or brought back the OG cast. He could kill it off at this point and nothing would be lost. Kaeyoh and Dunk could do their own thing and it would be loads more interesting.

Alur

Somewhere around the time he started getting left off of casts, Jake started mailing it in on THH. He was always one of the weaker parts of the show, but now I'm pretty sure he doesn't even play the game or have much to do with it besides the bare minimum to keep getting the occasional casting gig.

Ironically, his deep dive into Overwatch with casting and podcast also failed, which was part of his claimed reasoning for stepping back from HOTS. He was too LTTP to cast, and Town Hall Overwatch hasn't had a new episode since early September.

Into the Nexus and Core are both good listens. Neither are quite as knowledgeable or "up-to-date" as I'd like, which is why THH's slow demise has been so painful for me.

Core suffers from all three players being mediocre to low level, as well as Scott having too much to do to play regularly or keep up with news. ITN often seems misinformed on news, changes, and even the meta, though Kyle is a pretty good player. Production wise they are both miles ahead of THH.

There's several good ones out there to listen to. I think the one Gillyweed and AnnaProsser did must be defunct now too, though. Haven't seen anything about it in some time.

Maledict

We just need State of the Nexus back...

On a more pleasant note, it's nice that the game has reached the point where pocket picks are viable. Although Karl's nerfed annoyed me, the fact I can now pick him and win with him on objective control maps (Shrines, Braxxis, Skytemple, Tomb, Towers) because I've played him *so* much is fun. The muscle memory on the stun is so ingrained it happens without thinking, and a lot of dps have forgotten how to deal with that and the living bomb.

Milly79

Somewhere around the time he started getting left off of casts, Jake started mailing it in on THH. He was always one of the weaker parts of the show, but now I'm pretty sure he doesn't even play the game or have much to do with it besides the bare minimum to keep getting the occasional casting gig.

Ironically, his deep dive into Overwatch with casting and podcast also failed, which was part of his claimed reasoning for stepping back from HOTS. He was too LTTP to cast, and Town Hall Overwatch hasn't had a new episode since early September.

Into the Nexus and Core are both good listens. Neither are quite as knowledgeable or "up-to-date" as I'd like, which is why THH's slow demise has been so painful for me.

Core suffers from all three players being mediocre to low level, as well as Scott having too much to do to play regularly or keep up with news. ITN often seems misinformed on news, changes, and even the meta, though Kyle is a pretty good player. Production wise they are both miles ahead of THH.

There's several good ones out there to listen to. I think the one Gillyweed and AnnaProsser did must be defunct now too, though. Haven't seen anything about it in some time.

Beau is around our level.

I don't feel ITN is behind the times or anything. I find Kyle is WAY too optimistic at times.

Not sure on the girls podcast, as it's not on iTunes and locked behind Twitch. They're probably way too busy to carry that on anyway.

scoobs

I guess I don't really care if they're a bunch of silver players, they're all passionate about the game and have entertaining podcast segments related to my favorite game so I listen every week. Kyle is diamond 1 and a great analytical streamer if you enjoy that kind of thing. Core has a really great "game show" segment akin to Jeopardy, with a bunch of fun HOTS related trivia questions that I really enjoy too

The only one I have listened to is THH.
I come to gaf for all my opinion pieces :D

I think the hardest part is Jake has a really hard time drawing out interesting discussions out of his guests. If the guest isnt all that vocal or outgoing it can be rough.

Dunk is fun enough but as a co-host I think he doesnt do that great either, he seems pretty laid-back most of the time and is fine to let alot of the dead air hang around. Every once and a while he will have a question that excites him and he will make it happen and they are usually pretty good, but once that passes he just goes back to relaxin.

kirblar

Jake has a hard time because Jake is a cipher who doesn't actually like to put out an opinion on anything and instead tries to be a moderator in a format that doesn't really need one.

scoobs

This is as close as I'm ever going to get to legendary status ever again until they change this mvp system :( HOW CAN I LIVE!?!?

hPnFbBq.jpg

kirblar

Simple formular for figuring out who will win a Brawl this week.

Count the number of players with ambush on each team.

The one with more will win.

Simple formular for figuring out who will win a Brawl this week.

Count the number of players with ambush on each team.

The one with more will win.
My last brawl was 9 times artillery and only me with Ambush we won. It got a bit more difficult once they took graduating range but at that point we basically had already won.
It's like he is going out of his way to ensure it remains a minor thing and not catch on.
He does have a point that it's not well suited to podcast from, the audio quality is poor and there's lot of visual context necessary to understand what's going on.

Maledict

Since when has that stopped him? A good 30 minutes of each THH is dead air on the podcast because it's him rotating Alarak or playing Malf in try mode, or shopping for blizzard figures.

IceMarker

Okay, I am legitimately pissed at matchmaking in Quick Match right now. Just lost a relatively close match and decided to look at the match histories of all participants and all of my teammates myself included are on a losing streak and all of our opponents just continued their winning streak. Where the fuck is the justice in that? Fuck Heroes of the Storm man, fucking Blizzard needs to get their shit together on this, I should be getting better teammates than enemies.

JYshiVB.gif

EDIT: Match in question: http://www.hotslogs.com/Player/MatchDetails?ReplayID=88936200

IceMarker

I'm starting to really look forward to your daily quickmatch matchmaking rants. Quality stuff.

Dude like, even DOTA 2 wasn't too bad to me even in the darkest of times (and boy did it get dark). The only team game that has screwed me over more is HoN back in the day. I'm tempted to make a useless pointless YouTube rant about it. The more you lose the more likely you are to win your next match in a team game and vice versa and with how often I have lost the last few days I'm simply dumbfounded justice hasn't been fucking served like it's statistically supposed to. I'm sure the teammates of that match would agree.

I even made a thread about streaks earlier last week.

Maledict

You should get streaks like that though? The game isn't trying to give you an easy win because you lost three, and losing 6 or even 10 in a row is just what happens in any game? I think your understanding of statistics is flawed here - something would be wrong with the system if it did what you want it to.

scoobs

The system is built to give you a 50% chance to win each game, theoretically. Think of it like flipping a coin... each time you flip it, there is a 50% chance you'll get heads regardless of what the last flip resulted in. This can result in big loss/win streaks if you get unlucky or are playing poorly. Over time, however, you should hover around a 50% win rate.

Kioshen

Okay, I am legitimately pissed at matchmaking in Quick Match right now. Just lost a relatively close match and decided to look at the match histories of all participants and all of my teammates myself included are on a losing streak and all of our opponents just continued their winning streak. Where the fuck is the justice in that? Fuck Heroes of the Storm man, fucking Blizzard needs to get their shit together on this, I should be getting better teammates than enemies.

JYshiVB.gif

EDIT: Match in question: http://www.hotslogs.com/Player/MatchDetails?ReplayID=88936200

Don't take Quick Match so seriously. If you think you'll lose the match work on your own play instead. It's the only constant you have. QM is just a mismash of heroes played on a battleground. There's a limit to how much of a comp it can build on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom