• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

I don't speak the language so I assume several words can mean the same thing more or less. I'd switch to these names in a heartbeat doe and enjoy it for a bit.

Also, Google translate changes Funkelchen to Funk moose. Brightwing moose skin?

brian!

Even w/ a reduced healing hed still be a viable solo, like lets compare him to tyrande and tass who both work solo but benefit greatly from help (doesnt even have to be a support, etc, tyrael, and so on), if they are to touch his heal at all i wouldnt want it to be too heavyhanded, mainly just in a way where i can clearly and intuitively think and answer "do i want rehgar or monk here?". So its more rehgar doesnt heal as much as a pure healer -> i need to do less poor trades so my lack of a pure healer doesnt hurt me as much.

So with this line of thinking hybrids exist more like:
Tass provides huge single target mitigation, vision, waveclear, playmaking w/ force wall, and doesnt die, but has no aoe mitigation (unless you count lvl 7 which you could i guess), and no actual heal, no cc until 10 if you count that

Tyrande has a straightforward cc followup with synergistic dmg amp, can get vision, but provides a heal that is mainly useful if you can get it off multiple times in a fight and can die fairly easily w/ no escape until 13

Rehgar has healing options suitable for diff situations, and provides an aoe dmg amp, but his aoe heal is not as good as a pure healer, his burst heal has a delay, his w is mitigated by kiting and peel, and he has poor cc.

Like maybe hybrid is the wrong word, it's more like the support identities become clearer and some need a little help to raise their potential even higher

Monk has best aoe heal and great pick off synergy w/ cc or stitches, can be a good counter against something like single warrior muradin, is hard to kill esp after 13, but needs his team to clump for full value and has no cc

Like i want there to be meaningful and specific pros and cons for each support and for these to be pretty transparent

Since they arent changing qm i expect every new support to be able solo, but that doesnt mean they have to be great at it

Maledict

I guess my question for you would be this: If you're not occasionally shielding yourself or using the double shield, why are you in the middle of the fight now but you weren't pre-buff or even last Spring? I don't really see a reason to be there if the damage isn't there. Maybe you personally were, but that's not the way the majority of Rehgar's have ever played.

Rehgar's weren't there before when he was Q focused. They weren't there before when his feral lunge was an auto pick and did even more damage. So why now if the damage or healing gets nerfed?

I don't see what the tradeoff is. You're at a huge risk for dying cause you have no CC or mitigation and you aren't really doing much damage anyway, so why not play in the backline like before?

EDIT: Also lol, this is the best non-English name ever: Der Schlächter. Should change Butcher's name to that permanently IMO.

I didn't play him prior to the last patch. And last patch he had to take all chain heal talents, and couldn't take feral lunge, so he was just a healbot - because without those talents his heal was so anaemic it was just plain sad. Feral lunge is what makes him go into combat - it's an engage and it's decent damage especially for finishing someone. Without that he wouldn't be in melee.

to me he just feels like a variant on the Kharazim theme - a melee support character. I've seen Rehgars played without going into combat at the appropriate time, and it's a complete waste of the character. It's like Greymanes who don't go into combat when you can get a kill, or monks who never do melee dps. Yes, you can play that way, but it's not a good way of playing and doesn't utilise the character fully - and just like those two characters, playing Rehgar well depends on you knowing when it's safe to go in and when it isn't. He contributes just as much as Kharazim does in combat overall, so why wouldn't you put him in combat?

(I've played games where I've ended up going the totem build because it was just death to go into combat with them, which was fine although less bum biting which was sad).

I don't speak the language so I assume several words can mean the same thing more or less. I'd switch to these names in a heartbeat doe and enjoy it for a bit.

Also, Google translate changes Funkelchen to Funk moose. Brightwing moose skin?

Der Funke is spark, so Funkelchen or Fünkelchen would be spark(l)y imo. Moose is Elch so FunkElchen > Funk Moose.

Schlächter and Metzger are synonyms, Fleischhacker or Fleischhauer would also work. To kill an animal to be processed is called schlachten though.

Maledict

Like i want there to be meaningful and specific pros and cons for each support and for these to be pretty transparent

Since they arent changing qm i expect every new support to be able solo, but that doesnt mean they have to be great at it

Is it really possible to have meaningful differences between each hero though, when you're looking at 100+ heroes for these games? I'm honestly asking, I don't have enough experience in other MOBAs to say otherwise.

And is it a bad thing where two characters might be very similar, and it comes down to personal preference which you prefer - after all, there can't be THAT much design space for auto attacking ranged characters surely?

Again, am asking those who know more about other MOBAs honestly!

brian!

I dont mind rehgar sitting back (like ideally for me hes squishy enough to not stay in with impunity but needs to weave in and out to get z/e value, draw spells, w/e) as long as he isnt sitting back just healing, and the w changes that fundamentally. Like there doeant seem like a big difference between sitting back and pressing q vs. sitting back and pressing q and w, but it's a pretty big difference.

@maledict
You can have pretty differentiated heroes but as the game grows the meta becomes more focused, resulting in more "best in slot" style metas. So a meta in which aoe mitigation is king would limit the best supports for that particular era. However ive never seen a large moba w/ multiple maps, so that should really make things interesting

Alur

When Rehgar always took Feral Lunge, he darted in for crits on squishies or to finish. Beyond that, he was mostly in the back though. I don't see why it wouldn't return to that same method.

Alur

Der Funke is spark, so Funkelchen or Fünkelchen would be spark(l)y imo. Moose is Elch so FunkElchen > Funk Moose.

Schlächter and Metzger are synonyms, Fleischhacker or Fleischhauer would also work. To kill an animal to be processed is called schlachten though.

You are the best. Is ez game ez lyfe universal or can we get the German version? :p

brian!

I just went der schlacter -> the slaughter, which is incidentally the same technique i used in every spanish class ive been in (did not do well in spanish)

You are the best. Is ez game ez lyfe universal or can we get the German version? :p

Leichtes Spiel leichtes Leben, sadly I don't know much slang nor german 1337.

I just went der schlacter -> the slaughter, which is incidentally the same technique i used in every spanish class ive been in (did not do well in spanish)

I never learned for my spanish course but because I already had french and latin for multiple years at the time I still managed to do averagely bad.

Kioshen

EDIT: LOL TLV on free rotation. Li-Ming's are at full mast.

I played with a TLV vs a Li Ming before the free week. I've never heard the death sound so much in a game. I shudder to think that now it will include people that don't play them often.

Alur

I did the same thing in my spanish courses brian. I even live in an area with a pretty large hispanic population now...barely remember any of it. Course that was 10-15 years ago too though :p

I'm 9 1/2 myself. Rocking a 64% win rate.

The struggle to 10 is real.

Dat Stimpack + headstart advantage.

and higher winrate

Against Lunara teleport shields are amazing, just teleport to cancel out the damage. You miss out on a lot of damage, but can't deal any damage while you're dead and dominance against a murky is just easy mode.

brian!

only thing I feel fairly certain about is they wont let rising storm be at full stacks on recast, prtty interested to see what they will do

Alur

Despite all the talk about Rehgar we had, I (selfishly and stupidly) hope they don't nerf him. These free wins have been nice after a month of QM shitshow. Now we win no matter what the comp is thanks to Mingus and Baegar (12-2 since patch with those two in a duo).

He's probably getting hit (even though I still haven't seen a tweet from Browder or post from a blue saying something - I could've missed that though). Maybe some tweaks to Ming and
a huge buff to Sonya for Soka and
I dunno where they go from there. Feel like most heroes in a good spot bar the same couple they seem determined not to touch.

Unrelated, but is there a reason I'm missing for Kharazim dropping 4.1%? Just the dominance of Rehgar?

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit

The Rehgar Effect said:
QbTifuu.png

Edit: the disintegrate upgrade at 20 is nasty af.

Alavard

Quick Match. The enemy is a premade 5-man with Rehgar and Li Ming. We have a 3-man, 2 soloes, and neither of the aforementioned heroes. Wrecked.

Zackat

Quick Match. The enemy is a premade 5-man with Rehgar and Li Ming. We have a 3-man, 2 soloes, and neither of the aforementioned heroes. Wrecked.

I had this with 3 tanks, Azmodan, and me playing as Kharazim. Completely wrecked. Rehgar is incredible right now.

Alavard

I'm starting to think the biggest problem with Li-Ming is her W. It travels way too fast. 90% of the times I try to run to the side to get out of the way and I still get hit. There's just no counter play.

Celegus

I'm starting to think the biggest problem with Li-Ming is her W. It travels way too fast. 90% of the times I try to run to the side to get out of the way and I still get hit. There's just no counter play.

Absolutely. It does an insane amount of damage, moves super fast, gets really big, and pulls you in if you do manage to almost get away. Especially when you only see it at the last second from behind an obstacle, goodbye half of my health bar. Even in the early game, she has enough mana to spam it and out-lane most other heroes easily.

Alur

The Ketch has come back to the Nexus! I should be around tonight. Can definitely be around at some point if I knew when. And yes, /join ARAM. It's good stuff.

Ketch

The Ketch has come back to the Nexus! I should be around tonight. Can definitely be around at some point if I knew when. And yes, /join ARAM. It's good stuff.

Should be later tonight around 8:30 or 9 depending on how tired I am

Alur

They've gotta give us some carbot portraits in game. And the stick horse.
o shi--- OW is back

Hey Blizzard, the Nexus is over here! From this article...

Jeff Kaplan to Polygon said:
Some of the other changes coming in custom games seem aimed squarely at competitive play, while others can make Overwatch ... just weird.

"We went crazy with the rule sets that we put in the players' hands," Kaplan said. "They can make it so they're not allowed to have Tracer, for example, or you can start a custom game where everyone has to play as McCree or Genji or Hanzo, and that's it. You can make it so there can only be one unique hero per game, meaning only one person per game can be Tracer or Zarya. You can set up one unique hero per team, or two ... We have a rule in there where every time your player dies, it randomly respawns you as a hero — you don't get to pick. We have a mode where you can turn hero-switching off if you want.

These things sound fun. We like fun. Can we have these fun things in our game too? Also some badass HOTS-esque skins there. And they did all this during the beta break...

...gives me a little more hope that we'll see the features we want sooner rather than later. Plz Blizz.

brian!

Pretty into zuna's want for heroes to be brought up to liming rehgar heights rather than them being brought into line w/ everything else

kirblar

Hero-swapping actively turned me off of Overwatch. I'm curious what happens w/ that, since they seem to be taking a melee-esque approach to letting the community pick the rules.

Maledict

Pretty into zuna's want for heroes to be brought up to liming rehgar heights rather than them being brought into line w/ everything else

I'd disagree. Li-ming in particular is nova on steroids right now, and I think she actively needs nerfing in some respect. Same with Rehgar - love his new kit, but it's way too strong.

When faced with a choice between increasing 45 heroes power, or nerfing two, they should settle for nerfing two.

kirblar

This is a fallacious way of thinking that's complete bullshit. You have to establish a line somewhere, and when people pop above it, you hammer them down.

This is based in people's issues with loss aversion- they hate things being taken away WAY more than the like being given things.

brian!

Agree w/ the overtuning, numbers, w/e, but id like for heroes to see similar relative power to lehgar w/ picks having more to do w/ specific kit differences. Loved what happened w/ the scaling changes, but wish it wasnt done across the board and instead on a case by case basis w/ the idea behind what the scaling changes were meant to do (more dangerous early game, less wiggleroom for mistakes, etc.)

I dont think it's fallacious, it's the design basis behind dota and id love to see it adapted to hots, not that i see it happening tho

kirblar

Agree w/ the overtuning, numbers, w/e, but id like for heroes to see similar relative power to lehgar w/ picks having more to do w/ specific kit differences. Loved what happened w/ the scaling changes, but wish it wasnt done across the board and instead on a case by case basis w/ the idea behind what the scaling changes were meant to do (more dangerous early game, less wiggleroom for mistakes, etc.)

I dont think it's fallacious, it's the design basis behind dota and id love to see it adapted to hots, not that i see it happening tho
Heroes are being scaled differently. Zagara's baseline stats are better than other heroes, but she doesn't scale as well. Lunara scales better than other heroes, which is why she gets scarier late game.

DOTA doesn't work for a game that's constantly evolving/in flux -they have a lot of very rigid things in place that make things work because their updates are large and infrequent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom