• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

I next-to-never see Dehaka. I thought he was super fun on PTR but I haven't touched him since. Kind of wish I did see him more.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Still waiting for Hawaiian Kael'thas. I even sent some of the staff a mockup of it.
The Phoenix can be a mystical volcano that spits lava and the big fireball a flying roast pig. Standard fireballs can be pineapples, and the bomb can be a mystical palm tree that drops a coconut on their head.

Maledict

I next-to-never see Dehaka. I thought he was super fun on PTR but I haven't touched him since. Kind of wish I did see him more.

Yeah, he's one of the lowest popularity heroes in the game. in fact he's the lowest popularity "normal" hero there is, which is telling.

His problem is he can't solo tank, and yet as a double tank there are better bruisers to take. Personally, I think they need to work on his "theme" - aka the Predator. He needs to be more threatening when ganking, so that he becomes a viable bruiser tank pick compared to Zarya / Sonya / Thrall / Alarak.

kirblar

Yeah, he's one of the lowest popularity heroes in the game. in fact he's the lowest popularity "normal" hero there is, which is telling.

His problem is he can't solo tank, and yet as a double tank there are better bruisers to take. Personally, I think they need to work on his "theme" - aka the Predator. He needs to be more threatening when ganking, so that he becomes a viable bruiser tank pick compared to Zarya / Sonya / Thrall / Alarak.
Yup. The big issue is that he's too slow and isn't threatening- you can always just walk away.

Ketch

they could just fix the jankyness that is his tongue grab. It has so much potential but is fucked because of how it's implemented.

Alavard

Hes getting picked a bunch @blizzcon but i dont think he's won a single game.

There was a match on sky temple where he was picked and had a perfect tongue-grab to let his team steal a boss. Pretty sure that team won that game. One of Fnatic's matches maybe?

Zackat

Why does Samuro drink a bowl of piss on the main screen?

this has me laughing too hard.

I haven't had much time to play any games other than WoW lately, raiding and all that, how's HotS going? When does that league start? I haven't watched any esports except a few FGC things in a while.

Who is strong right now? I have been itching to play this game and I finally got some time.

I bought silverhawk KT

I just had to, such a fun skin

Should have waited for winter sale :p

If they don't do it this year I will riot.

Alur

I'm sure the Eyepad will go away for a month or two before it's put into the store individually. Not sure if the skins are gonna be like Christmas skins or not and disappear til next holiday. I would guess not, but ya never know.

brian!

Not Tassadar so much, becaise of the cooldown disparity - but yes Tracer with revealing rounds and Lunara with revealing dot are very good against him,

I feel like even without d up tass can foil a lot of samuros stuff but i dont have experience w/ the matchup

Wouldnt amount to much if hes overtuned like everyone on the internet says anyway

Alavard

I feel like even without d up tass can foil a lot of samuros stuff but i dont have experience w/ the matchup

Wouldnt amount to much if hes overtuned like everyone on the internet says anyway

The winrate charts for matchups just look so crazy for Samuro. I feel like Medivh would be a great matchup against him, and feel effective against him when I do play - combination of W and portals means I can get away from him in a hurry, mirror images are valid hero targets for his Q and for Polybomb. But apparently Samuro has a winrate vs Medivh of 71%.

But then again, the only heroes he has <50% winrate against are Cho and Gall, and that's only for 39 games recorded.

Alur

The most surprising thing about this list to me is Lili above uther/monk. Has the world really changed that much?

Yeah, I'd say so. Rarely ever see an Uther/Rehgar/Monk pick.

Malfurion --->Brightwing -> Auriel -----> Lili is the order I've seen when I've played.

Proven

Woahh, what? What was annoying about Kyle and Garrett from ITN? I've honestly never heard that before.

Core is pretty good as well, as others have mentioned. Beau is pretty knowledgeable and John knows what he's talking about most of the time. Scott has zero idea what is going on 85% of the time and forgets the names of everything. It's funny/annoying depending on how you look at it, but it surprisingly makes for a good podcast. I also like how Core goes into a random Heroes related subject to start it off. I haven't seen any other podcast do that. They typically just get into that weeks news.

Haven't listened to Lords of the Storm before, so I can't comment on that one.

My rankings:

1) ITN
2) Core
3) THH

THH could be so much better if Jake gave a half a fuck it felt like and/or brought back the OG cast. He could kill it off at this point and nothing would be lost. Kaeyoh and Dunk could do their own thing and it would be loads more interesting.

Somewhere around the time he started getting left off of casts, Jake started mailing it in on THH. He was always one of the weaker parts of the show, but now I'm pretty sure he doesn't even play the game or have much to do with it besides the bare minimum to keep getting the occasional casting gig.

Ironically, his deep dive into Overwatch with casting and podcast also failed, which was part of his claimed reasoning for stepping back from HOTS. He was too LTTP to cast, and Town Hall Overwatch hasn't had a new episode since early September.

Into the Nexus and Core are both good listens. Neither are quite as knowledgeable or "up-to-date" as I'd like, which is why THH's slow demise has been so painful for me.

Core suffers from all three players being mediocre to low level, as well as Scott having too much to do to play regularly or keep up with news. ITN often seems misinformed on news, changes, and even the meta, though Kyle is a pretty good player. Production wise they are both miles ahead of THH.

There's several good ones out there to listen to. I think the one Gillyweed and AnnaProsser did must be defunct now too, though. Haven't seen anything about it in some time.

Responding more than a day late, but the bolded is pretty much my thoughts. Town Hall Heroes was perfect because it gave me that solid attempt at high level discussion with the credibility to back it. Listening to it alone made me feel like I didn't have to watch all the VODs and follow all the events.

What's worse is that listening to too many podcasts on Heroes can get annoying when certain news or patch notes release, and then all the podcasts become 50% similar without enough opinions I find entertaining or useful enough to sit and listen through.

I'm +1 for the roster locks. Despite my utmost sympathy for Tempo Storm back then, 2015 Heroes was a great time to watch and root for teams. 2016 Heroes made it too annoying to follow any team that isn't MVP Black.

brian!

i can see uther falling off w/ things like sonya and gmane not being too relevant anymore, i feel like rehgar/illi is still pretty good. monk i can see in sss comps but otherwise he doesnt offer enough utility against all these warriors and relentless getting taken away hurts. i think they are all workable but I mean why go for them when auriel, bw, and malf exist

Ketch

i should say it's my favorite type of monk

I've been playing a little bit more.
i got samuro to 5, almost got zarya to 5

edit: also, hows c9 doing it blizzcon this year?

Alur

Responding more than a day late, but the bolded is pretty much my thoughts. Town Hall Heroes was perfect because it gave me that solid attempt at high level discussion with the credibility to back it. Listening to it alone made me feel like I didn't have to watch all the VODs and follow all the events.

Yeah.

When I say Core and/or ITN are not "up-to-date", they often seem unaware of how drastic changes are to heroes, or they are out of touch with how tournaments are going/set up/work and so forth. They aren't exactly cutting edge and that's fine.

I just miss when THH was that.

2015 Heroes was a great time to watch and root for teams. 2016 Heroes made it too annoying to follow any team that isn't MVP Black.

This is true. I enjoyed 2015 Heroes way, way more than 2016 Heroes eSports. Just no real teams to root for here in NA, rosterpocalypses all over the place, and the Korean dominance made it clear that the shuffling was getting no one anywhere. Add to that the weird times for major tournaments due to time zone issues, and the strange dates/gaps in tournaments, and it was a cluster honestly.

The Road to Blizzcon was infinitely more interesting IMO.

I'm actually impressed Blizzard managed to change the meta from burst to sustained healing, I don't think we thought they'd be able to pull it off.

Same. I'm glad they did, too. Burst meta was not very fun IMO.

edit: also, hows c9 doing it blizzcon this year?

This some next level trolling. A+.

Celegus

What is it with all the Sgt Hammers today in quick match? And why do none of them understand that you're allowed to attack not in siege mode? I literally just had one that was one shot from killing a fleeing Rehgar but decided to siege up to finish him off (and he ran away).

Super hyped for Blizzcon though! Got my virtual ticket, wife and I took work off Friday and we're not ever getting off the couch. GLORIOUS!

scoobs

What is it with all the Sgt Hammers today in quick match? And why do none of them understand that you're allowed to attack not in siege mode? I literally just had one that was one shot from killing a fleeing Rehgar but decided to siege up to finish him off (and he ran away).

Super hyped for Blizzcon though! Got my virtual ticket, wife and I took work off Friday and we're not ever getting off the couch. GLORIOUS!

This weeks brawl likely spawned an entirely new generation of terrible Sgt. Hammer players. God have mercy on our souls.

Brakke

Banned
As a Pretty Good Hammer player myself, this Brawl was hilarious. I put up 1 death over three games. Amateurs for days lol.

Milly79

I'll take the bait... maybe?

Are you talking c9 who disbanded months ago? Or 3/5 c9 (Denial) who's a top 4 NA team at Blizzcon, but won't see any results?

Dehaka is such a missed opportunity. Such a cool concept but they really missed the mark. Batrider is iconic in DOTA and is a competitive staple. Blizz took Bat's Lasso and basically made it an unreliable skillshot w almost ineffective range and cast time. such a great mechanic that could be great in HOTS too if blizzard would just buff more things in this game instead of nerfing everything and being scared.

Yeah.

This is true. I enjoyed 2015 Heroes way, way more than 2016 Heroes eSports. Just no real teams to root for here in NA, rosterpocalypses all over the place, and the Korean dominance made it clear that the shuffling was getting no one anywhere. Add to that the weird times for major tournaments due to time zone issues, and the strange dates/gaps in tournaments, and it was a cluster honestly.

yeah i miss the weekly tournaments and that ESL online league that was on tue/thurs which gives me a lot of hope for next yr pulling me back in

Yeah, this brings its own set of issues, but they're far, far more manageable.

what kind of issues? genuinely curious

i do truly think blizzard is doing the right thing taking the game in that direction. DOTA is there if people want a bursty, flashy game. I love watching DOTA. i like that HOTS is different because it's never going to out-DOTA DOTA itself at this point. burst meta just felt kind of lame in a game with map objectives that work the way they do in HOTS. just wish they'd up the skillcap

scoobs

Completely agree on Dehaka. They can't be scared to make him a good hero. Remove the delays on his skillshots, let him burrow/unburrow. Buff his shitty talents and make the speed buff in bushes baseline. He's got so much potential to be an awesome hero and they've neutered him to such a point that he really can't be effective aside from the most niche scenarios.

Its too bad really, he's extremely fun to play

brian!

He seems prtty highly regarded by upper lvl ppl
Not being able to recast e is one of the weirder design decisions along with artanis q existing

scoobs

I have seen him get picked a few times in recent tournaments but the team that picks him has lost each time I've been watching, so idk if they're just trying to make him work or if they think he is actually a great pick

brian!

I havent watched the games hes been in so i cant speak on the pick but his win rate has been atroicioz this tournament, i assume hes getting picked because he sees success in scrims

kirblar

what kind of issues? genuinely curious

i do truly think blizzard is doing the right thing taking the game in that direction. DOTA is there if people want a bursty, flashy game. I love watching DOTA. i like that HOTS is different because it's never going to out-DOTA DOTA itself at this point. burst meta just felt kind of lame in a game with map objectives that work the way they do in HOTS. just wish they'd up the skillcap
This is the fight that never ends. It goes on and on my friends. Some people got no mana not knowing what they does. And they'll continue doing it forever just because.

Dice

Completely agree on Dehaka. They can't be scared to make him a good hero. Remove the delays on his skillshots, let him burrow/unburrow. Buff his shitty talents and make the speed buff in bushes baseline. He's got so much potential to be an awesome hero and they've neutered him to such a point that he really can't be effective aside from the most niche scenarios.

Its too bad really, he's extremely fun to play
Yes to all of this, especially the delay on the skillshot. It can grab minions, which is annoying, and so it has a very narrow hitbox to be precise, yet that means it can be dodged sideways. Easily being dodged means it has to be fast/unpredictable, yet Dehaka has no speed or dash moves and can't wait burrowed, so it can easily be obvious when he wants to go for it already, so to put a long startup animation on top of that... what were they thinking?

But yeah, he's such a great concept he could be super fun. Sad execution.

Dice

How long is the stun again?
The drag is very significant, but remember Dehaka has no ability to move quickly. To get a real surprise out of it you'd need to take the stealth perk coming out of burrow, and then do the burrow in a bush the person happens to be next to unknowing and walk up to them while still in stealth, then your team would have to happen to be there for it to do anything.

As it is, the move nearly relies on the other team bodyblocking themselves, and while Dehaka has a pass-through ability to help a bit, again his slow movement works against it because the approach can easily be identified to put a stun or knockback on him. It's not the "pounce" it should be for a "stalker" character concept.

brian!

I dont play him much but mac was saying in his tier video that the extended range talent on it pretty much guarantees a hit

After playing a bunch of battlerite i feel like id tend to thinking that ppls problems with it is on the user side, like they are trying to use it as a stitches hook when it's actual purpose is follow up cc or interrupt

Alur

After playing a bunch of battlerite i feel like id tend to thinking that ppls problems with it is on the user side, like they are trying to use it as a stitches hook when it's actual purpose is follow up cc or interrupt

That's kind of hitting on the problem, though.

It is best as follow up CC, but tanks are usually the initial CC and players are trained to expect that before they follow up. Dehaka seems less useful because he can't use his ability in the way it would perform best because his team of random players expects him to drag someone to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom